Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 14, 2016 4:37 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
So, I thought we would try something different this month. So, I ask users to suggest titles for a the Hidden Gem. Now we are going to vote on those choices.

Ran to Haiiro no Sekai
Meet the Urumas, a slightly dysfunctional family of four sorcerers. Mom, being the most powerful sorceress around, works away from home keeping the world safe. Dad picks up the slack and takes care of the family. Except when he's out, which is when the older brother Jin finds himself in the unenviable position of keeping tabs on his sister Ran. And Ran, the youngest, is a willful girl with too much power and too little wisdom. Let's take a look at Ran's everyday misadventures, shall we?

Outer Zone
A Twilight Zone/Outer Limits-esque romp through the occult and supernatural led by your elven-eared hostess, Misery.

Love Riron
Loser Yarahata Kanji can't even have a normal conversation with a girl let alone have any kind of relationship with one. But one day a ghost named Aiya appears and declares that he has been tasked with the mission to change Kanji's life. At this rate, the Yarahata name will not live on so Aiya will become a love doctor and coach him on how to develop relationships with girls.

The first hurdle comes when he starts a part time job at a convenience store and sees that his co-worker is a hot girl named Yoshizato Saki who also happens to be the store owner's daughter. With the help of Aiya, Kanji, although stumbling along the way, has a conversation with her and builds a relationship. But he has miles to go if he wants to be the kind of person that can date beautiful women.

Doumu
A twisted old man, gifted with extrasensory powers, silently holds sway over an entire block of apartments. The occupants are puppets for him to control. Life is his to give...and to take. But suddenly there is a new voice in his head, and before he knows it, a young girl with her own battery of psychic abilities has arrived to challenge him! Soon, the sprawling complex becomes a battleground between two minds possessing incredible, unimaginable power.

We will announce the winner on the first of March!
BrandMar 1, 2016 8:50 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 14, 2016 6:27 PM

Sep 2009
I'll second Ran to Haiiro no Sekai. Its visual presentation is nothing short of stunning - EVERYTHING in this manga looks gorgeous and has its own distinctive art style that brings to life the setting, which can best be described as suburban high fantasy. There's a sense of whimsy to Ran that's incredibly hard not to enjoy, in a kind of escapist sense that it makes its setting seem so ridiculously enjoyable. I know how subjective this sounds, but this manga gave me a big dumb goofy grin every time I read it, and there's something to be said for that.
Feb 14, 2016 7:20 PM

Apr 2011
I'll go ahead and second Ran, if for no other reason then I'm already reading it.
Feb 15, 2016 11:25 AM

Nov 2014
Feeling pretty proud of myself that two of my suggestions made it in! (Ran to Haiiro and Love Riron)

Going for Ran as well, such a wonderful coming of age story with an interesting fantasy setting that makes for some impactful scenes. Great characters and art to boot.
Feb 20, 2016 6:52 AM

Aug 2009
I guess there's no need for any more votes, but I'll pitch in for Ran as well. It was a surprisingly charming story with sumptuous art.

Doumu is not half bad either, providing glimpses of what would come in the mangaka's masterpiece Akira, but I feel Ran wins this round.
Feb 21, 2016 7:07 AM
Jul 2018
Love riron, since I'm in the mood for romance

Outer zone has like 117 chapters but it has a one line synopsis lol

Doumu seems interesting
removed-userFeb 21, 2016 7:18 AM
Feb 25, 2016 7:14 PM

Nov 2009
I'm voting for Doumu. Realy liked that one
Feb 27, 2016 2:11 PM

Aug 2009
aqualiv said:

Outer zone has like 117 chapters but it has a one line synopsis lol

True. I suppose that's because hardly anyone has read it. It doesn't seem to be even fully scanlated, let alone have a physical English release.
Mar 1, 2016 8:35 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Suggest a Hidden Gem of the Month! ( 1 2 3 4 )

Brand - May 2, 2017

181 by Mr_Libra »»
Apr 8, 10:06 AM

» April 2024 - Believers

Brand - Apr 3

0 by Brand »»
Apr 3, 6:22 PM

Poll: » Vote for the Hidden Gem of Manga - April 2024

Brand - Mar 17

0 by Brand »»
Mar 17, 7:24 AM

» March 2024 - Isabella Bird in Wonderland: Unbeaten Tracks in Japan

Brand - Mar 2

0 by Brand »»
Mar 2, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Vote for the Hidden Gem of Manga - February 2024

Brand - Jan 16

0 by Brand »»
Jan 16, 7:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.