Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 30, 2016 11:09 PM

May 2015
It's hard to write main characters in any fiction. Even literature fails a lot, creating cookie-cutter protagonists who just observe the story or are convenient.

Medabots, Digimon Tamers, Future Diary, NGE, Erin, Dennou Coil, SEL are all anime that have protagonists with a distinct personality that drive it. You could not replace them with anyone. They don't just observe the story or move it when it needs moving. They always engage with it.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 31, 2016 4:08 AM

May 2014
I'll go with Tomoya Okazaki, Kurisu Makise and I guess Lelouch Vi Britannia(though that sorta goes back and forwards throughout the series)
There’s no such thing as miracles, only the inevitable, the accidental
and the things we do.
Jan 31, 2016 4:37 AM

Nov 2015
Strawberrycake48 said:
Personally, I think a lot of MCs in anime are either cliche cookie cutouts, somehow get the least development, are Mary sue's or Gary Stu's or have the worst or blandest character designs out of the whole cast of characters.

It's a rarity that the protagonist of an anime is my favourite, or even a stand out character in a show and I feel that the supporting cast end up carrying the whole weight of the anime instead!

Too cynical..
Okabe Rintarou (mad scientist,character development)
Satou Tatsuhiro (realistic portrayal of a hikikomori)
Light (character deterioration)
Arima Kousei (shitty past and development)
There are so many more that I could name but only these ones from the top of my head..
Jan 31, 2016 4:52 AM

Jan 2013
The Great Teacher. Onizuka Eikichi
Jan 31, 2016 5:13 AM

Apr 2013
Lots of the very well done protagonists usually come from LN adaptations ImO.

Characters like Kou Shuurei, Lawrence, Watashi, Adlet Mayer, Midarezaki Kyouka, Kyon, and so on.
Jan 31, 2016 7:22 AM

Dec 2012
My experience seems to be different. Because most of the anime I like usually have a good protagonist. Well done protagonist are not uncommon in anime.

Outside of Harem/ecchi anime usually the protagonist is given good focus, sometimes development if he/she needs it.

Examples imo are:

Uzumaki Naruto from Naruto
Hachiman from Oregariu
Yato from Noragami
Kirtsigu from Fate/Zero
Araragi from Monogatari
Kankei from Tokyo Ghoul
Bossun from SKET Dance
Light from Death Note
Kaiji from Kaiji
etc
Jan 31, 2016 8:14 AM

Jun 2015
kirito is my favouritest character ever
Jan 31, 2016 11:08 AM

Feb 2014
There are a lot of characters, but I think these two are the best.
Games : Asbel from TOG.
Anime : Ai from Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi.
Jan 31, 2016 11:14 AM

Jul 2015
Well idk how it's going to end but I'm liking Balsa
Jan 31, 2016 11:39 AM

Jul 2013
Araragi Koyomi. Outside he looks like your typical generic harem lead. In the inside, he is actually complex, care for the others, make deep analyses of the world around him and is actually smart when the situation is needed, apart of being best pervert ever.
Jan 31, 2016 11:42 AM

Mar 2015
Amuro Ray

The way he develops through 0079, Zeta, and Char's Counterattack is absolutely fantastic.
LancimusPrimeJan 31, 2016 11:57 AM
Jan 31, 2016 6:06 PM

Feb 2015
Hachiken Yuugo's Arakawa Hiromu.
He's very relatable, very..human, and develops alot
Jan 31, 2016 6:14 PM

Jan 2016
It's hard to find a protagonist that I love or even like. Most protagonists are either boring, generic, or just plain annoying. I want to get a sense of who the protagonist is as a character. Why do they act the way they do? What are their interests/hobbies? How do they relate to their friends? Do they grow as characters? Personally, my favorite anime protagonist is Okabe from Steins;Gate. All the questions above are answers/explored in both the anime and the visual novel.
Jan 31, 2016 9:40 PM

Feb 2013
I really like Miyamori Aoi from Shirobako, she's such a relatable character and you can really feel her passion for anime. And her experiences really struck a chord with me.
Jan 31, 2016 10:26 PM

Nov 2013
Allen Walker - D Gray Man

One awesome protagonist.
Jan 31, 2016 11:04 PM

Sep 2013
While not the main protag, Killua deserves a mention in this thread. His character development (and Gon's too but to a lesser extent) in Hunter x Hunter is fantastic.
Feb 1, 2016 9:58 AM

May 2013
I'd say Hunter x Hunter, One Piece, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure are some of the best shounen series in terms of main characters.

Pretty much any Ghibli or Gainax work has excellent protagonists. (Look at Miyazaki's movies and pre-Ghibli work, Chihiro of Spirited Away is a great example, with Gainax just look at Shinji Ikari, Simone, Ryuko - Trigger is basically the second coming of Gainax - and others)
Feb 1, 2016 10:01 AM
Aug 2013
Illyricus said:
Araragi Koyomi. Outside he looks like your typical generic harem lead. In the inside, he is actually complex, care for the others, make deep analyses of the world around him and is actually smart when the situation is needed, apart of being best pervert ever.

Haha this though.

Definitely Oreki, best portait i've seen of being a minimalist.

And then Hikigaya is an extremely well written character. Also Makise Kurisu, Lelouch and Killua.

Also think Nanba Mutta was a really well done character.
Feb 1, 2016 10:15 AM

Dec 2012
Literally everyone in Legend of the Galactic Heroes. They are all walking textbooks on history, philosophy, the art of war, politics and leadership. Paul von Oberstein in particular is perhaps everything Danzo from Naruto wishes he could be. A true student of Machiavellian schemes, he's completely aware of his role and represents the necessary evil that must shadow all righteous causes.
Feb 1, 2016 10:38 AM

Feb 2015
Literally everyone in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Feb 1, 2016 4:48 PM

Sep 2015
At least in manga, Joe is the best character I've ever seen. Kenzo Tenma and the whole cast of Ping Pong are also fantastic.
Feb 1, 2016 7:33 PM

Jun 2013
Shinji Ikari to me is the perfect protagonist, one who is his own character yet the audience can easily step into his shoes and see the world of Evangelion through his eyes.

Ichise from Texhnolyze is also incredibly well written with decidedly subtle character development without revealing too much about himself
Feb 2, 2016 12:05 AM

May 2015
Evatallica said:
Shinji Ikari to me is the perfect protagonist, one who is his own character yet the audience can easily step into his shoes and see the world of Evangelion through his eyes.

Ichise from Texhnolyze is also incredibly well written with decidedly subtle character development without revealing too much about himself

Ichise had potential, and the whole 'violence' was a well-developed theme. Mostly, though, he stands stoic.
Feb 2, 2016 8:14 AM

Jan 2013
Joe Yabuki.

His development throughout the series cannot be explained in words. He basically goes from immature, bratty behaviour to a fine and respected boxer. It was really good to witness his development

Onizuka from GTO

The best delinquent for obvious reasons
Feb 2, 2016 6:27 PM

Aug 2015
There are other protagonists I'd like to mention too:
Kuroko Tetsuya (Kuroko no Basuke); Kenzo Tenma (Monster)
Guts (Berserk)
Saitama (One Punch Man)
Mugen, Jin, Fuu (Samurai Champloo)
Onoda Sakamichi (Yowamushi Pedal)

but I feel like delving into Eren Jaeger (Shingeki no Kyojin) this time. XD

I will mention some spoilers here from both the anime and manga.

koori_no_jinFeb 2, 2016 6:31 PM
蒼穹を舞う。
Feb 2, 2016 10:44 PM

Jun 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
Evatallica said:

Ichise had potential, and the whole 'violence' was a well-developed theme. Mostly, though, he stands stoic.

I don't think his stoicism is a flaw though, it's just who he is. The moments where he does show genuine emotion are extremely powerful, especially at the end of Texhnolyze.
Feb 2, 2016 11:08 PM

Jan 2012
If I had to pick one character, I'd probably say Killua from HxH.

At first he starts off as this sort of cocky brat, but develops into a deep character that cares deeply for his friends and (certain) family members. You could see him grow throughout the show, almost better than Gon.
Feb 3, 2016 1:25 AM

May 2015
Evatallica said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I don't think his stoicism is a flaw though, it's just who he is. The moments where he does show genuine emotion are extremely powerful, especially at the end of Texhnolyze.

It's more of a case of 'decent character stuck in a terrible setting'. It made sense for him to be so - he was introverted, damaged, not being able to comprehand what's been done to him.

When everyone is so similar to him without these reasons, it loses the effect.
Feb 3, 2016 1:32 AM

Nov 2014
Ginko from Mushishi. He has barely any character development but I think he is the best MC I have seen in anime.

Another MC that I liked was Balsa from Moribito
Feb 4, 2016 12:51 AM

May 2015
omeg4 said:
Ginko from Mushishi. He has barely any character development but I think he is the best MC I have seen in anime.

I'm interested why you like him so much, then. I always found him on the verge of becoming very interesting but not getting there.
Feb 4, 2016 1:12 AM
Jun 2015
I thought I posted in this thread but apparently I didn't according to my MAL.

I say Shirou, Oz and Chiyo. Kotarou and Merry's also worth a mention.
Feb 4, 2016 1:23 AM

Oct 2014
Spike Spiegel definitely deserves a mention. He is a calm, collected and holds true to his own values. He may be cynical and you don't know much about his past, but still, you can't help rooting for him.
Feb 4, 2016 1:39 AM

Jul 2015
I really liked Joseph Joestar for some reason.
and i would also like to add:
Light Yagami
Hachiman
Madoka
Kaiba
Reinhard Lohengram
Lelouch
And of course motherf****ng ALUCAAAAAARD
Feb 4, 2016 1:44 AM

Aug 2012
Edward Elric, Lelouch Lamperouge, Monkey D. Luffy, Li Shouran (TRC), Miyazawa Yukino (Kare Kano), Erin (Kemono Shoujo Erin)..
Quite a lot protagonist are well designed... hmm

Feb 4, 2016 1:59 AM
Jan 2016
Gintoki from Gintama always comes to mind oddly enough. He's one of the few main characters with a backstory that you keep hearing about but it never really stops being redundant. I also just like how there are many different sides to him that you learn about as the series progresses. Honestly, I never would have thought that this lazy samurai from the first episodes would evolve into such a cool character.
Feb 4, 2016 1:59 AM
Sep 2015

• Kiritsugu Emiya from Fate/Zero (If he can be considered an MC)
  • Shiki Ryougi from Kara no Kyoukai
  • Ken Kaneki from the Tokyo Ghoul (and :re) manga
  • Tsunemori Akane from Psycho-Pass
Feb 4, 2016 2:04 AM

Apr 2014
Lelouch and Light Yagami.

Intelligent, mature, and interesting to watch.
Tonight, Synklare joins the hunt.
Feb 4, 2016 4:08 AM

Nov 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
omeg4 said:

I'm interested why you like him so much, then. I always found him on the verge of becoming very interesting but not getting there.

It is a bit hard to explain. I like the fact that he is always calm and respects all forms of life. I also think he is a very humble character despite knowing so much about mushi and very few protagonists in anime are like that. A lot of MCs are either hotheaded/arrogant or cold emotionless killers that do not value life. Ginko is very different from them. Another reason why I like him is because of the way the show is presented to the viewer. Mushishi is a very peaceful show and ginko is its MC. I also like the fact that we do not know much about him because it fits the mysterious atmosphere of the show perfectly.

I have not seen a lot of anime and there might be more protagonists like him but currently he is my favorite character.
Feb 4, 2016 5:01 AM

May 2015
omeg4 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

It is a bit hard to explain. I like the fact that he is always calm and respects all forms of life. I also think he is a very humble character despite knowing so much about mushi and very few protagonists in anime are like that. A lot of MCs are either hotheaded/arrogant or cold emotionless killers that do not value life. Ginko is very different from them. Another reason why I like him is because of the way the show is presented to the viewer. Mushishi is a very peaceful show and ginko is its MC. I also like the fact that we do not know much about him because it fits the mysterious atmosphere of the show perfectly.

I have not seen a lot of anime and there might be more protagonists like him but currently he is my favorite character.

It sounds to me more like liking Ginko as a person, and less how he functions as a character. I don't think a character having good traits is enough to make them likeable. It's how these traits are written that makes them effective.

Good point about the 'mysterious' thing. I haven't thought of that before.
Feb 4, 2016 5:02 AM

Mar 2015
Lain and Yang Wenli are preferably my most favored protagonists.
Feb 4, 2016 5:05 AM

Jul 2015
light / lelouch
and ofc nothing can beat Keima <3
Feb 4, 2016 7:31 AM

Nov 2015
Light, lelouch,Saki from shinsekai, Kousei Arima, Matoi Ryuko and Okabe Rintarou.
The last one in particular.
Feb 4, 2016 7:32 AM

Apr 2013
Alucard, the answer is always Alucard. I don't get how someone could hate that guy.
Feb 4, 2016 8:05 AM
May 2009
Mikumo from World Trigger
I actually like this protag, not over powered doesn't get strong instantaneously. Remains me of Kenichi. Both choose to stand their ground instead of running.
Feb 4, 2016 8:08 AM

May 2015
tragedydesu said:

and ofc nothing can beat Keima <3

THIS IS IT.............................................
KEIMA IS THE BEST ANIME CHARACTER EVER

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Feb 4, 2016 2:02 PM

Jan 2014
Natsume Takashi
Goku/Hanamichi (the simple minded idiots that I love)
Hei from Darker than Black
Feb 4, 2016 2:47 PM

Feb 2011
I personally like Gary Stu's and Mary Stu's, as long as the challenges that are written for them are worthy. I think chracters who are both strong and smart are admirable and enjoy watching them face insurmountable odds. Pf course, if the story is mundane, the op hero will decrease the tension sadly.

I also just like smart protagonists. I kinda dislike a lot of MCs who are harembakas or shonen stereotypes, and I like people like say Hikigaya who are different and intelligent in their own right

Idk about female protags though. Not sure why but I dislike a lot of them.
Feb 4, 2016 4:59 PM

Jul 2015
Emiya fuckin Shirou .

Yes I know I've said this before .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Feb 4, 2016 5:09 PM

Jan 2013
Dragon said:
I personally like Gary Stu's and Mary Stu's, as long as the challenges that are written for them are worthy. I think chracters who are both strong and smart are admirable and enjoy watching them face insurmountable odds. Pf course, if the story is mundane, the op hero will decrease the tension sadly.

I also just like smart protagonists. I kinda dislike a lot of MCs who are harembakas or shonen stereotypes, and I like people like say Hikigaya who are different and intelligent in their own right

Idk about female protags though. Not sure why but I dislike a lot of them.

Are you me?

SodiumChloride said:
Emiya fuckin Shirou .

Yes I know I've said this before .

Yay, someone else who can appreciate him.
Feb 4, 2016 5:11 PM

Jul 2015
^If you ever see someone with UBW rated higher than Zero ,then you can be 200% sure that the person understood him .

At least that's if the person didn't vote both low scores .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

65 by Vendicator »»
1 minute ago

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - Yesterday

17 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
14 minutes ago

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 9 hours ago

9 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
15 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

41 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
18 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 11 hours ago

37 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.