Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 26, 2016 8:06 AM

Jan 2016
What do you guys think about Patreon and Kickstarters?

I see Patreon as a shameless way to basically beg online. If you can't support yourself from your own creative content, get a second job?

As for Kickstarters.. I'm not sure about it. I do see it as a great way to get the development of games funded that might otherwise not see the light of day. But I also see it as a great way to scam people out of their cash. How are the funds through Kickstarters legitimized for just game development?
Jan 26, 2016 8:19 AM

Nov 2011
I see nothing wrong with getting support from people who loves your works. Most of the time the lack of money is what stop us from doing what we love.

Jan 26, 2016 2:20 PM

Feb 2010
Kickstarter is good, it's just that a lot of people get scammed by false promises.

There are some great games that came out of kickstarter.
Jan 26, 2016 2:35 PM

Dec 2014
That is why choose the person you're giving money to carefully?

Jan 26, 2016 2:46 PM

May 2010
It can be good and it can be bad. I backed Bloodstained, and it could go to shit at some point. So far it's looking good but it's fairly early on, so only time will tell. The people behind it were already in the industry and have a proven track record, and reputations have been put on the line, and so, for a lot of people, it was a trustworthy investment.
Jan 26, 2016 2:53 PM

Jun 2013
Patreon kinda bothers me. Because it's like "Oh this guy is fun, let me give him some money every month" which is cool and all but most of the people that have patreons are people that do videos on YouTube for a living. I won't say it's not tedious, but it sure is not the hardest "job", if you can call it that.

As for kickstarter, I hate how they don't need to show updates on the game in developpment. A lot of good games have been "cancelled" because the founder ran with the money. Sure, you have perks if you donate a certain amount, however, I feel like updates should be sent to every single person who donated, to keep them informed. If not, your project is done, and people get refunded.
Jan 28, 2016 10:17 AM
Chu2byo

Apr 2013
Dont use patreon so dunno about that.

Kick starter I use quite often, I only back real devs, backed games like Shenmue 3, Muv Luv, Clannad, Narcissu and Libra of the VP. Other big games or mostly vns that look good, backed 20 or 30 projects probably, its a good idea since you can get physical and limited edition merch, directly support the dev and get a legit copy rather than pirate it and a grab an ENG patch.
PurplePantiesJan 28, 2016 1:21 PM
Jan 28, 2016 11:07 AM

May 2015
really don't care about either of them
Jan 28, 2016 11:35 AM

Mar 2011
NightKraver said:

I see Patreon as a shameless way to basically beg online. If you can't support yourself from your own creative content, get a second job?

Sigh.

Beggars are people who ask for money while giving nothing in return, and often causing negative feelings in the person they're asking

Artist and content creators are people who create something that matters to people called fans. Fans recieve something they want and it is expected they give something back, that can be money, emotionally positive communication, help... If it's within law, these two sides can choose whatever way they want to exchange their goods.

You could argue with people whose work you consume about how you don't like Patreon and encourage them to stop using it, but you have no reason to label creators who use it as beggars.
Jan 28, 2016 11:55 AM

Jan 2012
I am neutral.
Kickstarter can be used for good in the case where there is a start up company and they merely lack funds to make a game or product.

However when companies try to exploit this like Sekai Project who do this as a shameless way to advertise without almost any risk involved instead of allowing new players to enter the market.

The creators of Star Citizen who have gotten $105,189,806 and have pretty much blown the entire budget given to them , with no game release date in sight after a long time in development since end 2012.

Good Kickstarters like Oculus with their Rift which propelled the entire VR crave into full glory.

Project Eternity which was a good blast from the past with Baldurs Gate vibes and feel. Well done Obsidian.

Kickstarter is a good start up tool , however it is important for companies not to monopolize it and to use it as it was intended and to ensure that they CAN actually deliver the goals they set.
Jan 28, 2016 1:32 PM

Jan 2016
waaave said:
NightKraver said:

Sigh.

Beggars are people who ask for money while giving nothing in return, and often causing negative feelings in the person they're asking

Artist and content creators are people who create something that matters to people called fans. Fans recieve something they want and it is expected they give something back, that can be money, emotionally positive communication, help... If it's within law, these two sides can choose whatever way they want to exchange their goods.

You could argue with people whose work you consume about how you don't like Patreon and encourage them to stop using it, but you have no reason to label creators who use it as beggars.

You're already supporting these people by watching their videos and making them popular. They're already getting paid from YouTube and other sponsors.
Jan 28, 2016 3:01 PM

Mar 2011
NightKraver said:

You're already supporting these people by watching their videos and making them popular. They're already getting paid from YouTube and other sponsors.

Your contribution is really small if you're just watching a video. You've enjoyed something for five minutes, an hour, days and all you can give back is a cent? If you like a popular movie you've seen on TV or some other free source, you might want to buy a DVD. Isn't that similair to donating to content creators you like?

The click number model can only be sustainable by comforming to tastes of a broad audience and the money pool is very limited. I'd like to claim only top few percents can make a living out of it but I don't have any sources to back me up so I can't.

There are people (not me) who find something special and forge stronger bonds with creators and other fans, forming a relatively small community. That connection brings them original content, emotional rewards, frendship, etc. that they couldn't get from just any random popular source. And it's geared toward them, they're getting exactely what they want. This stuff rarely atract large groups of people and the only way for it to continue is for the fans to give back a lot more than average consumer. These people will be happy to pay in any kind of way. Kickstarter and all other similair models are great for these kind of people.

And just like how views earn someone money, so can words create a negative effect in society. Labeling artist who ask for money via untraditional means as beggars is widely spread in our culture and it effects new artists. A lot of them are afraid to ask for money from their consumers because they fear of it looking like begging. It's a big obstacle for any indie artist, you need to ask shamelessly for people to invest in you or you won't succeed. And I really don't think that is the same as yelling on the street "have mercy, I have five hungry children at home, curse you, you cheap bastard."
waaaveJan 28, 2016 3:10 PM
Jan 28, 2016 3:30 PM

Oct 2012
NightKraver said:

As for Kickstarters.. I'm not sure about it. I do see it as a great way to get the development of games funded that might otherwise not see the light of day. But I also see it as a great way to scam people out of their cash. How are the funds through Kickstarters legitimized for just game development?

Patreon is fine, if people want to support content creators by tossing a dollar+ a month to them, then its up to the consumer whether or not they want to donate or not. Creating Quality content on places like Youtube actually takes time and effort and especially people with niche fanbases, they're not going to be able to get by on just the ad revenue alone considering how widespread adblockers are. Atleast things like Patreon allow for them to somewhat normalize their income and as long as they're delivering what they're promising, its fine. If they start slacking off for no good reason, then you just cancel your payment to them.

Kickstarter, Its something i have a love/hate relationship for. On one hand, its a good way to gather additional funding for a niche project, and it helps get some things that might have never otherwise seen the light of day into the hands of the consumer. On the other hand, i see it often abused for things that probably shouldn't even need a kickstarter (I'm looking at you, SekaiProject). I mean, I know they just want to get dat free preorder money but they should be big enough boys to take some risks and they shouldn't need to "Pre-fund" every project.

NightKraver said:

Not every one has millions of subs to fall back on. You do realize how unstable YT monetization income is, right? Not saying there isn't content creators out there that abuse the system so to speak, but there are really good channels out there that actually deserve a stable income if it means they can push out more videos for their fans.

It just sounds to me that you're bitter that these guys aren't doing as much work as you think they should so they should be grinding away at a shitty 9-5 job just like you or something.
FontSize72LOLJan 28, 2016 3:36 PM
Jan 28, 2016 4:01 PM

Jan 2016
Pateron is set up as a monthly, or per video/project payment from my understanding.

If you feel comfortable giving around 2$ per video, 10$ a month for content you'd otherwise get free that's your decision.

But when these same people are already bringing in $3000.00 + a month from YouTube revenue and sponsorships, they already have a liveable wage.

I'm perfectly fine with one time donations for a specific project someone created, game or digital music CD, but paying monthly? You've got to be joking.

You're a fan not their employer.
Jan 28, 2016 4:15 PM

Jan 2016
FontSize72LOL said:
NightKraver said:

Patreon is fine, if people want to support content creators by tossing a dollar+ a month to them, then its up to the consumer whether or not they want to donate or not. Creating Quality content on places like Youtube actually takes time and effort and especially people with niche fanbases, they're not going to be able to get by on just the ad revenue alone considering how widespread adblockers are. Atleast things like Patreon allow for them to somewhat normalize their income and as long as they're delivering what they're promising, its fine. If they start slacking off for no good reason, then you just cancel your payment to them.

Kickstarter, Its something i have a love/hate relationship for. On one hand, its a good way to gather additional funding for a niche project, and it helps get some things that might have never otherwise seen the light of day into the hands of the consumer. On the other hand, i see it often abused for things that probably shouldn't even need a kickstarter (I'm looking at you, SekaiProject). I mean, I know they just want to get dat free preorder money but they should be big enough boys to take some risks and they shouldn't need to "Pre-fund" every project.

NightKraver said:

Not every one has millions of subs to fall back on. You do realize how unstable YT monetization income is, right? Not saying there isn't content creators out there that abuse the system so to speak, but there are really good channels out there that actually deserve a stable income if it means they can push out more videos for their fans.

It just sounds to me that you're bitter that these guys aren't doing as much work as you think they should so they should be grinding away at a shitty 9-5 job just like you or something.

This is a debate/opinion/ discussion topic. There is no need to personally attack me so mind your manners please.
Jan 28, 2016 4:26 PM

Oct 2012
NightKraver said:
Pateron is set up as a monthly, or per video/project payment from my understanding.

If you feel comfortable giving around 2$ per video, 10$ a month for content you'd otherwise get free that's your decision.

But when these same people are already bringing in $3000.00 + a month from YouTube revenue and sponsorships, they already have a liveable wage.

I'm perfectly fine with one time donations for a specific project someone created, game or digital music CD, but paying monthly? You've got to be joking.

You're a fan not their employer.

Again, how does this affect you in the slightest if other people want to pay for the entertainment they enjoy? Considering what we pay other entertainers in other fields (Musicians, Actors, Professional Athletes, etc) Someone who spends a good amount of time making content that people want, how is that any different? Is it because they're not some kind of "Celebrity" or something?

Look i get you, there are people out there that literally get an insane amount of money for practically nothing because they're appealing to some niche that a particular group of people circlejerk for. I'm not saying these people don't exist, and i don't disagree that those said people are some of the biggest pieces of shit in the first world. However, its still the right of the people supporting those "people" whether or not they feel their money is justified, well spent, etc. If they didn't feel like they were getting their money's worth, I'm sure they'd just unsubscribe.

3k+ a month is definitely a living wage, I live on much less than that myself. However, it also depends on WHERE you live. If you're a content creator in NYC, 3k/mo is probably just enough to get by considering the cost of living there is fucking absurd. So take that into consideration too, and again i should re-iterate, that YT monetization isn't stable income.
Jan 28, 2016 5:45 PM

Jan 2016
It doesn't effect me and I'm not sure why you think it would. I've never said anything of the sort. I pretty much stand by my original post.
Jan 28, 2016 6:43 PM

Nov 2014
Kickstarter is a scam in 90% of the cases.

May 20, 2016 5:37 AM

Mar 2009
waaave said:
NightKraver said:

Sigh.

I agree with waaave.

I'll add though, there are some people who are disabled, in one way or an other, on Patreon. They CAN'T hold a job, a normal one, as it was put.
I just joined under my real name. I am disabled. I have tried and can not work. Tried it numerous times. Usually ended up bed bound in agony or unable to walk.
My doctor said I shouldn't get a normal job, because I'm likely to end up like my mom (she's in a wheel chair). I have inheritedall of her conditions. One of which is the disintegrating of the spinal cord. I'm in the early stages.
I can't hold a normal job. But I am a trained artist. I can do that (when I have days where I'm not unable to move). I also faint. My heart stops, and I faint with no warning.
I can no longer even hope to get a job.
That's not all that's wrong with my body, hindering my ability to work. But this thread isn't about this, nor am I looking for pitty or sympathy. So I'll stop with the two conditions that I mentioned.

Anyone who is being so rude about it, should read the requirements for the creators, watch their YouTube vids about it. I have yet to make anything off of it (I've only been there a few days).
And I agree. There are people on there who should not be.
That's only a few of them, though.
Also, not everyone there makes money on YT. I'm a fine artist and jewelry designer. Starting out.

However, there are people on there, who dont belong.
But don't lump us all together and come across as if you think were all scum (which is the impression I got from NightKraver's comments).
Just because your too narrowminded or too insensitive to even fully look into it.
I assume, anyway.

Its not like were threatening people. Just saying, if they like what we do, then maybe they would like to help, in return for a gift.
Somewhat like an invester in a large company.

Don't lump us all together as beggars, just because a few don't belong there, or because you have a narrow minded view on it. That's just rude.
Also, please keep in mind, its not easy to get jobs, the economy isnt the best.
On top of that, its not easy to get art noticed these days.
windeen-windyMay 21, 2016 11:15 PM
May 20, 2016 12:22 PM

Mar 2009
NightKraver said:
FontSize72LOL said:

This is a debate/opinion/ discussion topic. There is no need to personally attack me so mind your manners please.
NightKraver said:
It doesn't effect me and I'm not sure why you think it would. I've never said anything of the sort. I pretty much stand by my original post.

That first comment post, that your insisting you stand by, made us(artists/creators) out to be beggars who are freeloading off of charity. And that's not the case.

We offer gifts/rewards, that are in return for what is donated.

Also, I struggled long and hard with the ethics of using them. But, after extensive research, I learned that it was fine and now here you are, labeling us all as beggars.
Not everyone on that site is making you tube videos. There's even anime fan artists on there. Who, in my opinion, don't need to be.

Your comments were made carelessly, and without enough info about Patron.
Its one donation a month, in the majority of the cases, with there being amount levels. The more a person donates, the better the reward/gift that they will receive.

In the case of music or tutorials, its possible that those creators might be doing the $1-$2 per song(or tutorial) rout (or however you put it) but it seems to me that you didn't really look into it that well before choosing to believe that we are all lazy and scam artists.
Which, is the impression I got, from what you said.
I can only assume that you haven't properly researched what your complaining about because you keep going on about you tube videos. When that is not all that is there.

Would you rather that people who are unable to work(for one reason or another), just sit on their hands and take the charity that the governments provide? Likely using your tax money to provide it? People like that (willing to take it without trying to see if they are able to get a job), they won't want to try and help themselves. In most cases, they are happy to take what's given to them, they see it as their due and would get mad if they were told it was not.

Or would you rather them doing this:?
Asking for help, working to maintain their presence and keep their supporters happy, and giving them things in return for the provided support?

Which would you prefer?
You were so uninformed, when you started this thread, and were personally attacking us, the creators, that I see no issue with your being personally attacked here.
That's what you get for jumping to conclusions and stating opinions without properly looking up what you were complaining about.

Your able to personally insult a group of people in a place that, most on there may not know about, yet, would you say it to their faces? Do you even know that aside from you tube video makers, there are:
Fine artists
Comic artists
Music artists
Bloggers
Wanna be reporters
There are jewelry artists
Sculptors.
Writers of all kinds
Game creators
Animated series creators
And likely more.

One artist paints with phosphorescent paint. Beautiful paintings when in the dark.
There's one artist trying to make an animated fan series from the old N64 game: Star Fox
The voice actress, Amanda Lee is on there for her music.

I don't care about your opinion. You wanna show how uninformed you can be, that's no skin off of my nose. But I do care about your insulting us, the creators. You may not care about what your careless words do. But as the other posters said, you are negatively affecting us.

Your placing a stigma on the whole site and spreading an uninformed and hurtful thought, in the minds of anyone else, who likre you, is obviously too lazy to properly look up your subject matter's information.
windeen-windyMay 20, 2016 12:30 PM
May 20, 2016 12:38 PM

Sep 2014
I think it's a great invention, people have no problem giving their money to big corporations, but when some regular person just wants to be able to support himself/herself and be able to focus exclusively on their art instead of using their time and effort for a job that they don't like, people get up in arms.

If you don't like what they do, or simply don't like the idea of patreon/kickstart, the answer is simple. Don't give them any of your money. You don't have to donate. Rational people are able to decide for themselves how they may spend their money.
May 20, 2016 1:27 PM

Feb 2016
@windeen-windy

Did you really just necro a couple month old thread and complain about the OP being sensitive and insulting? You see the irony right?

Gofundme and pateron pages have been on a steep rise for quite a while now. If someone likes your content and wants to donate that's cool but your art should be able to sell itself. Branding and merchandise please. However a fool and his money are easily parted. There are so many scams out there that take advantage of good natured people.
May 20, 2016 11:43 PM

Mar 2009
SaturdayKrush said:
@windeen-windy

Did you really just necro a couple month old thread and complain about the OP being sensitive and insulting? You see the irony right?

Gofundme and pateron pages have been on a steep rise for quite a while now. If someone likes your content and wants to donate that's cool but your art should be able to sell itself. Branding and merchandise please. However a fool and his money are easily parted. There are so many scams out there that take advantage of good natured people.

Yes I did. And yes I do.
And, I don't really care.

If a thread isn't closed and it's under a year since the last post, I see nothing wrong with it.
Also, I was too po'ed when I read that first post, that I didn't look at the date until after I said my peace.

I just found this thread and I felt that as a member of patreon, I should point out how I'll informed that user was.

In case anyone else stumbled across it.

My point wasn't how insensitive he was.

It was about how stupid and baseless those comments had been, and to point out that its not only used for you tube.
People have no business insulting a whole group of people, unless they fully know what they are taking about.

By the way, on patreon, it's not impossible. But, also, not too easy to scam people.

If the creator doesn't send out whatever they had promised, then they will be reported to the site. Its not like kick starter, where you have to wait for the campaign (or whatever) to be done. Each donation has to receive whatever was promised, within a timely manner.

windeen-windyMay 20, 2016 11:47 PM
May 21, 2016 7:57 AM
Chu2byo

Apr 2013
I think there is a lot of shit on both of them and that they should tighten the restrictions on what you can ask for and what the project is on kick starter and delete people with flex funding ebegging patreon's asking for this months rent or whatever.

They are both great ideas for a site, I have bought a few visual novels that were on kickstarter purely for a English translation and received all sorts of limited edition stuff with them as well as got other exclusive backer items. Patreon I think allows creators to interact with their more active fans, I know a few patreons where people who donate can come on their show, get shout-outs and have patreon private live shows where they chat with them and have a good time, I've even see it be use to fund IRL meetups.
May 21, 2016 8:29 AM

Nov 2008
I have no issue with KS if it's something that has a chance of coming into fruition (GCW Zero which I have 2 of and Shantae 1/2 Genie hero). The issue is you have money grubbers like Inafune and shit business partners who make off with the money faster than Madoff that are tarnishing the name of Kickstarter.

May 21, 2016 1:38 PM
May 21, 2016 11:36 PM

Mar 2009
SaturdayKrush said:
Remember this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_Toby

Never saw that before... But that's got nothing to do with Patreon. I dont know anything much about Kickstarter. Just that if you dont reach your goal, you get nothing. And the donators dont get anything unless the goal is met, as well.
So, I don't really care about that. All I care about was that people associated with Patreon, were being insultd. And the fact that only youtube was being mentioned as an "art form" on there.
If you don't come through with what your promising on patreon, you get in trouble.
And get no money, from what I understand.
I would like to know if any scams had been reported for Patreon?
I haven't been able to find anything on if there have been. But I'm not too sure if I'm searching the right keywords.
May 22, 2016 2:02 AM

Feb 2016
windeen-windy said:
SaturdayKrush said:
Remember this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_Toby

Never saw that before... But that's got nothing to do with Patreon. I dont know anything much about Kickstarter. Just that if you dont reach your goal, you get nothing. And the donators dont get anything unless the goal is met, as well.
So, I don't really care about that. All I care about was that people associated with Patreon, were being insultd. And the fact that only youtube was being mentioned as an "art form" on there.
If you don't come through with what your promising on patreon, you get in trouble.
I haven't been able to find anything on if there have been. But I'm not too sure if I'm searching the right keywords.

What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? Look at this guy for example. He's 100% honest about it. I admire him for not making bullshit paywalls so users give him more money. That's what rubs me the wrong way about patreon. If i'm a fan of yours and frequently watch your videos, please don't hit me with a 30$ paywall for some exclusive video content bullshit. People get REALLY greedy with something thats suppose to be a tip jar.
https://www.patreon.com/boogie2988?ty=h
May 22, 2016 7:44 PM

Jan 2016
The only Kickstarter that I've ever supported was Town of Salem. Other than that, I don't really care too much for things like that.
May 23, 2016 1:11 AM

Mar 2015
I'd support a project it it involved bringing Sen no Kiseki to PC :V
May 23, 2016 2:26 AM

Mar 2009
To the user who pm'ed me (leaving your name out): I'm not telling you how to find me there. I want to keep my real name and business separate from my windeen persona.
As windeen I can be myself without worry of backlash to my business name.

That being said, I couldn't not address this thread.

PurplePanties said:
I think there is a lot of shit on both of them and that they should tighten the restrictions on what you can ask for and what the project is on kick starter and delete people with flex funding ebegging patreon's asking for this months rent or whatever.

They are both great ideas for a site, I have bought a few visual novels that were on kickstarter purely for a English translation and received all sorts of limited edition stuff with them as well as got other exclusive backer items. Patreon I think allows creators to interact with their more active fans, I know a few patreons where people who donate can come on their show, get shout-outs and have patreon private live shows where they chat with them and have a good time, I've even see it be use to fund IRL meetups.

Agreed, there.

SaturdayKrush said:
windeen-windy said:

What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? Look at this guy for example. He's 100% honest about it. I admire him for not making bullshit paywalls so users give him more money. That's what rubs me the wrong way about patreon. If i'm a fan of yours and frequently watch your videos, please don't hit me with a 30$ paywall for some exclusive video content bullshit. People get REALLY greedy with something thats suppose to be a tip jar.

Those price tiers are bull. If you want money, offer something in return.

He just wants his bills paid, that's not producing content. He sure as hell doesn't
belong on Patreon. He needs go fund me, or something.
Anyway, I agree with you about you tube content on patron.

But, In this case, no.

A spade is not a spade. If the spade is: referring to us in insulting ways, that, for the majority of us, is untrue and unfounded.
We were all labeled as beggars, and it was strongly insinuated that were all lazy, to boot.

And, every website has their freaks.
He's not promising anything, so, he can't get in trouble for not delivering.
Actually, he's so strange, that he seems like a scam account that was made just to make patreon users look bad.

I'm amazed that he's been getting any donations.

Most users offer things of value that they create, in return for the donations.
He obviously has no brain or sense. He's an embarrassment to disabled people who are trying to support themselves, rather than rely on disability income.
He's an embarrassment to users who are serious, and careful about how they do things, on Patreon.
In fact, I'm going to see if I can complain about him.

Also, as I've said before. There are more than YouTube creators on there.
Personally, I'm tired of hearing about people who make things on you tube (unless its music or instructional in some way), the majority of them don't belong on patreon.
But I don't believe that they make up the majority of Patreon creators.
May 23, 2016 7:39 AM

Feb 2016
windeen-windy said:
To the user who pm'ed me (leaving your name out): I'm not telling you how to find me there. I want to keep my real name and business separate from my windeen persona.
As windeen I can be myself without worry of backlash to my business name.

That being said, I couldn't not address this thread.

PurplePanties said:

Agreed, there.

SaturdayKrush said:

Those price tiers are bull. If you want money, offer something in return.

He just wants his bills paid, that's not producing content. He sure as hell doesn't
belong on Patreon. He needs go fund me, or something.
Anyway, I agree with you about you tube content on patron.

But, In this case, no.

A spade is not a spade. If the spade is: referring to us in insulting ways, that, for the majority of us, is untrue and unfounded.
We were all labeled as beggars, and it was strongly insinuated that were all lazy, to boot.

And, every website has their freaks.
He's not promising anything, so, he can't get in trouble for not delivering.
Actually, he's so strange, that he seems like a scam account that was made just to make patreon users look bad.

I'm amazed that he's been getting any donations.

Most users offer things of value that they create, in return for the donations.
He obviously has no brain or sense. He's an embarrassment to disabled people who are trying to support themselves, rather than rely on disability income.
He's an embarrassment to users who are serious, and careful about how they do things, on Patreon.
In fact, I'm going to see if I can complain about him.

Also, as I've said before. There are more than YouTube creators on there.
Personally, I'm tired of hearing about people who make things on you tube (unless its music or instructional in some way), the majority of them don't belong on patreon.
But I don't believe that they make up the majority of Patreon creators.

Well, He creates content via youtube and streaming. He doesn't accept sponsorships of any kind. His patreon is for additional support for people that feel generous. You get the same experience whether you donate or not.
Technically its asking for a handout, but the guys hardly evil. I looked on Patreon and what some people charge is hardly worth the money.

For example:
https://www.patreon.com/savingpets?ty=h
20$ gives you access to a community page. Wtf?

https://www.patreon.com/EasyAllies?ty=h
20$ a month and you can ask them questions. Whoa.. Are they serious?

However these people:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/milestone-4115151
10$ ya get a signed CD, MP3 access and some random art piece.

https://www.patreon.com/neobliviscaris?ty=h
75$ a month you can meet the band, and have stage access along with free tickets every month, have dinner with them whenever they come to your town, they will talk to you on skype with their updates. Signed pair of drum sticks, a tshirt, lanyard and some free merchandise every 6 months.

I feel like some people legitimately and go out of their way to make you feel valued for the support. While others just slap on a paywall and push out half baked bullshit.

I can definitely see both sides and why someone would group some of them into a beggar category.
May 24, 2016 1:15 AM

Jul 2011
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/udoo/udoo-x86-the-most-powerful-maker-board-ever

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
May 27, 2016 2:22 AM

Mar 2009

At least you can see both sides. And I agree with you. Those inflated ones were really nasty..
That's why I thought long and hard. My final tier ($50+) gives numerous things (about 4-6)... But it also gives a 10% discount on my website. With no expiration date.

People really need to put thought into what they are willing to offer and what they can actually offer. I saw one artist who was disabled in some way.
And he was offering everything he did and had... For only a few dollars. I asked 5 people if they thought what i was offering was fair.

If they thought it was, or if it was too much, or too little, they told me.
I can offer a lot, with it not being detrimental to me, even on the lower $1 and up, because i do 4 different things. I can also see where that assumption could be made.

I just wanted to point out, that that was a narrow minded and uneducated (that is to say, that user saw a few things, likely read nothing about it or how its run, and based his assumption on that) way to classify a group of people.

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

45 by RobertsahDHDA »»
2 hours ago

» Rarest/Coolest gaming related things you own.

SnipeStrike - 4 hours ago

3 by Theo1899 »»
2 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3503 by DesuMaiden »»
6 hours ago

» What's a hated game that you actually enjoyed?

SnipeStrike - Apr 13

26 by Theo1899 »»
Today, 1:21 AM

» Sega's Golden Axe video games series gets a cartoon adaptation

tchitchouan - Apr 17

2 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 3:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.