Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 10, 2016 1:12 PM
Mar 2012
THIS IS A NOVEL ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS VOLUME.
----------------------------------------
Alicization Awakening will be released in April.

Synopsis:

Then comes the second day of the Experiment. Although the Dark Territory Army loses its advantage due to the Knights' life-risking fightback, they have found an unexpected way to counter. Critter, who has been observing outside the Underworld, throws in real world people into this final war.

Claiming on American gaming community websites that it is a beta-tester recruitment for a serious VRMMO game, his way is to let those who log in Dive into Underworld.

There are about 50,000 of them.

The Human Empire Army are at the tip of a cliff because of this reinforcement. There is nothing Asuna can do by herself, even with the Super Account Stacia. Right then, the gods that have been passed on as stories in the Underworld descends one after another.

The white and bright Sun God Solus, and the kind, merciful Earth God Teralia. Those two come in the form of Sinon and Leafa... Finally, the familiar characters are joining the final Great War! This is the latest volume right before climax!

Apr 26, 2016 2:37 PM

Mar 2014
Well, hopefully we get a few more volumes I don't want it to end so soon either.
"Did you really think I wouldn’t cheat just because I was already winning?" - Dread Emperor Terribilis II

"I chose glory and success. The box did not contain what was written on the lid." - Sand dan Glokta
Jun 11, 2016 7:48 AM

Jul 2008
Reading it right now ;)

Jun 30, 2016 12:49 AM

Apr 2012
Omg, the cliffhanger...

Kawahara Reki, you are a monster D:

This volume was a lot more darker, with the party actually "losing", being pierced by blades and spears and feeling all the pain... the despair, too many things happening at the same time and -oh god again-, the freaking cliffhanger D:

The hint at the end of "he's not gonna wake up soon..."
We will probably have volume 18 using half of the pages showing "the world inside kirito's soul" or sumthing like that while he remembers everything.

Anyways, overall the tension was high til the end, hoping to see soon the cliche-protagonist-victory.
Nov 15, 2016 4:43 PM

Oct 2011
Just finished reading chapter 20 & the 10% of chapter 21 from the novel that were translated into English.

I loved it - this volume was more philosophical than any of the rest delving deep into the topic of what is human & what is not, what is consiousness, the three types of Ego (Id, ego and super-ego), and so on.

Moreover, the battles & the individual lines of thought of each character were portrayed amazingly. You can actually feel their personalities... and their pain when their are stabbed or emotionally oblitarated...

And although I haven't read the last 40% of the volume (so I don't know if it has already happened) I can't wait for Kirito to rejoin the action >.< HYPE

Can't believe that in Japan volume 19 is already out {I want to know what happens next but don't want any spoilers}

Nov 26, 2016 8:38 PM

Dec 2015
Damn, damn... I need the chapter 21 right now!
Things are lit as fuck.
I could read spoilers from the last chapter and the Vol.18 but I want to read it by myself!

This arc is awesome.
Mar 9, 2017 6:20 PM
Mar 2016
One of the best volumes of this arc, you can feel all the pain and suffering of the characters and their emotions too.

SAO is a masterpiece!
Mar 10, 2017 12:50 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Not as good as the two first volumes of the War of the Underworld Arc but still a decent read.

This also marks the third book without Kirito and the author is clearly setting up the situation to be desperate in order for Kirito to make a much needed comeback in the arc finale next volume. They even brought back PoH from Aincrad to provide a final closure to the very first arc.

Once again, the Administrator is referenced and likely the cause of Yanai's betrayal/corruption. Out of all the antagonist Reki wrote, I believe Administrator is perhaps the only one that I felt was somewhat interesting.

Other than that, there were some decent fight and interesting moments. For example, an Orc has also awakened and broke the limiter. I also liked the fact that the Japanese players made great sacrifices to defend the Underworld humans.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Mar 11, 2017 9:35 PM

Sep 2016
Just finished reading it... those emotions on chapter 21, gawd..
That cliffhanger at the end tho >< I can't wait for the translated volume 18!
Nov 13, 2017 9:36 AM
Jan 2016
Just finished reading the volume. That was a lot of pain and torture. Probably the highest concentration of pain and suffering in the story so far. It was rather unpleasant to read to be honest.
Mar 25, 2018 9:09 AM

Dec 2015
That was a really cool and interesting volume ... Damn feelings and the difference in military power woah ...

Probably in 18th volume we will se few things ( my theories) First ofc the interior world of Kirito we had a prologue of it probably in the last parts of 21st chapter than the (perhaps) support from the north to the "ruin" party , (Because of one graphic in reddit ) probably before Kirito will wake up PoH will torture Asuna (probably)

But in overall this is nice volume but so emotional and darker , I really can't wait till I will be able to see it in 3rd season probably this will be in 40th+ episode :)
Apr 10, 2019 4:05 PM
Jul 2018
This volume was full of pain and despair. The War of the Underworld is just as epic as Fate's Holy Grail War. Asuna was so frickin' badass in this volume, as expected. Next volume the conclusing to this epic and marvelous arc. - Vol. Score: 7/5.

More topics from this board

» Stuff that made you lower your score/rating? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by RobertBobert »»
Feb 18, 10:26 AM

» Still feels rushed

Cneq - Nov 14, 2022

7 by Saynarra »»
Jan 19, 4:08 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Volume 4 Chapter 9 Discussion

Shadow_Strider - Dec 4, 2012

2 by eleonora_43 »»
Oct 14, 2023 4:23 AM

» Continue the LN after the last season

baltazak - Apr 5, 2023

2 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Oct 13, 2023 2:52 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Chapter 2 Discussion

Kiba_Senpai - Nov 27, 2022

0 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Nov 27, 2022 4:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.