Forum Settings
Forums

Does insulting people online make you look dumb?

New
Does insulting people online make you look dumb?
Feb 10, 2016 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
I just had quite the interesting exchange in a YouTube comment feed. I haven't had one quite like 'em in a looOOOOong time.
The person argued the title of this topic. Now I hadn't really thought about it much, but my emidate answer was 'not necessarily', so that's what I argued for.

If you are interested, you can look at the exchange here in the spoiler, but I'm more interested in the poll results.

Howevevr I do think an outsider view would be good in this case. Maybe I'm totally wrong on this, I'd be willing to admit that. Or maybe we both are?
In any case, he's muted me so he can't explain to me any further.

So MAL, what's your opinion?

hope this post didn't give you asscancer. I need closure on this.
Feb 10, 2016 2:52 PM

Feb 2016
Depends on the context, and the quality of the insult.
Feb 10, 2016 2:57 PM

Sep 2015
It all depends on the context. Baseless insults make you look fuckin' stupid, whether it's online, written in a letter or spoken aloud.
I mean, in that sentence I just wrote I called people "fuckin' stupid" which would constitute as an insult. It didn't make me look dumb though since it was actually relevant to the topic at hand.

If there's justification for it, or if it's worded in a decent manner (Your saying X made me think Y..) then I won't consider it to be a negative thing, or something indicative of the insulter not being able to come up with any other reply.

In regards to your specific example - I think literally everyone who argues with people on YouTube comments are dumb, period. YT comments are the #1 most toxic and retarded place you can find online. It's filled with trolls, and the idiots who reply to them.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 10, 2016 2:58 PM

Sep 2012
Interacting with youtube commenters makes you look dumb.
Feb 10, 2016 2:58 PM

Oct 2014
IMO it's pointless. If he seriously wanted to insult you, your reply will just result in another mindless insult by the other person. And if it's a troll that person will be even more happy because you have been successfully baited.

All in all I see no good reason to insult back, aside from maybe making you feel a little bit better, in case you are sensitive or don't want the other party to have the delusion that they have "shut you up".

I'd personally recommend ignoring it if you don't care.

If you do care for one of the aforementioned reasons, then simply answer in a very indifferent tone, like "k..." or "ok..." or something along those lines, but it's definitly better NOT to throw insults that make you look exactly like the person who insulted you.
Feb 10, 2016 2:59 PM

Mar 2014
Are we talking about ad hominem here? Because that does indeed make you look stupid

Which is why I always use logic and actual arguments in internet flame wars and almost always manage to outsmart my opponents
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 10, 2016 3:02 PM

Jun 2015
It makes you look insecure, not necessarily dumb.
Feb 10, 2016 3:02 PM

Oct 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Are we talking about ad hominem here? Because that does indeed make you look stupid

Which is why I always use logic and actual arguments in internet flame wars and almost always manage to outsmart my opponents

That only works as long as the opposite party isn't a troll, i.e. you should make sure that your posts are not constantly 10x longer than the posts of the other party.
Feb 10, 2016 3:03 PM

Mar 2014
Grey-Zone said:
Comic_Sans said:

That only works as long as the opposite party isn't a troll, i.e. you should make sure that your posts are not constantly 10x longer than the posts of the other party.
My posts are never 10x longer than the posts of the opposite party

Most of the time they're actually 10x shorter
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 10, 2016 3:04 PM

Jul 2015
You shouldn't spend your time insulting others, be positive and ignore the haters!
the exception to this is the forum games. make that hoe regret their shitty anime taste
Feb 10, 2016 3:06 PM

Oct 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Grey-Zone said:

My posts are never 10x longer than the posts of the opposite party

Most of the time they're actually 10x shorter

In that case it's all is good, of course.
Feb 10, 2016 3:09 PM

Jul 2015
it makes you appear repugnant but not necessarily stupid
as others have said, it depends on the context
Feb 10, 2016 3:11 PM
Jul 2015
Yes.

Unless it's in the context of a debate, but personal insults... should be below people.
Feb 10, 2016 3:11 PM
Jul 2018
Quoyan said:
Agreed.
Comic_Sans said:
No faulty arguments, just standalone insults.
Grey-Zone said:
IMO it's pointless. If he seriously wanted to insult you, your reply will just result in another mindless insult by the other person. And if it's a troll that person will be even more happy because you have been successfully baited.
Yeah, that seems like it'd be the case.
ItsMaz said:

I think literally everyone who argues with people on YouTube comments are dumb, period. YT comments are the #1 most toxic and retarded place you can find online. It's filled with trolls, and the idiots who reply to them.
I've had good conversations in the YouTube comments before, but I'm seeing what you're saying. And yes, I do feel like an idiot for replying.
Feb 10, 2016 3:17 PM

Sep 2015
it maybe doesn't make you look stupid but it definitely is a waste of time, especially arguing with people on youtube....can't remember when i read the last comments there

Comic_Sans said:

hahahahahahaha....ah you meant on youtube and not on mal, right?

Feb 10, 2016 3:19 PM
Feb 2016
[quote=GreenSoap message=44681326]
Quoyan said:
Agreed.

IDK how many contexts warrant an insult IMO
Its over 9000!
Feb 10, 2016 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
People who insult others online are either insecure faggots or just really like making others' lives bad (both are no good). No point giving these kind of people the time of day. I do agree with your second comment though, if someone wants to respond to negativity with negativity I won't hold it against them (I do it from time to time, but I have to let them know it's a bad idea to try me)
Feb 10, 2016 3:45 PM

Jan 2015
I can be a pretty insulting person if need be. Personally I don't think that insults make you stupid or childish. It all depends on context and the way you say it. Take this example of something I wrote before. Does this make me stupid?
Feb 10, 2016 3:45 PM

Mar 2014
The YouTube community is shit . all I can see from that argument was rape and fool.
Eat Me
Feb 10, 2016 3:47 PM

Apr 2014
I don't know, but politicians sure do love their ad hominems when they have nothing else to toss at opponents.
Feb 10, 2016 4:45 PM

Feb 2016
Protaku said:
I don't know, but politicians sure do love their ad hominems when they have nothing else to toss at opponents.

Love it when politicians descend to shameless mudslinging tbh. There was on here in the UK not long back where the prime minister's official Facebook account put a post up saying "*opposition* is now a threat to our economic security, our country's security, and your family's security" (or something along those lines, idr the exact quote) after the opposing party got a new leader and it was fucking hilarious. Like it was just blatant propaganda at best, and libel at worst. :')
Feb 10, 2016 4:45 PM

Sep 2015
You don't understand, the purpose is to make THEM look stupid!

Rarity is Best Pony!
Feb 10, 2016 4:49 PM

Jun 2015
no, but posting walls of text about psuedo intellectual topics and prick waving does.
Feb 10, 2016 4:53 PM

Mar 2014
I don't see the point. It only makes you look bad.
Feb 10, 2016 5:00 PM

Nov 2015
Define the question.
Are we talking about someone who is clearly a moron carrying on like an idiot. A delusional fuckwit...
Say... example... a "prophesier" prattling on about some religious bullshit... The WBC.
I do not think it makes anyone look dumb for using insults in an online argument when it becomes painfully clear that the opposing side can't defend their position but instead continue to assert their position on the merit of the position itself.

"women should have abortion rights, because women's rights, because you hate women and that's wrong so I'm right, well... why SHOULDN'T THEY"

As soon as more than 3 fallacies are made in as many posts then it is perfectly acceptable to offer a final refutation laced with as many colorful insults and adjectives as you like.

Vor uns liegt MAL, in uns marschiert MAL, und hinter uns, kommt MAL!
Feb 10, 2016 5:03 PM

Nov 2015
dinesj21 said:
I don't see the point. It only makes you look bad.

Because the standard of debate is not to convince the opposition, although it's fantastic if you can, the standard of debate is to demonstrate to the active observers that your position stands on it's own credulity and the opposition crumbles.

When it becomes clear, through reasonable debate, that your opponent is a zealot, then it doesn't make you look bad to insult them in your last refutation.

Vor uns liegt MAL, in uns marschiert MAL, und hinter uns, kommt MAL!
Feb 10, 2016 5:03 PM

Mar 2008
It dos not make them look dumb as much as it maks them look like an asshole unless it is well founded reason fo doing so.
Feb 10, 2016 5:30 PM

Aug 2014
Why would someone go out of their way to say mean things on the internet?

That's not nice!
Feb 10, 2016 7:04 PM

Apr 2012
I WILL USE THIS POST AS A PLACEHOLDER.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Feb 10, 2016 7:09 PM

Aug 2007
If you insult them without reason yes. In some situatios you don't act like a dumb insulting them, for example, it one person steal you something or somethig similar or no that similar.
Feb 10, 2016 7:13 PM

Nov 2015
If its just completely out of the blue it often looks ridiculous and really childlike.
Feb 10, 2016 10:07 PM

Mar 2014
Nigami_Shin said:
it maybe doesn't make you look stupid but it definitely is a waste of time, especially arguing with people on youtube....can't remember when i read the last comments there

Comic_Sans said:

hahahahahahaha....ah you meant on youtube and not on mal, right?
Why would I?

Of course I meant MAL (though the same goes for Youtube)
Nico- said:
Feb 10, 2016 10:39 PM

Aug 2015
I used to play LOL a lot and in arguments, even if you are 100 percent right, people will still argue that you're wrong and even if you win, you still lose because the other person afk's and you get a minus lp hehe.

You get insulted a lot when you play these team games with random people so now I'm immune. Like I don't care anymore if someone argues with me/insult me on the internet. I just post some random reply and make them waste their effort/time into arguing with me.

Comic_Sans said:

You really take internet flame wars that seriously ayy.. So I'm guessing you got promoted to internet general now? :D
Feb 10, 2016 10:39 PM

Mar 2014
Squirtroll said:
I used to play LOL a lot and in arguments, even if you are 100 percent right, people will still argue that you're wrong and even if you win, you still lose because the other person afk's and you get a minus lp hehe.

You get insulted a lot when you play these team games with random people so now I'm immune. Like I don't care anymore if someone argues with me/insult me on the internet. I just post some random reply and make them waste their effort/time into arguing with me.

Comic_Sans said:

You really take internet flame wars that seriously ayy.. So I'm guessing you got promoted to internet general now? :D
Not yet, but definitely the shitposting queen
Nico- said:
Feb 10, 2016 10:40 PM

Nov 2014
Depends on if your insult was in the right place at the right time.

Feb 10, 2016 10:41 PM
Oct 2010
It does indicate that you have too much free time on your hands, and that you are not exploiting your free time productively. Go out and take a walk or listen to music or visit a club or something.
Feb 10, 2016 10:46 PM

Oct 2014
Arguing on the Internet itself makes you pathetic.
Feb 10, 2016 10:56 PM
Feb 2014
YouTube comments range from hilarious to cringe.

I insult people sarcastically unless people really don't know shit. But I don't insult people much.
Feb 10, 2016 10:57 PM

Dec 2014
@FloatingIdiot That guy you were arguing with reminds me of a certain someone #FeelTheBern
Feb 10, 2016 11:07 PM

Oct 2014
Lol,

Well with what you have presented, it certainly looks like you were "right".

If you care to display what the topic was about and the insult I would comment further, actual insult can be irrelevant depending(in making anyone look dumb that is).

Or was that it you said, not necessarily, and that was the base of your disagreement? his first response to you is that which we see in pic, then I cant even too much lolz.
ZsychoticFeb 11, 2016 12:06 AM
I have a self destructive disease inside that eats away at me,
there is no place for it in this world,
this disease is righteousness.
Feb 10, 2016 11:44 PM

Mar 2014
Squirtroll said:
@GreenSoap Seeing the pic that you posted, you actually look dumb for caring that much. For all you know, the person that insulted you probably just posted that shit cause he's waiting for his pizza and he doesn't really give a flying fuck about you lol.

Comic_Sans said:
Not yet, but definitely the shitposting queen
Damn that means you're slacking off. Hurry, go find someone on the internet to beat in a flame war so you can get promoted already.

ps. pls not me senpai, I don't want to argue w/ an internet badass like you:D
Thanks for your kind advice, my friend
Nico- said:
Feb 11, 2016 12:11 AM

Apr 2015
It all depends, if it is in context, but i wouldnt even
bother with youtube commenters
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2016 12:56 AM

May 2015
Anyone who uses ad hominem comes off an idiot.

My friends do it a lot. They think it makes them look tough, especially because they did well in high school.

Hahahaa
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 11, 2016 5:51 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
It's pretty damn pointless, that's for sure.
Feb 11, 2016 5:56 AM

Jun 2015
Ravioli_Ravioli said:
no, but posting walls of text about psuedo intellectual topics and prick waving does.

That's exactly what you did at one time.
Feb 11, 2016 6:09 AM

Jan 2015
I was involved in a number of known chan raids so I'm not going to point fingers. I got blocked by some youtube celebs over the years, trolled a couple of famous people on twitter that all made me smile, not mentioning any names to incriminate myself. Got involved with some horrific arguments that devolved into death threats. Perhaps it's a stupid thing, often it is. Life's too short and pointless to give a fuck.
FahtahSenseiFeb 11, 2016 6:22 AM
Feb 11, 2016 7:12 AM

Jun 2015
AltoRoark99 said:
Ravioli_Ravioli said:

That's exactly what you did at one time.

exactly. So I know from experience.
Feb 11, 2016 7:14 AM

May 2015
The ad hominem anywhere makes you look dumb. It's only when you're trolling or baiting that it's actually okay to use insults like that, and it's only because you're doing it ironically.
Feb 11, 2016 8:15 AM

Jul 2015
it doesnt matter the context, insults show that a person has run out of logic to contribute to a conversation and is now just venting their emotional frustration. people dont know how to say "im sorry ive reached the extent of my knowledge on the subject but for some reason you haven't convinced me or explained it in a way i can see your side of the argument".

ultimately i look at the internet as a place for information and opinions but not arguments. maybe when people find commonality there's grounds for discussion, and if they disagree then yeah share your opinion, but when people reach the point of "hey you need to believe what i believe" thats when its like come on grow up, get a life, calm down, take a breath, do some yoga, netflix and chill or something.
Feb 11, 2016 8:42 AM

May 2009
I think it's stupid to insult people. It shows that you are taking whatever someone said way too seriously and you don't know them from a hole in the wall.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - 5 hours ago

11 by phantom346 »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » In the future there will be battles for love between species from other planets(theory)

Absurdo_N - 2 hours ago

5 by Adnash »»
11 minutes ago

» Have you committed animal sacrifices?

vasipi4946 - Dec 14, 2022

27 by deg »»
20 minutes ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - Apr 18

44 by FanofAction »»
54 minutes ago

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

18 by creepylurker »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.