Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Durarara!! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Is it wrong to like Takashi Nasujima?
Feb 24, 2016 4:41 PM
Jul 2018
pulled from my q in the ketsu forum, because moooore opinions, that's totes what i need

This is about the "pervy teacher" guy, if you're unfamiliar with him, refer back to episode five of S1, and if you're caught up you probably know who he is.... or don't. Anyway.

Oh boy, do I have a question for all of you! This is something I have been dying to post for awhile now, but haven't drummed up the guts to do until now...

I'm a young person, relative to a lot of fans of this series, still not out of my teens yet. And I have... a specific issue, with the fandom, over a character I like, specifically, well... I'll just come out and say it.

Most merely just call him a series of nicknames starting with "perverted", Haruna screams his name over and over, and I know him by his full name that a lot of people do not. He is almost universally detested, and I used to be embarrassed by the fact that I liked him to the point where I hid it from the majority of everyone.

Takashi Nasujima.
I really, really, really have an interest in that horrible little 'sexy harasho' character that everyone hates.

Nasujima, who was not given much development or advancement in the way of the novels or the general material at all, was at least characterized as being an awful person through and through, and though from the beginning to the end of the series in both novel and animated form (now), I understood that, but something simply drew me to him. Okay, at the time, when I first marathoned the original series, I did think he was attractive, but that wasn't the only thing backing my interest, and it still isn't.

I do think the possibility of him being so mentally upset beneath his exterior to the point where he's able to

is quite intriguing, though I hypothesized long before that he was "issued" and starting making up a backstory for him on my own which has evolved into a rather long project that still has yet to be fully completed.

The point remains, because of Nasujima's actions, do you feel that it is an obligation of any viewer to hate him, moreover, is it supposed to be thought of as wrong to like him, even when to an extent, his actions if they weren't sexual would be comparative with Izaya's, who is almost universally loved, but given far less negligence in the story and because of this has a slew of fans? Is it morally wrong of me, especially as a teenage female, to actually enjoy the appearance and awful disgusting intrigue this man brings me, that usually makes others back away in revulsion? Or do you feel it's just okay for anyone to like morally corrupt characters if they at least acknowledge their actions as wrong?

This is something I have been admittedly fighting myself for years over, because I have had this fascination with Nasujima in particular since I was younger, roughly 4-5 years ago when I started watching the series, and that really hasn't subsided much, especially after his reappearance. I was in my early to mid teens at the time, so it was not an easy part of my life, I was extremely upset as far as things were going mentally, but he brought some kind of odd beacon into my life that certainly brightened my enthusiasm.

I am still sorely disappointed and feel like there is a lot of wasted potential that the author scrapped for him, because I really do sense a certain -pathy is seeded within him, and he could assume the role of a main antagonist- although at the same time i understand how vulgar he is and many people could not handle that sort of behavior being displayed in a full scale production, let alone in small doses. All the same, I would love to see it one day, because his potential as a character who acts behind the scenes pulling strings interests me far more than just physical fighting.

Overall, would you say that I am right, wrong, or neither, for favoring Nasujima, even in a series where everyone else is mentally abhorrent in one way or another or fraught with some sort of disorder to the point where the headless horsewoman is the most sane character among the cast? In a cast of crazy, is it as wrong to like the one who is among the most, if not the most sexually deviant of the bunch, and is the repulsion associated with liking him only so high because of the sexuality of his diseased mind?

Be honest, don't hold back.

other information / useful links:

removed-userFeb 24, 2016 8:10 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Proselyt - Jan 14, 2010

330 by Beatnik »»
Feb 25, 1:21 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

katzenjammer - Feb 18, 2010

299 by Kurkitos »»
Feb 5, 6:31 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kirika- - May 27, 2010

205 by dr_hydrangea »»
Jan 31, 4:32 AM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usami-Haru - Mar 18, 2010

455 by ryzxgum »»
Jan 19, 11:09 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Mar 31, 2010

336 by 2life »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.