Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 7, 2016 8:17 AM
Feb 2016
I was looking for an anime like Death Note and Code Geass (like many people are) and came across the monumentally famous Neon Genesis Evangelion.
I forced myself through all 26 episodes telling myself that it would get better but...it didn't.
It felt incredibly boring and the random psychological stuff felt like gibberish.
I know there's something I'm missing when I see the hype around the series and how people go around parading it as 'the best anime ever'.
Can someone help me see what was so great about it?

P.S. I haven't seen EoE, but I did read the plot on Wikipedia because I didn't feel like subjecting myself to another hour and a half of Evangelion. I like the fact that they resolved whatever plot there was in the anime.
idkloldudeAug 18, 2017 6:20 AM
Feb 7, 2016 8:18 AM

Nov 2013
It looks like someone has just been evangeliowned...

Feb 7, 2016 8:20 AM

Feb 2013
surprise quiz!

what's the instrumentality?
what was gendo's goal?
what happened in the last 2 episodes?
what happened with shinji's mom?

you should watch the movies too at least for the art
Feb 7, 2016 8:20 AM

Mar 2015
idkloldude said:
I was looking for an anime like Death Note and Code Geass (like many people are) and came across the monumentally famous Neon Genesis Evangelion.
I forced myself through all 26 episodes telling myself that it would get better but...it didn't.
It felt incredibly boring and the random psychological stuff felt like gibberish.
I know there's something I'm missing when I see the hype around the series and how people go around parading it as 'the best anime ever'.

P.S. I haven't seen EoE, but I did read the plot on Wikipedia because I didn't feel like subjecting myself to another hour and a half of Evangelion. I like the fact that they resolved whatever plot there was in the anime.
Eva is a very subjective show.But why did you find it boring?From the fight scenes to the mystery to psychology everything was done brilliantly .

Feb 7, 2016 9:30 AM

Oct 2013

Thread Moved from Anime Discussion to the Neon Genesis Evangelion Series Board.
For discussions relating to a specific anime, please use the anime specific series board.
Feb 7, 2016 9:50 AM
Mar 2015
-Who are the Angels?
-Who sent the Angels?
-Why do they want to destroy the humanity?
-Do all of the Eva series contain a soul?
-Who is the First Angel?
-What happened in The End of Evangelion?
-What happened to Gendo in the film?
-Why does Shinji strangle Asuka in the final scene of The End of Evangelion?
-Where is my Evangelion: 3.0+1.0?

I have so many questions; this show isn’t worth my time. I should rewatch Sword Art Online asap.
NashetaniaFeb 8, 2016 6:31 AM
Feb 7, 2016 10:14 AM

Dec 2015
Because it makes you think and leaves you to interpret things, because foreshadowing if you pay attention to visual details, because it deals with relatable real life issues, because the ost and particularly the opening are awesome, because the mecha designs rock, because yaoi fangirls love Kaworu, because the animation was good for its time even though they ran out of budget, because Asuka is the first big tsundere on the market, etc.

It's okay if you didn't enjoy it, but it's more than understandable why the anime was such a commercial boom on the market and why it's so praised as a monument by many people. I personally like it much more than Code Geass which is pretty fucking hyped as well but has significant flaws imo. Anyway NGE has few in common with CG and Death Note, it would be a shame to expect a manipulative mastermind out of Shinji...
KingRequiemFeb 7, 2016 11:45 AM
Feb 8, 2016 6:01 AM

Jan 2013
Likeable and relatable characters, intriguing plot, attracting world setting and atmosphere, great character interactions, fun moments between the main characters, and seeing them grow is an entertainment on its own.

You should watch EoE, even if you're skeptical about it, just watch it for the animation, its flawless
Feb 8, 2016 6:08 AM

Jun 2009
Some people like stuff that others don't like. For example figuring out the confusing mess that is Eva's plot. Some find it entertaining while others just don't want to bother with it.

I also say you should watch EoE. You won't have any more of an idea of what's going on but at least there's some awesome visuals.

As for the rebuild movies, the first two might be more your cup of tea (way less character driven psychological drama, more action) the second one is especially epic in my opinion. And then there is the third...
Feb 8, 2016 6:10 AM

Aug 2014
Grudge said:
-How are the Angels?
-Who sent the Angels?
-Why do they want to destroy the humanity?
-Who is the First Angel?
-What happened in The End of Evangelion?
-What happened to Gendo in the film?
-Why does Shinji strangle Asuka in the final scene of The End of Evangelion?
-Where is my Evangelion: 3.0+1.0?

I'd ask the angels
what definition of angels are you using
do they now
yes
Adam
Instrumentality
either he gets rejected from instrumentality or its a manifestation of his inner subconscious guilt before his AT field is lowered, given he does appear in the tv ending at least I prefer the latter explanation
up to interpretation, really
ask anno
Feb 8, 2016 6:31 AM
Mar 2015
idkloldude said:
Not sure if that last line was sarcastic, but I'll answer the questions to the extent of my knowledge anyway.

My whole message was nothing but sarcasm; I have been a fan of Eva for seven years now. Anyways, thanks for the reply.
Grudge said:
How are the Angels?

Who are the Angels, of course. Stupid me, tee-hee.

Grudge said:

Svelten said:

yes

What about Eva-00?
NashetaniaFeb 8, 2016 6:39 AM
Feb 8, 2016 6:59 AM

Aug 2014
Grudge said:

What about Eva-00?

Unit 00's soul should be the first Rei.
Feb 8, 2016 7:01 AM

Apr 2014
idkloldude said:

who gives a shit what u get or dont get

its called an opinion

i dont get why u love a trash show called Death Note
Feb 8, 2016 7:12 AM
Mar 2015
Svelten said:
Grudge said:

What about Eva-00?

Unit 00's soul should be the first Rei.

It has been awhile since I last saw Evangelion, but I believe that it has never been directly stated. It is an open secret that every Evangelion Unit must have a soul, so your theory should be correct.
Feb 8, 2016 8:50 AM

Feb 2013
idkloldude said:
First off, I'm really glad so many people responded so quickly. It was a pleasant surprise :)
Welcome to MAL :^)
NGE is one of those anime everyone has an opinion on, so it almost always creates much discussion and replies.

idkloldude said:
KingRequiem said:
Because it makes you think and leaves you to interpret things, because foreshadowing if you pay attention to visual details, because it deals with relatable real life issues, because the ost and particularly the opening are awesome, because the mecha designs rock, because yaoi fangirls love Kaworu, because the animation was good for its time even though they ran out of budget, because Asuka is the first big tsundere on the market, etc.

So it's famous for being the first of its kind? I suppose that does deserve credit. Maybe I didn't like it because the same stuff has been redone by its successors, but better (which was bound to happen, not accusing it of anything)
i'd say not only the first, but one of the few of its kind
though even before, we had ideon and devilman which were somewhat the inspiration for eva

idkloldude said:
I seem to have resolved my question. How do I close the thread? There isn't anything about it in the forum rules.
Report your first post, and say you want your thread closed... i did that before, and i can swear i read it somewhere in an advanced faq or something
Feb 20, 2016 5:13 PM

Apr 2015
Neon Genesis Evangelion is the type of show that requires you to think outside of the box, because of the many psychological and philosophy themes that are involve around the series. It's also very polarizing so a good junk of people tend to have mixed opinions or different point of view within the shows. I honestly would recommend to finish EoE and rewatch the show a couple times, you might end up liking it after a few watch just like some of us that have been with the series for years.

-Mastergold
Mar 3, 2016 9:02 PM
Jan 2011
Welcome! I think it all has to do with your expectations. Eva is justly popular for being a fantastic show, but just because it is popular by no means means that it should be the first thing you watch. I think its something that you have to be in a particular mindset to enjoy and not something I would recommend for first time anime watchers. If you're looking for great shows like Code Geass and Death Note, try out Soul Eater, Gakushi Tosen Asterisk, The Toaru Kagaku series (one of my first animes), Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Tokyo Ghoul, or History's Mightiest Disciple Kenichi. All of these animus are more action and suspense-oriented and definitely enough to keep you occupied. Good luck!
Mar 3, 2016 9:14 PM

Sep 2009
3deep5u
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 5, 2016 6:19 AM

Sep 2013
Well the characters are fucked up and pathetic but you still hope they would rise up and redeem themselves. But nooo... they become more downright pathetic.

Also every character is a hypocrite and only people who could be called rational are the three technical officers: glasses, long hair and puking mistress.

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Yesterday

59 by NewestPersonHere »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

194 by ToTheGyz »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

245 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 3:30 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

268 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 17, 4:15 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

290 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 16, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.