Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 7, 2016 11:21 AM

Apr 2010
Not a bad episode. More crying and emotions but there are some developments.
Haru x Yume <3

Feb 7, 2016 11:21 AM

Sep 2011
My ADD demands more fighting.
Feb 7, 2016 11:28 AM

Nov 2014
Mary is dat healer, the rest are nubs.
Feb 7, 2016 11:31 AM

Sep 2009
lizebutnotrize said:
Lmao even in a supposedly emotional scene they still manage to sexualize/objectify the shit out of Yume. Also where the fuck is her supposedly flat chest?

But she isn't flat. Ranta called her flat just for the insult, cause she has smaller breasts than Shihoru.
Feb 7, 2016 11:33 AM

Apr 2015
richard360 said:
LMAO these guys are bitching because Mary A FUCKING PRIEST refuses to be a tank.

They do realize she's probably wearing silk head to toe right? that doesn't grant much protecting against anything not even a cold breeze.

We ( and you in this case ) are one to talk with your knowledge through games and shows. They didn't get taught by anyone. They can't differentiate right from wrong. Over the many fights they had they formed a basic combat style that made them improve and win. Of course it wasn't good in the long run but they didn't know that. In the end they paid for it but only realized it now when a new person with a different perspective came into the group.

You see how confused they are with her ideas? They haven't ever heard any other opinions nor have they seen another party doing things different than them. Of course they would be irritated at first but that's also a part of their growth
Feb 7, 2016 11:33 AM

Jan 2013
rsc-pl said:
shuryukan said:
Amen.

Yet again an ep where nothing happens.

At least mary isn't too bad of a char

Yes, it's slow. And?

And? Didn't realize there needs to be more than a terrible pacing issue to dislike a series.
Feb 7, 2016 11:34 AM

Apr 2015
For people wondering why Ranta can’t quit being a Dark Knight, there is a certain condition when you join them. You are basically bound to the "job" as a Dark Knight for live something Ranta didn’t consider when he chose the class out of inexperience. In fact if he leaves, the guild will send people out to kill him.

Well to move on to their party and Mary. You can clearly see how uncomfortable they are with a new person in their group. Their social interactions were pretty much limited to their group of 6 people so someone completely new is strange for them. Maybe also the fact that she is supposed to "replace" Manato, someone they knew, just like that also makes it harder.

With Mary they now have the indirect comparison to other groups. What is their positioning etcetera. By having that information they slowly realize how odd their and especially Manato’s behavior in combat was. Nobody showed them how to fight correctly as a team so they also didn’t know what was right and what was wrong. They realized that this tactic worked and they pretty much rolled with it until they got punished for it.

What struck me the most were two things. Firstly how you can clearly see that Haruhiro is totally not prepared for the leader role right now. He somehow feels the obligation to be the leader due to Manato’s last words but he’s just not the person for that.

And secondly that they’ve really developed through this whole experience. Some examples.

-Haruhiro was always the person to think certain things instead of saying something. He now clearly declares his discomfort with Ranta and how he acts

-Ranta tries to be considerate and understand people ( although it doesn’t really work ) at least that is a start.

-Mogzo finally opens himself more and also speaks his mind and even gets loud if it’s necessary.

- Right at the start we see Yume actually showing some emotions besides being a positive person. She also has a point at where she just breaks

- Shihoru kinda distances herself again and she clearly needs time

But what is the most important thing, they actually have differences with each other. They don’t go the usual "We overlook the attitudes and misbehavior of others and understand each other completely" kind of route. It’s just natural to have fights after something like that.

Probably my most favorite episode from the execution to the things they adapt and the pacing :)
Feb 7, 2016 11:35 AM

Mar 2014
shuryukan said:
rsc-pl said:

Yes, it's slow. And?

And? Didn't realize there needs to be more than a terrible pacing issue to dislike a series.
Being slow isn't "having terrible pacing issues".
Feb 7, 2016 11:38 AM

Jan 2013
Paulo27 said:
shuryukan said:

Slow is an understatement. Stop kidding yourselves.

Also @rsc-pl
Mary isn't cold. She's honest. Why the fuck would she want to join a party where the a priest just died because the party misunderstood the role of a priest? Priests aren't tanks.
Feb 7, 2016 11:40 AM

Mar 2014
SMOOTH SEAS FOR HARUYUME LETS GO
budget went down for this episode im assuming...they had a different director too so i can understand. i feel like haruhiros arms were off proportion a lot of the time which was super distracting lol. i mean im willing to gloss over it since the voice acting and character portrayal were absolutely amazing.
Feb 7, 2016 11:40 AM

Dec 2013
I like Mary, but I wish they would move on from Goblins as soon as possible after seeing Renji.
Eh
Feb 7, 2016 11:41 AM
Jul 2018
I thought he would follow the "Manato!" shout with "Arigatou!" as it was beacuse of him that he was getting pussy.
Feb 7, 2016 11:42 AM

Nov 2015
Liking Mary, honest and generating some amusing interactions.
And just when I thought we were once again ending with drama, a slight twist of comedy with Yume being slightly slow on picking up what happened xD
Feb 7, 2016 11:43 AM

Aug 2013
shuryukan said:
rsc-pl said:

Yes, it's slow. And?

Well, you need to understand that there are people like me, who loves series like this. I hate full of action shit, it's boring and not worth my time.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 7, 2016 11:43 AM

Jul 2014
Paulo27 said:
FalotForonke said:
Mary seems interesting. At least she seems to know her stuff.
And can some LN reader tell me if Ranta has any scene where he isn't a complete douchebag? I mean, I don't mind that too much, but does he ever get any redeeming qualities?
You're meant to have already started picking up on Ranta's reasons but I guess it'll be more obvious later down the line.

Really? Now I feel dumb lol. Would you tell me please (I'm okay with spoilers concerning that matter)?
Feb 7, 2016 11:44 AM

Oct 2014
Loved the way they're managing Manato and Yume's feelings. The thing is they're focusing more in feelings than action nor RPG stuff and that's not necessarily bad.

Mary was really "meh", tough
Feb 7, 2016 11:45 AM

Jan 2013
rsc-pl said:
shuryukan said:

WellWell, you needunderstand that there are people like meme, who loves series like this. I hate full of action shitshit, it's boring and not worth my time.

That's fine and all; I can understand many people wanting a slower paced series, but I don't see why you had to quote me originally. Like you, I like certain elements of series, and super slow pacing isn't one of them.
Feb 7, 2016 11:47 AM

Sep 2014
bobzanny said:

Next week needs more Mary so all these YumexHaru can get a reality check on their ship.

Please, don't break my dream.
The ship has to sail.
Feb 7, 2016 11:50 AM

Aug 2013
shuryukan said:
Paulo27 said:

Also @rsc-pl
Mary isn't cold. She's honest. Why the fuck would she want to join a party where the a priest just died because the party misunderstood the role of a priest? Priests aren't tanks.

OH GOD.
Now I understand. You are watching it because you are into MMO right? Well I hate MMO. I don't care about how it works in game.
So let me say one thing. This show is trying to show us fantasy world from perspective of normal people, not from game realites. This is the reason why I'm still watching it (the second thing is male MC and Yume, they are great) . It's not something super-duper full of action shit overflowed by game logic and I'm really glad of it.
rsc-plFeb 7, 2016 11:55 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 7, 2016 11:59 AM

Jan 2013
rsc-pl said:
shuryukan said:

Also @rsc-pl

OH GOD.
Now I understand. You are watching it because you are into MMO right? Well I hate MMO. I don't care about how it works in game.
So let me say one thing. This show is trying to show us fantasy world from perspective of normal people, not from game realites. This is the reason why I'm still watching it. It's not something super-duper full of action shit and I'm really glad of it.

No? I'm not quite sure where you got that assumption from. In fact, every MMO anime I've seen previously I've not really enjoyed (sao, log horizon, etc), so I definitely didn't pick this series up for the MMO aspect.

I don't care for action, I didn't start the series for the action. It's the fact that a good majority of every episode is quite meaningless. Much of the dialogue and scenes contribute little to nothing to the characters or the story line. This episode, for example, they spent 60% of the episode in a bar when the entire scene could've been done in less than 30% of the ep.
Feb 7, 2016 12:01 PM

Dec 2012
rsc-pl said:
shuryukan said:

Also @rsc-pl

OH GOD.
So let me say one thing. This show is trying to show us fantasy world from perspective of normal people, not from game realites. This is the reason why I'm still watching it. It's not something super-duper full of action shit and I'm really glad of it.

This show follows pretty much all the laws of an MMO though, from classes, having to join guilds to low tier mobs giving you scraps. All the characters are amnesiacs who clearly aren't normal in this world standards, stumble around being angsty and bumping into each other. And yet are surprised that they've lost someone.. The show is wasting time with sad music segments with no dialogue and slow pans for like 5 minutes at a time just to show us all the pretty backgrounds and what not. I'm not sure why studios are still bothering with shows like log horizon, SAO and this. All of them seem to just go around in circles, or completely deviating from their subject matters :P

But maybe I just have to wait for this show to expand a little more, the way it's going, it feels like 12 episodes isn't going to be enough unless they start cramming content into them :P
Feb 7, 2016 12:05 PM

Dec 2014
And suddenly we have same no of boys and girls. I hope romance pops up and not the love triangles. But this show is really unpredictable
Feb 7, 2016 12:09 PM

Oct 2014
ibraheem234 said:
And suddenly we have same no of boys and girls. I hope romance pops up and not the love triangles. But this show is really unpredictable

Don't go expecting ships... you'll only let yourself down.

Then again reading the hug scene was a 100x less romantic than actually watching it.
Feb 7, 2016 12:11 PM

Sep 2013
Well that was a better episode than we've seen thus far and Mary seems like a cool character which was desperately needed.
Objurgo said:
This entire series thus far though

That's stupid. Now if the snail were water-painted, I'd be in total agreement.
Feb 7, 2016 12:11 PM
Jul 2015
Is it just me or was the Animation quality in the first tavern scene down quite a bit?
Also lighting and Colourness was down too through the entire Episode(also this was probably intentional to set the mood).
I fucking love that the pace is so slow! I can not even express how much these "little bits of story" every week keep me excited through out the entire week.
Feb 7, 2016 12:12 PM

Jul 2015
Kerozinn said:
surprise its another overdramatic borderline pointless episode!

Hey now. That's not fair.... they ALSO introduced a really fucking annoying girl to the party and met that really cunty guy in the tavern.

It's like this anime was like "Oh shit, everyone thinks our characters are shit... let's introduce some even worse characters and the originals will seem better by comparison!"
Feb 7, 2016 12:13 PM

Jan 2013
richard360 said:
LMAO these guys are bitching because Mary A FUCKING PRIEST refuses to be a tank.

They do realize she's probably wearing silk head to toe right? that doesn't grant much protecting against anything not even a cold breeze.

Which is RPG mechanic - especially from MMORPG. In AD&D priests could equip heavy armour and shield.

Main difference here is the fact that the universe of Grimgar declares itself as a "reality" and not the "mmorpg" (or tabletop) while being literally riddled with RPG tropes.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Feb 7, 2016 12:16 PM

Dec 2012
Old_Raven said:
Well that was a better episode than we've seen thus far and Mary seems like a cool character which was desperately needed.
Objurgo said:
This entire series thus far though

That's stupid. Now if the snail were water-painted, I'd be in total agreement.

Here you go!!!!!!

Feb 7, 2016 12:17 PM
Jul 2015
Another snorefest episode
Feb 7, 2016 12:18 PM

Apr 2010
Seems the group will have a hard time ahead of them particularly with Mary joining their ranks.
I almost wanted to say to little Yume this episode but that cuddle scene made up for it, i want more of that!!
And that misunderstanding at the end.
Feb 7, 2016 12:18 PM

Jan 2016
pablomc said:
Of course it's gonna be slow... 8 episodes to adapt 342 pages? Sure it could be done faster, however, this is how they choosed to adapt, those who don't like the pace, read the LN.

She's annoying for pointing out how stupid they are?
Feb 7, 2016 12:21 PM

Jul 2015
ibraheem234 said:

...fucking seriously?

This show is unpredictable? I guessed with 100% accuracy as to the first 2 central characters who will die in the story. This anime is VERY cookie cutter. It's weird to see people trying to say "This is not your standard fantasy", it literally couldn't be more standard. Log Horizon had more balls than this.

Hell, even SAO had more balls than this anime... and somehow better characters.

Also, seriously? Who cares about romance between a bunch of bland characters. The 3 guys are, 1 cunt, 1 characterless but acceptable MC and 1 gentle giant guy you forget exists. The girls are 1 bumbling retard who can't even feed a bird without falling over, 1 kuudere trope and... well, I actually like Yume but she's totally my trope of tomboy, cheerful idiot.

All of the characters in this are pretty bland, even the "OMFG SO COOL" Renji guy... but at least with Renji, it looks like they might have had a cool story.

Why pick the loser, retard group who can barely kill a single goblin instead of the group of soldiers people are like "Fuck, they showed up, let's keep our heads down."?
Feb 7, 2016 12:23 PM

Nov 2014
Despite Ranta being lot mouth, it is fun to see him doesn't have the brave to oppose Mary.
Eventhough Mary is non cooperative, I know that there a bright side about her to manner in such way.
Feb 7, 2016 12:25 PM

Nov 2014
Best episode for me so far. I like Mary and I'm looking forward to how she will get on with the team. Pacing is still horrible but damn, the last 5 minutes were fantastic.
Feb 7, 2016 12:26 PM

Jul 2015
chiyo-german said:
Despite Ranta being lot mouth, it is fun to see him doesn't have the brave to oppose Mary.
Eventhough Mary is non cooperative, I know that there a bright side about her to manner in such way.

And for me it's stupid that he has to be brave. Mary is not scary, tough or anything that would make this usually cunty guy be scared. So, it makes even less sense for his character.

His character was non-existent already, now it's confusing.
Feb 7, 2016 12:28 PM

Jan 2015
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:
Konoetan said:

The ship has to sail.

Mary is the only girl that'll be worth watching in this show.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
ShockedFeb 7, 2016 2:12 PM
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?

Sep 2014
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:
Konoetan said:

The ship has to sail.

ShockedFeb 7, 2016 2:12 PM

Jul 2015
darksasuke96 said:
Best episode for me so far. I like Mary and I'm looking forward to how she will get on with the team. Pacing is still horrible but damn, the last 5 minutes were fantastic.

I need someone to explain Mary to me as to why everyone here seems to be like "OMFG THANK GOD, BEST CHARACTER!!!"

She had like 5 lines at best and was just either boring or a cunt. She made Ranta look likable. That's hard to do.
Feb 7, 2016 12:31 PM

Dec 2012
ThatDarnIrishMan said:
darksasuke96 said:

I need someone to explain Mary to me as to why everyone here seems to be like "OMFG THANK GOD, BEST CHARACTER!!!"

She had like 5 lines at best and was just either boring or a cunt. She made Ranta look likable. That's hard to do.

Well obviously it's because she... Uhhh, hmm..
Feb 7, 2016 12:32 PM

Mar 2014
FalotForonke said:
Paulo27 said:
You're meant to have already started picking up on Ranta's reasons but I guess it'll be more obvious later down the line.

Really? Now I feel dumb lol. Would you tell me please (I'm okay with spoilers concerning that matter)?
Maybe not exactly his reasons but rather I'd expect people to start seeing past his asshole side with all the scenes the anime has put in to show that he actually has a brain and feelings in there and things affect him as well as much as anyone else.
His role in the party right now is to basically be the clown who keeps everyone distracted from what's going on and focus on him instead, not a particularly noble thing but that's what it is.
Later his interactions with the group get more dramatic as his behavior somewhat changes from someone who's there as a distraction and more to someone who tries to push the group forward (since Manato isn't there to do that anymore) which makes him a more dislikable character in the context of the group, but that's coupled with something else that happens that makes his character a bit clearer.
He's actually really, really tame compared to the novels, but people apparently still find him annoying as hell so I guess it's still working, I actually don't find him annoying at all here which makes me think a scene later on doesn't feel as justified, but I'm sure the anime will start ramping up his annoying side a bit more now to build up for that.
Paulo27Feb 7, 2016 12:37 PM
Feb 7, 2016 12:36 PM

Jan 2013
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:
Konoetan said:

The ship has to sail.

What? Is that from the LN/manga?

ShockedFeb 7, 2016 2:14 PM

Nov 2014
ThatDarnIrishMan said:
darksasuke96 said:

Well personally I liked how cold and calcuated she was. It's still too soon to guess but I think she can be the type of character who can make the team stronger by her noticeable presence and guidance. She seemed fairly experienced to me too. Also her interaction with the party so far brought a smile to my face, especially fights with Ranta. It's not like she's my favorite character but at least I like her.

Sep 2015
Wow, this was actually a decent episode. It's about time this stopped being so fucking awful.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 7, 2016 12:37 PM

Jul 2015
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:
Why are people complaining about Mary?

just because Mary is not a stupid CGDCT SHIT >Cute girls -(Stupid Girls Doing Stupid Things), fanservice character as Yume?

For God's sake, in the light novel Mary plays a very more important role and prominent than Yume, Mary performs higher made, in addition to adding more to the storyline that Yume which is a stupid fanservice character with genki personality.

these worshipers of generic heroines are getting done more stupid and retarded every show.

...Mary is generic as fuck. She's just a different trope. She's Kuudere as hell. She's just as fanservice focused.
Feb 7, 2016 12:38 PM

Mar 2014
ThatDarnIrishMan said:
darksasuke96 said:

Even after all her development I never really go all the love she got from novels readers. x_x
I guess maybe it's because the girls are really insignificant outside of Mary, the anime does a much better job there.
Feb 7, 2016 12:40 PM

Jul 2015
darksasuke96 said:

Well personally I liked how cold and calcuated she was. It's still too soon to guess but I think she can be the type of character who can make the team stronger by her noticeable presence and guidance. She seemed fairly experienced to me too. Also her interaction with the party so far brought a smile to my face, especially fights with Ranta. It's not like she's my favorite character but at least I like her.

Noticeable presence = Stood around and did nothing to help the group so far, refuses to speak with people and barely engages them so far except snide remarks.

Guidance = Complained they wanted her to help fight, told other people to make decisions on where to go instead of her and refused to perform magic on one of the few occasions she was needed.

Still not hearing any good arguments from people as to why she's not as awful as most of the characters in this show.

Look, I get it. I like a good kuudere occasionally, but I don't get the "OMFG SHOW IS SAVED" reaction by some people because she appeared and mumbled 2 lines in her 30 seconds of screentime.
Feb 7, 2016 12:42 PM

Dec 2012
darksasuke96 said:
ThatDarnIrishMan said:

She didn't do anything except role her eyes and stare at every one from the back of the group
Feb 7, 2016 12:43 PM

Jul 2015
Paulo27 said:
Even after all her development I never really go all the love she got from novels readers. x_x
I guess maybe it's because the girls are really insignificant outside of Mary, the anime does a much better job there.

If Mary is the main focus on the anime, that will be seriously sad times for me. Who knows? Maybe she suddenly gains a personality but right now, she's pretty much just the mage girl with a very slight attitude.
Feb 7, 2016 12:45 PM

Sep 2015
decent episode, but they waste so much time with unimportant things. they sat in the pub for more than half of the episode. i don't mind a slow development, but i don't want the it to end either rushed or completly unfinished

ItsMaz said:
Wow, this was actually a decent episode. It's about time this stopped being so fucking awful.

aren't you exaggerating a little bit?

Feb 7, 2016 12:45 PM

Nov 2013
The fact that Mary is best girl even though she was on screen for 30 seconds speaks volumes about the quality of the other girls
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2016

281 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 14, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2016

465 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 1:31 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2016

206 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2016

176 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 12:16 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2016

230 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 12, 11:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.