Forum Settings
Forums

When did the right-to-left manga format start?

New
Jan 25, 2016 8:19 PM

Aug 2014
I know that there's a lot of right-to-left manga nowadays, but can someone tell me when did the right-to-left manga format start? Or when did the left-to-right manga format end?

I'm asking you this since I want to know how I read a manga immediately just by knowing when it was published. It becomes quite confusing when you just know how to read the manga until you are in the middle of it. Thanks in advance :3
sup
Jan 25, 2016 8:23 PM
Jan 2013
*PrettyEdited*

*Something about companies mirroring their releases to make it left --> right wateva*
MkimJan 25, 2016 8:30 PM
gone bai bai
Jan 25, 2016 8:25 PM

Jan 2011
Err, it's always been right to left. English publishers used to flip them left to right though. If that's what you're asking about, I think it stopped around the mid 00s.
Jan 25, 2016 8:26 PM
Jan 2013
Wait, actually, never mind what I said, I think I'm derping hard here
gone bai bai
Jan 25, 2016 8:27 PM

Aug 2014
Mkim said:
keimaconquesta said:
I know that there's a lot of right-to-left manga nowadays
There are? I rarely meet those, unless they're manwhas or scans of official american releases where they mirrored the images to make it right-left (I believe the Ashita no Joe I got was like that)
I mean the ones in the net. I'll change my question then...

"When did the right-to-left format in the net started/When did the left-to-right format in the net started?"
sup
Jan 25, 2016 8:45 PM
Jan 2013
keimaconquesta said:
Mkim said:
There are? I rarely meet those, unless they're manwhas or scans of official american releases where they mirrored the images to make it right-left (I believe the Ashita no Joe I got was like that)
I mean the ones in the net. I'll change my question then...

"When did the right-to-left format in the net started/When did the left-to-right format in the net started?"
I presume you're saying something like, "Doumu", that you just read.

Well, the scans I can find on the net are direct scans from the english release, which looks like it was issued on 1995, so ReaperCreeper's information stands.

It seems Dark Horse (That released Doumu) does that with some of the stuff they release
gone bai bai
Jan 25, 2016 11:19 PM

Dec 2008
From what I remember when I first started getting into reading manga in the '90s, it wasn't until later on that Tokyopop in the USA started releasing manga in right-to-left. One of the first series I bought was Cardcaptor Sakura and while the first six volumes were initially released left-to-right, the final six volumes were released right-to-left. I remember getting confused at first, but it took no time at all. More and more releases started coming out that way ever since.

According to Amazon.com, the 1st volume of Cardcaptor Sakura in left-to-right format was March 1, 2000. The 7th volume of Cardcaptor Sakura was August 20, 2002. Later on, Tokyopop rereleased Cardcaptor Sakura entirely in the traditional right-to-left format.

So most USA publishing groups seemed to stop publishing their left-to-right translations in the early 2000's, from what I understand, and if that's what you mean.

EDIT: Also, some more trivia: Tokyopop's authentic manga background according to Wikipedia.
CardcaptorKittyJan 25, 2016 11:28 PM

More topics from this board

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

149 by Armandoriel »»
38 minutes ago

» When will be the next chapter of One punch Man released ?

MagrMal - 7 hours ago

0 by MagrMal »»
7 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

21 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:55 PM

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

52 by Luxology »»
Yesterday, 5:40 PM

» Ur fav manga

Aoust_Adenca - Mar 10, 2023

21 by eatyourgreenz »»
Yesterday, 2:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.