Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 27, 2016 12:00 PM

Jul 2015
What ways do you think Dragon Ball Z could have been made with a more cohesive and compelling story line? Things that I was thinking were things such as

1. Not making the characters so damn powerful.

2. Making death an actual consequence

3. Doing a better job at foreshadowing certain villains

4. Keeping Frieza around a little longer, since he was the main focus of the series

What do you guys think?
May 21, 2016 3:59 AM

May 2016
*Warning for Opinions!*

The way I see it, Dragon Ball franchise as a whole should have been treated both by it's creator, and it's fanch the way the actual so was (at least to me!) - a parody of some crappy fighting game - say, mortal combat or street figter - with no actual redeemin gualitys in it, such as compellin story, plot, nor character. Akira Toryjama is a bad character, through and through, and even if we all in the myanimelist-forum should huddle up and put all of our creative ideas into a bunch, it still wouldn't be nearly enough to save this anime, nor this franchise. When someting is written as a crappy parody about itself - premise and all - it's not an easy clean-up... not for anybody, and least to Akira himself!

But, if I have to bee honest, you already brought up some really valid points. In any fightin anime, no one should be too OP, and death - sides be damned! - should have some meaning! I mean, what's the point of killing a bud guy, if he - there's really no 'she' in this picture - just keeps coming bac for more... never learning! Same for heroes... if you can even call them that! Boring sosiopath of stupid psychopath isn't really my definition to a hero! And when it comes down to villains... Cell and Buu don't exist to me, so... there.

What I would like to add, is that the series itself, should have been WAY more shorter - even shorter than kai. When you have such a big cast, with characters... erh, no actual personality, and all those episodes to spend on them, why not use those episodes to actual development ja inner conflicts, instead of just stairing and flailing angrily at us?! Put as some journey with the character! Let me know something more about them, than their body masses! And if someone really is so incompetent or useless, that you don't even notice, if he's not there anymore, kill him, and keep him dead - I'm looking at you Tien, Yamcha, Krillin... Piccolo, Vegeta.

And we all sure know, that Akira isn't really shining, when it comes down to romances, or 'friendly interaction' - for that guy, i punch in a face is as same as a hug! So... if you can't write something, then don't put it in!! Ever! I can't write about politics, so I'm not gonna even try! Same with romances! They aren't easy to do, and when done badly, they're really painful - Vegeta and Bulma together... come on, really?!!

So what I'm trying to say here, is to reset the whole system, so to say. Blank slate, where everything is re-done, but better this time! I would really like to see Team Four Star re-writing the whole franchise, start to finish! Now that would be awesome!
"Watching a bad anime, is like watching your cat die - it's sad, it's painful, and it's never over too quickly." - Pahatar
May 30, 2017 5:43 AM

May 2017
In the first instance, they could've tried to 'compress' fights. As in, actual fighting instead of talking, chatting, day-dreaming, showing side-stories and so on. Sometimes you feel like they are not even trying to fight, lol. As if they were called to work during their free time and they are pissed and not in the mood. Sometimes they pause the fight just to state obvious facts or spit out cheesy insults. So yeah, if they made the fights shorter and more intense, that would be great.

Second instance, they focused too much on saiyans and the other characters became somehow useless. They can cut off Yamcha, Tien, Roshi and even Krillin, and you wouldn't really notice their absence. The saiyans became too powerful indeed, they could make characters grow proportionally.

That would be also because, indeed, enemies are too many and they are absurdly more powerful one than the other. You had the enemy who could destroy a planet in seconds, and then the next one's left to be as powerful as creating a new Big Bang or something. The power of the characters should be more balanced, thus making more realistic adventures.

'2. Making death an actual consequence'
That also. In DB, when someone died was an actual tragedy. You had to wait for an year, then go search for the balls which was a risky and difficult adventure and if Kami died, it was then a greater adventure to travel the galaxies to convince another namek to take over Kami's place. Now it's ok to kill characters, because Goku can use inter-transmission to go all over the planet for the balls and if the new Kami dies, it takes him seconds to reach Namek and get hold on some other balls. This basically makes people pretty much immortal.

'Vegeta and Bulma together... come on, really?!!'
Yes, there are a lot of plot-holes and even thought I didn't finish DBZ yet, it's really mind-blowing. How did Bulma and Vegeta even get to do the dance with no pants? Vegeta is the epithome of a misanthrope. As for Bulma, well WTF, the guy killed not only your boyfriend but a lot of innocent people with no remorse. How did she even get herself to fall for Vegeta and carry his baby? No background story whatsoever.

Apart from that, great show.
The mindfucker.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 227 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Nov 24, 2013

10 by Berry-Vodka »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 226 Discussion

11 by Berry-Vodka »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 225 Discussion

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 224 Discussion

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
Yesterday, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 223 Discussion

12 by Berry-Vodka »»
Yesterday, 3:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.