Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 31, 2016 1:58 AM

Apr 2015
Several people replied to my posts in the forum in the past two days but I haven't been receiving any notifications. I checked the settings already and it is set that I see the notifications from everything but that is not happening.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2016 2:09 AM

Aug 2014
AniRev said:
Several people replied to my posts in the forum in the past two days but I haven't been receiving any notifications. I checked the settings already and it is set that I see the notifications from everything but that is not happening.

Did this give you a notification?

Or this? @AniRev
Jan 31, 2016 2:13 AM

Apr 2015
Ardanaz said:
AniRev said:

Did this give you a notification?

Or this? @AniRev

Yes, I think when I am quoted, I get a notification. However, if someone replies to my posts without a quote then I don't get notified.

Question, am I supposed to receive a notification when someone adds a reply to a post I am watching? I believe that's how it is supposed to be and if that's true, I am also not receiving notifications for that as well.

I am not sure about the mention notifications as I haven't received any mentions since this started.

Edit: I received a separate notification for your mention so I think that's fine too.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2016 2:15 AM

Aug 2014
The only thing you get notifications from are @Ardanaz mentions and quotes. If someone posts on a thread of yours, you don't get a notification. Same with watched topics.
Jan 31, 2016 2:21 AM

Apr 2015
Ardanaz said:
The only thing you get notifications from are @Ardanaz mentions and quotes. If someone posts on a thread of yours, you don't get a notification. Same with watched topics.

oh I see. Doesn't that defeat the purpose tho? Now that I know about this, I will use mentions and quotes for sure but I think it should be like this:
1) To get notifications from all replies to our posts
2) To have an option similar to the "watch" function that we can activate on a post so we get a notification every time someone replies

Just a suggestion. That way the Watch list could be used to save important posts to check later or in the future while having the ability to receive notifications or stop receiving notifications from posts other than yours.

Thanks for the clarification tho. It helped a lot!
Cheers!
Jan 31, 2016 2:25 AM

Aug 2014
It's a new feature. I'm not sure what's in store yet, but I'm sure things will get added/changed.

No problem!
Jan 31, 2016 2:40 AM

Apr 2015
Ardanaz said:
It's a new feature. I'm not sure what's in store yet, but I'm sure things will get added/changed.

Yeah totally understand! Thanks again! ^_^
Jan 31, 2016 2:55 AM

Jun 2008
Might as well ask this here since it's somewhat related. So am I expected to use quotes and mentions whenever possible now? Is it considered impolite not to use them when replying to someone in particular?

Just asking because excessive mentions and especially quotes kind of offend my aesthetic sense. Like when people quote the post directly above them that looks really silly to me and makes me want to destroy things (OK, exaggerating a bit).
Jan 31, 2016 3:02 AM

Jan 2016
kuchitsu said:
Might as well ask this here since it's somewhat related. So am I expected to use quotes and mentions whenever possible now? Is it considered impolite not to use them when replying to someone in particular?

Just asking because excessive mentions and especially quotes kind of offend my aesthetic sense. Like when people quote the post directly above them that looks really silly to me and makes me want to destroy things (OK, exaggerating a bit).

What I've seen so far atleast is that people quote to notify other people in their threads. Of course if the thread was made by themselves then it's their own responsibility to check it every now and then. It's not like it's a must, but it's not always the one you want to notify gets the message, depends on user from user.
Jan 31, 2016 3:03 AM

Aug 2014
Up to you. If you want to be sure that someone will see it, mention or quote them.
Jan 31, 2016 6:01 AM

Apr 2015
@kuchitsu It has nothing to do with politeness really. Usually we use quotes to respond to specific parts of a user's question/discussion. Mentions are used to notify the person you are talking about/to about your response. This is not limited to MAL, it is the same for many other community and blog based sites.

The issue I was facing is that when someone replies to a thread I started without the a quote/mention, I wouldn't get a notification about the reply which meant that I will have to keep checking the post itself regularly. That really kills any chance of having a proper conversation with the users who are replying because by the time I check the post, the users who replied are already offline. It drags the discussion or more accurately kills it.

I thought it was a problem in my account as in other sites usually if a user makes a thread, they will be notified when someone replies even without quotes or mentions. That is why, as @Nikechu said, the way to go here is that if you want the user you are replying to to get a notification about your reply, you should include a mention. If you add a quote, a mention isn't necessary as they will be notified anyway.

As @Ardanaz said in his reply to me earlier, the notification system is still new so it will change and grow to fit the functionality of the site so for me it is not a problem for now, I just didn't know it was this way to begin with which is ignorance on my part, I should have guessed.
AniRevJan 31, 2016 6:07 AM
Jan 31, 2016 7:09 AM

Jun 2008
Uhhh.

You don't get e-mails like this? -> https://i.imgur.com/usmjVWN.png
Jan 31, 2016 7:23 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
kuchitsu said:
Uhhh.

I didn't know there was an email notification for that...

and I can't even find where that appropriate setting would be.
Jan 31, 2016 7:55 AM

Jun 2008
Hmm. I have a suspicion that e-mail notifications only work for people that registered a long time ago. For example, according to my friend who registered in 2010 he never gets blog comment notifications even though he tried enabling them.
Jan 31, 2016 10:57 AM

Apr 2015
@kuchitsu I do get email notifications because I activated that function from the settings. Back then I thought I was activating what to be notified about on MAL itself, not by email, that's why I was wondering why the notifications weren't showing when someone replies without a quote or a mention to a post I started. Now that I checked the settings panel again, I saw that it is only to send an email. However, even though I receive an email, it is not instant and sometimes I get it in the end of the day when the reply was written 10 hours earlier so it doesn't help in the manner I wish for.

As you can see in the picture @Tensho attached, the option to get emails sent to you is in the settings so it has nothing to do with how long you've been a member for. Just click on >>this<< and you'll see them.
AniRevJan 31, 2016 11:01 AM
Feb 7, 2016 12:05 AM

Oct 2015
AniRev said:

The issue I was facing is that when someone replies to a thread I started without the a quote/mention, I wouldn't get a notification about the reply which meant that I will have to keep checking the post itself regularly. That really kills any chance of having a proper conversation with the users who are replying because by the time I check the post, the users who replied are already offline. It drags the discussion or more accurately kills it.

Holy Moly - you'd have to check a thread you created ? OMG!

Well, if it wasn't worth checking, maybe it wasn't worth being created in the first place ?

And just that a conversation isn't instant-reply does not mean it isn't worth having.
So you reply the next day or whenever you're back online - what's the problem ? This is NOT a chat.
Aka. / read : If your part of the conversation is not worth existing beyond instant-reply, then maybe it isn't worth existing at all.

Try to think beyond "this-very-moment". This is a forum, so more slow and longterm. NOT twitter, or whatever chat you prefer.
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Feb 7, 2016 12:19 AM
Mahou☆Shoujo

Apr 2011
Tensho said:
kuchitsu said:
Uhhh.

I didn't know there was an email notification for that...

and I can't even find where that appropriate setting would be.

Here it is, on Forum tab: http://i.imgur.com/Coo82OR.png
Feb 7, 2016 2:43 AM

Apr 2015
BannoBunka_snork said:
Holy Moly - you'd have to check a thread you created ? OMG!

Well, if it wasn't worth checking, maybe it wasn't worth being created in the first place ?

And just that a conversation isn't instant-reply does not mean it isn't worth having.
So you reply the next day or whenever you're back online - what's the problem ? This is NOT a chat.
Aka. / read : If your part of the conversation is not worth existing beyond instant-reply, then maybe it isn't worth existing at all.

Try to think beyond "this-very-moment". This is a forum, so more slow and longterm. NOT twitter, or whatever chat you prefer.

Oh wow, is giving suggestions for a different logic or line of thought against the law or something? You can discuss the idea but ridiculing others is not only a useless use of your time but is also a very childish way to respond which is funny considering that according to your profile, you were born in 1966. Notice that I am being respectful of your age which is why I am going to explain it properly, just in case you actually wish to understand. If you don't, well, whatever.

When you add more posts to your watch list and/or have posted +100 posts, will you spend your time checking every one of them? Not to mention when you remove your own posts from your watch lists because it is getting crowded, how will you know that someone replied? Do you go over every single one of your posts every day? week? month? year? ever? Sorry but I have other things to do in my life than staying on the site 24/7 so I thought about suggesting something that will help us keep track of older posts and maintain a short response time. Obviously you have the kind of time to keep track of every post you make, great! enjoy! not everyone does tho. Especially when someone replies to a post I made 2 months ago.

I know this is a forum and the instant reply isn't a must but when there is an active discussion that is interesting, I'd like keep up with it. I can always reply the next day for sure and I do so 90% of the time when it is still doable. However, 99% of the time by then the conversation will most likely have derailed towards something else or become full of trolling posts and it will be pointless to get back on topic at that point.

I do think beyond "this-very-moment" which is exactly why I tried to suggest something that might improve the functionality of the site beyond what it is at this very moment. Websites develop and change with time and the functions they have now are not set in stone which is why the support and suggestion boards exist so excuse me for daring to use them to voice my thoughts. Omg! how dare I?!

You may get back at me with any type of disagreement you wish, I will welcome you and discuss things further but the moment you try to go for ridicule, at that point you may piss off, thank you very much.
AniRevFeb 7, 2016 2:49 AM
Feb 28, 2016 2:50 AM

Jul 2015
Out of curiosity, is there a limit to how many users can get notified through this method within the same post?

I ask because in a club I'm a part of we wanted to release a newsletter, but not go the route of delivering it to people's comments. Instead, I came up with the idea to notify all our members through this method and simply contain the newsletter in just one forum post. However, it seems like many people did not get notified, while others did.

For the record, this is the thread in question:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1486224
Feb 28, 2016 3:37 AM

Oct 2014
Mystifire said:
Out of curiosity, is there a limit to how many users can get notified through this method within the same post?

I ask because in a club I'm a part of we wanted to release a newsletter, but not go the route of delivering it to people's comments. Instead, I came up with the idea to notify all our members through this method and simply contain the newsletter in just one forum post. However, it seems like many people did not get notified, while others did.

For the record, this is the thread in question:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1486224

mentioning doesn't work in clubs.
Feb 28, 2016 3:42 AM

Jul 2015
Cnon said:

That's weird, cause some of the members did get a notification about it.

But I suppose that throws that idea out the window...
Feb 28, 2016 3:45 AM

Oct 2014
Mystifire said:
Cnon said:

That's weird, cause some of the members did get a notification about it.

But I suppose that throws that idea out the window...

Check the announcement thread. http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1473850
You will get notifications on the forum only.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3369 by Confused-_- »»
2 hours ago

» ishinashi has 300 alt accounts and counting ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jun 16, 2023

127 by Spunkert »»
4 hours ago

» Backup

Vapor_AU - Yesterday

1 by pichipichiHiro »»
Yesterday, 8:23 PM

» MAL Export

Devileeee - Sep 25, 2023

3 by zororo12 »»
Apr 23, 3:52 AM

» Problem with API OAuth2 Authentication Login

bidgetfoss_4000 - Apr 23

0 by bidgetfoss_4000 »»
Apr 23, 3:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.