Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 16, 2016 2:34 AM

Jan 2013
Major123 said:
TR-8RCaim said:
Yes.

For the first two.

Get to it fuckboi.
In terms of writing, Trails in the Sky is miles ahead of Cold Steel.
I'm gonna have to disagree and say Cold Steel I has a more developed cast and story then Sky. Also the ending in Cold Steel I is fucking fantastic and sets up for II very nicely.
More developed cast? How?

They all seem to be more like glorified anime archetypes. Please explain. How is Fie better than Joshua or Renne? How is the Persona-esque romance better than the romance in Trails in the Sky? How is playing as a generic Japanese school boy better than playing as a bracer? The combat is better, the voice acting, especially from Rean, is nice; but there's no way the writing or characters beat Trails in the Sky.
Feb 16, 2016 6:39 AM
Feb 2014
TR-8RCaim said:

They all seem to be more like glorified anime archetypes. Please explain. How is Fie better than Joshua or Renne? How is the Persona-esque romance better than the romance in Trails in the Sky? How is playing as a generic Japanese school boy better than playing as a bracer? The combat is better, the voice acting, especially from Rean, is nice; but there's no way the writing or characters beat Trails in the Sky.

I didn't play Trails in the Sky but I disagree that the characters in the Trails of the Cold Steel are glorified Anime archtypes or at the very least that they are not truly well developed.

I also wouldn't say that romance in Trails of the Cold Steel is that similar to Persona. Persona develops characters mostly through interactions while Trails of the Cold Steel characters develop through story and the interactions are always based on the situation the character is in.

Also, I am very fond of playing as a student in the school and would probably like it more than playing as a bracer. In fact, I think the school and being the student among students and the entire setting is one of the most interesting aspects of the game.
Feb 16, 2016 7:07 AM

Jan 2013
narutobirama said:
I didn't play Trails in the Sky but I disagree that the characters in the Trails of the Cold Steel are glorified Anime archtypes or at the very least that they are not truly well developed.

Also, I am very fond of playing as a student in the school and would probably like it more than playing as a bracer. In fact, I think the school and being the student among students and the entire setting is one of the most interesting aspects of the game.
Why are you replying? Play Trails in the Sky first. My whole post was refuting a comparison between Trails in the Sky and Cold Steel. At least play TitS before coming into this.

I also wouldn't say that romance in Trails of the Cold Steel is that similar to Persona. Persona develops characters mostly through interactions while Trails of the Cold Steel characters develop through story and the interactions are always based on the situation the character is in.
Persona characters are developed by story and interaction too. They're the same.
PeenusWeenusCaimFeb 16, 2016 7:12 AM
Feb 16, 2016 7:47 PM

Jan 2013
TR-8RCaim said:
Major123 said:
I'm gonna have to disagree and say Cold Steel I has a more developed cast and story then Sky. Also the ending in Cold Steel I is fucking fantastic and sets up for II very nicely.

Each classmate is from a different family of differing classes, giving each character a different perspective on what happens with the world and how they feel about certain issues. I really like that aspect about the writing and Sky didn't really have that. Also isn't Joshua an anime archetype as well? One more thing is that them being in military schoo and going on field studies makes a hell of a lot more sense then, "Oh your 16 now, here you can now become a bracer and travel the world with a fairly good chance of death coming your way".
Major123Feb 17, 2016 7:34 PM
Feb 16, 2016 8:15 PM

Apr 2013
insan3soldiern said:
hoopla123 said:

True but the strongest (literally two females who are at the top) and some of the most badass characters in the series are all female.

Females in this series aren't just mages or weak romance interests to the MC.

Well, even in Trails in the Sky I've noticed that there are a lot of women in a position of power. The mayor of Bose, the Queen, even that merchant girl Mirano is making waves. Scherazard is a pretty famous Bracer apparently, as well.

Yes, but literally the two females I'm talking about are the strongest in fighting power as well. One is beyond human capabilities while the other is the only person who can match against her in a straight up one versus one.

Not really a spoiler since they are revealed right away in the 3rd and Ao but the two characters are
Feb 16, 2016 9:07 PM

Jun 2015
did anyone think sora's ost was inferior to cold steel's? also cold steel really suffers from the school setting vs sky's travel the world for a better reason. all of a sudden cold steel reminds me of cold(kappa) geass
Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen
Feb 16, 2016 9:12 PM

Apr 2013
Wusteven said:
did anyone think sora's ost was inferior to cold steel's? also cold steel really suffers from the school setting vs sky's travel the world for a better reason. all of a sudden cold steel reminds me of cold(kappa) geass

pls.

Sen wishes it had the amount of quality Sora had in its OST.

(Zanmai version but holy shit this one is so sexy)

Honestly though, Zero/Ao had the best soundtrack of the series.
Feb 16, 2016 9:16 PM

Jun 2015
hoopla123 said:
Wusteven said:

pls.

english script for those games need to come thru and it will be played side by side
Feb 16, 2016 9:47 PM

Apr 2013
Wusteven said:
hoopla123 said:

pls.

english script for those games need to come thru and it will be played side by side

Yeah good thing there is a fan translsation of Zero/Ao going on.

Sadly none for the 3rd, which is probably the most crucial game to play out of the entire series to understand the whole underlying plot as well as Zero/Ao/Sen.

Zero/Ao does have a great track tho

Feb 17, 2016 7:46 PM

Jan 2013
Hey Hoopla should I get the vita versions of Ao/Zero or the PSP version? Or is their a PC one I could get? This is once the patches get released.
Feb 17, 2016 8:12 PM

Apr 2013
Major123 said:
Hey Hoopla should I get the vita versions of Ao/Zero or the PSP version? Or is their a PC one I could get? This is once the patches get released.

The fan translation patch will release for the PC version since the Chinese version has both Zero and Ao on PC.

So yeah, the PC one will be the one you will play. Don't know if the translators will give you a torrent link or force you to buy it to play (the games are like 10 bux each anyways, super cheap for the best JRPGs ever).
Feb 18, 2016 6:36 AM

Jan 2013
hoopla123 said:
Major123 said:

The fan translation patch will release for the PC version since the Chinese version has both Zero and Ao on PC.

So yeah, the PC one will be the one you will play. Don't know if the translators will give you a torrent link or force you to buy it to play (the games are like 10 bux each anyways, super cheap for the best JRPGs ever).
So I need to buy the chinese version of the games?
Feb 18, 2016 7:12 AM

Apr 2013
Major123 said:
hoopla123 said:

So I need to buy the chinese version of the games?

Most likely unless the fan translators decide to put out a torrent link for you guys.

Mar 8, 2016 7:20 AM

Apr 2013
Welp, I ended up ordering my copy of Sen no Kiseki I and II.

Can't wait till it arrives (although I already got spoiled on one of the biggest mind fucking plot twists in Sen II)
Mar 8, 2016 8:17 AM
Apr 2015
Why don't you want to play as a staff wielding qt?
Aug 3, 2017 3:08 AM
Apr 2013
No jap dub in PC release. My inner weaboo is hella triggered yo.
Aug 3, 2017 7:25 AM

Mar 2014
worldeditor11 said:
Waiting for undub too.
Aug 3, 2017 8:53 AM

Jan 2017
Paulo27 said:
worldeditor11 said:
Waiting for undub too.

That's what my friend and I are waiting for currently to this day...
Aug 3, 2017 9:43 AM

Jun 2015
Dark_Enforcer said:
Paulo27 said:
Waiting for undub too.

there's a patch for it
Aug 3, 2017 10:17 AM

Mar 2014
Dark_Enforcer said:
Paulo27 said:
Waiting for undub too.

"to this day" lol, it came out yesterday.
Someone on /vg/ already made it:
Jap voices for CS:
https://mega.nz/#!WkUyhDbb!B8dXNO2aBwNHibQ7tjTCyQLrX-bbBUV2jkZVUYxJ0Q4
Dummy files:
https://mega.nz/#!AoVmhDoL!h7fYCD14LQD14Ema9zWVvqHZegYJX2PF9EYWbn3x-DM
Dummy files are blank files to remove the added lines for the PC release, if you do not use the dummy files you'll get all the Japanese lines like you'd expect and then some extra lines (which I think aren't voiced in the Japanese release) in English.
Aug 3, 2017 4:10 PM
Apr 2013
Paulo27 said:
Dark_Enforcer said:

Jap voices for CS:
Dummy files:
Dummy files are blank files to remove the added lines for the PC release, if you do not use the dummy files you'll get all the Japanese lines like you'd expect and then some extra lines (which I think aren't voiced in the Japanese release) in English.

Thank you for sharing. Will I miss anything story-wise by using the dummy files too?
Aug 3, 2017 5:09 PM

Mar 2014
worldeditor11 said:
Paulo27 said:
Jap voices for CS:
Dummy files:

Thank you for sharing. Will I miss anything story-wise by using the dummy files too?
The dummy files really just cancel out those dubbed lines. Like I said, not sure if by using the dummy files the lines you're blocking will then be voiced in Japanese, if you decide to not use the dummy files you'll just have random lines be voiced in English (but by using the dummy files you might end up with no voice for those certain lines).
Either way, using the dummy files is the complete undubbed experience.

EDIT: Yes, by using the dummy files you're removing those voiced line and they won't be voiced in Japanese either. Only way to get those lines is with the English dub so you either go dub only and a mix (if you care about listening to all the dialogue and don't mind some unvoiced lines with the complete Japanese version).
Paulo27Aug 3, 2017 6:03 PM
Aug 3, 2017 6:03 PM

Jul 2013
This thread is meme tier tbh.
Aug 4, 2017 5:29 AM
Apr 2013
PSA: If you experience any crashes on an AMD graphics card, chances are, you can fix it by turning the MSAA option down to 2x.
Aug 5, 2017 4:12 AM
Apr 2013
Oh lawd, spare me the tsundere please. Can I get other girls as my main heroine? Otherwise, this new Persona game is quite good.
Aug 5, 2017 7:12 AM

Jan 2013
worldeditor11 said:
Oh lawd, spare me the tsundere please. Can I get other girls as my main heroine? Otherwise, this new Persona game is quite good.
Don't worry bruh, you can pick who you want. Alisa is ass, that's why Falcom gave the player other options.
Aug 13, 2017 7:50 AM
Apr 2013
Okay, I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, it was loaded with anime tropes, PS2 graphics, NPCs backstories, maids, butlers, walking, dialogue, fighting, walking, walking, dialogue, extremely steep boss difficulty and even more walking. On the other, yeah, I will admit, I like it enough to finish it albeit rushing to. Nevertheless, no words can describe how disappointed, furious, sad I was when the game "ended". I was like that's it? I spent 80 hours on this game and that's freaking it??? Game cliffhanger of the decade!

MAJOR SPOILERS:

Major123 said:
worldeditor11 said:
Don't worry bruh, you can pick who you want. Alisa is ass, that's why Falcom gave the player other options.

The girls in Class VII are meh to be honest. Sharon, Claire, Sara or even Towa are the better choices. Need my Onee-san tachi yo.
Aug 13, 2017 10:38 AM

Jul 2009
worldeditor11 said:

MAJOR SPOILERS:

The girls in Class VII are meh to be honest. Sharon, Claire, Sara or even Towa are the better choices. Need my Onee-san tachi yo.

And yeah, as much as I like the Class VII girls, the side characters like Sara and Claire are infinitely better lol.
Aug 13, 2017 11:05 AM
Jul 2018
I just started playing FC and really like the soundtrack, hope it lives up to the hype. Cold steel won't run in my old pc for sure.
Aug 13, 2017 11:27 AM

Jun 2012
Did a few playthroughs of this game and it's pretty good

!@#$ the boss that comes w/ this music tho. Even on NG+
Aug 13, 2017 11:48 AM

Jan 2017
I'm actually really enjoying this game a lot more than the PS3 version.
Aug 13, 2017 5:32 PM

Jan 2013
worldeditor11 said:
Okay, I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, it was loaded with anime tropes, PS2 graphics, NPCs backstories, maids, butlers, walking, dialogue, fighting, walking, walking, dialogue, extremely steep boss difficulty and even more walking. On the other, yeah, I will admit, I like it enough to finish it albeit rushing to. Nevertheless, no words can describe how disappointed, furious, sad I was when the game "ended". I was like that's it? I spent 80 hours on this game and that's freaking it??? Game cliffhanger of the decade!

MAJOR SPOILERS:

Major123 said:

I'll give you the first 3 but Towa is kind of meh as a romantic option. Solid character though. For me it was Fie, Laura, and Sara that I liked the most.
Aug 14, 2017 1:16 AM
Apr 2013

Skittles said:
worldeditor11 said:

MAJOR SPOILERS:

And yeah, as much as I like the Class VII girls, the side characters like Sara and Claire are infinitely better lol.

Thanks for the heads up. Fingers crossed the second arc come by the end of this year....

Akito_Kinomoto said:

!@#$ the boss that comes w/ this music tho. Even on NG+

Yeah, hate the one hit KO thing and the extremely steep difficulty between enemy mob and bosses. But sucking one of your char into the boss itself takes the top cake.

Major123 said:
For me it was Fie, Laura, and Sara that I liked the most.

My first dance partner choice was Laura. Something about Laura being that all uptight with everything doesn't sit well with me. Therefore I reload my save to go with Fie. No regrets. Still prefer those dem Onee-san a whole lot more. Not sure why Elliot was given as one of the choices...
Aug 14, 2017 2:59 AM
Dec 2016
I have finished tits 1st chapter . Very good game
Playing tits 2nd chapter . God dammit , it's so damn tough . I have progressed to 3rd chapter of 2nd game but it took me 3 months to do so x_x got stuck on my way to royal villa . Have to extreminate the monster on the road to progress but they kill me with ease . I am lvl 53 right now .

@hoopla123 help SOS T_T 😭
"You are what your deep, driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny. " -Brihdaranyak Upanishad
Aug 14, 2017 9:17 AM

Mar 2014
HaanFrost said:
I have finished tits 1st chapter . Very good game
Playing tits 2nd chapter . God dammit , it's so damn tough . I have progressed to 3rd chapter of 2nd game but it took me 3 months to do so x_x got stuck on my way to royal villa . Have to extreminate the monster on the road to progress but they kill me with ease . I am lvl 53 right now .

@hoopla123 help SOS T_T 😭
Find where Shining Poms spawn (use the wiki or something), build up your CP while you don't find them, when you find them just use S-crafts to kill them. Overlevel a ton.
Aug 14, 2017 5:56 PM

Apr 2011

interesting animation there xd
Aug 14, 2017 6:46 PM

Mar 2014
Aug 15, 2017 6:01 AM
Jul 2018

Okay. That makes sense.
Aug 17, 2017 9:44 PM

Jan 2017
There's a program for this game to download and play it for free.
Aug 24, 2017 10:24 PM

Apr 2011
I just finished Trails of Cold Steel today. It's really similar to Trails in the Sky first chapter:

Run around to do random shit, conveniently be where the bad guys are, collect Bracer Points for some reason (lul) to unlock items, a couple of foreshadowing here and there, explore the country and meet literally all the important people in said country all while showing us the tension between all the factions.

Then last chapter is massive plot dump with revelations and a couple of random mecha out of nowehere xD. Last chapter screams "Buy 2nd game if you want to know what just happened and what happens next !"

I found it weird that they decided to end the game right in the middle of combat
Aug 25, 2017 9:20 AM

Sep 2012
Finished it a day ago, easily the worst game in the series so far. It's concerning how they have learned nothing from making these games for years, it's literally a copypaste of the formula in Trails in the Sky: First Chapter, but worse in every way besides graphics and gameplay

Follows the same structure everytime: boring quests that you couldn't really give a damn even if you tried with one "Kill X powerful monster" necessary to advance the main story, which is the only barely interesting in the first place, filled with villains that keep "holding back" for plot's sake and not killing the main characters (or just antagonists running away because they aren't struct down when they should), not to mention building up mysteries that are never answered. For the finishing touch in the nuts, make the ending a 1 hour infodump where all the good stuff happens and left the game end on a huge cliffhanger like the Sky series (let's be honest, they literally slapped the beginning of the second game as a sequel hook for you to buy it). The twist wasn't even good either, is just extremely contrived and feels more like they wanted to "shock" the audience more than actually being a resonable explanation.

Add to all that the rest of extremely mediocre writed scenes (like the shonen speeches about friendship), generic highschool environment/atmosphere, cliche and uninteresting character archetypes ("I hate rich people hurr" "I'm the generic tsundere bimbo derp"), dumbed down "Social Links" and all the wasted potential that an Erebonian focused series could've been (military police/Intelligence division undertaking dangerous missions, similar to Valkyria Chronicles 3) and you get one huge waste of time you're better of reading spoilers off and jumping straight into the second game. I didn't particularly like a single character in Trails in the Sky besides Estelle, but damn, I would take any of them instead of these sorry excuses of a fanfiction any day.

The only thing that I can say is good about this game is the music (the gameplay, even with all the QoL improvements and additions is still passable at best), but the rest is awful, plain and simple.
GoldenSaltPillarAug 25, 2017 9:25 AM
Aug 25, 2017 9:23 AM

Jan 2013
^Man some people need to loosen up a bit, like saying you only liked Estelle in Sky means you didn't like Olivier. Now I wonder if your even a person and not just a trollbot.
Aug 25, 2017 9:41 AM

Sep 2012
Major123 said:
^Man some people need to loosen up a bit, like saying you only liked Estelle in Sky means you didn't like Olivier. Now I wonder if your even a person and not just a trollbot.

Olivier was fine in the first and second game, but his antics and manerisms got old in the 3rd and Cold Steel. His greatest moment is when he stepped up as prince of Erebonia to talk to Chloe in SC, but after that, his character stopped being all that interesting. I mean, better than Joshua "nothing personnel" Bright or Renne (which people say are good characters for some reason), that's for sure, but still not anything incredible.

And pardon me, but I like the games I invest time to be good and worth my time, I just can't close my eyes to the truth that this game could've been so much more than a mediocre combination of Persona 4 and Trails in the Sky: FC. Maybe the second game will deliver (since SC was an improvement over FC and 3rd was over SC, albeit not by much) but my current opinion of Cold Steel by this game alone is that is a complete disappointment and a colossal waste of time.
GoldenSaltPillarAug 25, 2017 9:45 AM
Aug 25, 2017 10:03 AM
Nov 2016
SH4kun said:
Major123 said:

Olivier was fine in the first and second game, but his antics and manerisms got old in the 3rd and Cold Steel. His greatest moment is when he stepped up as prince of Erebonia to talk to Chloe in SC, but after that, his character stopped being all that interesting. I mean, better than Joshua "nothing personnel" Bright or Renne (which people say are good characters for some reason), that's for sure, but still not anything incredible.

And pardon me, but I like the games I invest time to be good and worth my time, I just can't close my eyes to the truth that this game could've been so much more than a mediocre combination of Persona 4 and Trails in the Sky: FC. Maybe the second game will deliver (since SC was an improvement over FC and 3rd was over SC, albeit not by much) but my current opinion of Cold Steel by this game alone is that is a complete disappointment and a colossal waste of time.
Quite true. I got bored with the dialogues and cliche plot. The villains were terrible and lacklustre in general. Only fully interested on Sara.
Aug 25, 2017 12:52 PM

Jan 2013
SH4kun said:
Major123 said:

I think you'll like the 2nd game more, less Persona inclusions. I'm surprised you still wanna play the 2nd game after that rant.
Aug 25, 2017 1:35 PM

Sep 2012
Major123 said:
SH4kun said:

I think you'll like the 2nd game more, less Persona inclusions. I'm surprised you still wanna play the 2nd game after that rant.

Just because I didn't like a game doesn't mean I won't like the sequel and vice versa. I didn't like Witcher 1 that much but Witcher 3 is my favorite videogame. I found Saint Rows 1-2 to be very mediocre GTA clones but loved 3&4, etc.

This means even less in a series in which the first game of it's series is pretty much buildup for the next ones since Falcom pacing is generally awful.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3718 by SwordBreaker36 »»
30 minutes ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

49 by SwordBreaker36 »»
31 minutes ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - 10 hours ago

2 by SwordBreaker36 »»
32 minutes ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

50 by Dumb »»
1 hour ago

» Is 8 gb vram enough these days?

Cnon - Mar 5

20 by loligoth666 »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.