Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 8, 2016 7:16 PM
Feb 2014
Since I read this manga I've wondered how other readers see Punpun and whether they'd see themselves in his place or not. I've read some reviews, posts, blogs, etc and most of them were rather negative and judgmental, specially on how did he handle Aiko, but imho his whole character was beyond that. I've come across some views on MAL as well, but thought on creating this thread for gathering diversity. Some questions to help writing your answer:

-Which Punpun's traits do you feel identified with?
-What is the worst mistake Punpun made in his life?
-Write 5 positive and 5 negative adjectives you'd label Punpun with.
-Do you feel pity for that guy?
-Do you think he could've enjoyed more his life?
-Do you think anyone could've helped avoiding some negative events through the story?

Feb 9, 2016 11:56 AM

Aug 2015
-Personally, Punpun resembled myself through-out most of the series and when he wasn't resembling me nor could I identified myself with him( mostly at the most dramatic parts like raping someone or Aiko's mom situation) I still could fully understand why he was doing what he was doing.

-This may sound a bit stupid but I guess meeting Aiko was definitely he's worst mistake. Him not running away with her was inevitable(his mom jumped off the hospital) and since then his whole life went into a depressing downward spiral that will result in him braking completely. But, you know how they say: You cant have love without pain, do you? He would've probably ended up as an "average" kid like his old classmate, but who knows? Punpun is, after all, a tragic protagonist.

-positive:
Kind
Hardworking
Respectful
Smart
Realistic :)

-negative
Naive
Abusive
Extreme
Coward
Egoistic

-No, but I do feel sad about his life(not the same thing as pity). I've always felt like reality was too harsh on that little guy, sometimes too un-fair, but this is a completely realistic manga, there's no un-fair here. I've realized how sad he actually was at the last arc with Aiko. His true moral-less nihilistic persona unraveled her-self at last and because so many ugly things made it to erupt so was his persona ugly as well.

-That's a nice question...Every thing is about how you see it from your perspective... But this is wrong to say. Punpun never really understood his own personal problems. He blamed others often and always acted like an introvert, sealing his problems inside him. If you don't understand your problems, where your depression is coming from, then you cant fix it. At first I thought that meeting Aiko, a girl he hoped to see for so long, will change his life for the better. After realizing that she's just like him, Punpun could start a new life with him, both of them fixing each other... What a big lie that was. As Punpun's uncle once said:"look at them, licking each other's wounds". So to sum it up, the answer is "No, no he couldn't"

-Well if Aiko mother wasn't such a bitch for the first place would be nice... However it wouldn't change much imo. His uncle definitely could've help him in many cases. He was much wiser than Punpun and he knew him well. Midory and Sachi could help him too but both of them had their reasons not to. Perhaps his friends could've straighten him up a bit(his old friends) but this is just assuming stuff.

Punpun is definitely a great character no matter what people said. He did wrong deeds in his life, things that are definitely low and disgraceful, however he redeemed them all at the end and finally, become an adult.

P.S: all who tell you otherwise are plebs, ok bye :D

EDIT: wow I thought about Oyasumi punpun since that post a lot actually... So I have some stuff to add (Even though I know no one gives a shit anyway :D)

I think his uncle could've helped Punpun a lot. I thought about the meaning of the show and one major meaning that came to my mind was that you shouldn't held on to your past and keep moving forward, not in a sense of "walk it off" but in a more "forget it, no point arguing over spilled milk". He's uncle did a horrible thing(at-least to his point of view) and he thought that it can happen again so he decided to isolate himself because of it, not to involve in anyone to not hurt them and get hurt yourself. He later learns by meeting Midori that you have to move on and maybe, your life will get better and it sure do eventually. Punpun since the beginning of the show gets attached to Aiko, and eventually she indirectly destroys his life. Every time he hopes that maybe hell find her again, every time he wants to make a connection with someone it breaks because he is sure that hes fated woman is Aiko and when eventually he meets her, he learns that she is exactly as pathetic as he is and that he was just clinging on to a false hope/dream that will never come true. If his uncle would tell him how you shouldn't look only at the past but to move forward(as he did) then maybe Punpun would've ended up with Sachi and then his life and even Aiko's life wouldn't shatter.

LowOfSolipsismFeb 10, 2016 11:04 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 51 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2013

17 by dusty22 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 50 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

skapuppet - Oct 18, 2009

112 by dusty22 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 6 Discussion

-Kazu - May 30, 2010

26 by tcandy19 »»
Yesterday, 9:32 AM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 144 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2014

29 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 2 Discussion

RaisinMuffins - Feb 20, 2012

46 by tcandy19 »»
Apr 22, 12:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.