Forum Settings
Forums

First direct detection of gravitational waves :)

New
Feb 11, 2016 12:53 PM

Apr 2013
This is probably one of the biggest discoveries of my generation, so happy to be alive! I don't know how many MALers actually care but here it s goes:

LIVINGSTON, Louisiana—In a large press event today, the scientists behind the LIGO experiment announced the first direct detection of gravitational waves, ripples in the fabric of space-time generated by strong gravitational interactions. The news, following weeks of rumors, confirms a major prediction of general relativity, and comes a century after Einstein first formulated the theory.

Based on the details of the signal detected, the LIGO team estimates that the event that generated the gravitational waves occurred 1.3 billion years ago. That's when two black holes, one 29 times the mass of the Sun, the second 36 times, spiraled into each other. When the collision took place, the equivalent of three times the mass of the Sun was converted directly to energy and released in the form of gravitational waves. For a brief fraction of a second, this single event produced more power than the entire rest of the visible Universe combined.

arstechnica does a pretty good job of covering the story: http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/02/upgraded-ligo-detectors-spot-gravitational-waves/

So we're witnessing the beginning of a new field in astronomy: gravitational wave astronomy. With this, so many things that were previously invisible or undetectable to us are now reachable. Unlike light, gravitational waves aren't affected by interstellar dust AND it makes it possible for us to peak into the Universe's first 400,000 years (during that period it was opaque, meaning you can't use the electromagnetic spectrum to observe it). Also, GW pretty much confirms the existence of cosmic strings.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 11, 2016 1:08 PM

Mar 2008
I'm not sure what other implications this would have. I mean would it give them a better idea on what gravity actually is or not?
Feb 11, 2016 1:42 PM

Mar 2011
This is interesting, though the timing is kinda funny. I mean they've been talking about it for a couple years now as if they knew it for a fact (though they made sure to say it wasn't proven), and now its proven.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Feb 11, 2016 1:53 PM

Dec 2015
This is awesome! Einstein is still making breakthroughs in physics from the grave.
Feb 11, 2016 1:54 PM

Jan 2009
traed said:
I'm not sure what other implications this would have. I mean would it give them a better idea on what gravity actually is or not?

in the macro world gravity is pretty much understood from what i know because of Einsteins theory of general relativity, this gravitational waves is part of Einsteins theory

but gravity is not understood in the micro world (sub atomic level) or in the field of quantum mechanics/physics, thats why they are looking for this so called loop quantum gravity

this is a big news since Einstein himself predicted its impossible for it to be detected because of how small this gravitational waves are, but look at here today that scientists finds a way to detect it
Feb 11, 2016 2:10 PM

Jan 2009
"With gravitational waves, we do expect eventually to see the Big Bang itself," he told the BBC. http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35524440

one step closer to understanding the Big Bang more
Feb 11, 2016 4:52 PM

Aug 2013
This is awesome and super exciting.
Feb 11, 2016 5:09 PM

Oct 2013
Interesting news, but I'm more interested in scientist finding life on other planets.
Feb 11, 2016 7:42 PM

Apr 2014
NudeBear said:
Also, GW pretty much confirms the existence of cosmic strings.

Not really well-versed in Physics so dunno if this makes sense but is this related to the string theory? Like having other dimensions? O.o

Sometimes it's scary thinking how closer we're getting to the truth (or are we really?) that one day we'll get to the bottom of it and then everything just ends.
Feb 11, 2016 8:13 PM

Apr 2013
cherushi-chan said:
NudeBear said:
Also, GW pretty much confirms the existence of cosmic strings.

Not really well-versed in Physics so dunno if this makes sense but is this related to the string theory? Like having other dimensions? O.o

Sometimes it's scary thinking how closer we're getting to the truth (or are we really?) that one day we'll get to the bottom of it and then everything just ends.

Evidence for cosmic strings doesn't prove superstring theory, but since gravitational waves are what cosmic strings use to release energy it might open the door for experimentation in superstring theory for the first time ever. :D!
Feb 11, 2016 8:36 PM

Mar 2008
Wait what is superstring theory? I've only heard of string theory and M theory. I'm not even sure which one theoretical physicists favour more.
Feb 11, 2016 8:44 PM

Oct 2014
Finally some good news. Only having bad news to talk about is quite tiring.
Feb 11, 2016 9:02 PM

Aug 2010
how do ligo detectors work anyway? Seems pretty incredible that they can be directly detected now.
Feb 11, 2016 10:46 PM

Jan 2009
ThRippJck said:
how do ligo detectors work anyway? Seems pretty incredible that they can be directly detected now.

it was explained here https://youtu.be/1Tstyqz2g7o?t=5m0s back in October
the Gravitational Waves discovery actually started in September last year and its just confirmed today because they are trying to verify if its true or not

traed said:
Wait what is superstring theory? I've only heard of string theory and M theory. I'm not even sure which one theoretical physicists favour more.

afaik they are all the same or highly related to each other, M-Theory is the unified version of different kinds of String Theory and SuperString Theory is kinda a synonym to M-Theory, but all of them are still talking about String Theory

and nah i never heard that claim that gravitational waves will open the door to finally test string theory, in fact a lot of latest news is that string theory might be impossible to test because of how ridiculously small or weak the signal of it is - https://www.quantamagazine.org/20151216-physicists-and-philosophers-debate-the-boundaries-of-science/

degFeb 11, 2016 11:23 PM
Feb 12, 2016 2:22 AM

Apr 2015
How come two colliding black holes produces more power than the combined power of the "visible" universe if the visible universe has millions of black holes, with chances that these black holes (in the visible universe) could be bigger than the colliding two black holes?
#CHEXIT
Feb 12, 2016 3:31 AM

Jan 2009
Imeon said:
How come two colliding black holes produces more power than the combined power of the "visible" universe if the visible universe has millions of black holes, with chances that these black holes (in the visible universe) could be bigger than the colliding two black holes?

i dont understand that either, but then again nuclear fusion has the same logic of outputting more energy than it initially have, so maybe it works the same way
Feb 12, 2016 6:29 AM

Nov 2014
It's pretty interesting to read about. And it's being very hyped like "we were deaf until now, but today the universe spoke to us" you must be ballsy or right to make such a claim with your reputation in the line.

Feb 12, 2016 6:44 AM

Jan 2014
Pretty cool indeed to see an old theory produce such a result. I'm not sure about the energy output thing either. It seems like that needs more of an explanation. Is it just more energy on a micro scale because it doesn't seem like it rivals a supernova in output.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 12, 2016 2:23 PM

Apr 2015
j0x said:

i dont understand that either, but then again nuclear fusion has the same logic of outputting more energy than it initially have, so maybe it works the same way

But.... but...

1BH + 1BH = Visible universe ( + 1,000,000 BH)???????????

That doesn't makes any sense.
#CHEXIT
Feb 12, 2016 3:18 PM

Jan 2009
Imeon said:
j0x said:

But.... but...

1BH + 1BH = Visible universe ( + 1,000,000 BH)???????????

That doesn't makes any sense.

i totally dont know too, but im sure there is a good explanation, nuclear fusion for me does not make sense too because it outputs more energy than it initially have
Feb 12, 2016 3:48 PM

May 2014
Imeon said:

Maybe its just that those waves were close enough and powerful enough to be detected rather than the more spread out and individially weaker masses of other objects that are as close?
I've been here way too long...
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.