Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 14, 2016 10:56 AM

Dec 2015
I liked it because it allowed me to show to my brother the story I enjoyed since it started on paper (I read the scans before the first animation came out).
It is not a masterpiece, it has a big flaw (it expects you to have watched the first animation before), it has a correct technical level for its length (I suppose) but is nothing wonderfully crafted either.
Actually, I think people praise it for its story, what is sad because, obviously, the story does not come out from the animation but the manga. So, let's talk about it...

The fact I admire the manga is based on two things:
- its genre: the adventure shônen. Yes, it tells the classic tale of young boys who travel in order to realize their dream/personal goal, they face many obstacles, meet many new "friends" and stumble upon a larger intrigue than their own (but still linked to them). It is indeed a very common thing. The hero does not train to surpass himself. No, his physical strength is mostly acquired before you start to follow him, his knowledges too (except about what he wants). But you see him/them mature through their experiences. The obligatory pieces of humour for the genre are not too heavy and come along nicely with the pages. The action is present too but the author manages to keep it out of the focus without making it seem pointless. (and she even offers a tonne of action for the grand finale, I could have live with less ^^")
- The story never goes out of rail. Everything seems natural and well planned, even the surprises. The attention never switch to something entirely different like what you could experience with manga who lost themselves.

Finally, the side characters (except some mindless ennemies, who are born like that) are all attractive in their own way. None is purely present for the sake of comedy, action, or drama. They are less caricatural than usual.
Rei_IIIFeb 14, 2016 10:59 AM
Feb 14, 2016 10:59 AM

Feb 2015
Mkim said:
Fox_123 said:

And then after watching Titanic, going to the action will be the last task, Am I wrong? And that's where Carnal Desires takes place. :)
A camp fire. All I could think is me puking while getting in the location. :( :(
I dunno mang, I never even started the first task, so I dunno whats the last task is (◑_◑) It's like... Too far away to consider it
Wot? Are you... Are you alergic to fire? to burning wood? to camps?

Dude, I have motion sickness... I just found that out when we're in the airplane and after an hour or so I puked. Then drowsy feeling.
I've never really went to camping nor considering to go.
I also don't know the first step in dating since po*n and douji doesn't include those. :D
Feb 14, 2016 11:03 AM

Sep 2013
Fox_123 said:
ichii_1 said:
Looking back on it, it's a great series but not something to get crazy over like this
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--_TNX9vDX--/1370399486553203559.jpg

Dude that's something quite curious. What anime is that, School Love Live! or whatever it is...

yes
http://myanimelist.net/anime/15051/Love_Live_School_Idol_Project :)
Feb 14, 2016 11:03 AM

Feb 2015
yazecchi said:
The first 10-15 episodes are badly done because they wanted to rush that specific introduction content just so they could follow a different path than original FMA

The anime is the best shonen ever made imo, the only thing that i HIGHLY disliked about it was the horrible comedy( mocking Ed's height multiple times per episode, etc.)

All in all, i loved the anime

Well that's probably the difference between Shouen + Comedy and Parody + Comedy.
I'm also considering watching it again, yet part of me doesn't want to, I want to explore other animes once I finished my "Plan To Watch" animes. I put it there and yet I just sometimes watch anime there.
The last time I watch anime with my brother was Kiss X Sis. And then my mother saw me watching it because my brother got bored so he just did his thing.
Feb 14, 2016 11:04 AM

Feb 2015
ichii_1 said:
Fox_123 said:

Dude that's something quite curious. What anime is that, School Love Live! or whatever it is...

yes
http://myanimelist.net/anime/15051/Love_Live_School_Idol_Project :)

No Yuri tag? There's something fishy about that anime...
Feb 14, 2016 11:04 AM
Jan 2013
Fox_123 said:
Mkim said:
I dunno mang, I never even started the first task, so I dunno whats the last task is (◑_◑) It's like... Too far away to consider it
Wot? Are you... Are you alergic to fire? to burning wood? to camps?

Dude, I have motion sickness... I just found that out when we're in the airplane and after an hour or so I puked. Then drowsy feeling.
I also don't know the first step in dating since po*n and douji doesn't include those. :D
Oooh, I double feelya man, I'm also bad with em moving things, I just take those sleeping medicines when on long trips.
"I also don't know the first step in dating since po*n and douji doesn't include those. :D"
≖◡≖ Let's just say, I also share these feelings you have there
gone bai bai
Feb 14, 2016 11:05 AM
Mar 2014
The thing with FMAB isn't that it's a masterpiece by everybody's standards, but rather that it doesn't fail in any facet of its presentation or narrative by the standards of the vast majority of those who watch it and those who have watched it in the past. Can you try to explain why you think the story is unthinkably stupid? It would help in trying to weigh your opinion against the general one.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Feb 14, 2016 11:08 AM

Jun 2015
I really love FMA. It touched my heart and so on ^_^ I know it differs from manga but I never care about it. Then I started to watch FMA:B I understood that sometimes manga can go wrong. Girls with tiny pandas? wtf. I stopped somewhere between 30 and 40 episodes, I really gave it a chance.
And I hate it when people want to forget the brililant first season just because it's not like manga. But still I don't hate the second season itself.
Feb 14, 2016 11:09 AM

Feb 2015
Mkim said:
Fox_123 said:

Oooh, I double feelya man, I'm also bad with em moving things, I just take those sleeping medicines when on long trips.
"I also don't know the first step in dating since po*n and douji doesn't include those. :D"

We didn't prepared any sleeping meds or something that provides me oxygen in my body not be drowsy, so I just sucked it up...
Lol. The pattern in dating and the pattern in doujin is different, is there any pattern in dating? Well I'll just leave my love life to the God's that happens to be there, yet doesn't there; a pigment of our imagination.
Feb 14, 2016 11:11 AM

Feb 2015
Evlora said:
I really love FMA. It touched my heart and so on ^_^ I know it differs from manga but I never care about it. Then I started to watch FMA:B I understood that sometimes manga can go wrong. Girls with tiny pandas? wtf. I stopped somewhere between 30 and 40 episodes, I really gave it a chance.
And I hate it when people want to forget the brililant first season just because it's not like manga. But still I don't hate the second season itself.

The first anime I've seen in Television was Doraemon, I don't know the version but it was in every morning in Phi. I think it was 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM (commercials are included)
But I the first anime that really kept me watching more is Naruto, and second is Detective Conan.
Feb 14, 2016 11:13 AM
Jan 2013
Fox_123 said:
Mkim said:

We didn't prepared any sleeping meds or something that provides me oxygen in my body not be drowsy, so I just sucked it up...
Lol. The pattern in dating and the pattern in doujin is different, is there any pattern in dating? Well I'll just leave my love life to the God's that happens to be there, yet doesn't there; a pigment of our imagination.
heuehuheu, oh boy, this headed to a kind of a downer direction huh.
gone bai bai
Feb 14, 2016 11:15 AM

Feb 2015
Mkim said:
Fox_123 said:

I'm feeling the same thing, I've never consider this to be awkward yet this is awkward in some ways.
Feb 14, 2016 11:18 AM
Jan 2013
Fox_123 said:
Mkim said:

I'm feeling the same thing, I've never consider this to be awkward yet this is awkward in some ways.
Well, donmai donmai, it's not like it's uncommon considering the place we are (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
gone bai bai
Feb 14, 2016 11:21 AM

Feb 2015
Mkim said:
Fox_123 said:

Well, donmai donmai, it's not like it's uncommon considering the place we are (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Lol. I think our previous convo needs to me moved to other part of MAL, specifically in the thread where it is appropriate. :D
Feb 14, 2016 11:25 AM

Jun 2015
Well, I love FMA:B, but if someone don't like it it's ok, until you don't you judge the tastes of other people of corse
Feb 14, 2016 11:25 AM
Dec 2013
Neither. I vastly prefer Brotherhood over the 2003 version, though.

With FMAB: I think the military theme is kind of a turn-off. The comedy is terrible. I'm indifferent towards the characters. The middle episodes were somewhat boring, but still interesting enough to keep watching to the end. Final 12 episodes were pretty exciting, I guess. Has a satisfying ending. Fight scenes were meh. Soundtrack was meh. It was an okay show. Nothing special. Gave it a 7/10. Wouldn't put it anywhere near my Top 100 favourite anime.
wildhoodFeb 14, 2016 12:07 PM
Feb 14, 2016 11:26 AM
Jan 2013
Fox_123 said:
Mkim said:

Lol. I think our previous convo needs to me moved to other part of MAL, specifically in the thread where it is appropriate. :D
hue, I believe there isn't a proper place for a chat if not on a club on throught comments or PMs
(But don't worry, I don't think any mod will check this further into this thread, just gotta make it continuously relevant to the topic it was designed)
gone bai bai
Feb 14, 2016 11:46 AM

Feb 2015
Mkim said:
Fox_123 said:

hue, I believe there isn't a proper place for a chat if not on a club on throught comments or PMs
(But don't worry, I don't think any mod will check this further into this thread, just gotta make it continuously relevant to the topic it was designed)

Lol... Well the mods will probably terminate this thread. And that's the end.
Feb 14, 2016 11:50 AM

Mar 2014
Haven't watched Brotherhood but FMA was above average and the movie was worse
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 14, 2016 11:52 AM

Dec 2012
I'm neither. Just indifferent. It's painfully just above average, don't really get what people see in it. Just one of those shows for me.
Feb 14, 2016 12:04 PM

Feb 2015
tsudecimo said:
I'm neither. Just indifferent. It's painfully just above average, don't really get what people see in it. Just one of those shows for me.

I want to clarify, "[...]Just indifferent.", I don't get it, you're indifferent from the rest of the users who have watched FMA:B, and yet its just a average to you, and there's also a lot of users who sees FMA:B as average.
Comic_Sans said:
Haven't watched Brotherhood but FMA was above average and the movie was worse

Someone also said the same thing...
Feb 14, 2016 12:09 PM

Dec 2012
Fox_123 said:
tsudecimo said:

I want to clarify, "[...]Just indifferent.", I don't get it, you're indifferent from the rest of the users who have watched FMA:B, and yet its just a average to you, and there's also a lot of users who sees FMA:B as average.

I meant as an answer to the title of the thread. I don't love it nor hate it, hence indifferent.
Feb 14, 2016 12:14 PM

Nov 2012
FMA 2003 is a masterpiece. Brotherhood is a generic shounen wish fulfillment bastardization of it; its only saving grace being Olivier Armstrong.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Feb 14, 2016 12:16 PM

Feb 2015
MiniSiets said:
FMA 2003 is a masterpiece. Brotherhood is a generic shounen wish fulfillment bastardization of it; its only saving grace being Olivier Armstrong.

I don't get your allusion there. Nevertheless, if FMA 2003 is a masterpiece, why then, the majority liked FMA:B, is it because there's a specific scene that pushed a lot of people to like it, or the majority of user who watched FMA:B find that specific scene exiting or other words that is pleasurable to see?
Feb 14, 2016 12:18 PM

Jun 2015
I love it. Great story, impeccable world-building, characters full of depth, great animation, abstract themes, you name it. It deserves the praise it gets in my opinion.
Feb 14, 2016 12:19 PM

Jun 2015
Fox_123 said:
MiniSiets said:

I don't get your allusion there. Nevertheless, if FMA 2003 is a masterpiece, why then, the majority liked FMA:B, is it because there's a specific scene that pushed a lot of people to like it, or the majority of user who watched FMA:B find that specific scene exiting or other words that is pleasurable to see?

He's another one of those "it's shounen, so it sucks" folks.
Feb 14, 2016 12:24 PM

Feb 2015
AltoRoark99 said:
Fox_123 said:

Ohhhh a person who tends to justify Shounen as bad/overrated. I get it, I mean Naruto is at least the first anime I watched, and like it, not necessarily love it. But it was my stepping stone to be sucked into this "mess". Not all shounen are bad, but I do admit they sometimes generally are just half-assed anime that still says, "I'll save my friends even if my life is on the line." or something along those lines. Well that is also for me, who still following Naruto and Detective Conan.
Feb 14, 2016 12:25 PM

Jun 2014
I loved FMAB, but imho FMA has better art style
Feb 14, 2016 12:28 PM

May 2015
I liked it fam.
Can't say that I loved it though, so I never gave FMA a chance.
Feb 14, 2016 12:29 PM

Feb 2015
Larinel said:
I loved FMAB, but imho FMA has better art style

I'm just assuming but wouldn't they should have the same art style since they're just from the same source.
In that note, I gotta admit FMA:B OP & ED are fantastic, I love it, the song is calm...
Feb 14, 2016 12:30 PM

Jun 2015
Fox_123 said:
MiniSiets said:

Very simple answer: it followed the manga.
The end.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Feb 14, 2016 12:31 PM

Feb 2015
TakeruChan said:
I liked it fam.
Can't say that I loved it though, so I never gave FMA a chance.

Fair enough, what do you like about FMA:B, I guessing you also liked the OP and ED....
Feb 14, 2016 12:33 PM

Feb 2015
katsaroulhs said:
Fox_123 said:

The end.

Ok... A very simple answer indeed. So is it same to assume, you're saying is, "just read the freaking manga and be done with it."?
Feb 14, 2016 12:33 PM

Nov 2012
Fox_123 said:
MiniSiets said:

The original series doesn't have as high production values or as flashy action scenes. It's a question of style versus substance, and unsurprisingly the average casual viewer may gravitate toward the former rather than the latter. There is also a strange obsession with original source material that many people cling to. Brotherhood follows its source material more closely, but that doesn't make it inherently a superior product. Generally original authors tend to understand their source material better and thus write more consistently, but this isn't a guarantee, and FMA is really one of the exceptions to the rule. It always comes down to the actual content of the writing and dialogue itself, and the reality is FMA 2003 just has so much more depth and impactful drama in it. I think a lot of people were turned off by its less-than-idealistic ending, but anyone expecting a fairy tale ending for a series as dark as it was did not pay attention to its themes and the direction it was heading. FMA 2003 subverted genre expectations with characters having to make real sacrifices and experience real loss.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Feb 14, 2016 12:37 PM

Jun 2015
Fox_123 said:
katsaroulhs said:

The end.

Ok... A very simple answer indeed. So is it same to assume, you're saying is, "just read the freaking manga and be done with it."?

No?
Or maybe. Whatever one wants. I usually read the manga if I liked the anime, but I know that the manga continues/is different. Which I don't think is the case with FMA:B.

Was FMA a good anime? It sure as hell was. But a lot of anime fans (myself included) tend to appreciate straight adaptation the most.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Feb 14, 2016 12:37 PM

Nov 2012
AltoRoark99 said:
Fox_123 said:

The original series is technically a shounen too, it just figured out how to not be generic and boring.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Feb 14, 2016 12:38 PM

Jun 2015
MiniSiets said:
Fox_123 said:

The original series doesn't have as high production values or as flashy action scenes. It's a question of style versus substance, and unsurprisingly the average casual viewer may gravitate toward the former rather than the latter. There is also a strange obsession with original source material that many people cling to. Brotherhood follows its source material more closely, but that doesn't make it inherently a superior product. Generally original authors tend to understand their source material better and thus write more consistently, but this isn't a guarantee, and FMA is really one of the exceptions to the rule. It always comes down to the actual content of the writing and dialogue itself, and the reality is FMA 2003 just has so much more depth and impactful drama in it. I think a lot of people were turned off by its less-than-idealistic ending, but anyone expecting a fairy tale ending for a series as dark as it was did not pay attention to its themes and the direction it was heading. FMA 2003 subverted genre expectations with characters having to make real sacrifices and experience real loss.

The characters in Brotherhood experienced loss as well. And the themes were just as profound, if not more so.
Feb 14, 2016 12:40 PM

Dec 2012
I enjoyed the hell out of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood personally. 10/10
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 14, 2016 12:43 PM

Dec 2012
Fox_123 said:
MiniSiets said:

Technically more people liked FMA 2003 than FMA:B. In Japan, which make it the majority overall.
Feb 14, 2016 12:43 PM

Nov 2012
AltoRoark99 said:
MiniSiets said:

The characters in Brotherhood experienced loss as well. And the themes were just as profound, if not more so.

Yeah, they experienced loss when they shared the same plot points as FMA 2003; not so much when they started to deviate.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Feb 14, 2016 12:44 PM
Mar 2014
Fox_123 said:
AltoRoark99 said:

Ohhhh a person who tends to justify Shounen as bad/overrated. I get it, I mean Naruto is at least the first anime I watched, and like it, not necessarily love it. But it was my stepping stone to be sucked into this "mess". Not all shounen are bad, but I do admit they sometimes generally are just half-assed anime that still says, "I'll save my friends even if my life is on the line." or something along those lines. Well that is also for me, who still following Naruto and Detective Conan.
It's not like other demographics don't have stupid repetitive shit in them too.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Feb 14, 2016 12:45 PM

Apr 2015
Well its cool that you like what you like, no need to be swayed by MAL ratings ( i still regret ever picking up prison school, and i didn't really enjoy mushishi).
Also planning my dads birthday. Its tomorrow. Happy val y'all
Feb 14, 2016 12:50 PM
Sep 2015
Neither. I think it's good. Just not very good. It's well written, well animated, has interesting characters but that's all. I wouldn't say it stands out or anything. It's just good.
Feb 14, 2016 12:53 PM

Jan 2013
I thought the original FMA had a subpar ending....but that could be false.
Feb 14, 2016 12:59 PM

May 2015
I really like fullmetal alchemist broterhood, i respect if other dont like it. But this show is well written, i dont thik is a waste of time. Sorry for my english
Feb 14, 2016 1:04 PM

Jul 2015
FMAB is the most versatile anime ever created. If you don't enjoy it at least a small amount, you are in the very small minority.
Feb 14, 2016 1:06 PM

Jun 2015
MiniSiets said:
AltoRoark99 said:

Yeah, they experienced loss when they shared the same plot points as FMA 2003; not so much when they started to deviate.

What about when
Feb 14, 2016 1:36 PM

Nov 2012
AltoRoark99 said:
What about when

kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Feb 14, 2016 2:01 PM

Feb 2015
TaichoMo said:
Well its cool that you like what you like, no need to be swayed by MAL ratings ( i still regret ever picking up prison school, and i didn't really enjoy mushishi).
Also planning my dads birthday. Its tomorrow. Happy val y'all

Dude I'm still here waiting for Prison School's BD release. Wait.. It's been a long month since I've been waiting, there are times when I wanna just watch the censored version, but my quality pride stops me from trying...
I'm quite fond of Mushishi, episodic yet meaningful EP's. There's also some EP's that I didn't like, but overall in my opinion it's very good.
More studios should adapt animes that have themes rather than just cliche animes with so many fanservice, yet again, I'm being hypocrite if I said that since I just finished Sora no Otoshimono, and I actually thought its good.
Feb 14, 2016 2:15 PM

Jun 2015
MiniSiets said:
AltoRoark99 said:
What about when

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.