Forum Settings
Forums

Anime in which you were more interested in the world rather than the story itself

New
Feb 4, 2016 1:36 AM
Jul 2018
So any anime in which you were more interested in the world/setting and hardly cared abt the story?
For me it should be pokemon. :P
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 4, 2016 2:03 AM

Jan 2014
Yup, definitely pokemon lot of insanely powerful monster. Not to mention ghost pokemon that use to be human and other use soul to fuel his fire and more creepier story to tell in the pokedex, goddamn what a creepy world that is ( yet interesting ). Which make it logical that a 10 year old child to have his own monsters to enslaved since they survive hurdles in their world.

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓰𝓪𝓰𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰

Feb 4, 2016 2:47 AM

Mar 2015
most of "issekai" or "trapped in game" or "fantasy" that the story and comedy not really pick me up. reason why still watch many harem until know. most of it world building is really unique and imaginative.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 4, 2016 2:49 AM

Sep 2015
Shinsekai yori for me. Never could get invested in the story nor the characters for that matter.
Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier
Feb 4, 2016 2:50 AM
Aug 2014
No game no life fits this for me
Not that the story is bad, the world is just very cool and original
Feb 4, 2016 2:51 AM

Jul 2014
Toaru Majutsu no Index. The magic/science thing was cool but it felt so wasted in the anime, except for a few arcs (namely Sisters and Academy City Invasion).

well I later found out how awesome the story became in the light novel.
Feb 4, 2016 2:52 AM

Jun 2015
Mahouka.

The world-building is glorious, and while the story itself is rather weak, the concepts introduced in the Mahouka universe are really interesting. and the girls
Feb 4, 2016 3:07 AM

Jul 2013
The world of Pokemon has a lot of interesting things about it and the Pokedex entries only comprises half of it.
Feb 4, 2016 3:08 AM

Jul 2013
Pokemon, definetely. I want to know especially about the creation of the Pokemon's World and, call me crazy, but a Pokemonesque documentary a la National Geographic would be cool.
Feb 4, 2016 3:15 AM
Jan 2016
Attack on Titan: No Regrets. Unlike the parent story, this anime has a pretty weak story, but I would be lying if I say I am not interested in the underground city. I want to know the society works there, how they ended up there, etc.

The Pilot's Love Song. The story is pretty much a cheesy love story of adolescents, but the setting is very engaging & intriguing. Floating island, flying battleships just like in Last Exile, & with a bit of magic. I'd love to go back to that world even if I have to get through the cheesy love story.

GARO. The story is very, very inconsistent in term of quality, but the dark portrayal of medieval fantasy setting is not something that many anime have. It's bleak yet charming in its own way.
Feb 4, 2016 3:19 AM

Dec 2015
Sword Art Online - i love the story, but world is what got me the most :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jul 2013
Illyricus said:
Pokemon, definetely. I want to know especially about the creation of the Pokemon's World and, call me crazy, but a Pokemonesque documentary a la National Geographic would be cool.

Arceus created it but then again who created Arceus?
Jun 2015
Obviously Pokemon. I want to be in that world, but I'm not interested in Brock mistaking everything Japanese for Jelly filled donuts.
Feb 4, 2016 3:21 AM

Jul 2013
Tenshi_Shura said:
Illyricus said:

Arceus created it but then again who created Arceus?
Yeah, I know that, but I want to see an animation of Arceus creating the world.

So far, I heard that Arceus born from an egg who was in the void. Is just like the Bible's version of God.
Feb 4, 2016 3:34 AM
Jul 2018
Tel3 said:
Mahouka.

The world-building is glorious, and while the story itself is rather weak, the concepts introduced in the Mahouka universe are really interesting. and the girls

Dunno abt the world-building, but definitely for the grills. XD
Feb 4, 2016 4:00 AM

Jul 2014
In my experience, the plot is hardly the strong point of an anime series. Characters and world building are usually the factors that make a series recognizable and memorable. So, it's pretty common.
Feb 4, 2016 4:05 AM

Dec 2015
I'm not really interested in the plot for anime to begin with. I'm already more interested in the characters and world they're in.
Feb 4, 2016 4:08 AM

Apr 2014
vikki7783 said:
Toaru Majutsu no Index. The magic/science thing was cool but it felt so wasted in the anime, except for a few arcs (namely Sisters and Academy City Invasion).

well I later found out how awesome the story became in the light novel.

Exactly this. I actually hated the anime versions (excluding the sisters arc, of course), but the world always fascinated me. That was what led me to read the epicness that is the light novel series.
Feb 4, 2016 4:37 AM

Jun 2014
The fate series. I really love the fate world and find it extremely interesting, I like the story and plot too, but for me the world the characters live in is definitely my favourite part of it.
Feb 4, 2016 4:52 AM
Jul 2018
Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis one of the best world building I've ever seen.

I actually enjoyed the world more than the story.
Feb 4, 2016 4:55 AM

Jun 2013
SAO
Mahouka
No Game No Life
Pokemon
Fate-series

Also:
Log Horizon (I cared about the story too though)
Feb 4, 2016 5:02 AM

Apr 2015
Tokyo ghoul comes to mind. Interesting world yet there isn't really a clear story
Feb 4, 2016 5:04 AM

Nov 2015
Shinsekai.
As much as I loved it's story, I'd really like to know how humanity and the human society evolved to become what it was..
Feb 4, 2016 5:06 AM

Mar 2015
Shinshekai Yori..the dystopian setting always draws me in more than the characters in it.Never read the manga though.
Feb 4, 2016 5:06 AM

Jul 2015
Sao : the setting make that anime so enjoyable
Feb 4, 2016 5:17 AM

Sep 2014
Attack on Titan, Shinseki Yori, Tokyo Ghoul, Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka, Sword Art Online, Overlord, Texhnolyze, Berserk.

Some of them I eventually came to enjoy the story and characters though.
Feb 4, 2016 5:20 AM

Sep 2015
Any trapped-in-a-game series. I believe they require a ton of world-building and exposition; the more this is pulled off the more I'll enjoy them.
The same could be said of any fantasy worlds, albeit to a lesser degree. If the anime introduces a new world or land, I'll want that to be fleshed out and developed in order for me to feel more immersed in what's happening.

One of the reasons I enjoyed Log Horizon so much was because they spend a hell of a lot of time explaining everything, from the politics to the economy to the way the battle system worked. Hell, even the food got attention. It was really easy to feel immersed and a part of the world when there's so much attention to detail.

Maybe not quite what the OP was asking, but any Shaft series tends to get me looking at the backgrounds a lot of the time, rather than focusing on what's being said or what's going on between the characters currently on screen. They're always so funky.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 4, 2016 5:24 AM

Jun 2013
I guess SAO(Aincrad arc) they had some pretty good world ideas in it. And Sunday Without God the setting of that world was really cool and interesting but they only scratched the surface and didn't explain much
SymqnFeb 4, 2016 5:30 AM
Feb 4, 2016 5:28 AM

Nov 2011
SAO, VRMMORPG is the shit. They need to stop focusing on Kirito and just pretty much focus on anyone else but him.

Feb 4, 2016 5:28 AM
Aug 2014
Tel3 said:
Mahouka.

Okay so i have a question about this. When i was watching mahouka, i was confused on how much time and exposition they spent on explaining how the magic in it works.
But to me it always seemed absolutely goofy and unintentionally funny.
Kinda like a explanation in star trek it just sounded like gibberish "the flux compensator creates a anti gravitanional hyperdrive that alters the tine continuum in a crossdimenional blablabla"
Then when i read the episode discussion threads the people who read the light novel were always shaming the anime for its poor representation of how the magic works.
Is the world in mahouka really that interesting? To me it appeared more like a "this works because overpowered main character wants it to"

I really like magic-systems that go into detail and make sense within their own rules, like for example the force in star wars.
Should i read the light novels?
Feb 4, 2016 5:38 AM

Jun 2015
Well, I can only think of pokemon and digimon tbh.

I need to be interested in the whole thing to actually watch it. Well, mot of the times.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Feb 4, 2016 5:44 AM

Jul 2014
Definitely Pokemon, well, i dont think i need to explain this.
Highschool DxD, I'm interested in the myth from all over the place rather than the story itself.
Feb 4, 2016 5:47 AM

Jun 2015
Kill la Kill. It's not that it's story is bad, but the world building is without a doubt its main selling point.
Feb 4, 2016 5:51 AM

Apr 2014
pokemon indeed and since pokemon was being unknown species why human scientist always limited knowledge with amount of certainly mumber and how pokedex recognize alive pokemon including how could it confirm data about legendary pokemon in the first place the F!!! anyway the logic wasn't even make sense it's almost like pokedex was actually Artificial Intelligence a superior technology.

ps.obviously manga and anime all region in one world.
Feb 4, 2016 5:57 AM

Jan 2015
Feb 4, 2016 9:19 AM

Feb 2011
One Piece and Gintama. Lol I want to live there.
Feb 4, 2016 9:22 AM

Dec 2015
Pretty much everything since I don't give two hoots about story.
Feb 4, 2016 9:23 AM

Jan 2016
The various game "worlds" of the two Sword Art Online shows.

Too bad, the world building on that show is atrocious.

Though, Log Horizon gave me that game "world" fix I need months after...

(Thanks for nothing, SAO!)
Feb 4, 2016 9:27 AM
Jul 2018
The plot is very weak, but the world in Tower of Druaga dragged me in almost immediately. I have a thing for these enormous dungeons. The one in Persona 3 is pretty cool too.
Feb 4, 2016 9:45 AM

Jan 2016
Pokemon is the only one for me I guess. The setting is just so wide.
Feb 4, 2016 1:09 PM

Jan 2014
None. The world and setting is inextricably attached to the story.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 4, 2016 1:10 PM

Jul 2012
Tokyo Ravens. I was more interested in the architecture than anything else.

Also Hai to Gengar from this season. Way too busy staring at the watercolour bgs.
Feb 4, 2016 1:22 PM

Mar 2014
SAO. Preferably from the first season. The story itself was mediocre, but the world itself was pretty cool.
Feb 4, 2016 1:28 PM

Sep 2015
I super loved the Bleach universe (pre-Fullbringer) and even RPed in that universe for a long time. The story however went pretty downhill after the end of the Aizen arc which made me super sad.

Also in a lot of big Shonen (One Piece, Naruto, YuYU Hakusho, etc) I find the characters, especially protag, to be kind of cookie cutter and a little bland. But their universes always seem amazing to me. Given, that's all just my opinion.
Feb 4, 2016 1:55 PM

Jan 2014
Naruto I'd say. I love Ninja but not Naruto...
Feb 4, 2016 2:24 PM

Jan 2016
Definitely Pokemon and Digimon. I didn't cared about Ash or the digi destined too much but I wanted to see the monsters and their world.
Feb 4, 2016 3:21 PM

May 2014
Pretty much every Ghibli movie. FLCL, NGE as well. I only stuck with Evangelion to learn more about the angels and their origin, if that counts?

Naruto, without a doubt. I can't think of an arc I genuinely loved, but yeah, the world itself had a lot of potential. :c

A lot of people have already named the rest of my top ones though.

Guess there's always Fairy Tail, even though the world itself is standard fantasyland-with-magic.
Feb 4, 2016 3:53 PM

Oct 2012
vikki7783 said:
Toaru Majutsu no Index. The magic/science thing was cool but it felt so wasted in the anime, except for a few arcs.

Definitely this. It has so much potential.
Feb 4, 2016 4:10 PM
Jan 2016
I greatly enjoy Fairy Tail's characters for what they are but man..the world is just so cool to me. It has a really interesting mix of magic with technology that I just like.
Feb 4, 2016 4:56 PM
Jan 2016
RedRoseFring said:
None. The world and setting is inextricably attached to the story.

Not always. I am sure you will see how both of them are two separate things overtime.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

44 by RioAl »»
7 minutes ago

» Your top 5 anime couples

Anjumhossain - Dec 12, 2022

39 by billybub »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

94 by Timeline_man »»
17 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

41 by Adverrito »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

39 by weebtoge »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.