Forum Settings
Forums

Should the 1990s Delinquent Main Character Type Come Back?

New
Feb 4, 2016 2:51 PM

Nov 2015
I've watched tons of Shonen and it's common to see the naive brute-strength main character who likes to eat (ALOT). Would you lile the delinquent archetype to return or other archetypez such as the stoic badass hero etc?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 4, 2016 2:56 PM

Jan 2013
SojiroThunder said:
I've watched tons of Shonen and it's common to see the naive brute-strength main character who likes to eat (ALOT). Would you lile the delinquent archetype to return or other archetypez such as the stoic badass hero etc?

Stoic Badass hero is still being done, but the delinquent is dying out.

I think it's because anime and manga are considered really impressionable and shounen jump doesn't look fondly at those types of characters anymore.

It's sad, because Yusuke Urameshi is one of my favorite anime characters. I will admit that passionate loudmouth characters are the goto personality types for shounen nowadays though.
Feb 4, 2016 2:56 PM

Nov 2008
If you mean characters like Yuusuke Urameshi, yes, I'd welcome that type back with open arms. ^_^

Feb 4, 2016 2:57 PM

May 2014
Wouldn't mind some more delinquents.
Haven't seen any great ones lately :(
Feb 4, 2016 2:58 PM

Mar 2014
God yes

No more badly written self insert beta males or overpowered Kirito clones please
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 4, 2016 3:00 PM
Sep 2007
If they are like Eikichi Onizuka, then of course.

But please, no Tomoya Okazaki-like guys, he was garbage.
Feb 4, 2016 3:03 PM

Apr 2013
I would love more characters like Mitsuhashi from Kyou kara Ore Wa.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Feb 4, 2016 3:04 PM

Feb 2013
i like anti-delinquents like Sakamoto [desu ga] :D
Feb 4, 2016 3:05 PM

Jun 2012
Psajdak said:
If they are like Eikichi Onizuka, then of course.

How about they just remake GTO and adapt the whole thing this time around without filler episodes? I would buy 3 copies of all volumes. 1 to give to the unenlightened, 1 to watch, and 1 to keep in the plastic wrap.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 4, 2016 3:05 PM

Nov 2008
Psajdak said:

You are wrong; Tomoya is hot stuff. :V

Feb 4, 2016 3:09 PM
Sep 2007
Holybaptiser said:
How about they just remake GTO and adapt the whole thing this time around without filler episodes? I would buy 3 copies of all volumes. 1 to give to the unenlightened, 1 to watch, and 1 to keep in the plastic wrap.
Well, I have already said few times that I would like to see entire series with Eikichi reanimated - that is, Shonan Junai Gumi, as well as Great Teacher Onizuka, and side story titles.

Doubt it will ever happen.

Although, I must say I liked anime ending of GTO anime, although manga story was better - especially when it comes to Miyabi.
Feb 4, 2016 3:10 PM

Jun 2012
Psajdak said:
Holybaptiser said:
Well, I have already said few times that I would like to see entire series with Eikichi reanimated - that is, Shonan Junai Gumi, as well as Great Teacher Onizuka, and side story titles.

Doubt it will ever happen.

Although, I must say I liked anime ending of GTO anime, although manga story was better - especially when it comes to Miyabi.
I wouldn't mind the current manga publishing with him ending up in jail getting an adaptation in a year or two.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 4, 2016 3:11 PM

Jul 2012
it depends on what kind of show you're going for.
Feb 4, 2016 3:12 PM

Nov 2015
Yeah, I really miss the Yuusuke-esque characters
Feb 4, 2016 3:13 PM
Sep 2007
Chiibi said:

You are wrong; Tomoya is hot stuff. :V
I like his voice actor, and he does look good - but his character was simply disgusting for me, especially how he was mistreating his friend Yohei - which can be said for girls also.

Even episodes where he was kinda shown to care for Yohei, were just made for Tomoya to look like a saint, even though he's just disgusting bully.
Feb 4, 2016 3:16 PM

Dec 2015
Such as Yuusuke or Onizuka ? HELL YES
Feb 4, 2016 3:21 PM

Mar 2011
Shounen Jump is actually searching for new delinquent type manga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kyHoiAHYGA

maybe we will get some new badass idiots, well before it gets cancelled after 20 or so chapters :P

and maaan I miss Oga Tatsumi, I wish this fucktard would just come back and wallplant some fodder.
Feb 4, 2016 3:23 PM

Jun 2013
Sure, I'm tired of the beta MC who gets all the pussy. I want alpha MC who gets all the pussy, at least that makes sense.
Feb 4, 2016 3:44 PM

Jul 2015
Please, bring it back. That would be awesome.
Feb 4, 2016 3:46 PM

Sep 2015
Not really. I'm not a fan of mean characters.

Rarity is Best Pony!
Feb 4, 2016 3:55 PM

Oct 2014
They are way better than the beta males we are getting in new anime so yes
Feb 4, 2016 4:01 PM

Apr 2015

Yes. Yes. YES. OMG YES.

I find them to be more endearing and realistic than the goody-two-shoes, "I fight against evil" type.
Feb 4, 2016 4:03 PM

Aug 2014
Question: Does Oga from Beelzebub count?
Feb 4, 2016 4:21 PM

Nov 2015
TitanAnteus said:
SojiroThunder said:

Stoic Badass hero is still being done, but the delinquent is dying out.

I think it's because anime and manga are considered really impressionable and shounen jump doesn't look fondly at those types of characters anymore.

It's sad, because Yusuke Urameshi is one of my favorite anime characters. I will admit that passionate loudmouth characters are the goto personality types for shounen nowadays though.

You like Yusuke too? My friend, you have excellent taste!
Feb 4, 2016 4:23 PM

Jan 2013
InducedPhobia said:

Yes. Yes. YES. OMG YES.

I find them to be more endearing and realistic than the goody-two-shoes, "I fight against evil" type.

You do know that most delinquent's have really strong and positive moral compasses in their shows right.

They always turn into goody-two-shows, "I fight against evil" type characters.
Feb 4, 2016 4:48 PM

Nov 2015
Comic_Sans said:
God yes

No more badly written self insert beta males or overpowered Kirito clones please

I like the way you think. There's nothing wrong with a flawed protagonist .
Feb 4, 2016 4:51 PM

Nov 2008
SojiroThunder said:
Comic_Sans said:
God yes

Kirito does have flaws but people are too busy hating him to really pay attention so they don't realize this.

Feb 4, 2016 4:57 PM

Aug 2013
Watching jojo bizarre adeventure stardust crusaders.

Jojo feel badass, although he not OP all the time, the way he handle certain situation while still maintaining his coolness.

Does this count?
Nah, i dont think sharing anime ratings in signature is cool thing.

Here, stare at this pointless signature instead.
Feb 4, 2016 5:00 PM

Mar 2014
SojiroThunder said:
Comic_Sans said:
God yes

I don't think there is anything wrong with flawed protagonists

But I don't like badly written protagonists

A lot of self insert beta males and overpowered Kirito clones happen to be badly written

Of course delinquents can be badly written too but personally I feel that badly written delinquents > badly written beta males and Kirito clones
Comic_SansFeb 4, 2016 5:06 PM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 4, 2016 5:01 PM

Sep 2014
Yea I miss the badass delinquent characters of the 90's
Smoke Weed Everyday
Feb 4, 2016 6:26 PM

Nov 2015
I don't think so.
We might have a few here and there and I'm not sure if I'm entirely correct but I think adults (parents) are worried about shounen MCs being impressionable. But I'd definitely love to see more of those guys.

Oh and BTW isn't she a badass delinquent as well?
Feb 4, 2016 6:33 PM

Mar 2015
More people like Joe Yabuki, thats what we need
Feb 4, 2016 6:41 PM

Nov 2008
4blaze2it0 said:
I don't think so.
We might have a few here and there and I'm not sure if I'm entirely correct but I think adults (parents) are worried about shounen MCs being impressionable. But I'd definitely love to see more of those guys.

Oh and BTW isn't she a badass delinquent as well?

Lol yes, Ryuuko definitely is a delinquent. I took a liking to her immediately.

Feb 4, 2016 6:41 PM

Dec 2015
As a person that has been watching anime for a decade I miss all the Beezlebub, Yusuke main characters. I'm tired of these goody-goody two shoes characters.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter as I have completely stopped watching anime that has a school setting or teen MC

Feb 4, 2016 6:43 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
NateMKII said:

You want more violent MC with criminal records who doesn't hesitate to punch an old man in the face and throw a cup of water to a girl's face in public?

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Feb 4, 2016 6:48 PM

Dec 2013
While characters such as Goku, Luffy, & Kirito are great characters, with flaws and characterization to show their humanity. Most MCs these days are cheap clones of these types of characters, they're stupid, they eat a lot, and they have hero complexes and want to save everyone from "evil". Yet, they do not have flaws or personalities that make them human or relatable. Most of them are whiny and unbearable to watch, and the few that are not are too overpowered to face any real difficulties. I have seen some whiny characters written well enough that I enjoyed them, I've even some of the overpowered types that never face any real difficulties that I enjoyed. But they are too common and misused these days and it ruins the type. I would love to see more of the Yuusuke Uremeshi type MCs, or even going back a little further in time- the Amuro Ray or Char Aznable types. But, people see how much characters like the Goku's, Luffy's, and Kirito's are liked and want to copy them.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Feb 4, 2016 6:49 PM

Nov 2013
yeah, I want them more. The ones that popped up in my mind from 2000's are Harima Kenji (school rumble) and Seiji (midori days), and they're really funny. The most recent one, maybe Oga from Beelzebub.

were there a lot of them in 90's?
Feb 4, 2016 6:50 PM

Nov 2008
The_Bif said:
Most MCs these days are cheap clones of these types of characters, they're stupid, they eat a lot, and they have hero complexes and want to save everyone from "evil".

I like the short-tempered type who are also SMART. Like Edward Elric. I'd love to see more guys like him.

were there a lot of them in 90's?

Yup. XD 90s was pretty badass.

Feb 4, 2016 6:59 PM

May 2015
Only if they're well-written. I wouldn't mind if more "Kid that wants to help everyone" characters show up as long as I like them such as Ushio from Ushio to Tora, but most dying character archetypes are more entertaining then the ones now.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Feb 4, 2016 7:02 PM

Jan 2011
Josuke will soon make everything greato.
Feb 4, 2016 7:07 PM

Apr 2013
Fuck GTO remake, fuck everything.

What we need is a Crows + Worst anime adaption. The epitome of delinquent manga.
Feb 4, 2016 7:09 PM

Mar 2015
RayAdha said:
NateMKII said:

You want more violent MC with criminal records who doesn't hesitate to punch an old man in the face and throw a cup of water to a girl's face in public?

That's not all that Joe is. He has more too him, that's why he's so great.
Feb 5, 2016 7:17 AM

Nov 2015
Itadakimasuuuu said:
Yeah, I really miss the Yuusuke-esque characters

Some examples

Hanamichi (Slam Dunk)
Oga (Beelzebub)
Yusuke (YYH)
Momotaro Tsurugi (Otokujuku)
Feb 5, 2016 7:19 AM

Dec 2012
Only if they are voiced by Takagi, Wataru
Feb 5, 2016 7:22 AM

Nov 2015
ReaperCreeper said:
Josuke will soon make everything greato.

Josuke is awesome. I like how he has some of his father's traits because Joesph is one of the few Shonen protagonist who is s skilled tactician rather than a full-power brute
Feb 5, 2016 7:23 AM

Nov 2015
RainyRai said:
Only if they're well-written. I wouldn't mind if more "Kid that wants to help everyone" characters show up as long as I like them such as Ushio from Ushio to Tora, but most dying character archetypes are more entertaining then the ones now.

A good example of that type of character is Izuku from My Hero Academia
Feb 5, 2016 7:26 AM

Nov 2015
iwansquall said:
Watching jojo bizarre adeventure stardust crusaders.

Jojo feel badass, although he not OP all the time, the way he handle certain situation while still maintaining his coolness.

Does this count?

Jotaro has some shades of Kenshiro so he's a stoic badass.
Jojo part 4 has Josuke who has that delinquent feel same goes for Gio.
Feb 5, 2016 7:27 AM

Jun 2015
I'd prefer less archetypes overall, regardless of their era.
Feb 5, 2016 7:27 AM

Nov 2015
LostHighway said:
Shounen Jump is actually searching for new delinquent type manga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kyHoiAHYGA

maybe we will get some new badass idiots, well before it gets cancelled after 20 or so chapters :P

and maaan I miss Oga Tatsumi, I wish this fucktard would just come back and wallplant some fodder.

Baki the Grappler is great too. Even though it's not from Jump
Feb 5, 2016 7:29 AM

Apr 2013
Comic_Sans said:
God yes

So you want badly written self insert alpha males instead?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform? ( 1 2 )

Dije - Apr 16

52 by LoveLikeBlood »»
28 seconds ago

Poll: » How important is the art style for you

nishant0 - Apr 11

35 by r3v3l3v3l »»
54 seconds ago

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

17 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

224 by LoveLikeBlood »»
3 minutes ago

» Can Anime Elves Become Overweight ?

tchitchouan - 5 minutes ago

0 by tchitchouan »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.