Forum Settings
Forums
New
yay or nay?
Feb 5, 2016 2:30 PM

Feb 2014
>inb4 everyone mentions facebook

a lot of forums have 'like' buttons now and i think it's a pretty neat feature. tbh it would help with post quality bc instead of replying 'i agree' or just quoting a post, they could use the like button and not have to post at all.

so ye, just a thought.
Feb 5, 2016 3:33 PM

Jul 2013
No, fuck that. I hate when forums are turned into some popularity contest.
It brings out the annoying tryhard in people.
Feb 5, 2016 3:47 PM

Feb 2010
lustinNthrustin said:

It also has the side effect of shunning unpopular opinions. All things considered I'm not a fan of this kind of thing. It doesn't necessarily improve post quality, but it definitely incentivizes attention whoring.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 5, 2016 4:00 PM

Jun 2008
I don't like being told which posts are good and which are bad. All these likes and thumbs ups want to brainwash me into thinking that I will like or dislike a post before I even start reading it. Annoying manipulative crap. I can form my own opinion thank you very much.
kuchitsuFeb 5, 2016 4:04 PM
Feb 5, 2016 4:07 PM

Feb 2014
lustinNthrustin said:

you're right, that is the downside of features like 'like' buttons
Feb 5, 2016 4:41 PM

Mar 2010
I'm not against this. I don't get easily annoyed or get butthurt if popularity is a "thing". Thats why voting is a "thing".

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 5, 2016 5:08 PM
Jan 2016
This could go either way though..honestly I'm not big fan of it. Everybody perceives "likes" as different things and it just causes a massive headache. Do we really need to like a post to really understand that some people probably thought it was funny or important? Kind of beats the point of responding and sharing your thoughts.
Feb 5, 2016 5:10 PM

Mar 2010
SymphonySpring said:
This could go either way though..honestly I'm not big fan of it. Everybody perceives "likes" as different things and it just causes a massive headache. Do we really need to like a post to really understand that some people probably thought it was funny or important? Kind of beats the point of responding and sharing your thoughts.
Yeah but we can clearly see many users browse but don't post anything at all, perhaps they would be more inclined to advocate for a post instead of just browsing then leaving. Just like with this thread users can vote and leave without leaving a reply, but a "like" system would be more user specific.

controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 6, 2016 1:47 AM
Jul 2018
i'd like to say yes and no. it has it's pros and cons ..
well i guess i'm not totally against this, this would be a nice feature to have.
Feb 6, 2016 1:56 AM

Jul 2013
nay, this isn't needed.

kekekekekekkekekeke

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Feb 6, 2016 2:55 AM

Jun 2008
SymphonySpring said:
Everybody perceives "likes" as different things and it just causes a massive headache.

One of the weirdest cases was when on VK (which is Russian Facebook basically) someone posted the manifesto of a killer that just murdered several people in Moscow, and it was "liked" by thousands of people. That looked so wrong, heh. Same thing happens every time a celebrity's death is reported: it also gets tons of thumbs ups and then someone reacts like "wtf guys, are you happy that they died or what?". This is why it's usually better to actually say what you think instead of using some button with a rather vague meaning.
Feb 6, 2016 6:31 AM

Jul 2012
Really don't think this is necessary for a number of reasons, some mentioned above. But importantly this isn't promoting discussion, if anything it promotes the opposite.

Please be aware that threads like this have been made before, remember to do a thread title search before creating future threads. :)
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=747639
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1359425
Feb 6, 2016 6:47 AM

Mar 2010
First off, Fuck Facebook. Or any other site for that matter.

Secondly this thread isn't promoting discussion thanks to the poll that is letting users vote without saying anything. So MAL isn't completely against just voting. I think its oxymoronic to allow polls but not likes(since both can potentially stop users from posting), or whatever you want to call it. So lets get rid of polls and stay consistent or else not be against likes but not blame it completely for "not promoting discussion". So that argument fails, try again.

But my feels.
Feb 6, 2016 6:52 AM

Nov 2011
Only if it have dislike button too.

Feb 6, 2016 10:09 AM

Mar 2010
tsudecimo said:
No. The new character limit already deals with ''I agree'' ''This'' type of posts. Forums already especially Casual Discussion feel like a popularity contest/attention whore galore. This would just make everything worse.

I don't even see the upside to this. If you liked someone post let them know in their profile comment or use PM.
Its not about dealing with "those" type of post, but rather show what posts are more likable or if others agree with someones post. As for the other stuff like.. Popularity and Attention seeking.. Well It doesn't bother me. Why can't we all be awesome like me? :v

If you didn't like this suggestion you could have just pm'd the person who made the thread KeK

Why are there so many regressive's in here? I understand not wanting this, but Not for the shit reasons expressed on here.

But my feels.

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Yesterday, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Yesterday, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.