Forum Settings
Forums

Pope Francis Says He Angered Angela Merkel With Comments On Europe

New
Feb 9, 2016 5:01 AM
Mar 2015

Vatican City (AFP) - Pope Francis has revealed that he received an angry phone call from German Chancellor Angela Merkel after he compared Europe to a "barren woman", in an interview published Monday.

In a speech to the European Parliament in November 2014, Pope Francis delivered a withering attack on a "haggard" Europe which he said is "now a 'grandmother', no longer fertile and vibrant."

In an interview with Italy's Corriere della Sera, Francis said he had received an angry phone call from Merkel afterwards.

"She was a bit angry because I had compared Europe to a barren woman, incapable of producing children," Francis said.

"She asked me if I really thought Europe could no longer make children.

"I told her yes it can, and many, because Europe has strong and deep roots," he said, adding that "in the darkest moments, it has always shown itself to have unexpected resources."

In the wide-ranging interview, the Argentine pope also said he believes Russia can make a significant contribution to world peace.

And he expanded on why he is so keen on the bridge building that led to the announcement of a historic meeting with the Patriarch of the Russian Orthodox church, which will take place on Friday in Cuba.

"You have to build bridges, step by step," he told his interviewer. "Up to the point where you can shake the hand of the person on the other side."

Like China, "Russia has a lot to give," he added, even emphasising that the Vatican and Moscow's views had converged at times over recent crises in the Middle East.

Friday's meeting will be the first between the heads of the Roman Catholic and Russian Orthodox churches since an 11th Century schism between the Eastern and Western branches of Christianity.

Thoughts, MAL?
NashetaniaFeb 9, 2016 5:05 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 9, 2016 6:05 AM

Jul 2015
I might approve if I still had a sliver of respect for that man, but it evaporated long ago when he said the terrorist attack on Charlie Hebdo was deserved (and before some smart ass jumps on me, no he didn't said it explicitely. He said "if someone insults my mother ofc I'm going to punch him", wich is a pretty clear opinion on the subject and a nice apology of violence).
Feb 9, 2016 6:37 AM
Oct 2014
My thoughts? I think it's time for a new kulturkampf, and Germany could take the lead against the Latinos.

However, it can't be done with Merkel at the helm. No, she is a Catholic herself. Where is Bismarck when you need him?

"Europe - now a grandmother". Funny guy he is Francis. What's his plan to change this, though?

Feb 9, 2016 7:04 AM
Mar 2015
Rarusu_ said:

"Europe - now a grandmother".

I guess that old man is right. If Europe doesn’t change its attitude towards migrants, it might die pretty soon now. My question is, what’s Europe’s long-term plan for integrating refugees? Europe does need that plan, otherwise it will age and die.
Feb 9, 2016 7:25 AM
Oct 2014
Grudge said:
Rarusu_ said:

I guess that old man is right. If Europe doesn’t change its attitude towards migrants, it might die pretty soon now. My question is, what’s Europe’s long-term plan for integrating refugees? Europe does need that plan, otherwise it will age and die.

Migration is a bad solution for low fertility rates overall. Immigrants will after a generation or two also have the same low rates as the native population. If not, they will eventually replace the native population. It could also replace the culture.

Especially in Europe's case, migrants are not the solution, because the number of men outnumber the females, which means that there won't be a population growth anyway. In fact, this will be an even greater burden on the European welfare states when all these guys are going to retire.

Like Emmanuel Todd said, Europe is in a really bad shape.
The civilization will die if we don't do anything about it soon. Whether we have migrants or not doesn't matter.

Feb 9, 2016 7:30 AM

Jul 2015
Grudge said:
Rarusu_ said:

Reopen work camps and let "refugees" fly through the chimney
Feb 9, 2016 8:37 AM

Sep 2013
Clebardman said:
I might approve if I still had a sliver of respect for that man, but it evaporated long ago when he said the terrorist attack on Charlie Hebdo was deserved (and before some smart ass jumps on me, no he didn't said it explicitely. He said "if someone insults my mother ofc I'm going to punch him", wich is a pretty clear opinion on the subject and a nice apology of violence).

So you would let people insult your family? lol what a wuss, this is why the world is going into the trash, western men turning into pussies.
Feb 9, 2016 8:39 AM

Jan 2013
Well... If you rotate Europe on the map a little, it does look like a vagina.
Feb 9, 2016 9:06 AM

Jan 2011
Merkel already angered many europeans with her policy toward migrants anyway...
DeathNyxFeb 9, 2016 9:17 AM
Feb 9, 2016 9:42 AM

Jan 2011
He should have just said that 3rd world hordes are invading.
Feb 9, 2016 11:04 AM

Jul 2015
ichii_1 said:
So you would let people insult your family? lol what a wuss, this is why the world is going into the trash, western men turning into pussies.

Yeah, you can pretend that you're an alpha that goes rambo on people's asses IRL, nobody believes your posts anyway doge.
Feb 9, 2016 1:02 PM

Jan 2013
Grudge said:
Rarusu_ said:

No, what europe needs to do, is change its local culture and expectations and produce more of its own sons and daughters, even if it means punching some new age "traditions" it adopted in the face.
Feb 10, 2016 5:12 PM

Aug 2013
He's right. Europe has been an old and washed up power since the Cold War. Only the creation of the EU gave it some significance in modern times and that is already close to disintegrating. The migrant crisis is also sure to bring Europe down. BRIC in the future will replace Europe and America, China already is above like all western European nations economically and militarily. Europe also isn't even the main vanguard for Christianity anymore considering it has been turning more and more to atheism and taking in more and more Muslims. If ISIS becomes too powerful in the future by taking over the Middle East and try to create a worldwide caliphate to spread radical Islam only Latin America would really be able to successfully stand up to it and preserve Christianity. Latin America being far from the Middle East, strongly Christian, has no Muslim majority countries would make it a perfect counterbalance and preservator of Christianity. It makes it quite fitting that the Pope is Latin American.
Feb 10, 2016 7:11 PM

Oct 2014
Well only one thing that should be said here:

Feb 10, 2016 8:26 PM
Feb 2014
The Based Pope should just overrule all of Europe at this point in time. Screw the EU.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.