Forum Settings
Forums

Sound Having the Same Impact As Other Factors When Rating An Anime

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 10, 2016 11:57 AM
Jul 2015
I think all the people apreciate a good sound, even if they don't realize it. If you take a look over all the most famous anime between "casuals" (I'm saying this because they are suposed to be the ones who don't care about this things), like Mirai Nikki, SnK, Death note or SAO, They have at least a very competent ost and voice acting.

I think all the people who say they don't care about this simply they don't realize the importance they give to it.

Feb 10, 2016 12:02 PM

Feb 2010
It's not uncommon at all to place a lot of importance on a soundtrack. I know a lot of film buffs who are very much into soundtracks and I also know people who pick their anime based on listening to the OSTs on youtube. Music and sound are two of the things that seperate a really good movie or anime from the ones that are fine, but not outstanding.
The OST is one of the things that makes a series memorable beyond the usual scope to me. Music is responsible for the atmosphere, it's very important for emphasizing emotions and a genre like horror would barely be able to properly exist without music.
And even sound effects can be very important to a series. I value Sidonia no Kishi quite a lot because of how much work and details went into the sound effects, making the world on the Sidonia come to live in a more believable fashion than it would have otherwise.

Not to mention that OSTs are (at least for me) the best way to put myself back in the state of mind I had while watching my favorites even if it's been years since I've seen them. Many tracks are directly linked to the emotions I experienced while watching that show so going through the OST of one of my old favorites has a similar effect than rewatching the whole show for me.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 10, 2016 12:08 PM

Jul 2015
I rate this thread 7/10 "too much spice"

And yes, sound is very important. The soundtrack, the use of said soundtrack, the voice acting, sound effects...
Feb 10, 2016 2:57 PM

May 2015
kamisama751 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Good shows are good, bad shows are bad and fun things are fun? Sorry, couldn't resist. I think we're going somewhere though. We clearly operate from radically different literary theories but this is fun.

Yep, good shows are good, bad shows are bad and fun things are fun.
I also think that we are going separate all the time. XD

TheBrainintheJar said:

So what is the 'objective criteria'? Who decided them? I mean, the 'value' of a story is abstract. It does not exist physically in the world.

Objective criteria are facts, things the show has done which are logical understandable. If you separate the show in little pieces then you got them.
For example: An anime got these parts: story, plot, character, graphik, sound, …(maybe more but let’t just take those 5).
Then take graphic: art style, animation, cg, effects, …
Then take art style: character design, background design, weapon design, …
Then take background design: style, color, and so on
Of course, I am no analyzing so deep into the details in order to score it but that is how you do it (with every critera which leads to many sub criteria).

The value/quality of that something is decided by everything of the same thing. The story is judged by all other story that came out in that medium/literature. The (2d) animation is judged by all (2d) animation that came out.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Second, no, a story is DIRECTLY related to the medium. You cannot separate medium from story.

First, I told you that story is just a chain of action. Second, if you can’t separate it then tell me how adaptations done it.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Notice how anime's stories and literary stories are radically different.

I can’t find anything different there. :P

TheBrainintheJar said:

That's because you can't express KLK or Future Diary or Mushishi in a novel. The animation is a crucial part.

You can’t express them in a different medium because of the difference of the spice (explained that to you). The animation is a crucial part OF THAT MEDIUM. The story is not the animation they are separate things.
In addition, of course you can tell the same story of Mushishi or Kill la Kill in a different medium since they are just a part of that show, which is independent of it’s medium.
For example: Mushishi manga, Kill la Kill manga
Then there is something like NHK ni Yokoso. Got an anime version and manga version AND novel version. Can you express the anime version of it in a novel format? No, since novels haven’t got animation (and sound). However, you can retell the same story in a different medium.
The same goes for character and plot. They are independent to the medium since they can be retelled/represented in any medium. (Now read what I wrote about it in the above post once again. You might understand it after it.)

TheBrainintheJar said:

I'm not saying the D-Reaper is good Just Because of the design, however his appearance matters greatly.

TheBrainintheJar said:

The look of the D-Reaper is part of the content and why it's such an effective villain.

From what you have said I can only tell that you mean D-Reaper is not an effective villain if you change his design.
That is what I am working against. An effective villain has nothing to do with his design. Give him a random design of an digimon and it still works.
(Also see the last paragraph of this post.)

TheBrainintheJar said:

Digimon Tamers may have an 'ordinary' story at heart, but all the other aspects - art, characters, themes - make it one of the best anime ever.

Character is a part of the content, themes also. And the art doesn’t matter anyway. What makes a show good is it’s content.

Let’s pretend Digimon Tamers is a very good show. The story is simple. Characters and themes are good and it made Tamers good. Character and theme are part of the content. The content is good so the show is good. Who needs the animation, it is just something to make you enjoy more and enjoyment doesn’t count as a criteria.
But since animation is a part of the show it must be a part of the score right? True, but counts much less since it doesn’t add or take away that much. If you change the story into a complete garbage (a simple story is not garbage, they are just average) then the shows score will sink dramatically and it becomes just a very bad show in spite of the good characters they got (which turns into a complete waste of good characters). It won’t happen if it is the animation/sound that is bad (Perfect Blue, Haibane Renmei, … they are good despite of the trash graphik).

kamisama751 said:

About K: It got amazing visuals and very good sound but does that excuse it's quality? No, since it's script, characters and story are pure bullsh*t. Good visuals and sound can't make it any better. However, if it got good story/characters/plot, it is automatically good even without fancy visuals or nice sound.

The animation and sound don’t help if the story, character, plot are garbage. They make things a bit better with the requirement of having average/good plot/character/story in the first place.

But how do I know if a story is good? Being logical isn't enough. It's easy to write a story that will occur in real life, because real life is full of things happening that may seem impossible.

I should elaborate more on how I judge an anime. I first try to understand what is the anime's purpose, what are its ideas, what genres in functions in. Then I compare it to other works and see how it achieves its purpose. I can forgive many things, so long as the purpose is good and it knows how to get there.

But why we think a certain anime works depends on our life experience and our view of the world. Many find it bizarre that a lot of anime features teenagers in military settings (Freezing, NGE). To me it makes sense, because I joined the military a few months after finishing high school. Aikaflip doesn't mind the lack of character development in Mushishi, but he comes from a Buddhist background. That greatly affects how he perceives the show.

The D-Reaper's look is part of the content. It's the alien, cybernetic look meshed with representing a very human thought. You cannot express D-Reaper's look in writing no matter how hard you try.

Danganronpa wouldn't work as live-action, because the characters have a cartoonish look to them (Extension of their personas) that would look bad in live-action. You cannot seperate the look of the characters from the show. Their looks expresses their personality, creates the happy-go-lucky atmosphere of the show.

What makes Digimon Tamers so good is not single criteria. It's not a simple equation of story + sound + characters + art and so forth. The reason Tamers work is because it has a clear purpose and knows how to achieve it. This is the most crucial factor for judging an anime. Once I know the purpose, I decide what factors matter the most in accomplishing the purpose.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 10, 2016 3:21 PM

Jan 2015
I crave good soundtracks. I can really appreciate it when an anime has an epic score.
Feb 11, 2016 7:00 AM

May 2015
If music/character voices sound bad or unfitting, I will score lower.

This is not as big of a factor as plot/characters, but the sound does play a factor.
Feb 11, 2016 8:32 AM

May 2015
kamisama751 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

But how do I know if a story is good? Being logical isn't enough. It's easy to write a story that will occur in real life, because real life is full of things happening that may seem impossible.

I have just pointed out why the criteria for voting are objective but said nothing about that being logical automatically means good.
How do you know it is based on what you have watched so far (compare it to other works you watched/read) and what you experienced so far.
I have said if something is good or not is based on all other of it’s type, right? Yes and since no one knows everything you can only approach your scoring to the “real” score as near as you can (by watching as many shows as possible with critical thinking as requirement).

TheBrainintheJar said:

I should elaborate more on how I judge an anime. I first try to understand what is the anime's purpose, what are its ideas, what genres in functions in. Then I compare it to other works and see how it achieves its purpose. I can forgive many things, so long as the purpose is good and it knows how to get there.

Thank you for agreeing with me (see my paragraph above).
You can forgive anything if it doesn’t matter to the show. For example: The shoes are red but in the very next moment it becomes blue for no reason. Forgive it since it doesn’t matter.
However, if it matters then you should not forgive it (if you are a critic). For example: plotholes, script immunity, the setting contradicts with what is shown, …

TheBrainintheJar said:

But why we think a certain anime works depends on our life experience and our view of the world. Many find it bizarre that a lot of anime features teenagers in military settings (Freezing, NGE). To me it makes sense, because I joined the military a few months after finishing high school. Aikaflip doesn't mind the lack of character development in Mushishi, but he comes from a Buddhist background. That greatly affects how he perceives the show.

See my first paragrapgh and thank you for agreeing with me again.
However, is Aikaflip’s score for that show the “real” and 100% objective score?
He is just another person who approaches the “real” score just in another perspective.

TheBrainintheJar said:

The D-Reaper's look is part of the content. It's the alien, cybernetic look meshed with representing a very human thought.

Nope. It is the character itself that made him so which has nothing to do with it’s design.
Pointed it out many times (just read what I wrote before). If you still can’t understand then just stop this topic here. Further discussing it isn’t necessary anymore.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Danganronpa wouldn't work as live-action, because the characters have a cartoonish look to them (Extension of their personas) that would look bad in live-action.

kamisama751 said:

You can’t express them in a different medium because of the difference of the spice (explained that to you). The animation is a crucial part OF THAT MEDIUM. The story is not the animation they are separate things.
In addition, of course you can tell the same story of Mushishi or Kill la Kill in a different medium since they are just a part of that show, which is independent of it’s medium.
For example: Mushishi manga, Kill la Kill manga
Then there is something like NHK ni Yokoso. Got an anime version and manga version AND novel version. Can you express the anime version of it in a novel format? No, since novels haven’t got animation (and sound). However, you can retell the same story in a different medium.
The same goes for character and plot. They are independent to the medium since they can be retelled/represented in any medium.

Thank you for agreeing with me.

TheBrainintheJar said:

What makes Digimon Tamers so good is not single criteria.

Never said it does.

TheBrainintheJar said:

It's not a simple equation of story + sound + characters + art and so forth.

You forgot the plot and of course it is (with the plot).

TheBrainintheJar said:

The reason Tamers work is because it has a clear purpose and knows how to achieve it.

It’s purpose is a part of the story. It’s way to achieve it is part of the plot. Further approved that the statement I said above is true (and right).

TheBrainintheJar said:

This is the most crucial factor for judging an anime.

These are few of the main factors for judging an anime.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Once I know the purpose, I decide what factors matter the most in accomplishing the purpose.

You don’t decide it, the (well done) focus decides it instead.

How to do the focus (as a creator): Keep everything you want the viewer to watch outstanding and everything that you don’t care/isn’t important in your work simple, but not bad.

You talk about objectivity, but I still don't get how it works. I find it hard to imagine how objectivity works. If it exists, then I need a theory that sets out rules for what makes a story good or not. I need clear, precise rules that have zero vagueness them. I need the application of scientific method in such a way that I can easily measure a show's worth.

You need to present a serious theory, which is more than telling me that good shows are good.

The reason I don't believe objectivity exists is because fiction isn't science. It's expressive and personal. It's a product of human thought, completely abstract and isn't physical. It cannot be measured.

Since it is a product of human thought, everything in the anime is both style and content. Tamers' story, at its heart, is about saving the world. Then more layers are piled on it, like turning the villain into a standing symbol for suicide. Then, in order to emphasize this point he's given grim reaper scythes. Then he's given a cyber-look to emphasize the fact he's a digital creature. Without his look he wouldn't be so harrowing. If he looked like a human, he wouldn't be so effective. He'll come off as another psycho killer babbling.
Feb 11, 2016 8:43 AM

Jan 2016
Aria the Animation just became my favorite anime because its soundtrack exist to actually accomplish the show's themes and general lightheartedness.

Yay! for Sounds!
ethotFeb 11, 2016 9:12 AM
Feb 11, 2016 9:11 AM

Aug 2015
I do think that sound should be included when reviewing anime, since it is a part of it. Leaving it out of the review would be pretty much the same thing as leaving out animation, or plot or any other important factor that makes the anime what it is.
Feb 11, 2016 2:58 PM

May 2015
kamisama751 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

You talk about objectivity, but I still don't get how it works. I find it hard to imagine how objectivity works. If it exists, then I need a theory that sets out rules for what makes a story good or not. I need clear, precise rules that have zero vagueness them. I need the application of scientific method in such a way that I can easily measure a show's worth.

100% objectivity is something only god has. However, you can near your though more and more to pure objectivity. Nevertheless, you can never reach it.
As I said, objective are undeniable facts. When someone cut himself then he just cut himself. No one can deny it. That is for example pure objective. Plot holes are objective. Script immunity is objective.

If you ask if that tree out there is green then someone will say yes and someone else will say no since it got a bit orange. This is subjective. Then a professor of colors comes and gives you the wavelength of that color. This is objective since that color got that wavelength and no one can deny it.
How objective works? Everything undeniable is objective. If you don’t know if something is objective or not then why not try to deny it?
You need clear, precise rules that have zero vagueness?

I said, you can only near your though more and more to pure objectivity. So you can never measure the “true” worth of a show but your score can get very close to it (based on how much objective you become). Do the scores 8.001 and 8.002 actually make a difference? Yes, since they are not the same. But it doesn’t matter since they both are represented as 8.
The way you can/should measure a shows worth is simply to compare it to other works you watched. The more you watch the more objective and accurate your scores become.

TheBrainintheJar said:

You need to present a serious theory, which is more than telling me that good shows are good.

There you are: become critical and compare shows.
The theory of the worth of a show can’t be written down since no one is able to write it completely since there are always subjectivity mixed in. Becoming more objective is nothing that can be easily done from today to tomorrow. You need to learn, experience and think a lot about things you have seen.
I recommend you two youtubers who are critical and (more objective than the majority and) also explains a lot of stuff. You won’t understand their viewpoint in the beginning but will some day. I didn’t become critical just in a few days either.
https://www.youtube.com/user/bobsamurai: analyzes shows into enough details, isn’t toxic at all, tells his true feelings instead of “I am telling this in order to make the viewers happy and get more money out of youtube”
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThatAnimeSnob: a bit toxic for most people but what he says are true with tons of theory about story, characters, plot and so on and many insider things analyzed and explained

TheBrainintheJar said:

The reason I don't believe objectivity exists is because fiction isn't science. It's expressive and personal. It's a product of human thought, completely abstract and isn't physical. It cannot be measured.

What is if I tell you that science is based on fiction.
The true objectivity exists but just not inside humans and it is neither personal nor a product of human thought.
What is when I tell you that your PC won’t work when all the non-physical things are removed. Just because something isn’t physical existing doesn’t mean they are bad/unnecessary.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Everything in the anime is both style and content.

And story, character and plot are parts of the content and audio and graphic are parts of the style. Thank you for agreeing with me.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Tamers' story, at its heart, is about saving the world. Then more layers are piled on it, like turning the villain into a standing symbol for suicide. Then, in order to emphasize this point he's given grim reaper scythes. Then he's given a cyber-look to emphasize the fact he's a digital creature. Without his look he wouldn't be so harrowing. If he looked like a human, he wouldn't be so effective. He'll come off as another psycho killer babbling.

That didn’t change his personality and he still works the same as before even when he got another design.
What is if I tell you that there are too less layers to make it less simple.
kamisama751 said:

The animation and sound don’t help if the story, character, plot are garbage. They make things a bit better with the requirement of having average/good plot/character/story in the first place.

Also the answer to the paragraph above this.

Now eat a stake and chill for a day.

You keep pointing to some objectivity, but you don't explain to me what it is. You just say shows have an objective quality.

Values only exist within the humans' minds. There is no object called 'value'. Is gold valueable? Depending on what you want to do with it.

I don't have time for YouTubers, honestly. My experience with them is that they're actors. ThatAnimeSnob is a shitty critic. His review of KLK consists of "lol @ ridiculous". So far you've done pretty well. Don't insult yourself by listening to him.

Let's spin this around. Think of people you know. Does the way they speak change your perception of them? If a person speaks loud or quiet, does it say different things about them? If you see a person with really long hair, big beard and dirty clothing - wouldn't it affect how you perceive them?
Feb 12, 2016 7:55 AM

May 2015
kamisama751 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

You keep pointing to some objectivity, but you don't explain to me what it is. You just say shows have an objective quality.

kamisama751 said:

Objective are undeniable facts.

Objectivity explained.

I don’t only say a show’s quality is objective. I also explained why it is so with why it’s criteria are all objective and how you can/should judge each criteria (by comparing it to all other).
If you don’t read what I wrote properly then how should I tell you my perspective.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Values only exist within the humans' minds. There is no object called 'value'. Is gold valueable? Depending on what you want to do with it.

Value exists in everyone’s mind, not only humans.
The value is depending on what you use it? Right and we are going back to “the focus” (what I have mentioned somewhere before).
If the creator wants to focus on the animation, then he should make everything else simple and the animation outstanding. In this case, everything count a bit less to the scoring as they usually do and the value of animation rises. That’s what it means of based of how you use it.
However, simple doesn’t mean bad. If (for example) the story is bad then it stands out which means that the story got focused even it shouldn’t.
We are discussing shows in general so the “focus” is actually not really in play/we are pretending the show’s focus is standard.

TheBrainintheJar said:

I don't have time for YouTubers, honestly. My experience with them is that they're actors. ThatAnimeSnob is a shitty critic. His review of KLK consists of "lol @ ridiculous". So far you've done pretty well. Don't insult yourself by listening to him.

If you are watching for their persons and not for the content then… yeah I can’t help you anymore.
If you don’t like his reviews then watch his AnimeTruth. That is where the true content lies.
Sorry, too late. Already got insulted by him and I like his AnimeTruth videos and what do you mean by “So far you've done pretty well”.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Let's spin this around. Think of people you know. Does the way they speak change your perception of them? If a person speaks loud or quiet, does it say different things about them? If you see a person with really long hair, big beard and dirty clothing - wouldn't it affect how you perceive them?

That is only the first impression and not their full true identity. If you judge them by their look then you have done as much as giving a show a score JUST by it’s animation which is pure bullsh*t since there are more than only animation/look.
Sure, you might not want to talk to them/watch that show. However, you can never judge them just by it.

How do we 'judge objectively'? Judging is deciding the value of something. Value is subjective, since it doesn't exist out there in the real world as a physical object. Value is what we assign to something, based on our preferences and view of the world. The value of something depends more on the person who makes the judgment. That's why good reviewing isn't just consumer's advice, but connects the work to larger ideas.

How do we know what is 'the focus', though? Sure, the creators can tell us but sometimes creators misunderstand their own work. Sometimes they accidentally create something they didn't mean to, and it works in a different way. Why it works, however, depends on your worldview, your general view of fiction and so forth. Again, fiction is personal and not scientific. How we critique it reveals a lot on us.

By 'so far you've done well', I mean that I have a good time in this discussion. I don't think I understand you completely, but you clearly operate from some literary theory that's very different from mine. You're not condescending or fallacious. Rather, you keep trying to explain your views and don't fall back on cliches or emotional appeals. This is how a discussion should go.

I agree we cannot judge only by a single factor, but looks and sound affect our perception. Creators choose specific designs and sounds to affect how we view the character. Every character is an expression of something. Well-made characters also have a design and voice that emphasizes who they are. Ginko looks different not just because of that little backstory. It's because he is different in any other way.
Feb 12, 2016 7:59 AM

Nov 2015
No I don't think it's equal to art and story, but sound does play a part in whether or not I enjoy something more/less than I would otherwise. If it's an action anime, battle scene music is really important, as are the sound effects used for the weapons/attacks. In a sad anime, the type of music they use in the background is usually one of the determining factors on whether the water works start running or not lol.
Feb 12, 2016 2:21 PM

May 2015
kamisama751 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

How do we 'judge objectively'? Judging is deciding the value of something. Value is subjective, since it doesn't exist out there in the real world as a physical object. Value is what we assign to something, based on our preferences and view of the world. The value of something depends more on the person who makes the judgment.

There are many things that can be judged. Value is one of them. What we are talking here is judging the quality.
Judging the value is about “how much does this affect us/the show”. Judging the quality is “how good is it compared to others of it’s type”.
At least, the value has something to do with it’s importance. I don’t deny that.
kamisama751 said:

I said, you can only near your though more and more to pure objectivity. So you can never measure the “true” worth of a show but your score can get very close to it (based on how much objective you become). Do the scores 8.001 and 8.002 actually make a difference? Yes, since they are not the same. But it doesn’t matter since they both are represented as 8.
[h3]How to judge more objectively[/h3]
The way you can/should measure a shows worth is simply to compare it to other works you watched. The more you watch the more objective and accurate your scores become.

Well, I admit that I used the wrong word in this case. Should have used “quality” instead of “worth”. Sorry.

TheBrainintheJar said:

That's why good reviewing isn't just consumer's advice, but connects the work to larger ideas.

For me reviews are just how reviewer’s perspective of that work. From my viewpoint, reviews should contain what the reviewer analyzed out of it (which includes the things the show done right/wrong). I watch reviews for improving my perspective no matter if I agree with them or not.
There are also things a review shouldn’t include (like talking all the time how much he/she likes the show) which most people are doing wrong.

TheBrainintheJar said:

How do we know what is 'the focus', though? Sure, the creators can tell us but sometimes creators misunderstand their own work. Sometimes they accidentally create something they didn't mean to, and it works in a different way. Why it works, however, depends on your worldview, your general view of fiction and so forth. Again, fiction is personal and not scientific. How we critique it reveals a lot on us.

The focus is/are the outstanding things/criteria in the show.
If the creator isn’t able to do it right then he just f*cked it up and the focus goes berserk. No need for holding back since it is the creator’s mistake not to focus on the right thing. Nothing helps if they create something they didn’t mean to. If the focus should be the animation and the story got focused instead because of the bad script then just score the show like the focus is the story from the beginning on.

Agreed that it depends on your view. However, you can expand your view, which leads more and more to perfection (but you will never reach it). I have explained it somewhere above too (see my quote under).
kamisama751 said:

How do you know if a show is good or not is based on what you have watched so far (compare it to other works you watched/read) and what you experienced so far.
I have said if something is good or not is based on all other of it’s type, right? Yes and since no one knows everything you can only approach your scoring to the “real” score as near as you can (by watching as many shows as possible with critical thinking as requirement).

TheBrainintheJar said:

By 'so far you've done well', I mean that I have a good time in this discussion. I don't think I understand you completely, but you clearly operate from some literary theory that's very different from mine. You're not condescending or fallacious. Rather, you keep trying to explain your views and don't fall back on cliches or emotional appeals. This is how a discussion should go.

Thanks.

TheBrainintheJar said:

I agree we cannot judge only by a single factor, but looks and sound affect our perception. Creators choose specific designs and sounds to affect how we view the character. Every character is an expression of something. Well-made characters also have a design and voice that emphasizes who they are. Ginko looks different not just because of that little backstory. It's because he is different in any other way.

How someone looks/smells/voice is affect our perception. That’s why they are as important as everything else they got since you won’t even try to talk to them if they failed there. You become friend with someone because of his or her personality (with the requirement of okay looking/…). As long as you become friends you don’t really care if he/she smells a bit/looks nice or not, don’t you?
Their look got you hooked and you become friends because of their personality where their looking isn’t that affecting anymore.
The same with anime. The audio/graphic elements got you hooked then you watch it for the story/character/plot where you don’t really care if the budget for the animation drops a bit in the middle of the show.

Believe it or not, what you said about the design only applies to a little number of shows which are creative (nowadays) and from the past.
Many studios only design characters once and paste it to every show they make like A1-Pictures. There are also studios who makes every character moe just for the sake of sales instead of representing the characters themselves.
The creators aren’t creative in this case. They are just producing things that will sell. Also what sells the most now are sh*tty done shows with tons of fan service/moe which doesn’t contain much “good stuff” (in this case I mean good story/characters/…). Exceptions exists but they are just so rare that your statement about design doesn’t really apply in the most case nowadays.

What's the difference between 'quality' and 'worth'? They sound pretty interchangeable to me.

"As long as you become friends you don’t really care if he/she smells a bit/looks nice or not, don’t you?" - True, but fiction and real life aren't the same.

When I talked about 'perception', I meant that certain visual/audio cues bring to mind ideas. Fiction is artificial and its purpose is to send the right cues to make the viewer think of an idea. That's why character design voice-actors are part of the content. The creators use them to express who the characters are. Good creators choose specific tones and types of voices. Mako and Ryuko have different styles of voices for a reason. They wouldn't work so well if they switched. Ryuko's voice is too tough.
Feb 12, 2016 2:34 PM
Mar 2011
its has a huge impact for me i look for at song lyrical context first and for most when measuring music i have a degree in music and stage arts
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 12, 2016 2:37 PM

Jan 2015
Sound is the second most important thing in an anime.

The first of course being story telling.
Feb 12, 2016 11:38 PM

May 2015
kamisama751 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

What's the difference between 'quality' and 'worth'? They sound pretty interchangeable to me.

Sounds interchangeable but isn’t.
Let’s take the studios perspective as an example: They produced a show. Is this show worth? It sells, so yes. How is this shows quality? It contains nearly only fan service, so it’s quality is bad.
They profit from this show so it is worth to them. However it’s content is bad so it’s quality is bad.

TheBrainintheJar said:

"As long as you become friends you don’t really care if he/she smells a bit/looks nice or not, don’t you?" - True, but fiction and real life aren't the same.

Fiction and real life aren’t the same but it applies to both of them. It is about your first impression of something/someone which has (actually) nothing to do with fiction or reality.

TheBrainintheJar said:

When I talked about 'perception', I meant that certain visual/audio cues bring to mind ideas. Fiction is artificial and its purpose is to send the right cues to make the viewer think of an idea. That's why character design voice-actors are part of the content. The creators use them to express who the characters are. Good creators choose specific tones and types of voices. Mako and Ryuko have different styles of voices for a reason. They wouldn't work so well if they switched. Ryuko's voice is too tough.

Haven’t said that it is wrong. (Most) Shows that are coming out nowadays just works just different. (They are produced just for the sake of sells which doesn’t have much of an artistic aspect.) In other words: They (most shows coming out nowadays) don’t even try to fulfill their purpose.
Also this:
kamisama751 said:

You do not explain why fanservice is bad. You just say it is. What if the show manages to be really sexy? The characters are well-designed, the scenes are imaginative and it's sexy and fun.

No, you cannot judge fiction like you judge real life. How someone looks in real life can have a million reasons, and plenty of time they don't control it. However, in fiction, the authors are in full control. They decide who is tall, who is short, who has pink hair and who has a deep voice. So they must make these choices important.
Feb 13, 2016 2:15 AM

Jul 2014
I don't put acting in the sound category, but a good OST can have a positive affect on shows.

But at the end of the day it isn't as important as characters, plot, and animation imo but it can vary. I watch a lot of actions shows so animations can greatly enhance a scene more than a song can. But in show with minimal action scenes and complex's movements sound can be more important to set the mood whether romantic, sad, suspenseful, ect.
Feb 13, 2016 6:34 AM

May 2013
Like I always say - people have value different aspects of a piece of media differently. Those values aren't static either - they can and will change.

Sound can be just as important as the other elements of an Anime. hell, some people think it's the most important thing, while others would think it's the worst. It varies depending on the person.
Feb 13, 2016 12:50 PM

May 2015
kamisama751 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

You do not explain why fanservice is bad. You just say it is. What if the show manages to be really sexy? The characters are well-designed, the scenes are imaginative and it's sexy and fun.

kamisama751 said:

What sells the most now are sh*tty done shows with tons of fan service/moe which doesn’t contain much “good stuff” (in this case I mean good story/characters/…). Exceptions exists but they are just so rare.

Where have I said that fan service is bad?
Don’t know if you are trolling me or not. Fan service is a topic brought up numerous times where nearly everyone knows about it and it’s influence (at least critics).

Fan service is not necessary for the show to move forward. They are there to give the fans some service they want. Fan service is not only sexual, it can also be blood/gore.
However, there are also terms of how to use it and it can go wrong.
1. Overdosing: Too much fan service distracts the viewer from the show where “the focus” moves away from it’s actual target. Very disturbing and you will turn to dislike it since you got more than enough.
2. At the wrong place: Every element in a show got it’s own place for it to show up, the same with fan service. There is this situation where the characters discusses/analyzes the situation/a certain important topic and you see ass- and boob-shots all the time. What should that? It doesn’t fit at all.

There might be more but these 2 examples should be enough.

What the most shows coming out nowadays got is doing the 2 things (or more but I can’t remember any now) all the time just for the sake of sells (fan service sells and it is so in any medium).

There are even shows that are created just for satisfying the viewers desire of sex/gore. What does these shows got besides fan service (which isn’t necessary for the show to move forward)? Actually nothing since they disregard everything that is important for a show.

TheBrainintheJar said:

No, you cannot judge fiction like you judge real life. How someone looks in real life can have a million reasons, and plenty of time they don't control it. However, in fiction, the authors are in full control. They decide who is tall, who is short, who has pink hair and who has a deep voice. So they must make these choices important.

I haven’t said anything about judging fiction/real live. What I pointed out is that your first impression has nothing to do with reality and fiction and you shouldn’t judge by your first impression (even though no one can stop themselves for doing so).

I agree that the creators got full control over it. However, there isn’t really anything “creative” coming out nowadays. It is like there is a norm of “how to”/”how it should be” and everyone follows it. There are even studios who design it once and use it in every show they produce (mentioned it before).
According to your list, I can say you haven’t watched any of those “mass produced” shows. Even those you completed are the very outstanding ones.

In your previous example, you used fanservice as something that's objectively bad.

" How is this shows quality? It contains nearly only fan service, so it’s quality is bad."

But the looks and the sounds of characters aren't just first impressions. They are extensions of the character themselves. After all, why design a character in a certain way unless it has meaning? (It's sexy/pretty/expresses its attributes)? Why give a character a specific type of voice?

Keep in mind I'm talking about should be, how fiction should work to be good.
Feb 14, 2016 12:12 AM

May 2015
kamisama751 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

In your previous example, you used fanservice as something that's objectively bad.

" How is this shows quality? It contains nearly only fan service, so it’s quality is bad."

Haha, you misunderstood it. Containing fan service isn’t bad, containing nearly only fan service is bad. Why? Because it takes very much away from the show. However, the quality of the fan service itself is out of the question.

TheBrainintheJar said:

But the looks and the sounds of characters aren't just first impressions. They are extensions of the character themselves. After all, why design a character in a certain way unless it has meaning? (It's sexy/pretty/expresses its attributes)? Why give a character a specific type of voice?

Where the creators don’t care about it is merely just the first impression.
The “meanings” behind the designs are mostly really retarded to work with. Mentioned before, studios put out moe characters just for the sake of sales which has actually nothing to do with the characters themselves. Studios like A1-Pictures only design their characters once and paste it everywhere. Where is the “meaning” behind those designs please? They are using it for sales and sparing time/cut budget instead of creativity/express something meaningful.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Keep in mind I'm talking about should be, how fiction should work to be good.

Yes, it should be so but most creators don’t even give a f*ck about it so it doesn’t work (well). For the real “creative” works yes it applies. How many “crative” works are released nowadays? Just a few and before it’s design kicks in the content should be something attractive enough because of this:
kamisama751 said:

Understod. But what if fanservice is the purpose of the show? How does it 'take away from the show' if the purpose of it is fanservice, just hot characters and action scenes? What if it uses this fanservice to create really imaginative scenes?

I agree that a lot of characters put macho/moe characters for no reason, but it doesn't negate the purpose of character design. Look to Danganronpa, Future Diary and Stella's Women Academy. This is the purpose of sound and character design. When creators use them to their advantage, they help to develop ideas/characters.
Mar 27, 2016 6:20 AM

Mar 2015
Sound.. Hmm.. I rate my anime using enjoyment level. The first is the story (boring/enjoyable). And the next is sound. The most recent anime that I give high rating because of the sound factor was Sidonia no Kishi. Although it was CGI, the anime compensated it with the amazing sound effect.
This salad is salty favored
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Characters you like but everyone else hates.

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

35 by Serafos »»
1 minute ago

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - 1 hour ago

9 by LNW_R92CP »»
2 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

21 by LostSpectre »»
3 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

89 by LordSozin »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 5 hours ago

16 by jestyn »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.