Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 10, 2016 3:54 PM

Jul 2015
What exactly causes huge split fan bases in certain animes?

Take Clannad for example. I have never seen so many opinions on such extreme ends of the spectrum both bad and good.

What is the root of this?

Mod Edit: This is not a simple listing thread. Please don't turn it into one
TyrelFeb 10, 2016 5:18 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 10, 2016 4:13 PM

Oct 2014
If you do something perfectly then people with opposing taste will hate it. I didn't like Kiss x Sis even though it's considered to be one of the best ecchi anime in existence.
Feb 10, 2016 4:17 PM
Mar 2015
The Monogatari series.
I don't think I'll understand the fanservice, but hey, the way it takes genres like mystery, drama and comedy was great.
Feb 10, 2016 4:19 PM

Apr 2014
I was a 'fan' of Attack on Titan, Tokyo Ghoul and Parasyte at first but then I just drifted towards the opposite side of the pool as time went on and my hype for them wasn't being fulfilled. OPM on the other hand has been the first hyped up anime in a while I fully enjoyed; so maybe its just how the 3 former series were aiming for a more 'serious, yet slightly annoying at times' as opposed to how OPM is meant to be for fun.
Feb 10, 2016 4:19 PM

Sep 2015
Comedy, for one. Comedy's highly subjective and there's not really a definitive standard for what is funny and what is not. That will typically split people down the middle.

To take your example of Clannad - feels and drama can be very hit and miss. Some might love melodrama but others are going to hate it. When something is exaggerated to make a point it's only natural that people will have quite differing opinions on it.
I personally dislike the first season of Clannad (I've yet to see AS) but I found the comedy to be bad, the characters to be unbelieveable and was simply unable to become invested in their troubles.

In a more general sense, if a show is catered around one main thing (such as feels in Clannad) then you either like that main premise or you dislike that main premise.
I'd posit that's one of the reasons why FMA:B is usually so well regarded - it isn't hinged on one particular element. It has broad appeal.
The more niche and specific something is, the more polarising it will be.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 10, 2016 4:20 PM

Jul 2014
This is why fanboy/girlism is a disease.
Feb 10, 2016 4:32 PM

Jan 2012
I feel like most long-running anime or feelsy anime fall in the love or hate category.

And of course, Sword Art Online is a love/hate anime lol
Feb 10, 2016 4:34 PM

Jun 2012
zombie_pegasus said:
If you do something perfectly then people with opposing taste will hate it. I didn't like Kiss x Sis even though it's considered to be one of the best ecchi anime in existence.
By who exactly? People just glorify it for it not being stuck in the romantic development hell that most ecchi anime suffer from. Aside from saliva scenes and being borderline hentai, it is actually a really boring show.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 10, 2016 4:37 PM

Jan 2012
zombie_pegasus said:
Oh God, that's the one anime I have given a 2 too. That anime was terrible.
Feb 10, 2016 4:48 PM

Oct 2014
Holybaptiser said:
zombie_pegasus said:
By who exactly? People just glorify it for it not being stuck in the romantic development hell that most ecchi anime suffer from. Aside from saliva scenes and being borderline hentai, it is actually a really boring show.
It all depends on what fetishes you have. If you look at the reviews in the first three there is one 9 and the next is a 1. http://myanimelist.net/anime/5042/Kiss_x_Sis/reviews

Elfen Lied, Tokyo Ghoul, SAO, NGNL, School Days, and pretty much any "it sucks because it's popular" anime also fall into this category.
Feb 10, 2016 4:51 PM

Oct 2015
Guilty Crown is that one show that i cant seem to figure out if I love it or Hate it....Its a mystery to me as much as other people too...

"I wish I was sober to feel the pain
So many dark days I can’t explain"

----------
My Sigs
MAL Interview
Feb 10, 2016 4:54 PM

Jun 2012
zombie_pegasus said:
Holybaptiser said:
It all depends on what fetishes you have. If you look at the reviews in the first three there is one 9 and the next is a 1. http://myanimelist.net/anime/5042/Kiss_x_Sis/reviews

Elfen Lied, Tokyo Ghoul, SAO, NGNL, School Days, and pretty much any "it sucks because it's popular" anime also fall into this category.
I mean I read the manga for Kiss x Sis and I definitely don't think it sucks because it's popular but that it is nothing great. I never even knew until now that the show was considered in such high regard. And I honestly doubt many people truly believe Elfen Lied and School Days are bad because they are popular, since they are just infamous for their awful endings and ugly and misguided portrayals of the human condition. Infamy is not popularity.

And regardless of one very vocal individual around here, I still don't think Tokyo Ghoul is actually bad. It might be like a 5 or a 6 out of 10, but it's not bad.

Yeah, there is this hipster mentality that some people have, but they are just overreacting and make it seem like they have nothing better to do. Letting other people's hype getting to you and frustrating you to the point where you feel like you can make a point by adjusting a number in your list differently is a very petty and pathetic thing.

Feb 10, 2016 4:58 PM

Apr 2014
You mean Kill la Kill, people think it's good other people think it's trash. I belong to the latter group of people.
Feb 10, 2016 4:59 PM

Oct 2014
Holybaptiser said:
zombie_pegasus said:

I mean I read the manga for Kiss x Sis and I definitely don't think it sucks because it's popular but that it is nothing great. I never even knew until now that the show was considered in such high regard. And I honestly doubt many people truly believe Elfen Lied and School Days are bad because they are popular, since they are just infamous for their awful endings and ugly and misguided portrayals of the human condition. Infamy is not popularity.

And regardless of one very vocal individual around here, I still don't think Tokyo Ghoul is actually bad. It might be like a 5 or a 6 out of 10, but it's not bad.

Yeah, there is this hipster mentality that some people have, but they are just overreacting and make it seem like they have nothing better to do. Letting other people's hype getting to you and frustrating you to the point where you feel like you can make a point by adjusting a number in your list differently is a very petty and pathetic thing.
I didn't actually say that all of my examples were in that category. Some people actually do like Elfen Lied for its intended reasons. Similarly, some people consider Another to be the best horror anime and others consider it to be the best comedy anime.
Feb 10, 2016 5:08 PM

Jun 2012
zombie_pegasus said:
Holybaptiser said:

I didn't actually say that all of my examples were in that category. Some people actually do like Elfen Lied for its intended reasons. Similarly, some people consider Another to be the best horror anime and others consider it to be the best comedy anime.
People are free to like whatever they like and I won't be judging them for it, but to say that those series (except maybe Tokyo Ghoul and NGNL) have a huge schism in lovers and haters is a bit of a stretch :P

Anyway, we're digressing here. I actually think the topic of this thread is fundamentally flawed since it enforces the idea of a black and white perspective on the reception of a series and insinuating that there is no grey area where people don't think of something as either great or awful - or at least to the extent that those in between are non-factors. As I said in my last post, some of those series for me were average (and in not a disparaging way) which entirely goes against the notion this thread is trying to insinuate.

Feb 10, 2016 5:13 PM

Dec 2015
Pretty much anything with a lot of fanservice will automatically be polarising.
Feb 10, 2016 5:19 PM

May 2015
You either think Kill la Kill is a masterpiece or is close to one or you think it sucked.

You either like FMA and FMA:B or say FMA:B is better then FMA. In which your taste sucks.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Feb 10, 2016 5:32 PM

Dec 2015
Does Lucky Star count as a Love it or Hate it anime?
Feb 10, 2016 5:37 PM

Jul 2015
zombie_pegasus said:

I think you make a very interesting point here. It's more of a personal taste issue rather than an objective flaw in an anime.
Feb 10, 2016 6:45 PM

May 2012
I'm in the camp of people who rate Kill la Kill highly, but it's a very divisive show. I see it as a satire about fascism and regimentation in Japanese life. Others think it is a silly fanservice show with no depth. The screenwriter, Nakashima Kazuki, also wrote a stage play that was adapted by Madhouse into the anime Oh! Edo Rocket. It's also a wacky satire about political repression and one of my long-standing favorites.

Before that I think Madoka Magica generated pretty split opinions. Some people couldn't get past the lolis to see the Faustian story underneath.
Feb 10, 2016 8:23 PM

Oct 2014
zombie_pegasus said:
Holybaptiser said:

elfen and sao would still suck if they were not popular
Feb 10, 2016 8:27 PM

Jul 2014
I don't know why people are like this but its annoying and it gives me a headache when I have to read there dumb fucking comments.
Feb 11, 2016 12:08 AM

Apr 2013
Sword Art Online is probably the best example.

I think it's because the first episodes promised a lot and then it continuted to not meet the expectations. Some people like me accepted it and continuted to enjoy it and others were put off and disliked it.
Feb 11, 2016 12:16 AM

May 2009
Well there's this whole "opinion" thing that people seem to have. I don't really understand it but apparently there are people out there that don't like the same things I do simply to make life more difficult for everyone who does. I don't understand why anyone would do that, but humans are savages after all.

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Feb 11, 2016 12:19 AM

Jul 2013
Sword Art Online without any doubt. Here in MAL, I see people hating it with all their souls and people who defends the series to death. There is not exist a middle term (well, apart of me, of course).
Feb 11, 2016 12:31 AM

Mar 2014
After Story is 7th on MAL, so people who already dislike it will hate it even more because that's what people do. This seems to apply to One Punch Man, Shigatsu, SAO, and some other popular titles as well. FMA:B and Steins;Gate are generally considered good by most people though.

RainyRai said:
You either think Kill la Kill is a masterpiece or is close to one or you think it sucked.
This is one of the most divisive shows I've seen. I happen to be part of the group of people who thinks it saved anime. Texhnolyze seems to have a similar effect based on people's reactions and arguments here.
Feb 11, 2016 12:35 AM
Sep 2015
The first 3 examples that come to mind are: Monogatari, Haruhi and Gintama

Monogatari is just unique so you either love it or hate it. The same applies to Haruhi. About Gintama, well I don't exactly know. It's probably that it wasn't that good in the beginning so people who dropped it think it's shit and people who kept on watching until it became better think it's the best thing ever.
Feb 11, 2016 12:47 AM

May 2015
Future Diary is an anime you can't be indifferent too. It's too original and bizarre. Either you find it to be a complete, incomprehensible mess or you love its madness and energy.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 11, 2016 12:50 AM

Jan 2016
Long running or highly rated anime. People who love Clannad are most likely repulsed by Gintama, and vice versa.
Feb 11, 2016 1:45 AM
Jul 2015
I think the hate an anime receive is directly proportional to the love it receive from its fans.

The more famous and beloved an anime is, the more haters it will atract.

Feb 11, 2016 1:50 AM

Nov 2009
Holybaptiser said:
Anyway, we're digressing here. I actually think the topic of this thread is fundamentally flawed since it enforces the idea of a black and white perspective on the reception of a series and insinuating that there is no grey area where people don't think of something as either great or awful - or at least to the extent that those in between are non-factors. As I said in my last post, some of those series for me were average (and in not a disparaging way) which entirely goes against the notion this thread is trying to insinuate.

People can have different opinions on shows, and that's normal. But ordinary anime leave a pretty consistent opinion on the viewers, with a slight variation depending on the individual.
The shows mentioned here, on the other hand, are "polarizing", meaning that the opinions tend to group into two or more groups (opinions inside them slightly vary depending on the individual).
For example, First Squad has a very polarizing effect depending on whether the viewer takes its historical accuracy statements seriously. (Hint: it's not a good idea to take an urban fantasy anime's claims of historical accuracy seriously, even though non-fantasy parts are probably quite accurate)
People in Russia tend to take WWII too seriously to stay calm after watching this anime.

TheRedRipper said:
Does Lucky Star count as a Love it or Hate it anime?

Yes, it does. It's actually pretty good if you are part of the target audience, but incomprehensible boredom to an ordinary person.
Feb 11, 2016 1:52 AM
Jan 2016
Shinjisus said:
I think the hate an anime receive is directly proportional to the love it receive from its fans.

Doesn't seem to apply to FMA:B and Death Note at all. I don't think I've ever seem a real hater of either of those two. I would say that it depends on the difference between the popularity of an anime and its quality. If an anime is popular but of dubious quality(lets say SAO for example) it's going to be extremely polarizing. But if something is both very good and popular, it's not going to be the case. (said FMA and Death Note)
Feb 11, 2016 3:04 AM
Jul 2015
Askorti said:
Shinjisus said:

Doesn't seem to apply to FMA:B and Death Note at all. I don't think I've ever seem a real hater of either of those two. I would say that it depends on the difference between the popularity of an anime and its quality. If an anime is popular but of dubious quality(lets say SAO for example) it's going to be extremely polarizing. But if something is both very good and popular, it's not going to be the case. (said FMA and Death Note)

FMA:B has a lot of haters between the original FMA anime. With death note I partially agree with you. I found haters, but they are a huge minority. Even with this, I think the most of anime fans think that death note is very good but it's not a masterpiece, so it compensate it IMO.

Feb 11, 2016 3:38 AM
Jun 2015
Definitely SAO, Clannad and No game no life.
Feb 11, 2016 3:53 AM

Nov 2009
Highteeld said:
What exactly causes huge split fan bases in certain animes?

I think I have finally found some proof of the reasons why SAO is as polarizing as it is.

From "should I watch Sword Art Online" recommendation thread (http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1470778#msg44152004):
Otaku97_Naman said:
it had potential..but the show went other way..dont watch it..watch mirai nikki or psycho pass

See, reading the description of SAO, one can easily imagine it would be some dark and brooding stuff about people dying, like Mirai Nikki.
But it isn't. Even if it occasionally talks about philosophy, value of life and the like, it never lapses into pointless grimdarkness that is so praised by many people, always staying on the optimistic side.
Feb 11, 2016 4:00 AM

Jun 2013
Hate is such a weak word, people have reason to dislike a anime (some do, others just say stupid things...). As for the ones I love... well the ones from my favorites, definitely.
Feb 11, 2016 4:06 AM

Mar 2015
> "2deep4u" shows (angel egg, SEL,nekojiro), either you try to understand then you can and say "wow", or you can't and "fuck it, i am out".
> soo bad it's good shows (gun-doh mushishi, genocyber, apocalypse zero) either "lulz!", "WTH is this? RANT!
> insult everyone (fuck the viewer) shows or controversial shows (evengalion, gintama, school days) either "lol" or " the fuck?"
> mainstream shows because amont of fans and haters are very noticebale except some rare case
> anime that cater to certain fans but not really liked by another fans (yaoi, yuri)

/thread
KumaFeb 11, 2016 4:11 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 11, 2016 4:07 AM
Jul 2018
One Punch Man is almost a perfect example for this.
Feb 11, 2016 4:12 AM

Aug 2015
Charlotte and OreImo perfectly falls in this category. You'll either totally love them or totally have them. You can't put them in the average category or be in the middle ground about been even if you try to.
Feb 11, 2016 4:13 AM

Nov 2009
Kuma said:

> insult everyone (fuck the viewer) shows or controversial shows (evengalion, gintama, school days) either "lol" or " the fuck?"
/thread

Does Kodomo no Jikan fit in this category?
Feb 11, 2016 4:18 AM

Mar 2015
flannan said:
Kuma said:

/thread

Does Kodomo no Jikan fit in this category?
it's more category 5. it's cater to sexualized children fans which is not really liked by comunity. but since it's also controverisioal because sexualized children, so yes, it's also fall to category 3. and yes, either you prise it (with or without sexualized children context) or hate it because of it.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 11, 2016 4:28 AM

Nov 2015
Sounds like Shigatsu, FLCL, Nichijou, One Punch Man & TTGL..

I think that some people just dont have a taste for certain elements in anime (elements like melodrama, over the top/random humour) and all the anime mentioned above heavily rely on at least one of these said elements.
Hence people who are into such shows love it and people who don't absolutely despise it..
Feb 11, 2016 6:20 AM

Jun 2012
flannan said:
Holybaptiser said:

People can have different opinions on shows, and that's normal. But ordinary anime leave a pretty consistent opinion on the viewers, with a slight variation depending on the individual.
The shows mentioned here, on the other hand, are "polarizing", meaning that the opinions tend to group into two or more groups (opinions inside them slightly vary depending on the individual).

Irregardless of how much "polarization" there is in its reception, there will always be a large enough crowd to note that falls in between the two extremes. If we were talking about Nazi propaganda here I would feel like the grey zone would be negligible, but since we're talking about anime that don't necessarily do anything to deserve extreme receptions then it doesn't really matter. People like to fabricate the idea of such extremes and propagate something that isn't true.

If you take the OP's example of Clannad: AS and look at the stats for the anime, the amount of users that rated the series between 1-7 doesn't even amount up to the amount of 10's it has received. The series is well-received and the people are complaining about it are just making themselves heard. There is no polarization since it is heavily tilted to one side.

Even with a series as famous as Neon Genesis Evangelion for its naysayer; the series is heavily tilted towards the ratings between 8-10. The second majority of votes fall in between 5-7, and the least and almost insignificant segment is the 1-4 ratings.

These extremes that the OP is insinuating are not true and just a misconception. Individuals are rating these series poorly, but that doesn't mean that you either love it or hated, as showcased by the ratings of Evangelion since most people either loved it or just thought it was above average/good. The people who hated are almost the non-factor.

Shows are either generally well-received or not. There is no such thing as polarization unless it promotes extreme ideology.

Feb 11, 2016 6:58 AM

Nov 2009
@Holybaptiser
Let's compare http://myanimelist.net/anime/2403/Kodomo_no_Jikan_TV/stats and http://myanimelist.net/anime/6574/Hanamaru_Youchien/stats . They are in many ways similar, except that Hamanaru is totally tame.
You can easily see that Kodomo no Jikan has a lot more haters, while most people agree that Hanamaru is worth something like 7-8.
Feb 11, 2016 7:02 AM

May 2015
Black Bullet. If you like lolis you're going to love it, but if you don't you're going to find it edgy and obnoxious.
Feb 11, 2016 7:05 AM

Jun 2008
SAO You will either love the action, the over powered MC and the adventure or you'll hate the fact that it's the biggest hax anime ever made.
Feb 11, 2016 7:27 AM

Apr 2015
All my favorite anime, because some people just have different style than me.
Feb 11, 2016 7:31 AM

Jul 2014
Neon Genesis Evangelion remains one of the most polarizing to this day. Many consider it to be one of the greatest psychological anime of all time with a complex cast of characters and intricate plot whereas others think it's a pretentious mess with obnoxious characters.
Take care of yourself

Feb 11, 2016 7:33 AM

Jun 2012
flannan said:
@Holybaptiser
Let's compare http://myanimelist.net/anime/2403/Kodomo_no_Jikan_TV/stats and http://myanimelist.net/anime/6574/Hanamaru_Youchien/stats . They are in many ways similar, except that Hamanaru is totally tame.
You can easily see that Kodomo no Jikan has a lot more haters, while most people agree that Hanamaru is worth something like 7-8.
But the biggest segments of both those series is the 6-8 range. They're pretty much not making a case for polarization, to be honest, because the numbers are not separated in between the two ends of the spectrum, but are actually most dense in between.

Yeah, one was received more poorly than the other by some people, which I am guessing is the case for KnJ because of its risque sexualization of an elementary school student (even though I read the manga and that manga tackles serious societal issues that are far past the surface value of what that story leads on).

I honestly don't think there is such a thing as "either love it or hate it" because the stats of most of the really popular and well-received series that get a lot of flak have the least amount of votes in their 1-4 segment. The second most dense amount of votes go into the 5-7 segment and that is just evidence that more people think it is average or slightly above than there are people who think it is bad. So there is no such thing as love or hate. The haters are loud enough to make an impact.

Feb 11, 2016 7:43 AM

Sep 2014
Nisekoi, I was expecting big for that series because season 1 they were able to deliver good but going to season 2 it felt like a "Big Ova" to me and it feels like liking at the same time hating it. Liking it = Season 2 but hating it = ova
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 3 minutes ago

0 by LenRea »»
3 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

60 by Ricchan__ »»
8 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 1 hour ago

10 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
16 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

84 by BilboBaggins365 »»
35 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

81 by BilboBaggins365 »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.