Forum Settings
Forums

Why are the manga DB guidelines the way they are?

New
Feb 24, 2016 2:57 AM

Jul 2014
I’ve read things here and there, and have the feeling that the key subject is discussed is missing in those posts, and that is what is myanimelist. What is its purpose? As such, I’m starting a post focusing only on that question. Why those guidelines?

As far as I can tell, it’s a tool that was design to fulfill roles that were decided by the designers. “MyAnimeList is the world's largest database and social community for anime and manga.” Nothing more, nothing less.

All the rules and guidelines are there to reach this objective. They are a mean to an end, not an end in themselves. As such, any argument saying “things have to be done this way because that is what the rules say” relying solely on an arbitrary rule without justifying its existence can be considered as bigotry. I haven’t read any disclosure saying myanimelist have a partnership with some publishers and will thus only accept their work in the data base, or anything like this, so I assume a choice to set this rule was made at some point to allow the system to work. An arbitrary rule that only exist to attend a problem, not a holy law that needs to be protected from obscurantism.

Now that this is clear, I would like to reiterate some questions that I believe haven’t receive the light they deserves for everybody, me included understand why they exist, and why they should be uphold. Because that’s what people are asking when you think about it: “why do those rules exists? What good do they bring?” Because we all know the drawback they bring, and if they can’t justify themselves, I don’t believe we need them.

Why does myanimelist only accepts content from so called “reputable publishing company”?
Bear in mind this question is deeply connected to another one “Why refuse exposure to small/less renowned publishers who could greatly beneficiate from it?”, this questioning myanimelist’s ethic. Is this another corporation conspiracy? Is it the illuminati, or even daech?

Why only allow written content on the site?

I personally believe those limits aren’t counterproductive as the objective set is being “the largest database for anime and manga”.
This being said, I believe the reason is simply that there isn’t enough (wo)manpower and/or not enough money to remove those rules, and that the only problem is that the moderators are making a poor job at explaining it. I would still have some ethical problems the reputable publishing policy, but at least, things would be clear. “Leave people in the darkness, and they will rumble. Give them light and they will be humble” Yakkululz™

So yeah, creating a sticky post answering these questions (or even making this one sticky, but that would be too much honor for the humble servant that I am”) would be a good thing to do.
YakkululzFeb 24, 2016 3:42 AM

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Modifications/Duplicates Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aarana - Jan 4, 2009

7684 by Una_Sama89 »»
1 hour ago

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

130 by Barbaduk »»
Yesterday, 10:28 AM

» Surprising Manga Still Needs Approval

Uutama - Apr 19

0 by Uutama »»
Apr 19, 1:01 AM

» TO THE ADMINISTRATORS OF MAL! BIBLIOMANIA!

carhs14 - Aug 12, 2023

11 by jere344 »»
Apr 18, 7:52 PM

» Pending approval items

Marrzo - Apr 17

0 by Marrzo »»
Apr 17, 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.