Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 31, 2016 10:39 AM

Apr 2013
Manato dying was pretty obvious.

Noobs should have brought healing potions and reviving charms
Jan 31, 2016 10:40 AM

Feb 2014
lmao goblins ain't no joke. I had the feeling that he was gonna die for the past few episodes, still was pretty sad tho. Rip Manato
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists

Sep 2012
Oh god... Before episode started I just thought to myself that these past 3 eps were kinda slow paced and that something dramatic might happen.

As soon as I heart Haru saying "There are many other chances to ask" I jumped from my chair and went like "Did you just freaking raise a death flag?!" and the next sentence confirmed it and it was so saaad :(
Poor Manato... And also I feel sorry for the pink haired girl...

I wonder how the group will now act without their "leader" (and a priest as well, they will have to find someone with a healing skill or acquire it somehow by themselves)...

Jul 2014
Well, deathflag was real. But it was still made emotional. I do think these sudden deaths that leave the characters in shock are way better delivered than these death scenes where the character still has 5 minutes to tell his/her love interest he/she loved her/him. Really good episode. I'm liking this anime more and more.
Jan 31, 2016 10:46 AM

Sep 2015
So he really died ... It was obvious but it still makes me sad :(
New member inc ?
Jan 31, 2016 10:56 AM

Apr 2013
Damn this death will really hit the team hard especially how influential and essential Manato was to the team. Gonna miss this guy. Insert song was used well and quite an emotional second half. The episode definitely insinuates that in a world of such uncertainty, life sure is fragile.

Dem goblins op
Jan 31, 2016 11:03 AM

Jul 2015
Inugirlz said:
Hold the phone. Are you implying they don't develop/improve until volume 3? Nooooooooooooooooo

exactly, I just started to notice significant changes from vol.3
the anime has an extremely slow pace, probably they will only animate the vol.1 and the start of the vol.2
Cr7_vi_BritanniaJan 31, 2016 11:11 AM
Jan 31, 2016 11:09 AM

Oct 2015
Drinking my tears over Manato's death
God dammit Manabro u did it have to be u ?

And this poetic sh*t isn't helping, spreading his ashes in the wind with some god damn pigeons flying ? Kill me, I'm crying way too much.

Jan 31, 2016 11:11 AM

Dec 2013
Can't say that I gave much shit about Manato since all of the characters are very so so, the fact that I was spoiled because everyone was throwing spoilers left and right didn't help as well, but the death and the aftermath was done well. I'm liking the musical insertions quite a lot, at least so far, it just further emphasizes the atmosphere that the show is going for.

I'm interested how this series will develop from now on and how the cast is going to deal with the loss of teammate. The preview shows some new characters, hopefully their introduction and they themselves will be fine.
Jan 31, 2016 11:11 AM

Mar 2012
Having read the few chapters of the manga I felt like the anime scene when Manato got killed was not intense enough. But on second thought, having a rather plain scene stresses how easy you can lose your life. Haruhiro received 2 arrows as well but got healed and Manato just died like a potato from 1.

By the way was that because Manato didn't have enough mana or lacked focus that he couldn't heal himself ? Looked a bit ambiguous but since Yume talked about Meditation I guess it was the former.

Best anime this season for me! *^*)/
Jan 31, 2016 11:12 AM

Mar 2014
bye bye manato. he never got to praise haruhiro and now haruhiro will never know how manato felt about him. sad life. cant wait for next episode though...
Jan 31, 2016 11:15 AM

Apr 2015
beast_regards said:
Emotional indeed. It wasn't like we didn't know he is going to die.

So next episode next happy go lucky, then someone else dies, if I understand their pacing.

Still, I am puzzled by one thing - what's the deal with that MMORPG stuff?

Story keeps reminding us that this is a real (albeit fantasy) universe where everyone can die and resurrection doesn't exist, but then it throws a lot of RPG terminology in for no reason. There are classes and skills with names, they are equip restrictions. Why is that?

No we don't go happy go lucky next episode until someone else dies. Where did you get that impression?
It's the first time they experience that a human dies and therefore it has a major impact. Why would a story that focuses on replicating realistic reactions and development for the characters go happy like nothing happened?

Honestly I don't see why those things cause such a confusion. Classes can exist even without being RPG terminology. In war there were archers, cavalry, front liners, lancer etcetera. Skills are simply a special way of combat like special thrusts.

Also there is no equip restriction, it's just that equipment is really expensive.
Jan 31, 2016 11:17 AM

Sep 2014
Man, the direction is lazy af. This episode could have been so much better.
Jan 31, 2016 11:18 AM

May 2011
You sort of knew you'd been spoiled by MAL when you read the character list and Manato is a "supporting" role, which didn't make sense when he was the leader of these guys and had tons of screen time.

What's worse is the fact that Manato was a priest, and one of the "main" role characters there is also a "priest" that hasn't been introduced yet.

Talk about a giant death flag that wasn't even in the anime itself. Yikes. You knew Manato was already dead meat by MAL's anime info.

It still sucks when he died. sort of hit you in the feels when the mage girl fell apart crying in agony.

I think the whole slow pacing was to trying and build up the story before the tragedy. But it didn't work well for me. Was still a little bummed when it happened. But I was borderline bored the whole time until then.
CirrisJan 31, 2016 11:21 AM
Jan 31, 2016 11:20 AM

Nov 2014
my favorite episode for shure i almost cried it was so sad also good isentrs of music finally...

these globins are OP as fuck they have aimbot or what

5/5 but i could habe been a lot better, i can see some potential now
Jan 31, 2016 11:23 AM

Jan 2015
Jesus Christ another insert song? Why? Ugh...

Anyway good episode, the fight where shit went down could've been better expanded upon to show how much the team was in a crisis and how they got a bit cocky.

Them showing off all the new skills was the second best part of the episode, the best part? Motherfucking Nakata Jouji making a godlike cameo as the head priest-fucking priceless.

At least next episode introduces one of the better characters.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jan 31, 2016 11:24 AM

Jun 2010
That was cringey as fuck, what a stupid forced death, it was so moronic that the world bent to make it happen (oh! lets map out this entire zone we so smart, then somehow are effortlessly ambushed by a bunch of never-before-seen elite goblins, what a joke.)
Jan 31, 2016 11:25 AM

Jan 2013
Fappa said:
No we don't go happy go lucky next episode until someone else dies. Where did you get that impression?

After the second episode. It put a really great effort in emphasising how it is actually traumatizing to kill a living being (albeit a goblin) and nearly all characters were understandably in shock. It was THE moment that actually show how this is suppose to the dark and realistic.
And then they forgot about it. Literally in the same episode, then third one was slice of life.
So I pretty much assume that next episode will take place when party is already getting over Manato death.
I can be wrong of course.

Show actually does a great job when portraying the emotion in the critical moment.
It however uses a emotional roller-coaster to actually emphasise on them.
beast_regardsJan 31, 2016 11:38 AM
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jan 31, 2016 11:27 AM
Sep 2011
Such a great episode.Emotional and intense.One of the best anime for this season.
Jan 31, 2016 11:37 AM

Jan 2013
Fappa said:
Honestly I don't see why those things cause such a confusion. Classes can exist even without being RPG terminology. In war there were archers, cavalry, front liners, lancer etcetera. Skills are simply a special way of combat like special thrusts.

Not really. Some characters are given a metal armour that is actually very expensive, in case of Ranta, horribly impractical as it doesn't cover the most sensitive places.
Tank guy is forged to use insanely oversized sword which must be horribly expensive (think of all the metal) and also extremely impractical.
No one can use a shield. Shields were more common for medieval warriors than armor! And are more often critical in close combat.
No one can use a spear. Training a spear fighter is much easier and faster than training a sword fighter, as proven with medieval ages and fact that majority of infantry used spears.
Also spears are cheap compared to swords - this also denies the fact that there are money issues for equipment.
Various moves in either fencing or martial arts are named, but the way it is presented they are RPG mechanic. They "gain" them when they "reach level" - despite there are no levels. Why they couldn't learn them before? They needed xp or something, which itself is a RPG mechanic as well.
Also quick-training to certain class is strange, especially with real world kids and magic involved. Like, girl was picked to be a mage or anyone could have become the mage if they wished?
Or could everyone become a priest and then cross-heal each other?
Could priest wear an armour (and shield)?

It looks like game has RPG mechanic and then it doesn't.

Also whole party composition is a very RPG like and does cover all necessary classes that one expect in the RPG mechanic. It has nothing to do with having a archer regiment, then a pikeman regiment, then come Calvary etc. you are speaking about the random group of cca 6 people roaming the line without any higher command.
Whole hunting monsters adventurer business is RPG like, especially if there isn't any real organization above the random party levels randomly roaming the land where are some levels.
beast_regardsJan 31, 2016 11:48 AM
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jan 31, 2016 11:39 AM
Aug 2011
After the emotional song about the death of Manato, more music with the ED theme. Need moar music IMO (not).

Aug 2014
Haruhiro has no redeeming qualities. Even Manato couldn't bullshit a positive for this boring guy who literally does nothing.

Feb 2014
manato was the person how held the group together. now they will probably struggle to stay together or even split up
Jan 31, 2016 11:45 AM
Mar 2013
4 episodes in of doing the same thing over and over again with nothing interesting happening, and they finally kill a main character. Can this anime get any more annoying?
Jan 31, 2016 11:47 AM

Apr 2010
So their leader and healer is gone how will the go on now.
Guess the need a new healer for their party.

It's seems that goblin party was deliberately hunting them and something tells me they will meet them again.
Well i guess it's one of those serious threads that needs to be taken out.
Jan 31, 2016 11:48 AM

Mar 2013
I didn't like it to be honest, I expected Manago to die, but his death was kinda weak in terms of emotional impact. Also, instert songs simply annoys me at this point. This show have potential, but, sadly, it's direction is awful.
Jan 31, 2016 11:50 AM
Mar 2012
Let's just ignore the second half of this episode :)))
Jan 31, 2016 11:58 AM

Apr 2015
beast_regards said:
Fappa said:

After the second episode. It put a really great effort in emphasising how it is actually traumatizing to kill a living being (albeit a goblin) and nearly all characters were understandably in shock. It was THE moment that actually show how this is suppose to the dark and realistic.
And then they forgot about it. Literally in the same episode, then third one was slice of life.
So I pretty much assume that next episode will take place when party is already getting over Manato death.
I can be wrong of course.

Show actually does a great job when portraying the emotion in the critical moment.
It however uses a emotional roller-coaster to actually emphasise on them.

I think you kinda misread the tone of this scene in episode 2 after the killing and episode 3. This didn't show them being happy after a short time. In episode 2 you can actually see how each of them deals with this traumatizing even in his/her own way. What may seem like happy slice of life to you was actually dealing with something traumatizing.

Ever heard of the "phases of sorrow" ? Those are the phases a human goes generally through after experiencing something traumatizing. After the initial shock there is a phase of denial where a person acts like nothing happened. They wan't to distract themselves with any means ( therefore the sequence with them in the city ) while they slowly break inside if they don't face this traumatizing experience. They realized that they can't dwell on those things because otherwise they end up homeless and starving. Therefore they buried their emotions and thoughts about that deep inside themselves and just do what has to be done.

In this episode you can see how this slowly changes them. Ranta for examples starts to enjoy killing and hacks in already dead Goblins numerous times. That's the result of a post traumatic depression. He hasn't really dealt with this experience and now develops in a negative way.

beast_regards said:
Fappa said:

Not really. Some characters are given a metal armour that is actually very expensive, in case of Ranta, horribly impractical as it doesn't cover the most sensitive places.
Tank guy is forged to use insanely oversized sword which must be horribly expensive (think of all the metal) and also extremely impractical.
No one can use a shield. Shields were more common for medieval warriors than armor! And are more often critical in close combat.
No one can use a spear. Training a spear fighter is much easier and faster than training a sword fighter, as proven with medieval ages and fact that majority of infantry used spears.
Also spears are cheap compared to swords - this also denies the fact that there are money issues for equipment.
Various moves in either fencing or martial arts are named, but the way it is presented they are RPG mechanic. They "gain" them when they "reach level" - despite there are no levels. Why they couldn't learn them before? They needed xp or something, which itself is a RPG mechanic as well.
Also quick-training to certain class is strange, especially with real world kids and magic involved. Like, girl was picked to be a mage or anyone could have become the mage if they wished?
Or could everyone become a priest and then cross-heal each other?
Could priest wear an armour (and shield)?

It looks like game has RPG mechanic and then it doesn't.

Also whole party composition is a very RPG like and does cover all necessary classes that one expect in the RPG mechanic. It has nothing to do with having a archer regiment, then a pikeman regiment, then come Calvary etc. you are speaking about the random group of cca 6 people roaming the line without any higher command.
Whole hunting monsters adventurer business is RPG like, especially if there isn't any real organization above the random party levels randomly roaming the land where are some levels.

The reason why they can't wear or use anything else because equipment in general is extremely expensive. All the gear they own right now is second hand gear they got when they joined their respective guilds. They didn't get to choose what they want to wear or use, they had to take what they get from them.

So therefore they have no other choice than to use what they have right now and slowly buy their own actual equipment.

About the skills, I think level was more meant in a "level of combat" kind of way. Unless they are taught certain things by their teacher they simply don't know about those moves.
Jan 31, 2016 12:04 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
If it wasnt for the other inserted songs in the other episodes, it would have a lot more impact. At that moment i just thought ''goddammit another inserted song??''. The rest of the episode was pretty good and that scene is still good but has less impact for me because its another fuckin inserted song. Now it was the moment for one.
DatRandomDudeJan 31, 2016 12:09 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 31, 2016 12:08 PM

Jan 2015
DatRandomDude said:
If it wasnt for the other inserted songs in the other episodes, it would have a lot more impact. At that moment i just thought ''goddammit another inserted song??''. The rest of the episode was really good and that scene is still good but has less impact for me because another fuckin inserted song. Now it was the moment for one.

Same I think silence would've greatly showed how all the members basically died a bit inside. Insert song seems to be trying a bit too much.
Jan 31, 2016 12:09 PM

Jan 2016
Calling it now, this is my AOTS.
Everything in this episode was just handled so well. I just love the art style and the music is just perfect. I had this bad feeling someone might bite the dust but I wasn't expecting it so soon. ;__;
RIP Manato
Really excited to see how the rest of the characters handles his death and also if they will introduce a new healer or if they will try to continue without one.
Jan 31, 2016 12:10 PM
Jul 2018
LOOK AT THIS INNOCENT FACIAL EXPRESSION, THIS CHILD WAS SO PURE. WHY?! LIFE IS HELL' CRUEL T______T

Just when Manato and Shihoru were getting closer to each other...His death hit her hard...and to Haruhiro's too...

Haruhiro will never get to know what Manato was thinking about him...

I cried an ocean over Manato's death. I'm still not cooled down.

There it came. The first character I liked that went on the death list.
Jan 31, 2016 12:10 PM

May 2015
that happens when you're a vanguard healer
Jan 31, 2016 12:11 PM

Jul 2013
Honestly I'm sick of the insert songs, but still, what an emotional episode. I was actually kind of attached to Manato, despite not knowing him for very long. I don't really get how he ran so far with an arrow in his back though; plus, had he told them earlier, they might have been able to get him treatment on time. :(
Jan 31, 2016 12:12 PM
Jan 2016
Manato did not tell Haruhiro what he was thinking of him SINCE this was being hinted as Haruhiro becomes the next leader, finding those words for himself... So sad. Sad.
Jan 31, 2016 12:18 PM

Jan 2014
Omg that was so sad! I cried... I love the BGM that plays in the scene where Haruhiro called Manato their friend.
Jan 31, 2016 12:18 PM
Jan 2016
Yasuo_ said:
Everything in this episode was just handled so well. I just love the art style and the music is just perfect. I had this bad feeling someone might bite the dust but I wasn't expecting it so soon. ;__;
RIP Manato
Really excited to see how the rest of the characters handles his death and also if they will introduce a new healer or if they will try to continue without one.

I am afraid they already did since someone added Mary to the C&S section... how... sad.
Jan 31, 2016 12:19 PM
Jul 2018
The actions were nice in this episode. Every member of Haruhiro's team are gaining some new skills.

RIP Manato.
Jan 31, 2016 12:24 PM

Aug 2015
Pretty sure everyone saw Manato's death coming from a mile away, been pretty obvious considering how light hearted it's been and how casually they are taking their situation.

But overall it was a decent episode, learned a bit more about their skills and how they are improving. My only complaint was the insert songs, I think a dead silence for a few seconds after they said "you can't bring the dead back to life". Then you slowly hear each of them breakdown and Shihoru falls (then cue insert song). They jumped the gun and played it during the emotional scene and ruined it imo.

I'm assuming we are going to get a new character to replace him (a healer I presume). With Haruhiro being the next leader. (I bet the new person is a chick)
Jan 31, 2016 12:25 PM
Feb 2014
well i am pretty sure everyone saw that coming. since why make this story which is boring and has been before without adding in the comedy like the others. well they make it a sad story where we can guess there are going to be more deaths from the main group in this anime..............
Jan 31, 2016 12:26 PM
Jan 2016
Does anyone now if the Light Novel is completed? Are they going to finish the whole story in 12 episodes?
Jan 31, 2016 12:27 PM
Mar 2013
Yasuo_ said:
RIP Manato

If this is your AOTS, then you're doing it wrong.
Jan 31, 2016 12:29 PM

Nov 2014
Oh shit

:'( Feels....
Hi there
Jan 31, 2016 12:31 PM

Jan 2015
Danila_Naumov said:
Does anyone now if the Light Novel is completed? Are they going to finish the whole story in 12 episodes?

We're halfway through Vol.1 and there's 7 Vol. so no. And it's still ongoing.

At this pace we'd have an anime original ending or some pseudo from Vol.2. Hopefully the pace picks up and we see the ending to Vol.2 but we'll find that out in the coming weeks.
Jan 31, 2016 12:34 PM

May 2009

Yorokobe, Shounen
Jan 31, 2016 12:35 PM
Jul 2015
While Manato's death itself wasn't very impactful or heart breaking, the reactions of each character made me really sad. Neither us nor the other characters knew him that well, but he was still an essential part of their team, and one of the few people they could count on. That's why they're so hurt by his death, and we feel those emotions raging at the end scenes. And while the insert song couldve been managed differently, other things made up for it. Those stills tho. Beautiful.
Jan 31, 2016 12:38 PM

Jun 2014
Death flags were everywhere so I can hardly say it was a surprise, but I'm still upset that it was Manato :( He was definitely one of the more likeable characters. Tbh though, I feel like his death could have been handled better. I haven't read the LN so I'm not comparing anything, but I just feel like it should have left more of an impact.

They handled the characters reactions well though and the funeral was sad.

I feel like the fights are getting more interesting as well, and I like that we got some explanation about their fighting styles.

But what are they going to do without their leader and healer? That's a huge loss...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2016 12:39 PM
Jan 2016
TheIciestCube said:
While Manato's death itself wasn't very impactful or heart breaking, the reactions of each character made me really sad. Neither us nor the other characters knew him that well, but he was still an essential part of their team, and one of the few people they could count on. That's why they're so hurt by his death, and we feel those emotions raging at the end scenes. And while the insert song couldve been managed differently, other things made up for it. Those stills tho. Beautiful.

True to the end.Beautiful and sad.
Jan 31, 2016 12:48 PM

Aug 2014
?????

this feels like it came out of no where and it hurts. well, i didnt actually shed tears but it still hurt.
Jan 31, 2016 12:52 PM

Feb 2015
there were making an improvement, great! that is a really good news. and the action was getting fucking awsome. but seriously, even now i still can't belive it Minato died. i don't know why, i'm getting a really strong chill and trembling right now. the emotion was really strong. seriously..after i saw Shihoru face, damn! that was so painfull and SAD!!!!!. i expected that one of them will die, but i didn't expect it to be like that! i wasn't crying but, the emotion just fucking painfull!!!

that is a bad news, but we got a good news too :) i'm looking foward for that.

i got a feeling that someone will die again in the future.

and again...this anime is real. i can even still feel the emotion right now ;_;
YizelTroJan 31, 2016 10:40 PM
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2016

281 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 14, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2016

465 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 1:31 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2016

206 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2016

176 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 12:16 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2016

230 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 12, 11:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.