Forum Settings
Forums
New
What kind of mystery do you prefer?
Jan 31, 2016 7:47 PM
Jan 2016
I just finished Rokka, while I enjoyed the overall experience, I did not like the mystery aspect. Because it's a clueless mystery type & it's solved in a very convenient way, but some people liked that kind of clueless mystery(even though some of the fans somehow believe it's a fair play mystery). What about you? Do you like clueless mystery in anime? If so, why? I am curious to know why people like it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 31, 2016 8:13 PM

Sep 2015
I don't have a particular favourite, but something that I dislike and a lot of "Clueless Mysteries" tend to do is that you almost never feel satisfied with the results.
-Senpai-Jan 31, 2016 8:19 PM
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Jan 31, 2016 8:15 PM
Jan 2016
-CallMeSenpai- said:
Wrong board, mate.

What do you mean? Which board then? Series Discussion?
Jan 31, 2016 8:18 PM

Sep 2015
TheServant said:
-CallMeSenpai- said:
Wrong board, mate.

What do you mean? Which board then? Series Discussion?
Yup...wait no, I think you're right, sorry for the inconvinience buddy.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Jan 31, 2016 8:27 PM

Jul 2014
When you say "fair play" are you talking about a mystery that the viewer can solve on their own using the same information that the characters have?
Jan 31, 2016 9:21 PM
Jan 2016
-CallMeSenpai- said:
I don't have a particular favourite, but something that I dislike and a lot of "Clueless Mysteries" tend to do is that you almost never feel satisfied with the results.

Yeah. I never found an enjoyment out of clueless mystery. The feeling of analyzing the mystery ourselves & ends up being right is always satisfying. And even if we're wrong, we could appreciate the protagonist more by how he could solve the mystery with the same information we had.

ibear said:
When you say "fair play" are you talking about a mystery that the viewer can solve on their own using the same information that the characters have?

Exactly. So, which one do you prefer?
Jan 31, 2016 9:36 PM

Nov 2012
Clues are essential to mysteries. If you don't have clues, then you won't have a good mystery to end with.
ShigureJan 31, 2016 9:39 PM
Jan 31, 2016 10:00 PM
Jan 2016
Shigure said:
Clues are essential to mysteries. If you don't have clues, then you won't have a good mystery to end with.

What if the anime tricked you? The anime gave you some clues & you're convinced that it's a fair play, but suddenly in the end revealed itself as a clueless mystery. And that's exactly what happened with Rokka.
Jan 31, 2016 10:19 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
No such thing as a "clueless mystery". If you missed the clues or were mislead by a red herring that's another thing.
Jan 31, 2016 10:30 PM
Jan 2016
BatoKusanagi said:
No such thing as a "clueless mystery". If you missed the clues or were mislead by a red herring that's another thing.

There's --> http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CluelessMystery And it's not that rare. The thing is, not many people know how to differentiate between the fair play one & the clueless one. Or they're trying to convince themselves that the clueless mystery anime are fair play, just like Rokka.
Jan 31, 2016 11:01 PM

Nov 2009
TheServant said:
Or they're trying to convince themselves that the clueless mystery anime are fair play, just like Rokka.

Personally, I think Rokka is a fair play mystery. At least in its "how it was done" aspect.
As for finding the culprit, the viewers are presented with the clue at the same time as the MC, so it's still fair play.

P.S. Also, your vote lacks the "I don't care, I don't try to solve the mystery myself" option.
Jan 31, 2016 11:13 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
TheServant said:

There's --> http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CluelessMystery And it's not that rare. The thing is, not many people know how to differentiate between the fair play one & the clueless one. Or they're trying to convince themselves that the clueless mystery anime are fair play, just like Rokka.

Well, if TvTropes has a page for it, it's obviously fact. Silly me...
Jan 31, 2016 11:23 PM
Jan 2016
flannan said:
Personally, I think Rokka is a fair play mystery. At least in its "how it was done" aspect.
As for finding the culprit, the viewers are presented with the clue at the same time as the MC, so it's still fair play.

P.S. Also, your vote lacks the "I don't care, I don't try to solve the mystery myself" option.

Like I said, Rokka did give us some clues, but most of them were red herrings. Rokka's pretty clever in the way it deceived some viewers to think it's a fair play. And the "how it's done" aspect was pretty weak as well.
So, yeah.
Finding the culprit thing was a fair play, but it's too convenient.

I do not think that's necessary. You still can appreciate fair play mystery even if you're not trying to solve it. At least that's how I feel.
AServantJan 31, 2016 11:27 PM
Jan 31, 2016 11:23 PM

Jun 2015
Fair Play all the way. I really enjoyed Danganronpa (the game) in this aspect: you have A LOT of clues to try to solve everything yourself.
Jan 31, 2016 11:26 PM
Jan 2016
BatoKusanagi said:
Well, if TvTropes has a page for it, it's obviously fact. Silly me...

You probably just do not notice the difference. I am sure you will understand the difference eventually.

Tel3 said:
Fair Play all the way. I really enjoyed Danganronpa (the game) in this aspect: you have A LOT of clues to try to solve everything yourself.

What about the anime? Is it fair play?
Jan 31, 2016 11:26 PM

Jan 2014
I don't really understand? can you give example of both from my list?
I didn't know rokka
Jan 31, 2016 11:29 PM

Jun 2015
TheServant said:

Tel3 said:

What about the anime? Is it fair play?

I haven't watched the anime, but AFAIK it was really cropped. I can't say anything.

The game sometimes qualifies as Clueless Mystery though (some cases are made intentionally clueless, and some cases are not entirely solvable before the class trial).
Jan 31, 2016 11:39 PM
Jan 2016
HiatusXHiatus said:
I didn't know rokka

Sure. For fair play mystery, it's Hyouka. As for clueless mystery, I am not so sure. I want to say Eden of the East, but it's been too long since the last time I watched it to remember. Sorry.
Jan 31, 2016 11:48 PM

Jan 2014
TheServant said:
HiatusXHiatus said:
I didn't know rokka

Sure. For fair play mystery, it's Hyouka. As for clueless mystery, I am not so sure. I want to say Eden of the East, but it's been too long since the last time I watched it to remember. Sorry.

Thanks, then I choose for clueless mistery, I love being confused, I think typical fair play are too common like Conan.
Jan 31, 2016 11:56 PM

Nov 2009
TheServant said:
flannan said:

Like I said, Rokka did give us some clues, but most of them were red herrings. Rokka's pretty clever in the way it deceived some viewers to think it's a fair play. And the "how it's done" aspect was pretty weak as well.
So, yeah.
Finding the culprit thing was a fair play, but it's too convenient.

TheServant said:

I do not think that's necessary. You still can appreciate fair play mystery even if you're not trying to solve it. At least that's how I feel.

No, when just watching a detective solve the mystery, you may not even know if the mystery was, in fact, a fair play one.
Feb 1, 2016 12:02 AM

Sep 2015
One of the things I liked about rokka was that despite the lack of external clues (physical objects and such), there were still lots of clues in the character's behaviour and actions. So that at least contributed to the "finding the 7th mystery". As for all the convient clues, I found them fine since they made sense in that world and the characters' knowledge of certain things also helped with this. I think Rokka is actually both types with the 7th Brave being the fair play and the trapped in fog thing being the clueless type. I can't say which one prefer though cause I never knew there was a difference, but I guess fair play. The only other clueless anime I've watched was The Perfect Insider and that was predictable as hell.
amk_2397Feb 1, 2016 12:46 AM
Feb 1, 2016 12:38 AM
Jan 2016
HiatusXHiatus said:
Thanks, then I choose for clueless mistery, I love being confused, I think typical fair play are too common like Conan.

Conan is a fair play mystery? I thought it's more of a clueless one. Because as far as I remember, Conan would usually have one key clue that only be revealed when he solves it at the end. Though I might be mistaken since it was very, very long time ago.

flannan said:

amk_2397 said:
One of the things I liked about rokka was that despite the lack of external clues (physical objects and such), there were still lots of clues in the character's behaviour and actions. So that at least contributed to the "finding the 7th mystery". As for all the convient clues, I found them fine since they made sense in that world and the characters' knowledge of certain things also helped with this. I think Rokka is actually both types with the 7th Brave being the fair play and the trapped in fog thing being the clueless type. I can't say which one prefer though cause I never knew there was a difference, but I guess fair play. The only other clueless anime I've watched was The Perfect Insider and that was predictable as hell.

Those were not clues, they were red herrings. It's different.
You are fine with convenient clues, but they're nevertheless plot conveniences.
The Perfect Insider was clueless mystery? I did not notice that. Which part exactly?
Feb 1, 2016 12:38 AM

Jul 2012
I only like the ones where it wasn't just an asspull at the end, and actually had foreshadowing so you'd react like "Oooh... That's why they did this and that." at the beginning.
Feb 1, 2016 12:40 AM
Jan 2016
Mayuka said:
I only like the ones where it wasn't just an asspull at the end, and actually had foreshadowing so you'd react like "Oooh... That's why they did this and that." at the beginning.

Then you like fair play mystery. Because that's more or less what it is.
Feb 1, 2016 12:45 AM

May 2015
I'm not really into the whole puzzle aspect of mysteries. It seems boring to watch someone create a game, play it and having no option to play it myself. I prefer mysteries that rely a lot on characters and odd situations, like Danganronpa.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 1, 2016 12:53 AM

Nov 2009
Rokka no Yuusha anime (novel volume 1) spoilers.
TheServant said:

Feb 1, 2016 1:03 AM

Aug 2013
I'm always under assumption that most viewers don't care so much about the mystery than focusing at the characters being so awesome at solving it. If not, we wouldn't have series like that Sakurako bones last season or currently airing Haruchika.
Feb 1, 2016 1:08 AM
Jan 2016
flannan said:

TheBrainintheJar said:
I'm not really into the whole puzzle aspect of mysteries. It seems boring to watch someone create a game, play it and having no option to play it myself. I prefer mysteries that rely a lot on characters and odd situations, like Danganronpa.

I see. That makes sense. Then you like Game of Laplace too?

Amiluhur said:
I'm always under assumption that most viewers don't care so much about the mystery than focusing at the characters being so awesome at solving it. If not, we wouldn't have series like that Sakurako bones last season or currently airing Haruchika.

I see, but wouldn't it be more awesome if we & the protagonist have the same clues yet because of how different the protagonist's train of thought or point of view is he can solve the mystery while we can't?
AServantFeb 1, 2016 1:13 AM
Feb 1, 2016 1:13 AM

Sep 2015
TheServant said:
HiatusXHiatus said:

Conan is a fair play mystery? I thought it's more of a clueless one. Because as far as I remember, Conan would usually have one key clue that only be revealed when he solves it at the end. Though I might be mistaken since it was very, very long time ago.

flannan said:

amk_2397 said:

Those were not clues, they were red herrings. It's different.
You are fine with convenient clues, but they're nevertheless plot conveniences.
The Perfect Insider was clueless mystery? I did not notice that. Which part exactly?

Ok yeah with most of the characters they are red herrings. One character's behaviour and actions though are clues to things that happen in the LN later on, which you wouldn't really know about unless you read the LNs so take that information however you see fit. And I'm fine with the plot convenience because it never came off like they just pulled it out of their ass. Like with the tablets, Hans is a smart character so it wouldn't seem odd that he would think to look for these tablets. Same thing with Adlet assuming the activation method was false. In this type of mystery he would have to think about every possible situation. Are these plot conveniences? Yes, but they're not as bad as to plot conveniences in something like Ranpo Kitan.

As for the Perfect Insider, I'm probably wrong about that I think. I just remember the mystery being bogged down by discussions of death and stuff so my memory is a bit fuzzy from the show.
Feb 1, 2016 1:15 AM

Nov 2009
TheServant said:

Feb 1, 2016 1:19 AM

Sep 2015
[quote=TheServant message=44521794]
flannan said:

She was mentioned in the anime in episode 2.
Feb 1, 2016 1:22 AM

Jan 2012
Fair mystery by far. With a clueless mystery it just feels like the author didn't put any effort into what he wrote and was INCAPABLE of writing a plot intricate enough to allow for the use of clues to be incorporated into the story instead of throwing the answer into your face without any explanation. And just leaving the audience with gaping mouths.

There unfortunately isn't a lot of mediums that do Fair mystery well , and that is quite sad because it happens to be one of the genre's I prefer the most.
PantsuPillowFeb 1, 2016 2:52 AM
Feb 1, 2016 1:25 AM
Jan 2016
amk_2397 said:
Ok yeah with most of the characters they are red herrings. One character's behaviour and actions though are clues to things that happen in the LN later on, which you wouldn't really know about unless you read the LNs so take that information however you see fit. And I'm fine with the plot convenience because it never came off like they just pulled it out of their ass. Like with the tablets, Hans is a smart character so it wouldn't seem odd that he would think to look for these tablets. Same thing with Adlet assuming the activation method was false. In this type of mystery he would have to think about every possible situation. Are these plot conveniences? Yes, but they're not as bad as to plot conveniences in something like Ranpo Kitan.

As for the Perfect Insider, I'm probably wrong about that I think. I just remember the mystery being bogged down by discussions of death and stuff so my memory is a bit fuzzy from the show.

Yeah, Ranpo Kitan is the perfect case of clueless mystery, but that does not mean Rokka's was not clueless. It's just that Rokka's was much less clueless than Ranpo Kitan.

Ah, yes. The philosophical talk in Perfect Insider was really confusing & probably unimportant to the plot. I did not like it either.

PantsuPillow said:
Fair mystery by far. With a clueless mystery it just feels like the author didn't put any effort into what he wrote and was INCAPABLE of wring a plot intricate enough to allow for the use of clues to be incorporated into the story instead of throwing the answer into your face without any explanation. And just leaving the audience with gaping mouths.

There unfortunately isn't a lot of mediums that do Fair mystery well , and that is quite sad because it happens to be one of the genre's I prefer the most.

Maybe it is indeed too hard to make a fair play mystery in a narrative. I mean, I can (kind of) imagine how many things have to be carefully considered to make sense of everything.
Feb 1, 2016 1:26 AM

Apr 2014
i prefer Fair play mystery over clueless like conan.
Feb 1, 2016 1:28 AM
Jan 2016
amk_2397 said:

The Sun Saint was mentioned, but not her power.

neolucaman said:

I knew it. Conan is a clueless mystery. Thank you for confirming that.
Feb 1, 2016 1:39 AM

Apr 2014
TheServant said:

neolucaman said:

I knew it. Conan is a clueless mystery. Thank you for confirming that.

i do not like the case using 'dying message' that playing which word or long sentence cause it need japanese knowledge i mostly unimpressive with that case and when ever conan found final clue normally it intend not to show decisive evidence to reader uhhh.
Feb 1, 2016 8:05 AM
Jan 2016
neolucaman said:
i do not like the case using 'dying message' that playing which word or long sentence cause it need japanese knowledge i mostly unimpressive with that case and when ever conan found final clue normally it intend not to show decisive evidence to reader uhhh.

I just read regarding Conan's mystery, it seems that the manga actually leaning more towards fair play mystery, but somehow the anime changed everything into clueless mystery. It's very surprising & unfortunate.
Feb 1, 2016 3:15 PM

Mar 2015
If I had to choose, fair play. However I'm fine with both if they're done well enough.
What I don't like is when is when a show pretends to be type B when it's actually type A! (looking at you, Rokka!)

I liked Hyouka as a fair play mystery and I also liked Rampo Kitan as a clueless mystery.
Feb 1, 2016 3:18 PM

Jan 2015
Well the problem that Rokka had was that it took 4 episodes to start the mystery and 8 episodes to finish it. If it was 2&4 respectively I'm sure it would've had a better reception.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Feb 1, 2016 3:23 PM

Mar 2015
bobzanny said:
Well the problem that Rokka had was that it took 4 episodes to start the mystery and 8 episodes to finish it. If it was 2&4 respectively I'm sure it would've had a better reception.

Spoilers for those that haven't watched Rokka no Yuusha below:
Feb 1, 2016 3:24 PM

Sep 2015
I tend to dislike clueless mystery. It just feels like the MC pulls the answer out of their ass.
If you look at Gosick, some of the mysteries which were presented had their resolutions being foreshadowed; subtle hints were dropped which would get you thinking about what the answer would be.
On the other hand, a lot of the time it also felt like Victorique (the MC) had 0 reason for knowing what she knew and simply pulled the answer out of thin air. I found those mystery arcs to be substantially less enjoyable due to this.

I also think that 'fair play' mystery is better written, because it shows that the author was clever enough to weave the story in a way where you can be given all the required information but still not be able to figure the answer out right away. If the answer is being foreshadowed and hinted it, it gets you more immersed in what's happening; there's actually a point in getting yourself thinking about what the answer could be because there's a possibility of figuring it out.
There's no reason to try and guess the answer in a clueless mystery because all you have to do is sit and wait and the MC will shit out some garbage at the end.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 1, 2016 3:27 PM

Aug 2013
The whole point of a mystery story is that it should be engaging and stimulating to the viewer/reader, so of course I prefer the stories that I can actually attempt to analyze and solve on my own. I think those stories are just better in general, because it actually requires the author to put some effort into cleverly scattering various clues and connections, rather than just making it unsolvable and rely on arbitrary plot devices and the 'secret' clues that only the character(s) know. I don't want to be a passive spectator, just being there for the ride. I want to partake in it. Not establishing clues and leads in the story means that the author can pull off any kind of bullshit, because they're not restricting themselves by the story's facts, so the clueless mystery stories are oftentimes way inferior than the fair ones in terms of writing. The writers need to restrict themselves by establishing facts and state of affairs and play by them. It makes sense that the less talented writers would chose the style that requires the least skill.
MoogFeb 1, 2016 3:32 PM
Feb 1, 2016 3:29 PM

Jan 2015
DoubleMangekyo said:
bobzanny said:

Anyway I don't particularly like mystery anime because it usually becomes cheesey, too over the top, or just nonsensical.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Feb 1, 2016 5:44 PM
Jan 2016
DoubleMangekyo said:
What I don't like is when is when a show pretends to be type B when it's actually type A! (looking at you, Rokka!).

Exactly. Thank you.

bobzanny said:

Yeah. If the pacing were faster it would make Rokka better, but not by much.

ItsMaz said:
I tend to dislike clueless mystery. It just feels like the MC pulls the answer out of their ass.
If you look at Gosick, some of the mysteries which were presented had their resolutions being foreshadowed; subtle hints were dropped which would get you thinking about what the answer would be.
On the other hand, a lot of the time it also felt like Victorique (the MC) had 0 reason for knowing what she knew and simply pulled the answer out of thin air. I found those mystery arcs to be substantially less enjoyable due to this.

Most of the mystery cases in Gosick definitely clueless. Victorique somehow can solve the cases easily just because she's smart(I guess? It's like a super power to me).

bobzanny said:
DoubleMangekyo said:

Anyway I don't particularly like mystery anime because it usually becomes cheesey, too over the top, or just nonsensical.

Then I hope if there's a 2nd season the budget is big enough. Because more actions scenes = more budget. And if the budget stays the same, well, it will not be good.

The kind of mystery that becomes those is clueless mystery. Fair play mystery tends to be more down to earth.
Feb 2, 2016 12:08 AM

May 2015
TheServant said:
flannan said:

TheBrainintheJar said:

I see. That makes sense. Then you like Game of Laplace too?

Amiluhur said:

I see, but wouldn't it be more awesome if we & the protagonist have the same clues yet because of how different the protagonist's train of thought or point of view is he can solve the mystery while we can't?

Never heard of Game of Laplace. What is it?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 2, 2016 1:38 AM

Sep 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:

Ranpo Kitan; it aired in the summer season. It was really bad though.

TheServant said:

Most of the mystery cases in Gosick definitely clueless. Victorique somehow can solve the cases easily just because she's smart(I guess? It's like a super power to me).

Oh definitely. Hence why I said 'some of them weren't but 'a lot of them were'. It was one of my main criticisms of Gosick and the reason I gave it a below-average score.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 2, 2016 1:39 AM

Nov 2009
TheBrainintheJar said:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/28619/Ranpo_Kitan__Game_of_Laplace - some kind of mystery show. The first episode was too dark and pointless for my taste, so I dropped it and have no idea if it's a fair play mystery.

DoubleMangekyo said:
bobzanny said:

Feb 2, 2016 3:36 AM
Jan 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:

It's a mystery anime with a hefty amount of odd situations, but like the previous users said, it's a bad anime. Not because of the odd situations it presents, but because of everything else.
Feb 2, 2016 3:55 AM

Apr 2013
TheServant said:
I just finished Rokka, while I enjoyed the overall experience, I did not like the mystery aspect. Because it's a clueless mystery type & it's solved in a very convenient way, but some people liked that kind of clueless mystery(even though some of the fans somehow believe it's a fair play mystery). What about you? Do you like clueless mystery in anime? If so, why? I am curious to know why people like it.

It was a fairplay mystery with every clue given. What wasn't fairplay was the werewolf game, which is fine. The mystery (IE, how was it done and how do you prove the MC innocent?) completely followed every important detective story rules. Can't be fairer than that.

TheServant said:
amk_2397 said:

The Sun Saint was mentioned, but not her power.

It was. Sun saint was mentioned several times and her power was mentioned once.
ZefyrisFeb 2, 2016 4:00 AM
Feb 2, 2016 4:49 AM

Sep 2013
Zefyris said:
TheServant said:

It was a fairplay mystery with every clue given. What wasn't fairplay was the werewolf game, which is fine. The mystery (IE, how was it done and how do you prove the MC innocent?) completely followed every important detective story rules. Can't be fairer than that.

Pulling two stone tables out of your ass that singlehandedly provide the solution for the mystery and are not mentioned anywhere in the story beforehand equals providing all the clues now. I guess, you learn something new every day.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Yesterday

53 by Blueberry173 »»
28 seconds ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - 56 minutes ago

6 by Soap »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » slut vs prude waifus

deg - Today

21 by BlueBullet178 »»
9 minutes ago

» Private lists

Ejrodiew - 7 hours ago

22 by Kruszer »»
12 minutes ago

» What animes/manga where you suprised where made by the same creator?

Lol1268 - 4 hours ago

11 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.