Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 29, 2016 9:48 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Loved the atmosphere of this episode.

A cold weather setting is a perfect way for these gentlemen to entertain the audience. Yotarou's performance is still electrifying as usual. The guy has so much talent imo when it comes to rakugo. I also love the colorful style of the performances of this episode.

In the meantime, we got some Kiku who is getting some flirty moments with the girl that showed up. Kinda awkward but I'm okay with it. Good episode overall.
Stark700Jan 29, 2016 1:27 PM
Jan 29, 2016 9:53 AM

Nov 2007
Main guy working as waitress. That friend showing how good his rakugo is as usual.

Main character still cannot do rakugo, and the teacher suggested to relax and show "flaw". When seeing other's rakugo, the lady, who is working as geisha under the teacher's suggestion, is there, too. She is interested in the main guy.

26:55 next.
tsubasaloverJan 29, 2016 10:46 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 29, 2016 1:30 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
I waiting to see Sukeroku do another rakugo performance and I wasn't disappointed. I love his rakugo performances the best!

5/5
GoldenDevilGamerJan 29, 2016 1:40 PM
Jan 29, 2016 1:40 PM

Jan 2012
This series remains immediately engrossing as the look into the lives of Yakumo and Shin as young men continues this week. That rakugo performance Shin put on was pretty damn great. I don't claim to know the first thing about it, but that I liked. :D Yakumo doesn't seem to ask for it, but he seems to be quite the ladies man what with the two girls last week, the girls early on this week, and of course Miyokichi. Do we know who Konatsu's mom is? I'm wondering if she ends up with Shin just knowing what we know about the future. Looks like we'll get to see the boys in geisha attire next week. :D
Jan 29, 2016 1:42 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I'm now convinced that each and every episode of this series will be 10/10

Shin-san's performance was great and super funny but my goodness Kiku gets all the ladies lol....Miyokichi is hot and her personality makes her so sexy, but I died seeing how Yakumo even tools around with her xD

I wonder if we're gonna get to see who it is that Shin ends up marrying
TokoyaJan 29, 2016 2:24 PM
Jan 29, 2016 1:45 PM

Nov 2014
"Eroticism comes from flaws. There's no sex appeal in perfection."

So true.

Another great episode.
Jan 29, 2016 1:48 PM
Jul 2018
Yakumo is working as a waiter!

Shin's performance was so good!
Jan 29, 2016 1:58 PM

Apr 2015
Love this show. Almost certainly AOTS. The characters are amazing, the themes are rich and interesting and the atmosphere is extremely comforting. Wish this gem was getting more attention. (Sigh)
It's time you look inward and begin asking yourself the big question, "Who are you, and what do you want?" - Uncle Iroh
Jan 29, 2016 2:01 PM

Nov 2012
"So long, samurai! Now you samu-die!"

lol
Jan 29, 2016 2:05 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Shin's performance was hilarious, particularly the "So long, Samurai Now you samu-die!" bit and the punchline at the end. His seiyuu, Yamadera Kouichi is doing an excellent job bringing vigor into the plays and in Shin's overall character.

Miyokichi and her approaches were great! Too bad, Yakumo's ineptitude with women prevented further movements. It kinda seemed like she has a little history with Shin, or was it just me?

Jan 29, 2016 2:12 PM

Aug 2010
Will Miyokichi really be Konatsu's mom? She does seem kinda too attached to Kiku atm to go for Shin unless some really dramatic shit happens. Gotta say she really is pretty.

Kiku sure has it going with the ladies tho. He could be one hell of a play boy if he wanted to XD

Loved Shin's performance. Lots of fun.

Is that trap Kiku I see in the PV O_o
Jan 29, 2016 2:16 PM

Oct 2012
Great episode.
I could really see a similarity between Shin's and Yotarou's performances but I prefer Yotarou's.
Jan 29, 2016 2:48 PM

Aug 2010
Nxt week is gonna be 55 min
Jan 29, 2016 2:53 PM

Apr 2011
It felt too short. A great episode again. I am loving this too much.

Miyokichi so annoying. It doesn't help that I know what happens next.

But Geisha Kiku next episode YESS

To anyone who is wondering about Konatsu's mother:
Jan 29, 2016 3:01 PM

Jul 2015
Somehow I predicted the dude inside Shin-san's Rakugo would ditch the guy trying to kill the rich girl. Really funny rakugo. Kiku with that one chick was fun. She was aggressive, specially that close up when she takes the cane from him and rubs his hand. Wink* wink*
Jan 29, 2016 3:04 PM

Mar 2015
The atmosphere in this anime is so relaxing, make you feel each character, care for them..

Great episode, and anime so far.
Jan 29, 2016 3:21 PM

Jun 2009
Konatsu's mother was geisha. Konatsu visited her mother's friend who also was geisha to ask about her parents. Miyokichi so far is the only geisha we know and she looks like important character, so yeah. And it makes sense for Shin to know her since he was the one who accompanied his Master during the war while Kikuhiko left to the countryside.
Jan 29, 2016 3:28 PM

Aug 2015
VanishingKira said:
"So long, samurai! Now you samu-die!"

lol

This was really funny. xD great episode.
Jan 29, 2016 4:05 PM

Jul 2015
I can only see the kikuhito waiter <3
Jan 29, 2016 4:31 PM

Jun 2013
Yotarou's performances never disappoint
Jan 29, 2016 4:41 PM

Sep 2014
This episode seemed to go by really fast, I'm looking forward to next week.
Jan 29, 2016 4:46 PM

Jul 2009
I love how defined the characters are in this show. And everything they do is so 'them'. I really liked that part where Kiku was practising and Sensei told him he doesnt need to be that perfect.
And I'm amazed yet again how well they show them doing rakugo!

Are we really getting a longer episode next week?
It's one of the very few shows that I wish were more than 24min per ep
We always think we have more time and that is the wrong way to think, because time is something we never have enough of.
---Lindy Zart, Unlit Star
Jan 29, 2016 5:22 PM

Dec 2010
Wow, this episode flew by so fast. The way this anime "seduce" me and "draw me in", to the point I lose track of time, seriously amazes me.
Sukeroku's rakugo is just wonderful, the voice actor is doing a great job.

Talking about the episode, I really don't like that woman Miyokichi. To me, it's pretty clear that she is Konatsu's mother, and if Kiku is not her father... not good, not good. I don't want Kiku and Shin's friendship to be broken by a stupid woman :(
Jan 29, 2016 5:59 PM

Feb 2015
Another great episode. I'm so glad a show like this is airing.
Jan 29, 2016 6:14 PM

Jun 2014
Man, WHY DON'T THEY MAKE MORE JOSEI ANIME ?!?!? This one is just pure GOLD. It is very unique. I am growing very fond of Rakugo especially when it is Sukeroku. I laughed a lot at the Rakugo in that episode. And MY GOD, Akira Ishida's voice is so calming and soothing. I love this anime a lot.
Jan 29, 2016 6:58 PM

Apr 2015
Shin's performance was great as usual and he seems to be doing fine. Miyokichi's an interesting character; wonder what she'll do, with her advances being unrequited for now.
Jan 29, 2016 7:29 PM
Jan 2016
Another really well done episode. Everything's executed beautifully in this anime in every episode. The director is truly exceptional.

Kella said:
Talking about the episode, I really don't like that woman Miyokichi. To me, it's pretty clear that she is Konatsu's mother, and if Kiku is not her father... not good, not good. I don't want Kiku and Shin's friendship to be broken by a stupid woman :(

I think that will be the case, though I am not sure how it will go there. I mean, why would Shin do that? Maybe she actually likes Shin & her being attracted to Bon is just an act.
Jan 29, 2016 8:15 PM

Jun 2013
Miyokichi doesn't seem like she's interested in Sukeroku but who knows what'll happen? If it's true that she's Konatsu's mom then something happened and probably that thing that happened caused a rift between Sukeroku and Yakumo.

Yakumo is such a chick magnet, he has looks, intelligence, finesse, etc. He's like a sophisticated version of those pretty boys you seei in Shoujo and Josei mangas.
臭い-
Jan 29, 2016 8:47 PM

Sep 2013
Miyokichi sure is one flirty woman. In real life I dont like this kinds of women, you know the aggressive type. They touch you in weird places and they think you like them just because you show them a bit of kindness. Well as of now, Im not really sure if Kiku will return her advances but I think it will be unrequitted after all. Shin will probably become the rebound guy.

animefan8800 said:
Do we know who Konatsu's mom is? I'm wondering if she ends up with Shin just knowing what we know about the future. Looks like we'll get to see the boys in geisha attire next week. :D

Its already obvious Miyokichi is Konatsu's mother. She's the only relevant female character in the two's lives. And the trailer pretty much spoiled that already.
AsianKungFuJan 29, 2016 9:22 PM
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jan 29, 2016 8:51 PM

Sep 2011
Man this episode was over before i knew it, this has consistently been one of the most enjoyable slice of life shows in a while and I hope it can keep it up or even get better cause its on the fast track to a 9/10

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 29, 2016 9:25 PM

Jun 2014
I honestly can't believe I was going to skip over this anime. I decided to check it out because I heard good things about it and boy am I glad I made that decision. Each episode has been fresh, funny, and captivating, and I'm always left wanting more every week.

Once again, Shin delivers a highly amusing rakugo performance. I loved the "samu-die" pun as well as the punch line at the end lol. Looks like Kiku and Miyokichi might become linked romantically, but seeing as how she's most likely Konatsu's mother, there will probably be some drama involving Shin at some point.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 29, 2016 9:39 PM

Jul 2011
TheServant said:
Kella said:

I think that will be the case, though I am not sure how it will go there. I mean, why would Shin do that? Maybe she actually likes Shin & her being attracted to Bon is just an act.

I'm surprised Bon seems to be taken by her... I don't particularly feel like Miyokichi is interested in Bon though, it does feel like an act.
Jan 29, 2016 10:03 PM

Aug 2012
This just gets better and better. Bon is such a good friend, and his inner conflict was executed so well. He was completely honest with Shin about Miyokichi from the start, even with such a small thing as her inviting him out. He knew Shin was interested so he did the right thing, but Shin didn't reciprocate. Despite that, Bon still held back knowing it might hurt Shin, well until the end it looks like..That was a brilliant depiction of falling to temptation btw.

Though I'm not completely sold on that he did bite, it could end up being a red herring and he held back after all, and then Miyokichi turns to Shin who will certainly not hold back, probably with no regards to Bon's feelings. I'm assuming the difference in how the two handled each other's feelings in the situation will be what creates the fissure. As lame as it sounds, if it's executed as subtly and genuinely as this episode built toward then it will be brilliant.
Jan 30, 2016 12:01 AM

Mar 2015
I am in love with this anime. Its one of my favorites so far
Jan 30, 2016 12:42 AM

Jan 2015
Barion-Zara said:

Nicenicenicenicenicenicenicenice.
Jan 30, 2016 1:24 AM

Jan 2014
Xenocrisi said:
Barion-Zara said:

Nicenicenicenicenicenicenicenice.

YES YES YES!!!
Can't wait >.<
Jan 30, 2016 1:51 AM
Jan 2015
This is a typical day in Rakugo. Well paced, character rich and the plot still moves on a pleasant speed.

I am also amused by the use of body language in this show. I mean, I have never seen such anime that capitalizes in it since OreGairu 2. Every stare thrown by Kikuhiko is meaningful.. and so with Shin-chan's.

Maybe not as emotionally compelling as the last three episodes but... I do not mind this rich exploration of every characters and depicting some crude aspects of Rakugo life in this show.

Again, I am still shamelessly advertising my blog: samui26.wordpress.com. If you have the time, you can visit it. Thanks and my apologies. :)
Jan 30, 2016 2:22 AM

Mar 2013
I love the rakugo performances so much; I could watch them all day. Shin's so funny and full of personality.

The preview made me cheer, though. As soon as I heard "dancing" in Kiku's past, I was wondering if it was the sort with crossdressing, especially since he's very slender and pretty-faced and could easily pass for a woman.
Jan 30, 2016 3:42 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I do not like this woman at all.

Shin's performance was pure class.

I love the ED.
Jan 30, 2016 4:12 AM

Apr 2013
Another great episode, and another great Rakugo performance. Really loving the character interactions and dialogue. Can't wait for the next ep!
Jan 30, 2016 4:21 AM

Jun 2011
Not sure if I like the character of Miyokichi and the direction the narrative seems to be taking vis-a-vis her interaction with Kikuhiko, when it's a given that she is Konatsu's mother. I'm concerned about the potential plot point of a love triangle in the scheme of things. Perhaps depending on its execution, it might as well turn out to be just fine. Let's see what the show has in store.

Speaking of which, I wonder when the show will be returning to the introductory frame narrative in the present involving Yotaro and Konatsu or if it plans to only expand upon Kikuhiko/Yakumo and Shin/Sukeroku's storyline. I like the current narrative set in the past and am eager to know more of what transpires in it, but I'm also curious about those two other characters outside this narrative. Judging by how elaborately the show drew upon Yotaro and Konatsu's storyline in the pilot, it doesn't seem likely that the show will simply drop it without going anywhere with it. Doing that would be sloppy. How the show goes about this is something to be seen.
Jan 30, 2016 5:30 AM

Sep 2015
Such a beautiful episode

I'm starting to like rakugo a lot more now :)
Jan 30, 2016 5:38 AM
Jan 2016
_Rika said:
Speaking of which, I wonder when the show will be returning to the introductory frame narrative in the present involving Yotaro and Konatsu or if it plans to only expand upon Kikuhiko/Yakumo and Shin/Sukeroku's storyline. I like the current narrative set in the past and am eager to know more of what transpires in it, but I'm also curious about those two other characters outside this narrative. Judging by how elaborately the show drew upon Yotaro and Konatsu's storyline in the pilot, it doesn't seem likely that the show will simply drop it without going anywhere with it. Doing that would be sloppy. How the show goes about this is something to be seen.

I wonder about that too. I hope they will not just abandon the present time until the very last episode(though I have a feeling it will be like that).
Jan 30, 2016 5:54 AM

Dec 2014
Loved the whole episode. In the end we got to see that as always girls mess up every thing
Jan 30, 2016 6:21 AM

Sep 2014
Unlike the other Anime this season, this Anime has been a great watch right from the beginning for me. Great characters, simple concept but great execution, brilliant atmosphere. And of course, the rakugo themselves. Just a really really good show. Easily the best this season for me. <3
Jan 30, 2016 6:48 AM

Feb 2012
I cant believe so many people like this overrated show
Jan 30, 2016 7:31 AM
Feb 2014
Saturate said:
I cant believe so many people like this overrated show

I'm really interested in why you think this is overrated. Don't just throw words without explaining it.
Jan 30, 2016 7:46 AM

Dec 2010
This show is really the surprising dark horse of this season.

This episode, in particular had me on the edge of my seat the whole time; the plot seems to be leading towards a big denouement that will change the lives of the main characters.

The characterization is possibly the best of all the shows this season- complex, nuanced and real personalities with their own aims, motivation and fears instead of the cardboard pastiche we normally get in anime.

We rarely seem to get mature, adult characters in anime so this show is a real treat.
Jan 30, 2016 10:08 AM

Dec 2015
I'm only watching this and Erased from this season.During the first two episodes I thought Erased would be easily the better of the two (even though I loved both),it seemed such a well crafted thriller.But then episodes 3 and 4 came and Rakugo Shinjuu obliterated Erased (which is still a great show).

Really,I'm struggling to find flaws in this one.The characters are so well portrayed and the show's attention to detail is just incredible and thus works wonderfully as a period drama.I really don't care so much for the "present" timeline.The Sukeroku/Kikuhiko dynamic is incredible.I can't get enough of them.
Jan 30, 2016 11:44 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The voice acting in this series is quite simply superb. The characterizations are top notch too.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

262 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
Feb 14, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

110 by itsagibbousmoon »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

196 by Abdullla_aah »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

134 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.