Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Would you recommend SAO to someone?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 17, 2016 8:58 AM

Jan 2014
Despite it being one of my gateways, it was bad writing all around.

If it's someone with an interest in the medium, I recommend the classics like Death Note or FMA:B or Attack on Titan.

If you have a friend who is an avid player of video games, why not? It's of matching interests and, hell, maybe he/she willl love it and go look for more anime. A win-win, all in all. (Tell them to stay the fuck away from Season 2, though)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 17, 2016 9:02 AM
Jul 2018
Nope. There are far better things you can show a person on their first time. SAO is a sad one, I recommend not.
Feb 17, 2016 9:03 AM

Nov 2008
I would but I'd warn them about the few squicky scenes in the ALO arc. Some people are very sensitive to that stuff.

Feb 17, 2016 9:08 AM

Nov 2008
Zoltor said:
A day doesn't go by, where I don't wish I could go back in time, and kill the POS that dares call him self a author, before he was able to release the biggest abomination in the history of the written word, known as sao.

*rolls eyes*

Exaggerating much?

You have not read enough bad literature if you actually think the SAO novels are "bad".

And it's rude to call real people "a POS" when he personally did nothing to you and wishing DEATH on him makes YOU a horrible human being.

Feb 17, 2016 9:25 AM
Jul 2018
Just give them Cowboy Bebop, get them hooked to the medium.

Giving them below average content isn't an ideal decision.
Feb 17, 2016 9:39 AM

Sep 2014
Chiibi said:
Zoltor said:
A day doesn't go by, where I don't wish I could go back in time, and kill the POS that dares call him self a author, before he was able to release the biggest abomination in the history of the written word, known as sao.

*rolls eyes*

Exaggerating much?

You have not read enough bad literature if you actually think the SAO novels are "bad".

And it's rude to call real people "a POS" when he personally did nothing to you and wishing DEATH on him makes YOU a horrible human being.

Atrocious writing, would be a major step up from SAO, because atleast then someone actually attemted to write a story.

There's attempt to write any story of any kind in SAO, nor does the scumbag who dares call himself a author, have any respect for writing at all.

Serously fox news has more respect for writing, then that piece of gutter trash.
Feb 17, 2016 10:01 AM
Feb 2016
In my opinion, no. There are better shows for beginners to watch than SAO, such as FMA or Black Butler/Blue Exorcist.

However, SAO does have merit as a beginners show. If they like MMOs, then they'll like SAO. Plus, it has a big fanbase that they can easily get into and is relatively simple compared to other Anime.

Or Log Horizon. That's probably a better choice from what I have heard about it.

Feb 18, 2016 8:36 AM

Nov 2008
Zoltor said:
Chiibi said:

*rolls eyes*

Exaggerating much?

Atrocious writing, would be a major step up from SAO, because atleast then someone actually attemted to write a story.

There's attempt to write any story of any kind in SAO, nor does the scumbag who dares call himself a author, have any respect for writing at all.

Serously fox news has more respect for writing, then that piece of gutter trash.

You probably didn't even read the novels. I did and they are a fun read. I also learned a lot of new vocabulary, plus the way Kawahara uses lots of figures of speech makes it interesting.

..............and I'm also thinking you must have never read Twilight or Fifty Shades of Grey because those are a thousand times worse.

You're acting like Kawahara killed your family or something.
ChiibiFeb 18, 2016 8:42 AM

Feb 18, 2016 8:44 AM

Nov 2008
30pretentious50u said:

I don't recommend that.

Cowboy Bebop was incredibly boring. I'd rather watch SAO three times in a row than that show again.

Feb 18, 2016 8:55 AM

Jul 2015
Chiibi said:
30pretentious50u said:

I don't recommend that.

Cowboy Bebop was incredibly boring. I'd rather watch SAO three times in a row than that show again.

Nah you might not like it but Cowboy bebop has a strong appeal going for it that I myself couldn't see .I'd definitely rec it......I think .

@OP
Yes I would .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Feb 18, 2016 12:27 PM

Nov 2008
Well, on top of being boring, Cowboy Bebop is so..........unlike anime in general. It bombed in Japan because it was written by a guy so influenced by American movies and culture and you can see that clearly.

Black Lagoon was a more entertaining show, even though it's of the same feel.

Feb 18, 2016 1:00 PM

Sep 2010
If they are an anime noob who has seen less then 50 series yes I would recommend. If they have been watching anime for quite a while I would point them towards something better.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Feb 18, 2016 2:43 PM

Nov 2008
Roloko said:
If they are an anime noob who has seen less then 50 series yes I would recommend. If they have been watching anime for quite a while I would point them towards something better.

Okay, guys, what's with this notion that veteran anime fans can't enjoy SAO?

That's ridiculous. I've been watching anime for nearly two decades and it's one of my favorites. My friends have been watching anime even LONGER than me and it's one of their favorites!

Stop saying "only noobs can like SAO" because that's certainly false.

Feb 23, 2016 6:50 PM

Aug 2015
SAO is a good gateway anime so if they're new then yeah.
Feb 23, 2016 6:57 PM

Oct 2014
Chiibi said:
30pretentious50u said:

I don't recommend that.

cowboy bebop is incredibly boring and sao is great
are you kidding me?
Feb 23, 2016 6:59 PM

Nov 2008
gabrielrroiz said:
Chiibi said:

I don't recommend that.

are you kidding me?

You KNOW I don't kid in threads. I'm dead serious always.

Bebop put me to sleep a few times. I know it's well-written but I just don't care for it on a personal level.

Feb 23, 2016 7:10 PM

Oct 2014
Chiibi said:
gabrielrroiz said:

are you kidding me?

You KNOW I don't kid in threads. I'm dead serious always.

Bebop put me to sleep a few times. I know it's well-written but I just don't care for it on a personal level.

I was really hoping you were
I also do not care about bebop that much but i can not deny it is extremely well made homage of western movies
Feb 23, 2016 7:20 PM

Nov 2008
gabrielrroiz said:
it is extremely well made homage of western movies

Yes, that's probably why I don't care for it.

It's not "anime" enough for me.

I'll just watch those western movies.....no wait.....I don't really like those anyway.

Mar 2, 2016 4:41 PM
Feb 2016
No. I would not recommend the adventure's of Jesus-Kun and the girls who fall in love with him for being good at a broken MMO... As for the reason... I think what I call the show explains it all...
Mar 8, 2016 4:27 PM

Jul 2015
Well, it depends on if you want to show them something with quality or not, to which I would say the answer is obvious.

Mar 17, 2016 12:57 PM

Nov 2013
And make them an idiot, anime taste wise?
No.
CherryLover said:
Yes? Why wouldn't I? It's a good anime most enjoy, and the characters and music and plot are all well-crafted. I don't see how it would be a problem recommending this.

Well-crafted? Lol, just look at Asuna's de-evolution, that's fuckin' well done ain't it.
Mar 20, 2016 10:35 AM

Mar 2015
As an elitist, only this god tear anime in this list are worth for recommendation
This salad is salty favored
Mar 20, 2016 10:45 AM

Dec 2015
_Esper_ said:
As an elitist, only this god tear anime in this list are worth for recommendation
Lol Only thing i see worth something is Texhno, Tsumiki (already watched it),Ping pong,Inferno cop (watched it, 10/10),And Nana...
Mar 20, 2016 10:53 AM

Mar 2015
Robiiii said:
_Esper_ said:
Lol Only thing i see worth something is Texhno, Tsumiki (already watched it),Ping pong,Inferno cop (watched it, 10/10),And Nana...
I just copy and paste from this group
>http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=66773 xD
This salad is salty favored
Mar 20, 2016 10:55 AM

Dec 2015
_Esper_ said:
Robiiii said:
I just copy and paste from this group
>http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=66773 xD

Loooool that was clever xD
Mar 20, 2016 11:15 AM

Nov 2008
_Esper_ said:
As an elitist, only this god tear anime in this list are worth for recommendation [spoiler

Ha, I'll be the judge of this.....

Aria The Origination

Looks boring.
Ashita no Joe

Looks boring.
Berserk

No demons raping women for me, thanks.
Cipher

Never heard of it.
Cowboy Bebop

Already know it's boring.
Ergo Proxy

Too confusing.
FLCL

Yes. Fun ride was fun.
Gankutsuou

Too visually confusing
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG

Boring.
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor

Don't know em.
Haibane Renmei

Looks good.
Hotaru no Haka

OMG So overrated, not to mention insultingly manipulative
Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku
Inferno Cop
Kaiba
Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World

haven't seen
Mawaru Penguindrum

Looks amazing
Mind Game

don't know it
Mononoke Hime

Yes
Monster
Mushishi
Mushishi Zoku Shou
Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season

Snore.
Nana
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion

Yes
NHK ni Youkoso!

too creepy
Ping Pong The Animation

Not if you put a GUN to my head would I consider this hideous thing.
Rose of Versailles
Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan - Tsuiokuhen
Serial Experiments Lain

Sure.
Shoujo Kakumei Utena

F*CK THIS PRETENTIOUS SHIT SHOW. Worst popular shoujo ever.
Texhnolyze
Tsumiki no Ie
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei

Haven't seen those.

lol most of those were crap.

No. I would not recommend the adventure's of Jesus-Kun

Kirito isn't anything like Jesus at all and it's retarded and offensive to say so.
ChiibiMar 20, 2016 11:20 AM

May 9, 2016 10:00 PM

Jul 2015
Chiibi said:

Kirito isn't anything like Jesus at all and it's retarded and offensive to say so.

Citation needed. I can provide plenty of citations to the contrary.
May 31, 2016 5:17 PM
Dec 2015
I won't recommend this anime to anyone I know, even though they spent 1000+ hours in LoL or already watched Code Geass.
Jun 1, 2016 4:06 AM

Dec 2015
Even I have to admit that after a long time of thinking, I wouldnt recommend watching SAO. There are better things to watch :3

- OP
Jun 2, 2016 6:17 AM

Jun 2012
Robiiii said:
Even I have to admit that after a long time of thinking, I wouldnt recommend watching SAO. There are better things to watch :3

- OP

Oh, did you finally see?

I guess people are taking it the wrong way. SAO is more like a niche anime for me.

If the person likes both MMOs and romance, they might like it. If they're a teenager, it works as well.

I feel some people are still butthurt of its increasingly success. Well, to those, there is only one thing to say: it won't stop.
Jun 2, 2016 7:08 AM

Dec 2015
Oujii said:
Robiiii said:

- OP

Oh, did you finally see?

I guess people are taking it the wrong way. SAO is more like a niche anime for me.

If the person likes both MMOs and romance, they might like it. If they're a teenager, it works as well.

I feel some people are still butthurt of its increasingly success. Well, to those, there is only one thing to say: it won't stop.

Yep xD
Watched it a month ago and I created this thread in January xDDD

It definitely gets too much hate, but the anime indeed isnt all that great. Its not too bad either :3

For teenagers Noragami would be even better than SAO. Atleast noone will say u have shit taste co u liked SAO :3
Aug 29, 2016 2:36 AM
Jan 2014
Chiibi said:
gabrielrroiz said:
it is extremely well made homage of western movies

I'll just watch those western movies.....no wait.....I don't really like those anyway.

I take my apology back you're definitely a weeaboo.

Jk, but seriously now why would you cut off a whole medium that is western movies or are you just talking about a specific type of movie.
Shock_YinAug 29, 2016 2:48 AM

Aug 29, 2016 2:39 AM

Dec 2015
How does this thread keep resurrecting lol
Aug 29, 2016 2:42 AM

Oct 2014
Yes - to people who likes Erased.
Aug 29, 2016 6:19 AM

Nov 2008
Shock_Yin said:
Chiibi said:

Jk, but seriously now why would you cut off a whole medium that is western movies or are you just talking about a specific type of movie.

I am not a weeaboo. Weeaboos believe only things from Japan can be good.
I got out of that phase fifteen years ago. lol

Dunno....I've never watched an old western movie in my life but I know all its cliches thanks to cartoons (American cartoons) that imitate them. XD
ChiibiAug 29, 2016 6:38 AM

Aug 29, 2016 6:20 AM

Nov 2008
JasonSkywalker said:
Chiibi said:

SO CAN I.

*Kirito killed other people. It was self defense, sure but it was still murder.

*Kirito has attempted suicide.

*Kirito lives in his past.

*Kirito needed others to save him. SEVERAL times. He would be dead if it weren't for Asuna and the other girls. You cannot deny this.

*Kirito is capable of being selfish. He wanted to play the game as a solo player so he could look out for just himself. Even after he falls in love with Asuna, he wants to run away with her and abandon all the responsibilities that were given to the two of them.

*Kirito clearly values his girlfriend's life over anything else, including his own life, and the lives of the rest of the people trapped.

*Kirito goes to pieces when he doesn't know where Asuna is. He is an emotional wreck inside. Kawahara CONFIRMED that's how he wrote his character.

Kirito has showed small hints that he enjoys messing with people and teasing them. Little bit of a sadist, there.

Jesus is the Son of God, a human embodiment WITHOUT sin. He sacrificed Himself so that humans could be freed from death. His love is unconditonal, everlasting, and He does not love any one person more than another.

Seriously, don't even unless you read the Bible.
ChiibiAug 29, 2016 6:37 AM

Aug 29, 2016 7:22 AM
Jan 2014
Chiibi said:
Shock_Yin said:

I am not a weeaboo. Weeaboos believe only things from Japan can be good.
I got out of that phase fifteen years ago. lol

Dunno....I've never watched an old western movie in my life but I know all its cliches thanks to cartoons (American cartoons) that imitate them. XD

Don't worry I said I was just kidding with the weeaboo part.

I still think you're missing out on a whole medium, but whatever.

Aug 29, 2016 12:01 PM

Jul 2015
[quote=Chiibi message=47544899]
JasonSkywalker said:
Chiibi said:

Chiibi said:
SO CAN I.

Oh can you? I'd like to see them.

Chiibi said:
*Kirito killed other people. It was self defense, sure but it was still murder.

Once again, completely missing the point of calling him Jesus. Its a jab at him being overpowered, and having the ability to solve every problem.

Chiibi said:
*Kirito has attempted suicide.

Citation needed. He never tried to kill himself. He tried to stop someone else from doing it, but never once did he attempt it himself.

Chiibi said:
*Kirito lives in his past.

Sure, when the plot needs him to, like in GGO. Other than that, him living in the past either makes no sense, or only comes up at some random point when necessary to the conflict.

Chiibi said:
*Kirito needed others to save him. SEVERAL times. He would be dead if it weren't for Asuna and the other girls. You cannot deny this.

*insert giggles* what? Okay, I suppose in the most frivolous way analyzed, he kinda needed Asuna for plot's sake, [b[*(even though he ended up saving himself via asspull, I mean, divinity)[/b] and the girls saved him by the end of ALO, (even though he saved himself again with dual sword asspull, I mean, divinity) but on that note, YOU can't deny that throughout the series, more than several times, he didn't need anyone to save him, and if if the show made it look ike he did, he ended up saving himself.

Episode 4 with Silica

Episode 3 against Santa

Episode 8 with his dual swords

Episode 11 when he hacked the system

Episode 14 with the final boss

Episode 16 when he first entered ALO as a new player.

And that's just off the top of my head. There are plenty more instances where the show makes it LOOK like he can't win only to make him look all the more amazing when he eventually does. You can't use a handful of examples of him being in danger as proofs against this, when he not only didn't need them, and ended up winning via divinity anyways, but those instances are so few in comparison to the times when he just completely owned everything.

Chiibi said:
*Kirito is capable of being selfish. He wanted to play the game as a solo player so he could look out for just himself. Even after he falls in love with Asuna, he wants to run away with her and abandon all the responsibilities that were given to the two of them.

Um, okay? Did I say he behaves like Jesus? Like I said earlier, and like what everybody else constantly says, being called "Jesus" is mostly a joke/jab at his power level. But every joke comes from a place of truth, the guy is overpowered, you cannot deny that.

Chiibi said:
*Kirito clearly values his girlfriend's life over anything else, including his own life, and the lives of the rest of the people trapped.

Again, mostly a jab at his power level.

[quote=Chiibi message=47544899][*Kirito goes to pieces when he doesn't know where Asuna is. He is an emotional wreck inside. Kawahara CONFIRMED that's how he wrote his character./quote]

Well obviously that's how he wrote them, but, I don't care, that doesn't make it good.

And again, it's not a jab at his character, it's a jab at his power level.

Chiibi said:
Kirito has showed small hints that he enjoys messing with people and teasing them. Little bit of a sadist, there.

Effing power level and Gary Stu-ness.

Chiibi said:
Jesus is the Son of God, a human embodiment WITHOUT sin. He sacrificed Himself so that humans could be freed from death. His love is unconditional, everlasting, and He does not love any one person more than another.

I assume you must be a christian, so let me clarify that neither I, nor anyone who says that he's Jesus, says it because his moral character is comparable to him. Even if you don't believe he's Gods son, or a prophet (as the Muslims do), e would be an idiot to deny his moral superiority, especially in comparison to Kirito. The jab of calling him Jesus isn't literal, it's only a parallel to various qualities that he borrows from him.

Kirito is like a tortured Hero (kinda) He acts nice, at times, his power has to be powered by the plot, cause how else would he be able to do things that defy in-universe rules?And when the consistency's down and there's no way you can bend rules to save him, he literally does something that's impossible, and the show chocks it up to him being the savior of the masses. He's the writer's shitty attempt at writing Jesus, regardless of whether he'll admit it or not)

Chiibi said:
Seriously, don't even unless you read the Bible.

I have read it actually, it's quite nice.
Aug 29, 2016 12:33 PM

Nov 2008
JasonSkywalker said:

Once again, completely missing the point of calling him Jesus. Its a jab at him being overpowered, and having the ability to solve every problem.

That's retarded too. Of COURSE he can't solve every problem. Thousands of people still died, you know? Why wasn't he able to save all of them?
BECAUSE HE IS NOT GOD.

Jesus was BORN with divine powers. Kirito only got to a high level by grinding literally every single night.

Citation needed. He never tried to kill himself. He tried to stop someone else from doing it, but never once did he attempt it himself.

Yes, he did. Watch episode 03 again. That was his suicide mission. Also, the novel describes that is EXACTLY what he wanted to do in that episode.

Sure, when the plot needs him to, like in GGO. Other than that, him living in the past either makes no sense, or only comes up at some random point when necessary to the conflict.

No, it's practically constant.

*insert giggles* what? Okay, I suppose in the most frivolous way analyzed, he kinda needed Asuna for plot's sake, [b[*(even though he ended up saving himself via asspull, I mean, divinity)[/b] and the girls saved him by the end of ALO, (even though he saved himself again with dual sword asspull, I mean, divinity) but on that note, YOU can't deny that throughout the series, more than several times, he didn't need anyone to save him, and if if the show made it look ike he did, he ended up saving himself.

Episode 10:

He was almost murdered by Kuradeel. Asuna had to save his life.

Episode 11

He and Asuna were almost murdered again and Yui had to save them both.

Episode 14

Asuna had to sacrifice herself for him; if she was not his shield, he would have died for certain.

End of season 1

He thought his will to save Asuna alone would get him through. IT IN FACT, DID NOT.

He only beat Sugou because Kayaba's spirit took pity on him and granted him power. NO OTHER REASON.

End of GGO arc

Sinon had to save him from Shingawa because he was getting his ass kicked.

But every joke comes from a place of truth, the guy is overpowered, you cannot deny that.

When you get clear explanations for his power, it doesn't feel that way anymore. lol

He's not a Gary Stu. If you put him through a Mary Sue test, his results are not very high.

I assume you must be a christian, so let me clarify that neither I, nor anyone who says that he's Jesus, says it because his moral character is comparable to him. Even if you don't believe he's Gods son, or a prophet (as the Muslims do), e would be an idiot to deny his moral superiority, especially in comparison to Kirito. The jab of calling him Jesus isn't literal, it's only a parallel to various qualities that he borrows from him.

It's still stupid and offensive.

he literally does something that's impossible

Like what?
Beating the villian against ALL odds? Sure, for a shounen hero, that's TOTALLY impossible.

Eat my sarcasm sandwich.

He's the writer's shitty attempt at writing Jesus, regardless of whether he'll admit it or not)

No.

Kawahara says that Kirito and Asuna both represent his admiration for strong video game players he came across when he played games himself. They are not and were never meant to be holy figures or anything like that.
ChiibiAug 29, 2016 12:39 PM

Aug 29, 2016 12:35 PM

Sep 2015
I would not recommend this anime to true gamers. Because SAO is prob gonna be a disgrace to true gamers.
Aug 30, 2016 9:30 PM

Jul 2015
JasonSkywalker said:

Chiibi said:

That's retarded too. Of COURSE he can't solve every problem. Thousands of people still died, you know? Why wasn't he able to save all of them?
BECAUSE HE IS NOT GOD.

First of all, calm the actual hell down and use your intelligence for a moment. Solving every problem applies to the problems he's been in. Every single time he found HIMSELF in a problem, he solved it. And the only times he didn't, were when the plot realized that it went too far into its grave. Using the fallacy of him not saving everyone doesn't support your argument. Saving so many people wasn't even a part of his responsibility list. Every other time beyond episode 3, he got someone killed, came in the form of him just being stupid. You don't get what a metaphor or hyperbole or expression is. Hell, Jesus didn't even save everybody in his lifetime.

Chiibi said:
Jesus was BORN with divine powers. Kirito only got to a high level by grinding literally every single night.

[b]insert long ass giggles]/b] I suppose, if you take what the show TELLS you at face value, but what do you expect someone to say when they don't show so much as a minute worth of training footage?

Chiibi said:

Yes, he did. Watch episode 03 again. That was his suicide mission. Also, the novel describes that is EXACTLY what he wanted to do in that episode.

You think he tried to kill himself because he went to a mission where he could have died? N. He said that if he died, he wouldn't care, but he did try to get the crystal so that he could bring everyone who died back, before finding out about its limitations. He did not actually attempt suicide.

Also, what the hell do the novels have to do with this? I'm talking about the anime. Defending to anime by bringing up something that you assume everyone did, or should have read, is just an excuse, especially since there's no way for a broke punk like me to confirm it.

Chiibi said:

No, it's practically constant.

Wow, what an amazing argument.

Chiibi said:
Episode 10:

He was almost murdered by Kuradeel. Asuna had to save his life.

Did you not read the part where I said "I suppose in the most frivolous way analyzed, he kinda needed Asuna for plot's sake, *(even though he ended up saving himself via asspull, I mean, divinity)

I know about the Asuna incident, but it doesn't count.

Chiibi said:
Episode 11

He and Asuna were almost murdered again and Yui had to save them both.

For plot convenience purposes, this becomes apparent when Kirito's Secnd Coming kills Heath Cliff.

Chiibi said:
Episode 14

Asuna had to sacrifice herself for him; if she was not his shield, he would have died for certain.

Oh my God, what don't you get here? If you buy into everything a show tells you, then of course you would come to this conclusion, but you need to analyze things. Kirito came back to life through sheer force of will. Asuna's absolutely retarded sacrifice wasn't necessary. The technique the show uses over and over again, is trying to convince the viewer that Kirito is at some kind of mellow dramatic disadvantage to make him look all the more amazing when he inevitably overcomes it. If he was gonna come back to life, it makes ll the drama that lead up to it completely pointless. This is again seen with Asuna saving him from Kuradeel, because he broke out of paralyses through the power of plot.

That said, Kirito is far from a perfect/consistent Jesus, but that doesn't mean his power level doesn't metaphorically represent him. You keep jumping through hoops trying to counter this. You might as well say... "Kirito isn't Jesus, he wasn't tortured to death!" STOP taking it so damn literal. His plot-divinity turns on or off whenever it;s convenient, but it's NEVER to display his weakness, it's only to give the illusion that he actually has it.

Chiibi said:
He thought his will to save Asuna alone would get him through. IT IN FACT, DID NOT.

Again, callback to the argument I just made. What was the end result? He overpowered the limits of the system, which is explained as [b]the point of his character]/b] by Kyaba, and breaks Asuna out by the power of his will. NO, it wasn't perfect, like what Jesus actually would have done, but he still overcame limits that were not at all possible to overcome.

Chiibi said:
He only beat Sugou because Kayaba's spirit took pity on him and granted him power. NO OTHER REASON.

insert jaw drop WHAT?! That is NOT what happened. He accessed Kyaba's account and hacked the game, literally becoming like its God. If your argument is that he wouldn't have gotten that without Kyaba, you're not acknowledging the fact that since it was a clear asspull, the plot was on his side. So the plot, will always have his back, and if it's not the plot, it'll be "his own power" And besides, there were a literal STRING of asspulls that led him there, so it's not like Kirito earned it.

Chiibi said:
Sinon had to save him from Shingawa because he was getting his ass kicked.

suppose that somewhat counts, even though that's real life, and nobody's talking about real flucking life"

Kirito jumping to level 20 and up by episode 2

Kirit jumping to level 50 on up by episode 3

Kirito taking no damage from 7 level 45's in episode 4 and easily killing their leader without a fight.

Kirito beating Asuna's guardian (whom Asuna is more than strong enough to take care of) in episode 8

Kirito pulling a dual wielding skill out of his ass and defeating a boss all by himself in episode 9. (the skill by the way, never gave him any more problems for the rest of the show)

Kkirito literally hacking the mother effing game to bring Yui back to life. (I shouln't have to explain the level of impossible in that)

Kirito losing to Heath Cliff, only to find out that HE ONLY LOST because HE CHEATED.

Kirito breaking Paralysis with Kuradeel

Kirito coming back from the dead t defeat Heath Cliff.

Kirito completely owning every high ranking player in ALO, despite being a fresh noob.

Kirito continuously using Dual Wielding skills in a game that doesn't have them... apparently.

Kirito turning into a giant Satan monster for no actual reason when him and Leafa are fighting monsters in episode 19 ((I don't remember exact episode numbers for ALO very well)

Kirito pulling out the dual wielding sill against Ugine

Kirito pulling out the Dual Wielding Skill against CG monsters on his way to save Asuna.

Kirito magically getting God Mode [b](literally]/b] against Sugou.

I'll admit, GGO toned down on blatant overpowered-ness (I say "toned down" because a lot of it is still there, just not as bad as it is in season 1) but this here in season 1 is more of a detailed presentation of his stupid power level. If you won't label him as Jesus, at least have an open enough mind to understand that he's overpowered, which in turn, will allow you to understand what people mean when they call him Jesus. If you think it's stupid, fine, I don't care, but stop trying to make it seem like it means something that it doesn't.

Chiibi said:
But every joke comes from a place of truth, the guy is overpowered, you cannot deny that.

When you get clear explanations for his power, it doesn't feel that way anymore. lol

You're absolutely right, you do need a clear explanation of his power. So now that we have it, we can at least acknowledge that he's overpowered.

Chiibi said:

He's not a Gary Stu. If you put him through a Mary Sue test, his results are not very high.

So a character that gets all the chicks, and behaves just generic enough to pull them into his gravitational pull isn't Gary Stu? The show wants you to think he's flawed, but he inconsistently goes from being perfect, to jerk. But since most of the episodes of season 1 consist of him picking up chicks, yeah, I'd say he's mostly Gary Stu.

Chiibi said:

It's still stupid and offensive.

Okay, well, if it's stupid an offensive in your opinion, you still can't deny what it actually means, So now that you know what it means, could you STOP trying to make it means something else?

Chiibi said:
he literally does something that's impossible

Like what?
Beating the villian against ALL odds? Sure, for a shounen hero, that's TOTALLY impossible.

Like, coming back to life, defeating high level players you have no strength to do in the first place, asspulling, hacking the Futuristic Super Computer and modifying it within seconds, getting strong without training. You think defeating a villain against all odds applies to all situations? WRONG. If Naruto beat someone like Pain, you could look at that as all, or most odds being against him, but that's not the same as having no chance of winning (or being dead) and still managing to win, with no in-universe explanation. That's not good writing, and it's not pandering to Shonen characters, it's just dumb. It's one thing to have a chance of winning, but that chance is slim, it's another thing to have no chance, and end up winning just because the plot favors you.

So yeah, at that note, Kirito did beat villains against all odds, but that's actually the bad part here.

Chiibi said:
Eat my sarcasm sandwich.

It's disgusting, just so you know.

He's the writer's shitty attempt at writing Jesus, regardless of whether he'll admit it or not)

No.

Chiibi said:
Kawahara says that Kirito and Asuna both represent his admiration for strong video game players he came across when he played games himself. They are not and were never meant to be holy figures or anything like that.

Well, since you refuse to use your own critical thinking here, let me paint it out for you. Zack Snyder claimed to have a deep psychological influence in humanizing Superman and Batman when he wrote the "Martha!" scene. THAT... WASN'T... DEEP!!! Think about things for a second, intending to do something doesn't make the result synonymous with the initial intent. He made not have intended for Kirito to be overpowered, but they ended up being overpowered. You can tell me all day that Kawahara intended A, but that doesn't mean we didn't get B. Stop acting like his word determines the story's quality.
Aug 31, 2016 1:01 PM

Jun 2013
JasonSkywalker said:

First of all, calm the actual hell down and use your intelligence for a moment.

Chiibi said:
Episode 14

Oh my God, what don't you get here? If you buy into everything a show tells you, then of course you would come to this conclusion, but you need to analyze things /o/. Kirito came back to life through sheer force of will. Asuna's absolutely retarded sacrifice wasn't necessary. The technique the show uses over and over again, is trying to convince the viewer that Kirito is at some kind of mellow dramatic disadvantage to make him look all the more amazing when he inevitably overcomes it. If he was gonna come back to life, it makes ll the drama that lead up to it completely pointless.

If you had eyes and functioning brain cells you would have see he had yet to die, the trick is that he delayed death, not that he came back to life.
And he did especially failed against heathcliff, it was clear he would lose, he wasn't in a state that could even allow him to win, he was already defeated on a psychological level, he knows Heathcliff is too strong, he knows Heathcliff already knows everything about him and his skills, this fight decides everything, undubitably he fails facing off the stakes, something is necessary.
Aug 31, 2016 1:08 PM

Feb 2013
If they have shit taste, sure why not.

Now seriously, I wouldn't, why? Because there's always a better Anime to recommend. If they knew > death note. If they like games > no game no life... Etc etc

Aug 31, 2016 1:19 PM

Jul 2013
If the person is a newcomer, yes, because is an anime who can hook people easily and is entertaining during all it duration, so I don't think newcomers would have problem watching the show.

If is a person with more experience watching anime, then I'm not sure if I would reccomend SAO, especially if that person has high standards.
Aug 31, 2016 1:20 PM
Sep 2015
I wouldn't ever recamend sword art online's anime to anyone unless its a joke like saying you should watch boku no pico. I'm not saying sword art online's light novel is bad but the manga and anime is a pile of crap that should not be watched. But if you like this series more power to you
Aug 31, 2016 1:34 PM

Jul 2015
Lap1 said:

If you had eyes and functioning brain cells you would have see he had yet to die, the trick is that he delayed death, not that he came back to life.
And he did especially failed against heathcliff, it was clear he would lose, he wasn't in a state that could even allow him to win, he was already defeated on a psychological level, he knows Heathcliff is too strong, he knows Heathcliff already knows everything about him and his skills, this fight decides everything, undubitably he fails facing off the stakes, something is necessary.

Oh, how hilarious. I'm stupid for not realizing the depth in the finale of Aincrad according to you. I'll try and ignore your ad hominem and address your argument.

They literally showed "you are dead" to him, so the whole "he had yet to die" shit, is immediately refuted. He was dead.

Second, even if he wasn't dead yet, you CANNOT give me an in-universe explanation as to how he came back to life outside of your own guesses, which have NO evidence to back them up. Take your guesses on over to Film Theory, but don't label them as facts.

I know he failed against Heath Cliff, but the first time was only because he cheated, and the second time was because he was an idiot, then it meant NOTHING because the power of plot brought him back from the dead... or... allowed him to... trick the system into thinking he was dead by playing the death animation...

You can claim he delayed death till you're blue in the face, but even if that were true, "given that he disappeared, and the system told him that he was dead, LITERALLY" you would still need to provide an in-universal explanation as to how in the mother of hell that's possible in the first place. You can't handwave it with the power of love, or the Deus ex Machina that allowed him to break paralysis, mostly because none of those were explained either.
Aug 31, 2016 3:08 PM

Nov 2008
JasonSkywalker said:

Haha. Irony. Gotta love it.

Solving every problem applies to the problems he's been in.

With others' help. I don't see why that's so wrong, really.

Every single time he found HIMSELF in a problem, he solved it.

Uh, nope.

Using the fallacy of him not saving everyone doesn't support your argument.

Sure, it does. That's what Jesus did. So Kirito is not like Jesus.

[b]insert long ass giggles]/b]

Giggles?
I wasn't aware guys "giggled". You're either not a manly guy or you are a ten-year-old kid.

I suppose, if you take what the show TELLS you at face value, but what do you expect someone to say when they don't show so much as a minute worth of training footage?

They don't have to show everything.

You think he tried to kill himself because he went to a mission where he could have died? N. He said that if he died, he wouldn't care, but he did try to get the crystal so that he could bring everyone who died back, before finding out about its limitations. He did not actually attempt suicide.

Yes, he did. Seriously, watch the episode again. It was his suicide mission.

Also, what the hell do the novels have to do with this? I'm talking about the anime. Defending to anime by bringing up something that you assume everyone did, or should have read, is just an excuse, especially since there's no way for a broke punk like me to confirm it.

Lol you can read the novel for free, you know.

Wow, what an amazing argument.

You're welcome.

Did you not read the part where I said "I suppose in the most frivolous way analyzed, he kinda needed Asuna for plot's sake, *(even though he ended up saving himself via asspull, I mean, divinity)

How the hell was that "friviolous"?
He was totally helpless!

Bullshit. Why?

For plot convenience purposes, this becomes apparent when Kirito's Secnd Coming kills Heath Cliff.

..............oh you silly person See below.

Oh my God, what don't you get here? If you buy into everything a show tells you, then of course you would come to this conclusion, but you need to analyze things. Kirito came back to life through sheer force of will. Asuna's absolutely retarded sacrifice wasn't necessary.

...........I can't even...

Lol

Um, for starters, you DO realize that the sorrow and rage Kirito felt after Asuna's death was the only reason he was able to beat Kayaba, RIGHT?

Do you really think he could just snap his fingers at every death situation and be fine? Lol no, it doesn't work like that.. It's all about emotion. If Asuna hadn't saved him from Kuradeel, he would have died because he lacked that rage. Same goes for the situation with Yui.

That said, Kirito is far from a perfect/consistent Jesus, but that doesn't mean his power level doesn't metaphorically represent him. You keep jumping through hoops trying to counter this. You might as well say... "Kirito isn't Jesus, he wasn't tortured to death!" STOP taking it so damn literal. His plot-divinity turns on or off whenever it;s convenient, but it's NEVER to display his weakness, it's only to give the illusion that he actually has it.

But there are so many more anime characters that compare better to Jesus in terms of power and saving people. Usagi and Goku are two. Kirito's never actually saved the world, let alone the universe.

Again, callback to the argument I just made. What was the end result? He overpowered the limits of the system, which is explained as [b]the point of his character]/b] by Kyaba, and breaks Asuna out by the power of his will. NO, it wasn't perfect, like what Jesus actually would have done, but he still overcame limits that were not at all possible to overcome.

Because Kayaba helped him do that.

If your argument is that he wouldn't have gotten that without Kyaba, you're not acknowledging the fact that since it was a clear asspull, the plot was on his side.

How is it an "asspull"? Because you "don't like" the logic of how it happened?
Lol fail.

I suppose that somewhat counts, even though that's real life, and nobody's talking about real flucking life"

Who cares if it was real life? It's still part of his character.

It doesn't matter the number of episodes. It matters with what time has passed in the series itself

Kirito taking no damage from 7 level 45's in episode 4 and easily killing their leader without a fight.

Kirito beating Asuna's guardian (whom Asuna is more than strong enough to take care of) in episode 8

Kirito pulling a dual wielding skill out of his ass and defeating a boss all by himself in episode 9. (the skill by the way, never gave him any more problems for the rest of the show)

Duel wielding was given to him because he was the fastest swordsman in the game up to that point. He didn't "pull it out of his ass". As for the others, I fail to see what makes those things "impossible".

Kkirito literally hacking the mother effing game to bring Yui back to life. (I shouln't have to explain the level of impossible in that)

I do not have much knowledge in hacking. But to argue about technology that was invented in the future when we don't know what's possible seems rather silly. And he didn't bring her to LIFE, he turned her into a stone of data.

Do you think paralysis is permanent or something? It's not. It lasts a few minutes. And the player is able to move their right hand...but slowly.

He didn't "come back". He turned into a ghost and stabbed him. We saw that ghosts could exist in this game in a previous episode so I can buy it.

You're absolutely right, you do need a clear explanation of his power. So now that we have it, we can at least acknowledge that he's overpowered.

He's a nerd who's good at games. If you shut yourself up in your room every day to play video games for YEARS, I can imagine you could get that good.

So a character that gets all the chicks, and behaves just generic enough to pull them into his gravitational pull isn't Gary Stu? The show wants you to think he's flawed, but he inconsistently goes from being perfect, to jerk. But since most of the episodes of season 1 consist of him picking up chicks, yeah, I'd say he's mostly Gary Stu.

Lol you think that's what a Mary Sue is?
Lol @ people who abuse this term without knowing what it means.

No, being popular with the opposite sex does not make a character a Mary Sue.

You think defeating a villain against all odds applies to all situations?

YEP. I does.

but that's not the same as having no chance of winning (or being dead) and still managing to win, with no in-universe explanation.

But there are ALWAYS explanations. Not the anime's fault if you ignore them. lol

It's disgusting, just so you know.

Lol good.

Well, since you refuse to use your own critical thinking here, let me paint it out for you. Zack Snyder claimed to have a deep psychological influence in humanizing Superman and Batman when he wrote the "Martha!" scene. THAT... WASN'T... DEEP!!! Think about things for a second, intending to do something doesn't make the result synonymous with the initial intent. He made not have intended for Kirito to be overpowered, but they ended up being overpowered. You can tell me all day that Kawahara intended A, but that doesn't mean we didn't get B. Stop acting like his word determines the story's quality.

That just boils down to a difference of opinion. You think Kirito is OP; I merely think he's a competent gamer who knows what he's doing.
ChiibiAug 31, 2016 3:12 PM

Aug 31, 2016 8:23 PM

Jul 2014
Robiiii said:
Shit taste is prevalent in MAL.
Aug 31, 2016 9:47 PM

Jul 2015
Chiibi said:
JasonSkywalker said:

Haha. Irony. Gotta love it.

Me telling you to calm the hell down when you lose your shit over something incredibly simplistic is not ironic, it's just me stating the facts.

Chiibi said:
Solving every problem applies to the problems he's been in.

With others' help. I don't see why that's so wrong, really.

Did you read me at all? Just because he had their help, doesn't mean anything for what I'm saying. He solved the problem via plot, so giving him help was just the show;s way of insulting your intelligence to make it seem like he needed them in order fr him to overcome it with the power of plot.

Chiibi said:
Every single time he found HIMSELF in a problem, he solved it.

Uh, nope.

Um yes. The only exception was episode 3. Beyond that, he solved every problem, and every time he was given some plot power to do it, there were no consequences in the long run.

Look dude, I get that you love this show (I personally don't understand why, but whatevs" but even if you don;t wanna acknowledge that he's 100% overpowered, you cannot deny that he's overpowered in the first place. He doesn't have to own every situation 10% every single time with absolute perfection in order to be overpowered. Saying that he's overpowered is simply saying that he is more powerful than he should logically be. Good God.

Chiibi said:
Using the fallacy of him not saving everyone doesn't support your argument.

Sure, it does. That's what Jesus did. So Kirito is not like Jesus.

Ya know what? Jesus was also tortured to death, that doesn't mean that you have to be tortured to death in order to be similar to him. If someone said... Sasuke shares similarities to Lelouch because both of them are dark and edgy with bloody ambitions" that does NOT mean they are exactly the same. You keep pulling these arguments up to try and make it seem as though my argument means something different from what I mean. If I'm saying that Kirito is similar to Jesus in his almighty plot armor and ability to defy death, then even if you disagree with that, how come you keep bringing up so many other things about Jesus that are different from Kirito? By doing this, you're literally just putting words in my mouth, or manipulating an interpretation that I didn't make. I'm not talking about a perfect copy of Jesus, I'm saying he shares similarities. I'm referring to his power level, in that he's overpowered. Whether you're willing to agree or disagree, stop making it seem like I'm talking about his moral character, and mean something else.

Chiibi said:
[b]insert long ass giggles]/b]

Giggles?
I wasn't aware guys "giggled". You're either not a manly guy or you are a ten-year-old kid.

Since when did you have to be a girl t giggle? That's like saying that screaming is for girls because there's a specific way to run. You can giggle without sounding girly.

Chiibi said:
I suppose, if you take what the show TELLS you at face value, but what do you expect someone to say when they don't show so much as a minute worth of training footage?

They don't have to show everything.

What the hell kind of facepalm-worthy handwave is that? Of course they don't have to show everything, but there are things you HAVE to show. That's like Death Note skipping to episode 12 and NOT showing how he to so far or any of the vents that lead up to it, and you handwaving it with "meh, they don't have t show everything" Or DBZ skipping all of Goku's training arcs and magically show him with Super Saiya Kaioken against Nappa and you handwave it with "meh, they don;t have to show everything" Or My Hero Academia skips Midoria's interactions with All Might and jumps right into the High School era, leaving the audience clueless as to how he got his powers or capability to control them, and you handwave it with "men, they don't need to show everything"

Of course you don't need to show everything. If you showed every second the characters pissed, shat, uttered a single word, and every second it took them to walk from one place to another, it's be pointless and stupid, but you don't leave out extremely important details that need to be addressed for the sake of the plot, and not even bother to call attention to them. But this issue is compounded by the fact that the SAO mechanics are never explained or explored, so you the fact that they're not explored, on top of them making up whatever they feel like whenever it's time to give Kirito a new power, makes his powers a gigantic web of asspulls.

This, toppled with the fact that Kirito spent most of his time on low level floors dicking around with harem bait, makes it nearly impossible for anything to take seriously his ability to grow so exponentially high when they don't even bother to show it happen.

Chiibi said:
Yes, he did. Seriously, watch the episode again. It was his suicide mission.

Your feet will forever drag in the void of nothingness with this. I watched the episode, hell, I rewatched it a few months ago for a video I planned on making, and didn't find what you're talking about. He literally said that he wouldn't care f he died. And he wanted the crystal to bring Sachi back to life. You can't do that if you're dead.

If you're so sure you can prove this happened, then prove it. Stop telling me it happened by simply telling me it happened, its a waste of time.

Chiibi said:
Lol you can read the novel for free, you know.

Whatever, it still doesn't defend the anime.

Chiibi said:

How the hell was that "friviolous"?
He was totally helpless!

Because he saved himself via asspull. (God I'm getting sick of explaining this)

If you can only point out a few instances here and there where he needed someone to save him, when there're mountains of instances where he overcomes the plot, then you're self-consciously admitting you're wrong, especially when in those instances where someone saved him, HE STILL ended him asspulling his way to victory anyways, so those examples have little to NO weight.

Chiibi said:

Bullshit. Why?

IDK, maybe because I explained why. Stop trying to exploit the hell out of tiny minute instances, it doesn't make him any less overpowered.

Chiibi said:

..............oh you silly person See below.

I'm silly huh? Right, and SAO fans just LOVE doing this to me. acting like vague BS is just so plane and easy to comprehend, and I'm just too stupid to see it.

Chiibi said:
Oh my God, what don't you get here? If you buy into everything a show tells you, then of course you would come to this conclusion, but you need to analyze things. Kirito came back to life through sheer force of will. Asuna's absolutely retarded sacrifice wasn't necessary.

...........I can't even...

You can't even what? Argue?

Chiibi said:
Um, for starters, you DO realize that the sorrow and rage Kirito felt after Asuna's death was the only reason he was able to beat Kayaba, RIGHT?

Right, cuz that was TOTALLY explained in thorough detail in episode... oh wait... you're full of it.

Tthe show tried to make it seem like the power of love allowed them to break the game's code, but that's a load of shit. It's not possible, it's just a cheap excuse to make something look romantic and powerful. There is absolutely no way you can sit up here and tell me that it is perfectly consistent that their love brought them back from the dead.

Chiibi said:
Do you really think he could just snap his fingers at every death situation and be fine? Lol no,

When did I say that? Seriously, why do you have to play mental gymnastics to refute such basic logic? I never even said that. Ii said that in that moment, he was already gonna come back to life, making Asuna's sacrifice stupid. And if she really was just about to die because of one little strike Kirito was about to receive, then how is that proof that he;s not overpowered? It just proves that one strike was about to end it, and Asuna stopped it (even though she could have blocked it with her sword without dying.

You're telling me to chock it up as a confirmed explanation in which is consistent with the game mechanics and the pre-established rules. DO NOT sit up here and tell me that that was perfectly explained. You can tell me that's how it happened all day long, but it's not fact just because you assume so.

Chiibi said:
it doesn't work like that.. It's all about emotion. If Asuna hadn't saved him from Kuradeel, he would have died because he lacked that rage.

Right, in whatever world you have to go to in order to justify how the power of Love ex Machina can handwave plot holes, then fine, but again, DO NOT act like it's some kind of fact.

Chiibi said:
Same goes for the situation with Yui.

Are you kidding me? You mean to tell me that loving Yui magically gave him Super Human level intelligence at the last second.

There's just, no winning with you. Anything can handwave pot holes. Plot holes don't exist.

Chiibi said:

Chiibi said:
But there are so many more anime characters that compare better to Jesus in terms of power and saving people. Usagi and Goku are two. Kirito's never actually saved the world, let alone the universe.

So what? We're really using the "Why're you judging me when they d the same thing?!" fallacy? Of course Goku is closer to him, but once again, we're not saying a perfect representation, and we're definitely not looking for someone who is literally cosmic level overpowered. In Kirito's universe, he is overpowered. Don't bring in characters from different universe to make it seem like he's no overpowered within his own.

And if we're to be blunt here, Kirito's "sacrifice" saved Aincrad and ALO. Ii never said he save humanity, but he did save the people from the conflicts they were in.

Chiibi said:

Because Kayaba helped him do that.

Kyaba asspulled his way into the game after dying, and gave him admin privileges. Like I said the plot is on hs side.

Chiibi said:
If your argument is that he wouldn't have gotten that without Kyaba, you're not acknowledging the fact that since it was a clear asspull, the plot was on his side.

How is it an "asspull"? Because you "don't like" the logic of how it happened?
Lol fail.

Holy mother of fuck. I highly doubt you've ever left the confines of MAL to have made such a bold statement.

First of all, Kyaba died. Kirito and Asuna were already supposed to be dead, but they didn't die because plot. Kyaba didn't die either because plot, but this time, the plot makes up a reason out of thin air, and claimed that he made some magical brain scanner copy his soul. I don't think you know what an asspull even is at this point. You can't just say it's not an asspull simply because the writer offered an explanation. It's like claiming that someone can stand in court and get away with murder as long as their alibi exists.

Kyaba's ghost shit, was something that wasn't even slightly foreshadowed beforehand. When it came to it, not only was he magically still alive because of something the writer came up with out of nowhere, but he also just gives Kirito a speech, and allows him to overcome the system's limits. It's like you're playing pretend with a kid on the playground, and when you shoot your blast at him, he makes up a new special ability that he apparently always had, and conveniently works perfect against your abilities. That's ultimately how SAO does its asspulls.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeusExMachina

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Asspull

Chiibi said:
I suppose that somewhat counts, even though that's real life, and nobody's talking about real flucking life"

Who cares if it was real life? It's still part of his character.

Maybe because I'm not talking about his characterization

And because him being overpowered refers to his in game self.

And because even with all that put away, it's only one out of a few versus a mountain of instances of the contrary.

Chiibi said:

It doesn't matter the number of episodes. It matters with what time has passed in the series itself

So in other words, anything can develop to any height, and you won't care, as long as it's a decent amount of time that passed.

Chiibi said:
Duel wielding was given to him because he was the fastest swordsman in the game up to that point. He didn't "pull it out of his ass". As for the others, I fail to see what makes those things "impossible".

He merely owned everything. Whether it was impossible or not, he owned more times then he lost. I didn't bring up Kuradeel because I wanted to show that he owns things even when, like in that incident, he could have just let Asuna handle it.

But enough about that, I wanna deal with your lack of understanding on asspulls again.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeusExMachina

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Asspull

They explain that he was given it because he was overpowered in the first place (so, yeah) but this didn't come until the end of the series. Just because you give and explanation, doesn't mean it wasn't something you made up at the last second to pull yourself out of a tight corner you backed yourself into. Kirito magically getting it for no foreshadowed reason whatsoever is exactly what makes it a plot hole. The writer found himself backed into a corner, so he gave him a super power, but in the heat of it all, he forgot that he didn't foreshadow it, so he made up a reason at the last second, which still doesn't add up, given the large amounts of time he spent on lower floors, and the amount of power increases the so happily skipped. (hell, they didn't show a single one of them)

Chiibi said:

I do not have much knowledge in hacking. But to argue about technology that was invented in the future when we don't know what's possible seems rather silly. And he didn't bring her to LIFE, he turned her into a stone of data.

Well, let me use this moment to brag about my brain muscles.

If we were to be nice, and look at it from today's perspective, then here's what we have to work with.

http://game-designschools.com/how-long-does-it-take-to-get-a-game-design-degree/

It takes a good 4 years to get a high level bachelor's degree in game development. To make a game object, requires going into the system and carefully tweaking with actuators, controllers, and messages. The actuator is the initial command, it connects to the controller, which is where you either add a normal code programming, or a high level code programming like Python. Since this is SAO, I am more than sure it would be more advanced, but we're gonna just stick with what we know. There are a lot more advanced programs, but Python is one of the most common. In here, there are a set of equations, code strings, and integers along with percentages that have to be placed in a specific order in order for a modeled object to do something like, drive at a certain speed, only to stop once you let a certain button go. A single actuator, controller, and message, along with the coding, is all what it takes to make a single command, like running, or jumping. So developers may end up taking HOURS to make a perfect game object.

Now, let's really take some time to understand this better. You see, it's not just game development Kirito magically learns. Yui is a goddamned AI. An AI is like a video game 10x in terms of complexity. Normally, making AI's for things like enemy bosses or monsters, isn't really all that hard. \\, but Yui is a fully self-aware, sentient life form capable of thinking adn acting for herself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWmX3pd1f10

The amount of complexity that goes into producing an AI of her level would require YEARS of hard ass college graduate research and work.

So now, we're established that Kirito would have had to study in college for at least four years to even know how to hack the game, and would have had to be well beyond a teenager's mental capacity to even wrap his head around an AI. Kirito would probably have had to spend around 6 years to have the knowledge to do everything he did, and this is only looking at our current era, and NOT acknowledging the fact that he did it in under 30 seconds. Even if we're to buy everything else he couldn't do, he still managed to do it all in half a minute. The only explanation the show ives us is that he was working with machines at the age of six, adn this tels us two things.

The writer couldn't be fucked to look up the average IQ and mental capacity of a six year old to see if that is even remotely possible

And the writer thinks that being good with machines gives you the capability to hack cybertron level tech in half a minute.

Oh yeah, and in addition to everything else, he's also really smart too.

Chiibi said:

Do you think paralysis is permanent or something? It's not. It lasts a few minutes. And the player is able to move their right hand...but slowly.l

I can't take you seriously, maybe it's my addiction to citations.

Where in the hell was it explained? Hell, they never even mentioned paralysis before it was used, so you could just be making that up. Oh wait, you don't have to explain everything either do you...?

Chiibi said:

He didn't "come back". He turned into a ghost and stabbed him. We saw that ghosts could exist in this game in a previous episode so I can buy it.l

First of all, NO, his screen literally told him that he was dead. Ii'm tired of seeing people tell me that he wasn't dead when he clearly was and lost all of his health.

Second, where as it shown that THAT was even possible? They showed it happen, but never explained how, so even if we're to buy that BS, the lack of knowledge can lead anyone to guess how Kirito managed to pull it off since he was already dead immediately before willing himself back to life. I don't see you being critical with this writing at all. As far as your're concerned, everything makes sense as long as it happened.

Chiibi said:

He's a nerd who's good at games. If you shut yourself up in your room every day to play video games for YEARS, I can imagine you could get that good.

You're joking right? It's one thing to be good at games, but that doesn't handwave everything that happened. SAO isn't like every game. You don't just get good at games, and then conquer all games. Kirito became a BETA tester a month before the game's official release, and he even admitted that he could never make it high in the world, on top of the game going through many changes after the BETA, so don't act like him being a nerdy gamer justifies how he can walk through Aincrad by dicking around on low level floors in a world he's not all that good at in the first place.

And that still doesn't justify defying the game's rules.

Chiibi said:

Lol you think that's what a Mary Sue is?
Lol @ people who abuse this term without knowing what it means.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MartyStu

lol at people who think they know what they're talking about. Tell me, have you heard of Google?

Chiibi said:
No, being popular with the opposite sex does not make a character a Mary Sue.

I didn't say it did. Once again, having fun thinking you'er right by deliberately misrepresenting my arguments. It's one thing to be popular, its another thing to have almost all of them literally fall in love with you by doing next to nothing. It's called "wish fulfillment"

Chiibi said:
You think defeating a villain against all odds applies to all situations?

YEP. I does.

Oh really? Well, let's see how you support this.

Chiibi said:
but that's not the same as having no chance of winning (or being dead) and still managing to win, with no in-universe explanation.

But there are ALWAYS explanations. Not the anime's fault if you ignore them. lol

[b]*insert mainly giggles*/[b]

CITATION NEEDED! You didn't provide a single scene that supported your argument of these Deus ex Machina NOT being Deus ex Machina. All you did was say "well, it happened before, so it can happen again. No explanation needed" THAT'S your idea of an explanation? You've gotta be kidding me.

Chiibi said:

That just boils down to a difference of opinion. You think Kirito is OP; I merely think he's a competent gamer who knows what he's doing.

First of all, you dodged the point like Piccolo. The reason I said that was because you were claiming that I was wrong because the writer intended something lose. You can't refute an argument with that, because what the writer intends isn't the same as what ends up happening, but you dodge the point with the "it's just your opinion man" argument, when that isn't even what I was talking about.

Second, whether or not you THINK he's OP isn't a matter of opinion. If a character is statistically more powerful than he should be, given everything that occurred within the universe. then goes on to do things that literally defy the show's logic, then that's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact. If he truly consistently stayed true to his power level, and didn't break suspension of disbelief with asspulls, then he is objectively NOT OP. This argument isn't on whether or not SAO or Kirito are good characters, I'm simply telling he's overpowered, and you can't accept it.
Aug 31, 2016 10:04 PM

Dec 2015
OppaiSugoi said:
Robiiii said:
Shit taste is prevalent in MAL.

I guess :p
The thing that bug me the most about SAO is how random and boring it is. Not plotholes n shit, its just boring really and execution sucks
Well I guess the boredom comes from how overpowered Kirito is :/
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

59 by SaveStyle »»
40 minutes ago

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

67 by TwigzLIVE »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

163 by SignsOfSuicide »»
Apr 14, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2012

734 by Lionwing »»
Apr 7, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

948 by Reshiram_IX »»
Apr 2, 4:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.