Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 28, 2016 4:26 PM

Jan 2016
I've only played Final Fantasy X.
There's a Square Enix flash sale going on in the PSN store, with lots of Final Fantasy games listed.

Aside from Final Fantasy 7. (waiting for the remake) Which Final Fantasy game would you recommend?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 28, 2016 4:30 PM

Dec 2011
Just play all of the mainline ones you can, including the original version of 7. The remake won't be out for years and is guaranteed to be vastly different from the original game.

I've heard Tactics is pretty good too.
Jan 28, 2016 4:39 PM

Nov 2012
I likde Ff Xiii very much.
Jan 28, 2016 4:49 PM

Jan 2016
IX - has a nice feel to it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2016 5:25 PM

Feb 2010
FF5
FF6
FF7
FF9
FF Tactics
Jan 28, 2016 5:39 PM

Jul 2012
There are no BAD Final Fantasy games. However I personally like XII. Its got a very strong world if anything.
Jan 28, 2016 6:10 PM

Jun 2011
FF8 is the best one.

Also
NightKraver said:
(waiting for the remake)

Just play the original.
NarmyJan 28, 2016 6:14 PM
Jan 28, 2016 6:19 PM

Nov 2011
FF 6 is considered the best. FF 2, and 13 are considered the worst. FF 9 is my favorite based on the characters.

Narmy said:
FF8 is the best one.

Also
NightKraver said:
(waiting for the remake)

Just play the original.

FF 8 is one of the more hated ones.

Battlechili said:
There are no BAD Final Fantasy games. However I personally like XII. Its got a very strong world if anything.

I agree it had a strong world and I loved the sidequests but it had really bland characters.
Jan 28, 2016 6:31 PM

Mar 2014
I'd say X-2, XII, VIII (X-2 is super good, a little different from the original, but still a lot of fun).
Jan 28, 2016 6:36 PM

Dec 2011
Waifu_Strangler said:
FF 6 is considered the best. FF 2, and 13 are considered the worst. FF 9 is my favorite based on the characters.

Narmy said:
FF8 is the best one.

Also

Just play the original.

Battlechili said:

I agree it had a strong world and I loved the sidequests but it had really bland characters.

By the way how's 7 going? Have you started playing it yet? Just curious.
Jan 28, 2016 6:37 PM

Nov 2011
dinesj21 said:
I'd say X-2, XII, VIII (X-2 is super good, a little different from the original, but still a lot of fun).

Ok seriously are you guys trolling him?
Jan 28, 2016 6:38 PM

Mar 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
dinesj21 said:

Nope. Dead serious. Personally, I liked them.
Jan 28, 2016 6:39 PM

Nov 2011
ExampleZ said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

By the way how's 7 going? Have you started playing it yet? Just curious.

Sorry haven't started it yet. I've been replaying Mother 3 atm. I'll make a thread when I start on it though.
Jan 28, 2016 6:40 PM

Nov 2011
dinesj21 said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Sorry if I came off as saying your wrong for liking those but it seems like it'd make sense to rec the most well received ones.
Jan 28, 2016 6:43 PM

Mar 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
dinesj21 said:

Sorry if I came off as saying your wrong for liking those but it seems like it'd make sense to rec the most well received ones.
It's no problem. True, they aren't as well known, but I'd say they're worth the time. They're something to try if you're into the other Final Fantasy games.
Jan 28, 2016 6:49 PM

Aug 2012
FF Tactics.
My second most favorite game of all times.
The 1.3 Insane Difficulty mod is also dope.
Jan 29, 2016 1:04 AM

Feb 2014
XII for PS2. The best in all categories except story and characters. Not to say they're not good, but there are other FF games that do those better.

IX for PS1.
yosimba2000Jan 29, 2016 1:09 AM
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jan 29, 2016 1:09 AM

Jan 2015
FF4
FF5
FF6
FF9
FFTactics.

Everything else is shit animu otaku tier gaming.
Jan 29, 2016 1:24 AM

Mar 2012
Vanisher said:
FF5
FF6
FF7
FF9
FF Tactics

You can't really go wrong with this list. FF5 is one of the more charming games on the list in regards to characters (REALLY, REALLY funny characters). It has by far and away the funniest moments of any FF game I've ever played.

FF6 probably has one of the better stories in regards to FF games and also has some pretty memorable characters (not to mention one of the more memorable villains in any of the games, aka. Kefka is a boss!).

FF7 is obviously a classic for a lot of reasons, but I don't think it would be a bad idea to play the original. For starters, knowing the "break neck" speed Square Enix works on games, expect a FF7 remake to come out in 2018 (or later) and who knows if it will capture the same charm as the original.

FF9 also has some of the most memorable characters out of the bunch and the interesting thing about FF9 is it was developed to be more of a callback to the sort of FF games Squaresoft used to develop before they started going all steampunk/futuristic. Each character is awesome and unique in their own way (except for Quina. She's fucking worthless outside of getting a few chuckles).

FF Tactics is one of the few strategy RPGs that I really enjoyed. It has a nice mix of traditional RPG elements mixed in with strategy. Zodiac Brave Story was awesome. I thought the story was one of the better parts of the game.
Jan 29, 2016 3:14 AM

Apr 2008
Narmy said:
FF8 is the best one.

(not sure if troll) Personally liked FF8, too. Sure it's not the best, but it doesn't deserve all the hate it's getting /inb4copiousamountofFF8sux

Tactics was a great run. Really liked the character design (done by Akihiko Yoshida) and the story.

You are afraid to die, and you're afraid to live. What a way to exist.
Neale Donald Walsch

Jan 29, 2016 3:45 AM

May 2015
I would suggest watch some gameplay on youtube to determine what you like the most
Jan 29, 2016 4:01 AM

Feb 2015
Every FF game from 4-10 is amazing.

Also don't wait for the remake, it probably won't come out in the next 10 years and it will most likely suck.
Jan 29, 2016 4:04 AM

Jun 2015
I'd recommend tactics, it has a game of thrones feel, and it has the best story in the ff series in my opinion.

FF6 is my favorite though, the characters, the story, the gameplay, the villians...

Although I do recommend to play all of them, all of them are great. I didn't enjoy 5 though.
Jan 29, 2016 4:17 AM
May 2009
FF9 was the one for me. The rest didn't appeal to me. Not really into the whole Sci-fi steampunk feel. The whole thing just felt really well made, and interesting.

FF8 Had an interesting premise with a school. but it just wasn't as interesting.
Jan 29, 2016 4:19 AM

Jun 2015
shintai88 said:
FF9 was the one for me. The rest didn't appeal to me. Not really into the whole Sci-fi steampunk feel. The whole thing just felt really well made, and interesting.

FF8 Had an interesting premise with a school. but it just wasn't as interesting.

If you liked the setting of ff9, you should definitely try tactics if you haven't already.
Jan 29, 2016 4:47 AM

Jul 2013
I enjoyed FFXII a lot. Majority of those who played it did not like it because of the changes in the battle system which I think was great. Also since you've played FFX I think you should play FFX-2 too
Jan 29, 2016 5:42 AM

Apr 2010
Final Fantasy VI it's a must play for sure. It's my favorite game from the series. VI was declared to have the most beautiful OST from the entire series. It also has the most memorable villain from the whole series (Kefka), well developed characters and the story is the best from the whole series (for me ofc).

A very memorable moment that none from the series attempted it before, or after.

So yeah, I'm quite the FFVI fanboy here lol

After that I recommend you try: XIII, XIII-2, X, X-2, IV, V, III, II & I (so you could see from where it started).

Personal favorite FF games of all time for me:

1. FF VI
2. FF X
3. FF XIII-2
4. FF IV
5. FF V

The only ones I didn't play yet is VIII (played trough it the 1st disc, and after that I lost my save....was way too lazy to start again), IX & XII. The online ones doesn't count for me, 'cuz MMOs are shit, and FF is all about single player experience.
Jan 29, 2016 6:20 AM

Dec 2011
Shirou- said:
Final Fantasy VI it's a must play for sure. It's my favorite game from the series. VI was declared to have the most beautiful OST from the entire series. It also has the most memorable villain from the whole series (Kefka), well developed characters and the story is the best from the whole series (for me ofc).

A very memorable moment that none from the series attempted it before, or after.

After that I recommend you try: XIII, XIII-2, X, X-2, IV, V, III, II & I (so you could see from where it started).

1. FF VI
2. FF X
3. FF XIII-2
4. FF IV
5. FF V

The only ones I didn't play yet is VIII (played trough it the 1st disc, and after that I lost my save....was way too lazy to start again), IX & XII. The online ones doesn't count for me, 'cuz MMOs are shit, and FF is all about single player experience.

But what about VII?
Jan 29, 2016 7:38 AM

Apr 2010
ExampleZ said:
Shirou- said:

1. FF VI
2. FF X
3. FF XIII-2
4. FF IV
5. FF V

But what about VII?

I did play it. But I didn't like it that much. I actually loved to bits FF VII Crisis Core, and hated 7. Way too overrated that game. If anything, it's prolly in the last spot for my fav FF games.
Jan 29, 2016 9:18 AM

Oct 2012
How about fuck all the "This FF (insert number) is waaay better" fanboy shit and just play all of them if you have the cash.

Yes. All of them. Even the spinoffs.

Jan 29, 2016 3:27 PM

Dec 2011
Shirou- said:
ExampleZ said:

But what about VII?

I did play it. But I didn't like it that much. I actually loved to bits FF VII Crisis Core, and hated 7. Way too overrated that game. If anything, it's prolly in the last spot for my fav FF games.

Well I honestly don't understand how you (or anyone else) could hate FF7 but at the same time love Crisis Core. In fact I adore FF7 (but I can admit it's not the best game even in its own series) but Crisis Core is one of the worst games I've ever played. I could go on full-blown rant right here and now on why it's a shitty game that sucks ass, but I doubt you or anyone else here cares so I won't.
Jan 29, 2016 3:30 PM

Aug 2014
6,7 and 9 are the must plays imo.

Tactics, 4 and 5 are some worth playing.

3 and 13 were kinda meh, and in general are some of the lesser liked ones.
Jan 29, 2016 3:47 PM

Apr 2010
ExampleZ said:
Well I honestly don't understand how you (or anyone else) could hate FF7 but at the same time love Crisis Core. In fact I adore FF7 (but I can admit it's not the best game even in its own series) but Crisis Core is one of the worst games I've ever played. I could go on full-blown rant right here and now on why it's a shitty game that sucks ass, but I doubt you or anyone else here cares so I won't.

Because different taste & opinions? (I'm being capt. obvious here)

It wasn't my taste. Characters were bland, villain bland and non-existent throughout the story. Heck the only character that I somewhat liked was an optional one (Vincent)

This kinda also sums up FF VII.
Shiro-Jan 29, 2016 3:51 PM
Jan 29, 2016 3:53 PM
Jul 2018
Battlechili said:
There are no BAD Final Fantasy games.
I'd actually go so far as to say most of them are bad. Mystic Quest is however a solid example of an indisputably bad FF game.

Some of my favorites:
FF I & II: Dawn of Souls
FF IV
FF VI
FF Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
FF Tactics
FF XIV: A Realm Reborn
Jan 29, 2016 3:54 PM

Dec 2011
Shirou- said:
ExampleZ said:

Because different taste & opinions? (I'm being capt. obvious here)

It wasn't my taste. Characters were bland, villain bland and non-existent throughout the story. Heck the only character that I somewhat liked was an optional one (Vincent)

Yet I'm to believe CC is any better? What with its one-note, underdeveloped Zack, walking plot device Angeal and pretentious faggot Genesis etc.
Jan 29, 2016 4:01 PM

Apr 2010
Like I said mate, different taste and opinions. For me Crisis Core is a masterpiece, while VII...not even close to a good game. Zack it's more fleshed out and has more personality then Cloud had in it's own, AC, and even Dissidia games (yup I played both PSP titles). Not saying VII it's bad, as a fact...I'm saying it's bad to me, because I didn't enjoy anything from the game.
Jan 29, 2016 4:06 PM

Dec 2011
Shirou- said:
Like I said mate, different taste and opinions. For me Crisis Core is a masterpiece, while VII...not even close to a good game. Zack it's more fleshed out and has more personality then Cloud had in it's own, AC, and even Dissidia games (yup I played both PSP titles). Not saying VII it's bad, as a fact...I'm saying it's bad to me, because I didn't enjoy anything from the game.

Yeah I know, I'm just curious as to how anyone can like CC but hate FF7. And I can see it's just bias, so whatever.
Jan 29, 2016 4:11 PM

Apr 2010
Same could be said about your statements, but alas, this is becoming into Crisis Core vs FF VII thread, and it always ends up with hate remarks in this kind of debate. Let's just respect each other's opinion and move on. Let other people make FF recommendations, not make them read our fanboy side defending what we like. Cheers mate.
Jan 29, 2016 4:22 PM

Jan 2013
Tactics. Don't get War of the Lions, the script went full retard.
Jan 29, 2016 4:25 PM

Jun 2011
TR-8RCaim said:

At least it doesn't have l i t t l e m o n e y.
Jan 29, 2016 8:49 PM

Aug 2015
Final Fantasy XII
Jan 30, 2016 3:22 PM

Jan 2016
Can only speak on behalf of the mainline ones after VIII, but for the most part, anything from VIII until XII, with the exception of XI, I would recommend.

Personally, did not enjoy the XIII trilogy as much, but if I had to choose one XIII-2.
there are many worlds, but they share the same sky — one sky, one destiny
Feb 1, 2016 5:58 PM

Mar 2008
Final Fantasy Tactics. Play the original not WotL, the dialogue is too distracting and everyone sounds similar because their tone is always this flowery Shakespearean dialect. Dialogue like "Animals have no God!" communicates the feeling and intent of the character better than "The Gods have no eyes for chattel" (which also doesn't reflect the character's brash, arrogant personality). Unless you're well versed in that sort of language and it communicates mood and meaning to you better, and in that case I hope you're working at your local Renaissance fair.

Also FF12.
Feb 2, 2016 3:10 AM

Jan 2014
In this order (meaning, my favorite at top):
- 7 (original, I heard the remake will change basic fight gameplay)

As you can see, I only like the ones with turn-based fights (except 10, which I found awful)
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Feb 2, 2016 3:16 AM

Dec 2011
Shiratori-san said:
In this order (meaning, my favorite at top):
- 7 (original, I heard the remake will change basic fight gameplay)

As you can see, I only like the ones with turn-based fights (except 10, which I found awful)

If anything you should play them in release order so you can see the graphical and possible gameplay improvements with each new sequel.
Feb 2, 2016 7:07 AM

Nov 2014
Ff Viii, ffix, ff-x, ff xi
Twelve, Nine and Ten was the ones I liked the most

Feb 2, 2016 4:49 PM
Sep 2015
play the original FF7 first before the remake comes out, personally I liked 7-12 but I play 10-12 the most.
Feb 4, 2016 1:58 AM

Jan 2016
Among those I played I'd suggest you FF 9. It's a more "traditional" RPG than FF 7, with a medieval-like setting and super-deformed style. Somebody, maybe accustomed to the new FFs, may not like it and call it old-fashioned, but personally I love this game. Moreover it has an excellent storyline, superb music (Nobuo Uematsu really outdid himself) and interesting and likeable characters! :)
Feb 4, 2016 2:12 AM

Jan 2015
You'll get answers all over the place because of broken base. Not sure if that helps you, IV, VI, IX are certainly good games/stories. VIII did about everything wrong you could do wrong and still people like it. Which just proves that it's mostly about personal preference.
Feb 4, 2016 2:16 AM

Jan 2013
Narmy said:
TR-8RCaim said:

At least it doesn't have l i t t l e m o n e y.
R e g a r d l e s s o f t h e s l o w t e x t s p e e d, t h o s e s c e n e s c o m e f e w a n d f a r b e t w e e n.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

31 by Timeline_man »»
3 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3719 by creepylurker »»
9 hours ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

49 by SwordBreaker36 »»
10 hours ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - Today

2 by SwordBreaker36 »»
10 hours ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

50 by Dumb »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.