Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 7, 2016 7:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nice. Mary joins the team as a replacement of Manato. About time.

No wonder Ranta is happy since she's a girl.

Eh I think the episode was okay, felt somewhat boring but Ranta always keeps the energy up in the show. I think some of the characters are feeling down is still because of Manato's death. Oh well, shit happens. They'll get over it eventually. Yume's sorrow though :<

Stark700Feb 7, 2016 8:49 AM
Feb 7, 2016 8:01 AM

Nov 2013
kind of ...okay episode? I don't know.
This whole episode is mainly just proving how weak their team actually is, and their feeling about Manato's death. Nothing much to talk about this episode.

Other than that,
- Mary is 9/10.
- Until this episode, I still don't know if I treat this show as SoL action or Drama...
- surprise, surprise! no insert song ! (?)

dat sideboob...
Feb 7, 2016 8:41 AM

Apr 2015
Mary seems cool so far, although the others are still trying to adjust to her (lol at Ranta's polite speech). They realize how much of a change it is with Manato not around, and the crying scene was decent.
Feb 7, 2016 8:45 AM
Apr 2015
Nexxkinn said:
This whole episode is mainly just proving how weak their team actually is, and their feeling about Manato's death. Nothing much to talk about this episode.

Other than that,
- Mary is 9/10.
- Until this episode, I still don't know if I treat this show as SoL action or Drama...

dat sideboob...
Lmao even in a supposedly emotional scene they still manage to sexualize/objectify the shit out of Yume. Also where the fuck is her supposedly flat chest?
Feb 7, 2016 9:03 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
"Crying does not make you weak, Enduring does not make you strong" - This is some powerful shit right here

As expected, the fallout from Manato's death was quite depressing and like many of us were trying to explain last week, this death is huge because of how important he was to them as individuals as well as a party member/leader....It's going to be interesting to see how they adapt to him being gone but we're starting to see some change in everyone so this will be fun

And this is the famous Mary that I kept on hearing about.....I must say that she's not bad at all, heck I loved how real she was with them and straight up acted like an actual priest....It's amazing how she pretty much exposed how bad they were and how their methods were flawed....The conversation with the drunk guy made that even clearer

Lastly that ending between Haruhiro and Yume was beautiful and seeing how that entire scene played out was something else....That misunderstanding at the end was expected but from what I hear, this is going to have some repercussions but I'll hold off on forming an opinion on how I want this to go until later episode's

Great episode this week and I really liked seeing that one dude with the white hair again....Looks like he turned into a badass big shot
TokoyaFeb 7, 2016 9:11 AM
Feb 7, 2016 9:07 AM

May 2010
surprise its another overdramatic borderline pointless episode!
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Yume best girl. The first and the last scene were so powerful. Incredible stuff there.

The middle part dragged on a bit.
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Yay, finally Mary arrives. Man, Manato's death is sure affecting everyone. Haru x Yume is strong as hell :D

4/5
GoldenDevilGamerFeb 7, 2016 11:02 AM
Feb 7, 2016 9:09 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Manato this.....Manato that

They kept uttering his name even after his death, a bit annoying, but it showed that they depended on Manato too much.

About that Gold Coin from Renji, I wouldn't give it back to him if I were Haruhiko.....no time for some useless pride in situation like that, and just consider it a gift from friend.

I didn't know Yume was a bit oblivious lol.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Feb 7, 2016 9:13 AM

Apr 2014
That's a definite ship in my book

Feb 7, 2016 9:13 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Kerozinn said:
surprise its another overdramatic borderline pointless episode!
Is this supposed to be a joke/an attempt at baiting lol?
Feb 7, 2016 9:14 AM
Jul 2018
@rayadha true, he could've kept it, not to buy those badges or something but for daily life stuff.

anyways, a nice episode, it was pretty calm i guess?
Feb 7, 2016 9:18 AM

Jun 2014
So they got a new member in their group now and everyone (especially Ranta lol) is trying to get used to her. Most of the episode was pretty much them trying to cope with Manato's death (and of course, some obligatory goblin action). Lol at that misunderstanding with Yume, that really did look like a sexual situation. No insert song this week? I'm surprised.

RayAdha said:
About that Gold Coin from Renji, I wouldn't give it back to him if I were Haruhiko.....no time for some useless pride in situation like that, and just consider it a gift from friend.

I don't think it was necessarily just pride, Haru did say that Manato probably wouldn't have wanted them to accept the money so that's probably why he gave it back. But I do agree, I would have kept it if it were me.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Feb 7, 2016 9:19 AM

Dec 2012
This entire series thus far though

Feb 7, 2016 9:22 AM

Jan 2015
Whoa, A new team member. Even Ranta can't beat her on that literally "verbal war". Has somebody count how many "Manato" words in the episode?

Mogzo snapped and the silent take over.
MasceraFeb 7, 2016 9:37 AM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Feb 7, 2016 9:26 AM

Jan 2015
It wasn't a bad episode but...

Mary is annoying as fuck.
Feb 7, 2016 9:27 AM

Jul 2015
Of course it's gonna be slow... 8 episodes to adapt 342 pages? Sure it could be done faster, however, this is how they choosed to adapt, those who don't like the pace, read the LN.
Feb 7, 2016 9:27 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Xenocrisi said:

Because she called them out on their bullshit and actually acted like a proper conventional priest?
Feb 7, 2016 9:33 AM

Mar 2014
Damn, it really feels like the budget has been taking hits left and right, at least the fights aren't too poorly animated yet.

Mary... she's not exactly what I expected, well, for one I expected her to have long hair and like, I didn't expect her to sound so mean lol, I expected something more distant and less caring, I dunno.
She's also meant to come across as super beautiful and stuff and eh, didn't feel much of an impression.

And as expected the return of the coin wasn't quite the same either, it goes to show how Haruhiro was changed from the novels, here he had conviction, in the novels he was kinda scared and indecisive to return it.

Still though, wow, this was so well done.
What was meant to hit the most here wasn't him dying but the aftermath, I felt like the last episode dragged things on too long trying to make you sad when that wasn't the right time but man, this episode hit like a truck like it should, what a big truck too.

The "hug" scene wasn't quite a hug either, certainly didn't expect them to go all out emotionally there, Yume's performance was freaking amazing.

What a great put together aftermath episode.
Feb 7, 2016 9:36 AM

Nov 2015
Great episode, especially the part between Yume and Haru made me shed tears :(
Feb 7, 2016 9:36 AM

Jan 2015
Tokoya said:
Xenocrisi said:

Because she called them out on their bullshit and actually acted like a proper conventional priest?

Yes. She was indifferent on everything.

Feb 7, 2016 9:37 AM

Mar 2014
lizebutnotrize said:
Nexxkinn said:

Other than that,
- Mary is 9/10.
[]http://i.imgur.com/y9fgRou.jpg[/img]
dat sideboob...
Lmao even in a supposedly emotional scene they still manage to sexualize/objectify the shit out of Yume. Also where the fuck is her supposedly flat chest?
If she was flat you'd actually see a nipple here, well, you'd get the light of god in this case I guess.
Feb 7, 2016 9:39 AM

Jan 2013
Even death can't stop annoying juvenile teen drama "it's not like how it looks like!"
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Feb 7, 2016 9:54 AM

Apr 2013
OrangeJP said:

The only thing i look forword to in this show is Yume. She's so distracting :o

Feb 7, 2016 10:03 AM

Jul 2014
Finally, no insert song this episode!

In all seriousness though, this was a necessary episode to see how they dealt with the death of Manato. Interesting how the episode, much like the men in the party, largely shut the girls out until Haruhiro broke down in front of Yume right at the end. Seeing Moguzo get so angry was quite surprising, but in the circumstances the way he reacted (along with how everyone else acted throughout the episode) felt very realistic. As for Mary, indifferent or not, at least she knows what she's doing as a Priest. Someone like that, assuming they can ever get along with her, could be absolutely vital to their party.
Feb 7, 2016 10:09 AM

Sep 2014
I think I finally understand why Manato died now. Mary is a great addition to the team and hopefully, she helps them sort out their reckless teamwork. I kind of like her personality so far too.

. ..and obviously, I ship HaruxYume. (although I don't see it happening with the pace of this anime :c)

3/5
KonoetanFeb 7, 2016 11:45 AM
Feb 7, 2016 10:12 AM

Aug 2015
I start to like every character more and more... except for Ranta. He is suuper noisy and annoying. Pacing of this episode was a bit too slow for my taste, but still enjoyable. Hope to see a bit more next episode.
Chicken is love, chicken is life ~ ♥
Feb 7, 2016 10:14 AM

Sep 2013
This episode.

"manato was a defensive tank"

Geezus these guys are total wimps.
Renji was badass thou, so high up already.
Feb 7, 2016 10:15 AM

Aug 2008
Except for rather stupid antic at the end it was a very solid episode. Their reactions were quite realistic. They couldn't just sit and brood endlessly but had to move on with all that anxiety bottled up. I don't think it was all about loosing a friend, since they are still merely acquaintances grouped together by circumstances, but more about loosing a foothold and that bit of certainty they managed to acquire.

As for the gold coin, I'm quite surprised there are people saying he should have kept it. They would get money but it would also scar them even more. It would make them dependant and ruin any confidence left in them. Haruhiko had to (probably unconsciously) know that if he accepted that coin they wouldn't be able to go on by themselves.

After Dimension W dropping the ball this week Grimgar is the series for me this season. Like Rokka no Yuusha, Death Parade or Concrete Revolutio it's that one series that does things differently and does it well, helping you from drowning in the sea of mediocrity.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Feb 7, 2016 10:18 AM

Jan 2015
Mary's hair is a bit darker than I thought it would be...couldn't really get a feel on her VA. Kikkawa seemed more annoying here than in the LN and Renji seems to stand out more.

Next week needs more Mary so all these YumexHaru can get a reality check on their ship.

Well hopefully they wrap up Vol.1 by episode 7 so we can get to Vol.2
bobzannyFeb 7, 2016 10:27 AM
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Feb 7, 2016 10:20 AM

May 2011
Xenocrisi said:
Tokoya said:

Yes. She was indifferent on everything.

Mary probably understood really quickly to stay away from the fights cause it'll get her killed. The group she was with isn't very skilled at all. They got their previous Priest killed. A group that only found out AFTER Manato's death that priests need to stay away from fighting because they're a primary target to disrupting a party. Manato was all too happy to push himself into the line of fire cause he worried about the other members, without understanding his own life being in danger. Mary is not the same.

Yes Mary was cold and abrasive. But she's not part of the "group" yet. Maybe she's been in a group that's lost members before? Maybe she understands that maybe more of THIS group will perish?

Judging by the previews we'll probably find out soon enough.

-------------

This show has one main theme.

Renji and his crew are the baddass crew, the cool chicks, the jocks. Renji is like the Asian "Rambo".

Haru and his gang are the pervs, nerds, and skittish mouses. It's pretty much appealing to Otaku insecurities and how they will magically rise above it.

Renji handing Haru the gold coin and Haru giving it back was way more symbolic than it needed to be.

To me it made Renji seem callous. like "my bad for handpicking the best from our spawn group and leaving you weaker guys to scramble and fend for yourselves and lose a man. here's a gold coin for your troubles."
CirrisFeb 7, 2016 10:37 AM
Feb 7, 2016 10:23 AM

Jan 2013
Objurgo said:

Amen.

Yet again an ep where nothing happens.

At least mary isn't too bad of a char
Feb 7, 2016 10:25 AM

Jul 2009
Uwaaaa they're so pathetic lol. I knew Renji's group was doing well but DAMN they be elites practically. Makes me want to follow their story instead--ok that's not fair, this story has its charm too. But i'm still interested in Renji's side. He's a pretty decent person despite what you'd originally think (did Manato talk with the other members often?). Alternate stories damnit! And make the anime longer, we're not getting anywhere with so little.

I liked that drunk guy too. Kikkawa or something. I'm going to assume his craziness was impart because he was drunk.

Also liked Ranta and Marie's interaction lol. So polite. Ranta with Haru at the bar was funny too (don't apologize so fast)

Yume x Haru ship has officially sailed.

thebrentinator24 said:
So they got a new member in their group now and everyone (especially Ranta lol) is trying to get used to her. Most of the episode was pretty much them trying to cope with Manato's death (and of course, some obligatory goblin action). Lol at that misunderstanding with Yume, that really did look like a sexual situation. No insert song this week? I'm surprised.

RayAdha said:

I don't think it was necessarily just pride, Haru did say that Manato probably wouldn't have wanted them to accept the money so that's probably why he gave it back. But I do agree, I would have kept it if it were me.

I agree that they should have kept it as an emergency ration thing but I understand why it would be bad to take it. Makes other people think they are weak and take handouts for one. And also if 1 gold = 100 silver and they're struggling so much they may come to rely on it too much and slack off. When your desperate you work harder.

I mean we already see them wasting money on alcohol and accessories. At least when Manato went he was gathering info. They're literally wasting time chatting. Only the first time was useful because they met Kikkawa and got introduced to Marie.
InugirlzFeb 7, 2016 10:31 AM
Feb 7, 2016 10:30 AM

Jun 2014
Very good episode. Best so far imo. I'm surprised how realistic they managed to make the sorrow, despair, anger etc. It felt very human which 99% of anime don't seem to do properly.
Mary seems pretty crap. Personally I'd like it if she was removed from the party but I guess that isn't gonna happen.
Feb 7, 2016 10:38 AM

Nov 2009
It's like they're not moving and not even starting to pull themselves together. First and foremost, they need to decide already on the leader, without choosing one clear leader, they won't be able to move anywhere, new Priest or no new Priest. I wish Haruhiro took the lead already, he's the most suitable - the only suitable guy on their weakass excuse of a team. And then he should learn from Renji a little: he can't be the same type of a leader as Renji, but learning a thing or two from him is necessary at this point.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Feb 7, 2016 10:48 AM

Nov 2014
Touching moment between Yume and Haru
Hi there
Feb 7, 2016 10:48 AM

May 2011
Accelority said:
I start to like every character more and more... except for Ranta. He is suuper noisy and annoying. Pacing of this episode was a bit too slow for my taste, but still enjoyable. Hope to see a bit more next episode.

yeah, this show does seem to want to build up the characters so much that you care for their struggles and triumphs. But the problem is, it's only 12 episode show. If it was 26 episodes like the old days the pacing would be just right. We'd know there's plenty of show left to build and move the plot. But dammit it's 12, there ain't no time to deal this slow wallowing mess.

It's like a reverse of the "moonlight cats / Sashi" story in Sword Art. They burn that in 1 episode. which i thought was a travesty given how much that story effected the MC mindset later on.

This story there's almost a bit too much of it. But I'd rather this type of storytelling than bastardized snippets from SAO. I just hope this isn't a 1 cour and done show.
Feb 7, 2016 10:50 AM

Dec 2015
Grunkalunka said:
I'm surprised how realistic they managed to make the sorrow, despair, anger etc. It felt very human which 99% of anime don't seem to do properly.

Word. Even though not much was happening, this episode was really satisfying for me. Mostly because of how realistic the emotions of the characters are being expressed.
Feb 7, 2016 10:51 AM

Sep 2015
Yume best girl *3*
I hope nest week episode will be focus on Mary
Feb 7, 2016 10:52 AM
Apr 2015
OrangeJP said:

same same same I had to screenshot that part
Feb 7, 2016 10:56 AM

May 2015
mary was right though

PNDRetro said:
OrangeJP said:

same same same I had to screenshot that part

this just became aots
Feb 7, 2016 10:59 AM
Jun 2015
WTF I actually cried in the scene with Yume :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2016 11:00 AM

Jul 2014
Mary seems interesting. At least she seems to know her stuff.
And can some LN reader tell me if Ranta has any scene where he isn't a complete douchebag? I mean, I don't mind that too much, but does he ever get any redeeming qualities?
Feb 7, 2016 11:04 AM
Jul 2012
I really want more than 12 episodes with this pacing. Easily one of the best developments I've seen in a while.
Feb 7, 2016 11:06 AM
Feb 2016
I thought this episode was pretty solid. Yume was amazing and I enjoyed the commentary about strength, sorrow, and emotion in the scene with Haru.

I'm not sure how to feel about the end.

Last time something like that happened it had repercussions, so hopefully they use it for more meaningful interaction between the characters.
Feb 7, 2016 11:06 AM

Mar 2014
FalotForonke said:
Mary seems interesting. At least she seems to know her stuff.
And can some LN reader tell me if Ranta has any scene where he isn't a complete douchebag? I mean, I don't mind that too much, but does he ever get any redeeming qualities?
You're meant to have already started picking up on Ranta's reasons but I guess it'll be more obvious later down the line.
Feb 7, 2016 11:07 AM

Sep 2010
No more mercy on this anime, they fucked up Mary design!

Don't read, blow is a wall of hate!

The story goes extremely slow and yet it feels like they are skipping basically everything. Ever since first episode the whole opening sequence was done horribly. Then in first few episodes there was nothing at all, there were music sequences for few minutes... WTF.

Next the battles are basically there for the sake of it while in LN they are actually well made and are quite exciting. The simple goblins are difficult enemies for them and they are written like last bosses of normal story and the difficult of the fights are also like that.

The anime also changes many facts for the sake of it. In battle where Manato died they didn't get ambushed like that. They got overcook attacked the two well de-scripted goblins that were clearly different than before and they go punished for that, clear and simple. Not some random ambush or random single arrow in the back.

The drama with Manato was done terribly as well, the impact was more of 'okay he is dead'.

Next we have this sequence, and Mary gets introduced... her appearance is like she was completely unimportant character and all the battles with her and the reason why she annoys everyone is not shown either. We don't really see the differences between her and Manato as fighting sequences with both were simply skipped. We didn't see how Manato was doing his Priest job and the way Mary does her priest job was also changed.

It doesn't matter does it though... she isn't important character after all.

Currently I am completely in hate mode... I don't want to see the next episodes much. I know what happens in them and I know that I won't be any excited about the outcome as the build up to that outcome was not built... ...

Okay end of hating mode. Please do remember that words written by someone in hating mode should be ignored and after calming down and turning off the hater mode the person might not think the same.

I will never forgive that character design though as I basically watching this anime for the visuals and fragments of the story that I read and liked a lot.
Feb 7, 2016 11:17 AM

Aug 2013
shuryukan said:
Objurgo said:

Amen.

Yet again an ep where nothing happens.

At least mary isn't too bad of a char

Yes, it's slow. And?
+Mary is a typical cold character (=boring shit) I will never understand why you people are liking characters like this.

OrangeJP said:

Same.
rsc-plFeb 7, 2016 11:40 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 7, 2016 11:20 AM

Jun 2010
LMAO these guys are bitching because Mary A FUCKING PRIEST refuses to be a tank.

They do realize she's probably wearing silk head to toe right? that doesn't grant much protecting against anything not even a cold breeze.
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Feb 7, 2016 11:21 AM
Jul 2018
Mary joins Haruhiro's party as a replacement of Manato.

Mary seems like a cool character so far!
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2016

466 by T-h-u-n-d-e-r »»
Apr 22, 10:17 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2016

281 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 14, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2016

206 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2016

176 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 12:16 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2016

230 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 12, 11:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.