Forum Settings
Forums

Is the pursuit of knowledge a luxury or an imperative?

New
Feb 10, 2016 12:14 AM

Apr 2013
Titles pretty self explanatory. Yknow kinda like "why fund doing stuff in space when you can fund our nations poor?" You can probably respond to that by listing the amount of contributions by NASA or the european space agency or w.e, but take all of that away except for contributions to knowledge (well I know with knowledge comes advancement but bear with me). Do you think knowledge and knowledge itself holds value?
Feb 10, 2016 12:42 AM

Apr 2013
i love your posts daco

just dont delete them
Feb 10, 2016 4:04 AM

Jan 2015
Knowledge and technology is the identity of humanity. It's what makes our lives today possible. It's why we are the dominant species of the planet. It's why this god awful site exists today. It's one of the sole reasons for our lives today and the one and only available path towards further evolution and possible utopia. It's the single most important tool of humanity.

I really don't understand why people are afraid of science or care more about funding humanitarian affairs over science. Do people not realize that social disputes are temporary? That poverty is temporary? All of these things will naturally disappear as humans become more scientifically advanced and enlightened.

Science is the only way to remove the intrinsic flaws of humanity. Humans are the sole reason why the world is such a shitty place. We keep misusing our power out of greed, ignorance and violence. People are short sighted and only realize the immediate dangers science may pose if humans misuse it. People are arrogant and refuse to accept the flaws of humanity. They don't want to accept the fact that they are the source of the evil and suffering in this world. Instead they blame it on something else or someone else, only to add fuel to the perpetual hate and violence our species brings upon itself.

Sentient AI is the future. Genetic modification is the future. Self imposed evolution is the future. Yet people reject this because they fear change. They complain about the world's problems yet refuse to leave their comfort zones, despite the fact that their own living styles happen to cause the problems they dislike the most. The current state of humanity isn't a good thing. The identity of who we are is the most dearest thing to us, it's our existence after all, yet the humanity we hold so dear is the problem. Hopefully when the time comes humans will be mature enough to discard what makes us human to transcend into a better, higher plane of existence but that's an idealistic desire for a distant future we may never see.
Feb 10, 2016 4:10 AM

Nov 2013
NudeBear said:
Titles pretty self explanatory. Yknow kinda like "why fund doing stuff in space when you can fund our nations poor?" You can probably respond to that by listing the amount of contributions by NASA or the european space agency or w.e, but take all of that away except for contributions to knowledge (well I know with knowledge comes advancement but bear with me). Do you think knowledge and knowledge itself holds value?

Knowledge holds most value, even if it's for it's own sake, knowledge it self holds more value than any other thing in it self could ever hold.

Money is generally means, and most likely when there is a lot of them it is means for stupid ends, there are more useless ways people trow money away that could be used to help.

Also in capitalism giving something free for not working a.k.a the real poor not gonna happen anyways, this is a product based society.
Signature was not removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Tulip & Flower Guidelines.
Feb 10, 2016 4:33 AM

Apr 2012
Yes, I think knowledge itself holds value.

This post of mine reminded me of something...

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Feb 10, 2016 10:18 AM

May 2015
Knowledge itself definitely has value. It's crucial for our survival, if not for the individual than species.

What you should really ask is, what knowledge is more important to discover? A way to feed everyone or to reach out to space first? Also, I think your real question is what's the moral value of pursuing knowledge.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 10, 2016 10:23 AM

Nov 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
Knowledge itself definitely has value. It's crucial for our survival, if not for the individual than species.

What you should really ask is, what knowledge is more important to discover? A way to feed everyone or to reach out to space first? Also, I think your real question is what's the moral value of pursuing knowledge.

I'll put them in order and then send the priorities to Mr. Obama.
1. Making virtual reality a reality so I can live with the animes
2. Advancing genetic engineering to the point where all women are perfect 10s
3. Making robots servants, AI is fine as long as we neuter them by giving them shitty hardware
4. Maybe... MAYBE get around to solving world hunger. The other three first though
Feb 10, 2016 11:27 AM

Jun 2015
it's an interest. People don't need to be knowledgeable to be useful. Personally I'd rather a construction worker working on my house not know about random things outside of construction, for example.
Feb 10, 2016 11:31 AM
Jul 2015
Ravioli_Ravioli said:
it's an interest. People don't need to be knowledgeable to be useful. Personally I'd rather a construction worker working on my house not know about random things outside of construction, for example.

What do you mean by this, exactly? Information is free to all...
Feb 10, 2016 11:44 AM
Oct 2014
Food is necessary for survival. Survival comes before knowledge. When you're not hungry anymore, you'll have time for interests.

Feb 10, 2016 12:57 PM

Jul 2015
its imperative to the long term survival of humanity for sure
humans are the first species on Earth to be actively seeking ways to prevent its own extinction
and it has done so through out history by acquiring and applying knowledge

place has large predators? humans have learned how to create spears that put any sharp teeth or claws to shame
food is scarce? humans have very effective farming techniques.
epidemics are occuring? humans have medical knowledge
wars? diplomacy and peace movements is a thing

but now that humanity's greatest threat is its own greed which is leading to the destruction of Earth's resources, I really don't know if our descendents will even have a (good) future.
SlawadiaFeb 10, 2016 1:03 PM
Feb 10, 2016 1:16 PM

Apr 2012
Rarusu_ said:
Food is necessary for survival. Survival comes before knowledge. When you're not hungry anymore, you'll have time for interests.
Why do you think you were able to get that food?

Probably because you knew there's a bush with berries in the forest or animals to kill for meat.

Or, for our current day and age, you have the knowledge necessary to get food from the supermarket, etc.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Feb 10, 2016 2:11 PM

Mar 2008
People that are mentally retarded seem pretty happy to me. There has been studies that say people who go to uni are more miserable than others. It is good for masses when used right. So the seeking of knowledge is the burden and power of those who seek it. It does not have an inherent value.
Feb 10, 2016 4:08 PM
Oct 2014
Immahnoob said:
Rarusu_ said:

Probably because you knew there's a bush with berries in the forest or animals to kill for meat.

Or, for our current day and age, you have the knowledge necessary to get food from the supermarket, etc.

I suppose, if it is knowledge about food.

Feb 10, 2016 4:16 PM

Dec 2015
Both.

Knowledge is the most precious thing of mankind, it molded our evolution and is still today the most enriching luxury one can get wherever on the planet he may be.
Feb 10, 2016 9:00 PM

Jan 2014
I believe the value of knowledge lies in its application and use. There are certain pursuits that I would mark as luxuries, but even then those play a role in soothing the mind and keeping it sharp.
I believe it should be prioritized appropriately though.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 11, 2016 12:34 AM

Apr 2015
Knowledge does indeed hold value, without it would
wouldnt be able to advance as a species.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2016 12:52 AM

May 2015
Immahnoob said:
Rarusu_ said:

Pretty much this. Without knowledge,you can't survive. Knowledge is the first thing you need to survive.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 11, 2016 11:19 PM

Feb 2011
Luxury Because ignorance is bliss, and stupid people can still live happy. That said, I think its a highly worthwhile endeavor.

I cant say its an imperative in my heart because it goes to the question of whats the point of life, and I dont think theres a genuine answer for that.
Feb 12, 2016 2:25 AM
Sep 2014
what the fuck are you talking about .
Feb 12, 2016 2:28 AM

Feb 2015
Knowledge for things is one way to the progress of humanity towards transcendence. Those who don't agree that knowledge is a waste of time and resource are weaklings.

Further knowledge outside the planet will eventually turn into more space, meaning more resource. We just need to invest our current resource and when we finally own Mars then we good.
Feb 12, 2016 3:20 AM

Sep 2014
Depends on what kind of knowledge it is. Some knowledge is necessary for progression, other "types" of knowledge are less of a priority, and can be "sidelined" over arguably more important research.
Feb 12, 2016 3:35 AM

Mar 2015
Do we need more knowledge? Probably not, the human race survived before we got computers etc. I do think it's human nature to explore and discover new things. So I'm not sure if we can help it.
I personally think knowledge itself is valuable, but we probably would survive without any further scientific discoveries, it would be a boring world to live in though.
Feb 12, 2016 3:54 AM

Oct 2011
Not all pursuits toward knowledge require luxury, it really depends on the field.

More topics from this board

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - 9 hours ago

24 by xthewarwithinx »»
4 minutes ago

» If you are going to Dubai and need a car, enter here

cotetowemixx - Apr 9

10 by xthewarwithinx »»
13 minutes ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

30 by Sad »»
14 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - Yesterday

12 by Taiyaa »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

84 by Sad »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.