Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 27, 2016 10:19 AM

Sep 2015
To be honest, I read manhwa these days.. (That's why my MAL list never grows)
The same goes for manhua too
Though when I started reading manhwa the first time I wasn't a big fan of it because I was so used to manga format and Japanese names, which alienate me at first.
Mar 27, 2016 10:55 AM

Jun 2014
No, Manwha can be very good! Some of my most favorite pieces of work are Manwha (like Tower of god for example). At the beginning the colored illustrations or unique drawing style took some time to get used to but overall most of the Manwhas I read were really great. I don't think one should just dismiss something because its a different kind of medium (in all honesty, Manga an Manwha do share a lot of similarities...). Story is an important factor as well, thus one should not let something pass just because of the stlye. There are great cartoons/comics our there nobody on MAL would even bother to look up just because it's a different medium which is quite sad because many people are missing out on some great storytelling :)
Mar 27, 2016 12:06 PM
Mar 2015
Manhwa is not manga, they're completely different.

I personally have read a few and I truly enjoyed them (even favorited one).

I think that it is worth a try because you read them from left to right like a normal book and some of them are colored.
Mar 29, 2016 2:39 PM
Jan 2016
I've read "Book Club", and that was decent. Was searching for a short horror to pass an afternoon, and it wasn't bad. The style did seem different to manga, though, but I'm not sure whether that was just this particular artist, or manwha in general.
Mar 29, 2016 8:21 PM

Aug 2014
Personally I've been into webtoons more than manga. There are the unique stories to be sure, but it is rather exactly because of the long strip and colored format I just love.

Think about it, on top of drawing the characters and backgrounds as one would in any normal manga, the webtoon artists have to focus the color on every aspect of the chapter. Sure because of it, the quality in drawing some aspects like the background may suffer, but every single week these authors have to put forwards at least a consistent quality of art each week. And then for action scenes there are the fights and superpower auras, etc. I just love how the long strip compensates for the action, for when you scroll down continuously it feels like you're practically watching an anime.
Apr 10, 2016 11:50 PM
Feb 2015
damn right I read them and I would read American or European "manga" if it existed beyond a few webcomics and superhero comics.
Apr 11, 2016 12:18 AM

May 2014
No way, Manhwa was what introduced me to the world of Anime (and Manga of course) all those years ago!
The first two series I ever read were Model and Kill me, kiss me, and they're BOTH Manhwa...
of course I didn't know the difference back then, but the fact still stands.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2016 11:58 AM

Aug 2010
I don't read many at all, but I don't dislike them or anything.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Apr 23, 2016 2:02 PM

Feb 2009
Manhwa has got Noblesse and Annarasumanara, to name a few.

How could anyone dismiss it.
Apr 23, 2016 2:26 PM

Feb 2014
Well, I obviously don't, however I don't go out of my way to try to find manhwa or manhua either, and those few I have read weren't anything I would write home about.
Apr 23, 2016 3:20 PM

Oct 2015
No.

Manhwa can be more entertaining than the standard manga.

It offers something manga cannot

Entertaining to any comic enthuasiasts
Apr 23, 2016 3:55 PM

Sep 2013
It's not that I necessarily disregard them, it's that I've never really found one that I like - with the exception of the tragically little known "The Color of" series.
Apr 23, 2016 4:19 PM

Mar 2016
Nope because there are some really bad ass ones that i really like lol XD
Apr 23, 2016 4:20 PM
Jul 2018
I don't discriminate. I found quite a few online Korean comic strips (not sure if they'd be considered manhwa or not), that I have enjoyed reading, nothing wrong with chanching a few manhwa series. The art style is still pretty reminiscent of manga, the names and the way it reads are all that terribly differ.
Apr 23, 2016 5:58 PM

Jan 2014
Nope.
So many good stuff to read!
Apr 24, 2016 12:10 AM

Jul 2015
I barely see the difference . I only realize it by the names of the characters.
Apr 24, 2016 2:18 AM

Mar 2008
Manhwa are awesome, but a lot of them are not listed here on MAL
damn rules
Apr 24, 2016 9:31 AM

Oct 2014
why would I if I already read japanese stuff then i might aswell read korean comics and chinese novels
Sasuke or Kaneki I can't decide
Apr 27, 2016 9:56 PM

Dec 2014
At first I didn't liked manhwa but some of them are just so good reads. Reading, Cheese in the Trap. I'm now starting to like the art too.
Apr 28, 2016 7:49 PM

Feb 2015
Not at all. There are quite a few manhwa that I genuinely enjoy.

I don't actively seek them out though, because they can get frustrating for reasons already mentioned above.

Oftentimes the art is weird, and reading the panels L to R always takes a while to get used to. And don't get me started on the names. Korean names are kind of confusing and they take me ages to remember. I've actually completed whole manhwa series only remembering one or two characters' names.
Apr 28, 2016 11:45 PM
Sep 2015
I enjoy reading them just as much as manga, but remembering the names is a bit annoying.
Apr 29, 2016 12:27 AM

Jan 2015
Nope, Bastard is now one of my favorite read and it's a manhwa. There's definitely some great one's out there.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Apr 29, 2016 12:34 AM

Apr 2013
bobzanny said:
Nope, Bastard is now one of my favorite read and it's a manhwa. There's definitely some great one's out there.

Lol I caught up to Bastard on the raws.

Final Chapter is out next week I think. Quite good man, what a ride
Apr 29, 2016 12:41 AM

Jan 2015
hoopla123 said:
bobzanny said:

What!?! Final chapter is upon us, ugh that's so sad to hear since I just caught up to the translation like 2 days ago. Do you know how many chapters the raw is up to?

P.S. You're alive! I coulda sworn exams did you in for sure this time lol.
Apr 29, 2016 12:44 AM

Apr 2013
bobzanny said:
hoopla123 said:

What!?! Final chapter is upon us, ugh that's so sad to hear since I just caught up to the translation like 2 days ago. Do you know how many chapters the raw is up to?

It's up to chapter 91 atm.

I am back from the grave =d
Apr 29, 2016 12:45 AM

Jul 2013
I prefer manwha over manga so no.

The art style is better, it's in color, the long strip style makes it easier to read.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Apr 29, 2016 12:46 AM

Jan 2015
hoopla123 said:
bobzanny said:

Damn, translations are only half way, has the second half been as good/better than the first in your opinion?

Fuchsia said:

The art style is better, it's in color, the long strip style makes it easier to read.

Yea the coloring for manhwa really entices me more than manga.
Apr 29, 2016 12:49 AM

Jul 2013
bobzanny said:
hoopla123 said:

Damn, translations are only half way, has the second half been as good/better than the first in your opinion?

Fuchsia said:

Yeah, especially manwha like windbreaker or tower of god, they really use the color to bring the world to life.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Apr 29, 2016 12:52 AM

Apr 2013
bobzanny said:
hoopla123 said:

Fuchsia said:

bobzanny said:
hoopla123 said:

Fuchsia said:

I think both were good.

Second half is great.

Mandeuk is a bro man
Apr 29, 2016 12:59 AM

Jan 2015

Love the use of color with ToG. Is Windbreaker good? Been meaning to give it a try here soon.
Apr 29, 2016 1:14 AM

Jul 2013
bobzanny said:

Love the use of color with ToG. Is Windbreaker good? Been meaning to give it a try here soon.

Wind breaker is listed as a sports/biking manwha but in fact it's comedy gold with a shit ton of references. Of course the biking is a big part of it but the comedy is seemingly the best aspect of it thus far.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Apr 29, 2016 1:20 AM

Jan 2015
Fuchsia said:
bobzanny said:

Wind breaker is listed as a sports/biking manwha but in fact it's comedy gold with a shit ton of references. Of course the biking is a big part of it but the comedy is seemingly the best aspect of it thus far.

That's good to hear, the biking element was the factor keeping me from checking it out despite hearing some good things. Thanks for the info.
Apr 29, 2016 7:57 AM

Jul 2014
It depends on the art. I have nothing against manhwa as a whole especially is the art is pretty good. But just like with manga, if it doesn't look visually appealing, I don't bother.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Apr 29, 2016 8:11 AM

Jun 2014
Nope, never. I genuinely love manhwa,every one I randomly picked up to read had great story and nice art

May 2, 2016 7:21 AM

Oct 2014
Absolutely not. There are amazing manhwa's out there. It's just a little harder to find (most probably because they are not as easily accessible).

I just started reading Oldman for example. It's really good so far. Although it's a chinese manhwa (not korean). Not sure if you're only referring to Korean manhwas.
May 24, 2016 12:43 PM

Feb 2015
lalalallama said:
Absolutely not. There are amazing manhwa's out there. It's just a little harder to find (most probably because they are not as easily accessible).

that's not the case nowadays. many webtoons/manhwa are available. in fact mangahere (not sure about other sites) has recently exploded with them around 2 weeks ago.

I just started reading Oldman for example. It's really good so far. Although it's a chinese manhwa (not korean). Not sure if you're only referring to Korean manhwas.

by that, do you mean hero (you ling)? if you are, that's great! it's an extremely good story.

Jul 10, 2020 11:38 PM
Jul 2020
yes/ idc if im being racist. ive had experienced working with those people(koreans) and they are rude as fuck.
Jul 14, 2020 7:26 AM

Jun 2014
I've read quite a few manhwa and not a single one was good. All of them were shitty wish-fulfillment powerfantasies below isekai-tier.
These days I automatically dismiss any and all manhwa or manhwa adaptations.

Jul 14, 2020 11:24 PM
Jan 2020
Not really, im new to it but the art style looks appealing.
Jul 15, 2020 12:15 AM

Jul 2019
absolutely not

with the surge of webtoons adaptations its hard to ignore them

𝘚𝘰, 𝘸𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘨𝘢𝘯 𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘭𝘴 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨, 𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘦 𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘨𝘰𝘪𝘯𝘨
Jun 7, 2021 2:15 PM
Feb 2021
Yes fuck Korea and Koreans. They always claim how much they hate Japan and Japanese people because of warcrimes but when Japan strikes gold with its pop culture they steal it and pretend its there thing. Koreans disgust me how can you betray your own country in this way just because the subculture of you're supposed "enemy" is more profitable. I hope NK nukes SK from the map and the us removes it from the map afterwards we only need one country that copy everything for profit and Korea was just way to late to claim that place.
Jun 7, 2021 2:40 PM

Jun 2014
I don't read any Chinese or Korean works, as they are not manga.

Jun 8, 2021 2:25 PM

Mar 2021
it's not that i dismiss manhwa - or manhua, for that matter - it's just that i've never found one that i'm interested in. but who knows? my tastes are eclectic, so that could change
Jun 9, 2021 1:54 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah. Most of them use the same shitty isekai formula. Plus I'm not a fan of how they look, even if they're black and white they still look bad to me.
Jun 10, 2021 2:06 AM

Feb 2019
I have only read few manhwa and they were shit.
Jun 10, 2021 2:23 AM

Jun 2020
Nah, if it's good it's good. If it's bad it's bad. It doesn't matter if it's Manhwa or manga.
Jun 10, 2021 2:40 AM
Mar 2017
I don't dismiss them .Two of the weekly series I read are manhwa, but most of it is mass produced with little perspective of having a nice conclusion.

Even though they usually have some nice starts and premises, they're usually the definition of a series tailored to suit the taste of the target public. I totally dislike some Korean values, like how most they put money and looks above all (almost all hove sickly parents from overwork/humble yet the second the have workers under them get in a better position they act as money monsters).

Some popular manhwa like Eleceed doesn't even do basic perspective properly and most episodes are just checklists of things the author wants to include to keep readers, rather than any actual plot advancement.
Jun 10, 2021 2:42 AM

Oct 2018
Definitely not. I don't care about the nationality as long as the story is good.

【🇳​🇪​🇼​ 🇵​🇷​🇴​🇫​🇮​🇱​🇪​ 🇩​🇪​🇸​🇮​🇬​🇳​】

I accept all friend requests! - Feel free to add me!

Jun 10, 2021 3:05 AM

Dec 2018
I've seen one episode of Tower of God and it made me dismiss the whole format
Stuff in the streets, Stuff with drip in the sheets
Jun 14, 2021 9:42 AM
Sep 2020
No, because dismissing it based on where the art comes from is a dumb non-starter of an idea. MAL's unwillingness to change their rules on web materials in their database is a major turn off to using the site for me. If it's an issue of moderating, they need to hire more than their one DB mod, to be honest. But that's not likely to happen lol.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
6 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
8 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
8 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Today, 4:50 AM

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

29 by Jutrio »»
Yesterday, 10:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.