Forum Settings
Forums

Are elitists lying to themselves or others concerning the quality of shows?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Feb 11, 2016 3:14 PM

Apr 2009
BlancaXLobo said:
hanakumu said:

With Elfen Lied and Madoka in favs you don't hwave to worry that anyone will ever make a mistake and call you an elitist. Also, your meanscore is too high.

Jk.

Apparently most of the elitist don't even know they are elitist unless someone tells them :>

Hi, person i didn't asked that question.

If you want a specific person to answer your question, use PM or comment feature.

Iғ ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ, ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ɢɪᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ ᴀ sᴋʏ ʟᴏᴄᴋᴇᴅ ɪɴ ᴀ ᴊᴀʀ
ɢɪᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ ᴀ ɢᴀʟᴀxʏ ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ I'ᴍ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏɴᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴏɴʟʏ
sᴛᴀʀ.
Iғ ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ, ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ɢɪᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ ғʟᴏᴡᴇʀs ᴀs ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴡɪʟʟ sᴏᴏɴ ᴘᴇʀɪsʜ,
ɢɪᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ ᴀᴜᴛᴜᴍɴ ʟᴇᴀᴠᴇs, sᴏ ʏᴏᴜ sʜᴀʟʟ
ғᴏʀᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴍᴇ ᴄʜᴇʀɪsʜ.

Feb 11, 2016 3:17 PM

Nov 2014
hanakumu said:
BlancaXLobo said:

Hi, person i didn't asked that question.

If you want a specific person to answer your question, use PM or comment feature.

My bad. Sorry. I forgot to do it. I'm still starting using the forum outside some groups i belong, and some thinks i didn't get used to yet.
Feb 11, 2016 3:26 PM

Dec 2015
NateMKII said:
KonaKoffee4 said:

No no, my number one favorite.......

Wait kaiba and angels egg are elitist?

Apparently liking a show that has depth to it is elitism, man MAL sure knows everything

OMFG I know right.

I mean, there are also some shows that people don't like that have depth. I wasn't as big a fan of flcl as other people were, but I know it has depth.

Regardless, what they like comes down to perspective. Like I don't fucking understand why I have to feel guilty for liking berserk and not liking one piece. Let me be y'all lol.

Holybaptiser said:
KonaKoffee4 said:

Thank you!
I don't think these people realize how they're acting.
It's turn into a "let's bash people for their favorite anime we consider elitist" thread.
And then I see people on here claiming that people suck because they just so happen to dislike an anime series that's mainstream?
They need to get off their fucking high horses and stop acting foul. Let people like and dislike what they want.
It only becomes a problem if they're bashing you, which is what everyone here is doing.
The irony is so rich you could drown in it.

"Her her guys, let's group together and bash people who supposedly bash other people for what they like. We're totally not acting like the way we claim they do! Haha when was the last time you saw an elitist go around threads and shit on people relentlessly for their favourites? You don't remember? Oh, well, who cares lolol xDxD! Herp derp these guys are such assholes for rating anime differently than we do. They have to think everyone else is a retard or else they wouldn't be doing it! They're the retards for liking what they like and rating anime the way they want to rate it. We're the victims here, I tell you! Fuck those guys, for real. Fuck them for enjoying what they like and being able to articulate and formulate their opinions better than we do! Let's go and mock them in a thread and claim they're the assholes!"

Fucking pathetic.

I wonder what Nietzsche would say about all this.

Exactly! I have had so many people come at me on these threads or come at me on my page saying, out of nowhere, "Ew you're pretentious because this show I claim to be elitist is in your favorites". Like wtf is wrong with people...
Then I get called a pleb because I like shigatsu (sometimes even by other people who claim to be anti elitist).

I can't even rate a fucking anime series without some whiny assholes coming in my inbox like "you rated this too low, you rated this too high. Ew L is ugly".
Let people rate and critisize whatever series they want. If you want to have a discussion on that criticism you people need to stop being hostile.

And IDK who that guy is...
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 11, 2016 3:31 PM

Jun 2012
KonaKoffee4 said:
Holybaptiser said:
The irony is so rich you could drown in it.

"Her her guys, let's group together and bash people who supposedly bash other people for what they like. We're totally not acting like the way we claim they do! Haha when was the last time you saw an elitist go around threads and shit on people relentlessly for their favourites? You don't remember? Oh, well, who cares lolol xDxD! Herp derp these guys are such assholes for rating anime differently than we do. They have to think everyone else is a retard or else they wouldn't be doing it! They're the retards for liking what they like and rating anime the way they want to rate it. We're the victims here, I tell you! Fuck those guys, for real. Fuck them for enjoying what they like and being able to articulate and formulate their opinions better than we do! Let's go and mock them in a thread and claim they're the assholes!"

Fucking pathetic.

I wonder what Nietzsche would say about all this.

Exactly! I have had so many people come at me on these threads or come at me on my page saying, out of nowhere, "Ew you're pretentious because this show I claim to be elitist is in your favorites". Like wtf is wrong with people...
Then I get called a pleb because I like shigatsu (sometimes even by other people who claim to be anti elitist).

I can't even rate a fucking anime series without some whiny assholes coming in my inbox like "you rated this too low, you rated this too high. Ew L is ugly".
Let people rate and critisize whatever series they want. If you want to have a discussion on that criticism you people need to stop being hostile.

Kona, I have no idea what the hell you're going through here on MAL, but that kind of thing has never happened to me. People don't send me PM's or profile messages trying to harass me, so I can't relate. The only messages I get are people who want to shoot the shit or people who saw my posts from back in the day asking me to give them recommendations. I think it's cause you're a girl and thirsty niggas just want your attention. You know, elementary school mentality.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 11, 2016 3:46 PM

Dec 2015
Holybaptiser said:
KonaKoffee4 said:

Kona, I have no idea what the hell you're going through here on MAL, but that kind of thing has never happened to me. People don't send me PM's or profile messages trying to harass me, so I can't relate. The only messages I get are people who want to shoot the shit or people who saw my posts from back in the day asking me to give them recommendations. I think it's cause you're a girl and thirsty niggas just want your attention. You know, elementary school mentality.

LMAO yesss they are.
But honestly, it sometimes is because of my tags. Although it's pretty fucking obvious that I'm joking when I make most of them.
Like I've had a few people come at me sideways for calling the starfish girl from clannad a slut (obvious joke), and saying ain't nobody got time for one piece (number one reason I get hate).

But that's just how I feel, and my tags are obviously just me being silly. But people go fucking ham over them...
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 11, 2016 3:48 PM

Jul 2015
KonaKoffee4 said:

Uh... yeah. Kaiba is the true Yuasa show for elitists, Ping Pong is for plebs.

(Ping Pong is awesome <3)
Feb 11, 2016 3:50 PM

Dec 2015
Clebardman said:
KonaKoffee4 said:

I thought ping pong was elite.

OMFG...these definitions man lol
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 11, 2016 3:53 PM

Apr 2009
KonaKoffee4 said:
Clebardman said:

Since when Ping Pong was elite?
It's one of the most mainstream sports anime and is liked by most of the people ;o

Iғ ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ, ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ɢɪᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ ᴀ sᴋʏ ʟᴏᴄᴋᴇᴅ ɪɴ ᴀ ᴊᴀʀ
ɢɪᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ ᴀ ɢᴀʟᴀxʏ ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ I'ᴍ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏɴᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴏɴʟʏ
sᴛᴀʀ.
Iғ ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ, ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ɢɪᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ ғʟᴏᴡᴇʀs ᴀs ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴡɪʟʟ sᴏᴏɴ ᴘᴇʀɪsʜ,
ɢɪᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ ᴀᴜᴛᴜᴍɴ ʟᴇᴀᴠᴇs, sᴏ ʏᴏᴜ sʜᴀʟʟ
ғᴏʀᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴍᴇ ᴄʜᴇʀɪsʜ.

Feb 11, 2016 3:57 PM

Dec 2015
hanakumu said:
KonaKoffee4 said:

Since when Ping Pong was elite?
It's one of the most mainstream sports anime and is liked by most of the people ;o

I don't understand mal...
I don't understand mal at all...
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 11, 2016 4:00 PM

Jul 2015
KonaKoffee4 said:

I'm actually really good at putting people in boxes, I got used to this place pretty quickly :p.

Little boxes, on the hillside,...
Feb 11, 2016 4:03 PM

Dec 2015
Clebardman said:
KonaKoffee4 said:

I'm actually really good at putting people in boxes, I got used to this place pretty quickly :p.

Little boxes, on the hillside,...

Lol IDK which box to go into, so I'm just going to kick it with the kids who like school days and pretend to like it.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 11, 2016 4:07 PM

Jun 2015
I've been wondering, are Cowboy Bebop and Berserk considered elitist-type shows?
Feb 11, 2016 4:08 PM

Mar 2015
AltoRoark99 said:
I've been wondering, are Cowboy Bebop and Berserk considered elitist-type shows?

No because elitist-type shows don't exist.
Feb 11, 2016 4:09 PM

Aug 2013
Most of the "elitist" anime MAL considers are of the psychological genre, just call the people that like the stuff an enthusiast of that genre, rather branding them an elitist, as with the self-proclaimed ones, they are lying to themselves if they honestly believe depth and multitude of themes are required to make something a high quality show. Brain exercises isn't all that matters, people.
『パイル』| Twitter
Feb 11, 2016 4:10 PM

Jul 2015
AltoRoark99 said:
Don't listen to NateMKII.
Cowboy Bebop is just old-school and mature. It's a nice complement to an elitist list, but if you only have shows like Black Lagoon, Cowboy Bebop and Monster in your list, you don't qualify, sry :c.
Berserk is 100% elite as long as you're with anime fans. In presence of manga purists, it becomes "shit" thx to their snob-no-jutsu.
Feb 11, 2016 4:12 PM

Oct 2010
Cowboy Bebop is like one of the most accessible anime shows ever. If you want to look elitist that's a rather wrong choice to make.
Feb 11, 2016 4:14 PM

Mar 2015
Clebardman said:
AltoRoark99 said:
Cowboy Bebop is just old-school and mature. It's a nice complement to an elitist list, but if you only have shows like Black Lagoon, Cowboy Bebop and Monster in your list, you don't qualify, sry :c.
Berserk is 100% elite as long as you're with anime fans. In presence of manga purists, it becomes "shit" thx to their snob-no-jutsu.

Elitist-type shows don't exist.

Calling certain shows the shows of elitists is fucking retarded, and makes you look retarded.
Feb 11, 2016 4:15 PM

Dec 2015
Clebardman said:
AltoRoark99 said:

I see so many people with berserk in their face by people who claim to be anti elitists or whatever the mal definition is.
And I haven't reached the end of berserk manga (or should I say the last volume to come out) but I wouldnt call it "shit", though I can see why someone else does.

Why does it matter what series is elite or not though? I don't get it...
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 11, 2016 4:19 PM

Jun 2015
NateMKII said:
Clebardman said:

Calling certain shows the shows of elitists is fucking retarded, and makes you look retarded.

What we consider elitist-type shows are those that most elitists agree to be masterpieces, such as Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Texhnolyze. They are often considered "too mature" for the everyday anime fan to enjoy.
Feb 11, 2016 4:22 PM

Dec 2015
AltoRoark99 said:
NateMKII said:

What we consider elitist-type shows are those that most elitists agree to be masterpieces, such as Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Texhnolyze. They are often considered "too mature" for the everyday anime fan to enjoy.

I doubt I'll watch LoGH (too long), but I don't see why someone would think texhnolyze is "too mature" to enjoy. Yes it's intense, yes it's dark, but if your over the age of 12 I don't see how it'd be too mature.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 11, 2016 4:24 PM

Mar 2014
KonaKoffee4 said:
Clebardman said:

I see so many people with berserk in their face by people who claim to be anti elitists or whatever the mal definition is.
And I haven't reached the end of berserk manga (or should I say the last volume to come out) but I wouldnt call it "shit", though I can see why someone else does.

It isn't "elite", listen to Nate. People are just insecure and making up their own definitions so theu can circlejerk.
Feb 11, 2016 4:24 PM

Jul 2015
Haha yeah I wouldn't exactly call Texhnolyze "mature" either but I get what AltoRoark is saying :p.
Feb 11, 2016 4:25 PM

Mar 2013
plasma38 said:
Let's say a show has all the ingredients elitists generally like (theme exploration,motifs, mature, adult characters, no moe etc)but it is super boring/tedious to watch. Do they still say to others that they liked it due said traits to others, to keep their reputation. Do they force themselves to like it or are they not true to themselves. What about the other way?

It depends. I think there will be some people that do say they like stuff that is considered "elitist" or "intelligent" to make themselves appear that way, but I think that there are some people who genuinely enjoy stuff like that. What may be boring and tedious to one person, may not be boring and tedious to another.

To use an example, I think Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is the best show aired in the last three years(how long I've been on MAL and watching stuff as it's aired). Honestly, if it continues at the pace it is at, it might be the best series I have ever watched. I feel it transcends the medium and between the cinematography and the range that the voice actors are required to use in just this one show is truly remarkable. Do some people probably think that it's boring or tedious? Yeah, probably. But I genuinely feel the way I do about it. I think it's fantastic and perfectly executed. I think there are alot of of people and shows that could fit that same situation.

I think it's MUCH MUCH more common to lie about how much they liked a show in the reverse situation. There are probably far more people being contrarian about whatever the super mega popular show at the time is than people pretending to like stuff that is "smart" because it's a lot easier to do. For example, it's a lot easier to say ERASED(which I like) is a bad show with a stupid plot and flat characters to appear "above" others than it is to identify whatever show the "elitists" are saying is great and sing it's praises.
Feb 11, 2016 4:25 PM

Jun 2015
KonaKoffee4 said:
AltoRoark99 said:

I doubt I'll watch LoGH (too long), but I don't see why someone would think texhnolyze is "too mature" to enjoy. Yes it's intense, yes it's dark, but if your over the age of 12 I don't see how it'd be too mature.

Slow pace and no dialogue. The director himself said that the point of the first episode was to "scare away the plebs".
Feb 11, 2016 4:27 PM

Jul 2015
KonaKoffee4 said:

What? No, Berserk the anime becomes "shit" as soon as a manga purist appears. These guys can be either casuals or elitists but they'll probably go around with a Berserk avatar indeed to show the world that anime is for plebs and true men read mango.

If there are no manga purists around, everybody can agree that Berserk is a fucking masterpiece with incredible characters and some good ol' GAR protagonists.
Feb 11, 2016 4:32 PM

Nov 2015
KonaKoffee4 said:
Clebardman said:

I also don't get it. I like what I like, and that's it. Shouldn't that be all that matters?

Of course, you should be able to at least explain why you like something if you're asked, or why you score a certain way, but that's about it.
Feb 11, 2016 4:34 PM

Jul 2015
refael9190 said:
KonaKoffee4 said:

I also don't get it. I like what I like, and that's it. Shouldn't that be all that matters?

Of course, you should be able to at least explain why you like something if you're asked, or why you score a certain way, but that's about it.

And what's next? Freedom of speech? nonono, we need to put people in boxes and make threads about it.
Feb 11, 2016 4:34 PM

Nov 2015
AudioTsunami said:
plasma38 said:
Let's say a show has all the ingredients elitists generally like (theme exploration,motifs, mature, adult characters, no moe etc)but it is super boring/tedious to watch. Do they still say to others that they liked it due said traits to others, to keep their reputation. Do they force themselves to like it or are they not true to themselves. What about the other way?

It depends. I think there will be some people that do say they like stuff that is considered "elitist" or "intelligent" to make themselves appear that way, but I think that there are some people who genuinely enjoy stuff like that. What may be boring and tedious to one person, may not be boring and tedious to another.

To use an example, I think Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is the best show aired in the last three years(how long I've been on MAL and watching stuff as it's aired). Honestly, if it continues at the pace it is at, it might be the best series I have ever watched. I feel it transcends the medium and between the cinematography and the range that the voice actors are required to use in just this one show is truly remarkable. Do some people probably think that it's boring or tedious? Yeah, probably. But I genuinely feel the way I do about it. I think it's fantastic and perfectly executed. I think there are alot of of people and shows that could fit that same situation.

I think it's MUCH MUCH more common to lie about how much they liked a show in the reverse situation. There are probably far more people being contrarian about whatever the super mega popular show at the time is than people pretending to like stuff that is "smart" because it's a lot easier to do. For example, it's a lot easier to say ERASED(which I like) is a bad show with a stupid plot and flat characters to appear "above" others than it is to identify whatever show the "elitists" are saying is great and sing it's praises.

I agree about your Rakugo point. It's one of the best shows to air recently. Everything about it has been enjoyable.
Feb 11, 2016 4:38 PM

May 2012
Everyone on mal does this. Look at this thread, full of idiots who pretend they are smart and their anime is perfect. You people need some self awareness, and formal education.

A lot of people on this site are "elitists" in terms of the stereotypical attitude but the funny thing is, most of the people on this site can't argue or explain why the anime they like so good without going on some tangent and projecting things into the show.
Feb 11, 2016 5:26 PM

Dec 2015
AltoRoark99 said:
KonaKoffee4 said:

Slow pace and no dialogue. The director himself said that the point of the first episode was to "scare away the plebs".

lol did he really?
lmao that's a weird thing to say. Oh well, I think it's pretty good at least (You mean tex right?)

refael9190 said:
KonaKoffee4 said:

I don't think anyone should be obligated to explain themselves to random people unless it calls for it during a discussion. When people insert themselves onto my page and in messages complaining why I like/dislike whatever it is, in such a hostile way, I shouldn't have to feel obligated to provide them an answer. Also, once people give an answer then the person asking needs to accept it instead of saying some bull shit like "well that's not a good enough answer". If you don't like the answer or feel like you can't accept it then oh well, move on.

I will never demand an explanation for why someone feels the way they do unless the time calls for it.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 11, 2016 5:29 PM

Dec 2015
_RyuuJi_ said:
Sorry but not everyone. I don't. I don't go around and say "your taste is sh*t" or "my favorite anime is better than yours" and an attitude of pointing out "you are a elitist" or "you are a casual".

What's up with branding shows for "elitist only" or "casuals only"? That's stupid for me. Why watch anime in the first place, then? Watch this and go around sh*t talk other fans? This should be stop.

This thread feels like Proselytism to be honest.

Yea, where do people come up with this shit?
Why can't we just enjoy whatever and be done with it???

"you're a pleb, you're pretentious", yall need to shut the fuck up and let people enjoy their animu lol
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 11, 2016 5:45 PM

Feb 2010
KonaKoffee4 said:
AltoRoark99 said:
The director himself said that the point of the first episode was to "scare away the plebs".

lol did he really?
lmao that's a weird thing to say. Oh well, I think it's pretty good at least (You mean tex right?)

I don't remember reading an interview where he said this. What he said (to my knowledge) is that he was aware how it might be off-putting to some viewers but he couldn't compromise on that point since he really wanted to show the pain and suffering of getting your limbs cut off.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 11, 2016 5:46 PM

Dec 2015
TonyTheme said:
Only an elitist deals in absolutes.

But that's an absolute in itself...
Feb 11, 2016 5:49 PM

Sep 2011
Another Elitist thread with nothing going for it:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1464066
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1388123 (No clue why this has no lock msg though)

Pretty much what this thread has started with and turned into. (The above topics I linked).

Thread Locked
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

14 by luckyrune »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

22 by Piromysl »»
1 hour ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - Yesterday

47 by Piromysl »»
1 hour ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

44 by Azuchi »»
1 hour ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

177 by Adnash »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.