Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 5, 2016 11:49 AM

Jun 2015
in media res is when a form of media start in the middle as to foreshadow. Not directly targeted towards anime (in games, movies, etc), but how do viewers of this topic feel about this form of foreshadowing? is it effective? I'm not particularly fond of this because usually it ends up flubbing or the events following once it reaches that point doesn't live up to the hype. what are your opinions? anime i can think of: akatsuki no yona, psycho pass
Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen
Feb 5, 2016 11:59 AM

Jan 2013
Wusteven said:
in media res is when a form of media start in the middle as to foreshadow. Not directly targeted towards anime (in games, movies, etc), but how do viewers of this topic feel about this form of foreshadowing? is it effective? I'm not particularly fond of this because usually it ends up flubbing or the events following once it reaches that point doesn't live up to the hype. what are your opinions? anime i can think of: akatsuki no yona, psycho pass

It can work in especially slow anime.

Mushi-Shi does it since you don't learn about Ginko's past until very late in the first season. It's done because Ginko's story is one of the more interesting ones and Mushi-Shi doesn't want to undervalue the other stories.
Feb 5, 2016 12:03 PM

Nov 2009
It often works better than the authors trying to cram all the fun things that are needed to evaluate an anime into the starting episode.
Feb 5, 2016 12:05 PM

Jan 2016
Most of the shows I've really liked employed this tactic.

I don't really attribute it to that though.
Feb 5, 2016 12:22 PM

May 2015
I love the 'in media res' style. It's not always profound, but it always grabs you by the throat. It throws you into a situation and immediately makes you ask questions, like how the characters got there and so forth. It's a great hook.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 5, 2016 1:07 PM

Dec 2015
Trigun is probably the best example of In Medias Res I can think of in anime.

A more recent example would be Shinmau no testament where the entire world is setup and every character is already fairly seasoned in their field with a major plot point already having played out before the time of the first episode. We are gradually fed the backstory through brief glimpses of information ... which fuels speculation from the audience in a good way.

A terrible example would be Kara no Kyoukai.... it tries to play it cool and not give us a setup until way later, which leads to a bunch of incomprehensible nonsense. There is a reason Kara no Kyoukai is pure garbage except for the magnificent Paradox Spiral.
Feb 5, 2016 1:16 PM

May 2015
I like the device. I think it's good to start off in the middle with a "hook" scene and then rewind to show how we got here. The bad thing is that it's not a hard device to screw up; not making the opening scene interesting enough or showing the connections to the flashbacks well enough.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 33 seconds ago

0 by Absurdo_N »»
33 seconds ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 2 hours ago

9 by Rhaelynne »»
36 seconds ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 11 hours ago

40 by Ravex1 »»
3 minutes ago

» Have you ever come across anime-related fakes?

RobertBobert - 1 hour ago

7 by Rhaelynne »»
3 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - 9 minutes ago

2 by TheMechaManiac »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.