Brah, are you a scene kid?

I'm expecting you to rawr or something.

Lmao do you enjoy my company or summin?
You reply so fast.

I'm a fast guy.

Tbh, got nothing to do at the moment.
Feb 3, 2016 12:40 AM

Jan 2010
Well i guess with a name like toasty I doubt you'd be anything but fast.

e.e
Sayonara champ.
The owl is going to sleep.
Feb 3, 2016 12:59 AM

Oct 2009
Reading's aight. My favorite books include the Berenstain Bears, The Turner Diaries, and The Evolution of Social Wasps.

Tomato said:
I don't read much but if something is epic then I'd read it. Use to read Harry Potter a lot and I bought some 2nd hand Twilight books. They were pretty good reads!

I disagree with Twilight being a good read. I made it 50 pages in and then gave up. The author's writing is unspeakably lazy. Seriously felt like I was reading fan fiction.

Fuchsia said:
i only read books online nowadays, it's just so much more convenient.

I also browse Reddit.

Feb 3, 2016 1:42 AM

May 2015
Shiratori-san said:
This again? Are we talking about novels (like Harry Potter, The Da Vinci Code, etc...) or technical books?

Reading helps you getting more flexible with the language and it allows you to express yourself better (at least, when you write). But this by itself does not correlate with intelligence. It does not make you smarter (even though it allows someone to sound smarter despite being as dumb as a duck). It does not help you in your life and practical problem solving (I met many people who were only talk). Unless we are talking about technical books and textbooks, those are indeed very important to teach you knowledge in many fields.

Novels on the other end should be seen as entertainment just like any other (with the plus of making you more skilled in the language, as I said before). They are just stories, nothing else. Stories can teach you lots of things, but they can do that in any format, be it in book, movie or manga/anime. And if you think otherwise, it may make you look like a snob.

I also met practical people who had zero understanding of Life and All Its Things. These aren't the kind of people you'd want in a government.

But yeah, I agree. I don't think novels are superior in any way to other formats. There many things you can do in a visual format and can't do in only text. A lot of anime can't be straightforward novels. The visuals tell half the story.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 11, 2016 8:40 AM

Jan 2015
Toasty_One said:
I love French literature, my favorite book being The Count of Monte Cristo.

Céline gives me a lot to smile about god bless him.
Feb 11, 2016 8:47 AM

May 2009
I have a certain genre that i stick to. I even do a few reading challenges on Goodreads. though I am behind in this year's challenge by two books right now. I had a bad reading year last year so i am kind of hesitant right now to start reading again. But i love posting the reviews after reading.
Feb 11, 2016 9:07 AM

Aug 2015
I do read once in a while, however I rarely have any time to. Whenever I do, it can be pretty much any genre, as long as I like it. I've read mostly horror books though, since I find them the most interesting to read.
Feb 11, 2016 9:15 AM

Jul 2015
I think i have read hundreads of history books and historical biographies.This is the only thing i read excpet some light novels here and there , but rarely.
Feb 11, 2016 9:19 AM
Apr 2013
haven't read much over the past 7 years or so, mainly because I haven't had access to a good library..... I signed up to the local one just the other day so we'll see how that goes....
Feb 11, 2016 3:46 PM

Dec 2015
Pretty much all I do besides watch anime is read and write. So yeah, I like reading. These days I'm pickier than I used to be though. I actually hate most classics.

I never really thought about what an aversion to reading might imply, other than it makes my personal career choice more difficult just based on supply and demand. Gotta have readers if you want to support writers, after all. And in my experience it seems there's a lot more would-be writers than would-be readers. To this day I don't know how I feel about that.
Feb 11, 2016 4:06 PM

Oct 2015
CapitalistGod said:
Do you have an aversion to reading? Why?

Or do you love it? What kind of literature do you want to read?
Also Why?

(This does not include manga or picture books... I'm talking about wall of texts or in light novel cases, with only a few illustrations)
--

Do you also think that an aversion to reading will affect one's intelligence?

--

I love reading but I don't really have a favorite genre. My favorite author is Ayn Rand. I do think that an aversion to reading contributes to an individual's low intelligence. I believe that books are wonderful. Someone who doesn't recognize this fact is someone to be avoided.

--

"If we encounter a man of rare intellect, we should ask him what books he reads.

–Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reading is amazing and for those that dont do it as much you should. It allows you to see and imagine vast new worlds, characters, and settings that you'll never see in any other medium.

Some of my favorite authors of all time are Dan Brown, Rick Riordan, Kazuma Kamachi, and James Patterson. Seriously read more people...

"I wish I was sober to feel the pain
So many dark days I can’t explain"

----------
My Sigs
MAL Interview
Feb 12, 2016 3:53 AM

Aug 2009
I love reading. I don't mind people who don't read, but I have a low opinion of people who are actively averse to reading or are determined to not do so.

As for intelligence.. there are forms of intelligence. One need not be a constant reader to be a clever man or woman, but I've noticed that constant reading (of the right kind) is more likely to lend people a form of eloquence and grace seldom found in non-readers.
Fiction reading greatly helps in raising emotional intelligence.

All in all, books are great to hone all types of human sensitivities. I usually read Classics and Philosophy, though I'm open to all genres well written.
Feb 12, 2016 5:44 AM
Feb 2014
I'm more of a poetry reader than a prose reader. I can understand if you may think I'm simple-minded for that preference but I reread poems every now and then to think of different interpretations should they apply. I have 2 or so books that I look at from time to time when in the mood.
Feb 12, 2016 6:04 AM

Jan 2016
Rinshansan said:
I'm more of a poetry reader than a prose reader. I can understand if you may think I'm simple-minded for that preference but I reread poems every now and then to think of different interpretations should they apply. I have 2 or so books that I look at from time to time when in the mood.

Poetry is beautiful too... I will not think that a poetry reader is "simple- minded" lol..
Anyone who says that are idiots...

I do not read poetry much though...
Feb 12, 2016 6:39 AM

Aug 2013
I can think of few things more disturbing than having an 'aversion towards reading.'
Reading is awesome, and people who don't read are missing out on so much. It's an excellent way to obtain knowledge, become exposed to ideas and thoughts, not to mention all the amazing fiction that'll challenge your stances, give you powerful emotional experiences, and leave a lasting impact on you. I think that I respect someone more by default if I know that they're an avid reader. Encountering fellow book readers (or whatever) is becoming increasingly more rare, especially in this age where people are more interested in instant-gratification entertainment and other forms that don't require much time and effort to get into.

I primarily read non-fiction, like history books, technical/theory or science books, but I love fiction too. I don't really have much of a preference, although I'm a sucker for good fantasy with an emphasis on politics and relationships, such as A Song of Ice and Fire.
MoogFeb 12, 2016 6:43 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 3 hours ago

7 by Theo1899 »»
24 minutes ago

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 1 hour ago

2 by LenRea »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » In the future there will be battles for love between species from other planets(theory)

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

9 by _Nette_ »»
29 minutes ago

Poll: » If we eat the mermaid's tail, is it cannibalism or is it fish meat?

Absurdo_N - 11 hours ago

25 by Dracowyn »»
51 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

674 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.