Forum Settings
Forums

What makes psychological anime so 'psychological'?

New
Jan 24, 2016 5:07 AM

Nov 2015
I can't point out any individual elements that mark a psychological anime from any other but how do you write this stuff?

I've seen a lot of shows that are unintentionally psychological (and end up a pile of offensive trash) and if you try to think about it, they aren't much different than any other bad anime..

As for the ones that are meant to be psychological, I don't get it..
Why do stuff like NHK and watamote feel so different than any other romance, drama or slice of life anime?
Gesu-Jan 24, 2016 5:31 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 24, 2016 5:09 AM

Sep 2009
The idea of psychological is to put the MC into a situation that is emotionally taxing, and have the viewer experience this vicariously.
How to do it... Same as anything, really. Just put in enough detail to make it more convincing and feel "real."
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 24, 2016 5:13 AM

Mar 2010
Emphasis on the psychology of the characters rather than the plot and unstable emotional states. Watamote is frequently in the head of its protagonist and focuses on how her mind twists the situations she's in due to her insecurities. It's not something that's labeled as "psychological", though.

What shows are unintentionally psychological?
TonyThemeJan 24, 2016 5:16 AM
Jan 24, 2016 5:17 AM

Feb 2010
MortalMelancholy said:
The idea of psychological is to put the MC into a situation that is emotionally taxing, and have the viewer experience this vicariously.
How to do it... Same as anything, really. Just put in enough detail to make it more convincing and feel "real."

Not really. It's more about the show focusing on the psychology of its characters and giving us insight into what happens in their head instead of just following them around and showing us what they do. You'll typically see a lot of inner monologues and sometimes there won't even be any secondary characters because all the show needs is the one MC and what's happening inside their head. There just happen to be a lot of psychological works that are set in some kind of extreme situation since those scenarios lend themselves to generating interesting inner conflicts, but there's also psychological shows in very mundane settings.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 24, 2016 5:21 AM

Nov 2015
TonyTheme said:

This is actually subjective as different anime affect people in different ways but to me Baka to test and Bokusatsu Tenshi dokuro-chan made me feel shitty inside..

Pullman said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Not really. It's more about the show focusing on the psychology of its characters and giving us insight into what happens in their head instead of just following them around and showing us what they do. You'll typically see a lot of inner monologues and sometimes there won't even be any secondary characters because all the show needs is the one MC and what's happening inside their head. There just happen to be a lot of psychological works that are set in some kind of extreme situation since those scenarios lend themselves to generating interesting inner conflicts, but there's also psychological shows in very mundane settings.

There are a lot of shows that have extensive internal monologue (Steins;Gate, Shigatsu) but aren't really psychological while stuff like shinsekai yori gives absolutely no insight into the MCs head whatsoever and yet has that 'psychological' tag attached to it..

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
ShockedJan 24, 2016 10:48 AM
Jan 24, 2016 5:42 AM

Mar 2010
4blaze2it0 said:
This is actually subjective as different anime affect people in different ways but to me Baka to test and Bokusatsu Tenshi dokuro-chan made me feel shitty inside..
This is true, but I think something like a work's genre is separate from your subjective experience. A melodrama centering around a small family with a ongoing war in the background may be unintentionally hilarious, but it still isn't a comedy. It's like how The Room's director tried to retroactively portray the movie as a comedy after its panning.

4blaze2it0 said:
There are a lot of shows that have extensive internal monologue (Steins;Gate, Shigatsu) but aren't really psychological while stuff like shinsekai yori gives absolutely no insight into the MCs head whatsoever and yet has that 'psychological' tag attached to it..
Do the extensive internal monologues touch on deep seated insecurities or fears that warp situations and influence the character's actions? Are these states of mind the narrative thrust? Or are they more about conveying thoughts that reflect the current situation they're in?

I think that tag for Shinsekai Yori is misplaced.
Jan 24, 2016 5:46 AM

May 2015
a psychological anime is psychological if it really affect your mind .

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Jan 24, 2016 6:04 AM
Sep 2014
Probably because ppl who publish those animes don't even know what genre they should use. Psychological animes are those who manage to make really unique and interesting characters whose minds develop and change during the series. Be it for better or worse. It doesn't even have to be realistic. Madoka Magica, Elfen Lied, Evangelion, NHK etc deserve this genre, while gakkou gurashi is a load of shit(autistic, kawaii-pretty looking girl in a zombie world-yea right).

And I also wonder why Berserk and Fate Zero don't have this tag? Maybe Drama goes well with psychology while supernatural doesn't?
Jan 24, 2016 6:05 AM

Nov 2015
EvaLainGalaxy said:
If the anime centers on the PSYCHOLOGY of his characters, then it's a PSYCHOLOGICAL anime...Seriously it was too hard to figure out?

You can't act too smart when you can't get the definition right m8..

EvaLainGalaxy said:
4blaze2it0 said:

You can't act too smart when you can't get the definition right m8..

So the PSYCHOLOGICAL anime aren't PSYCHOLOGICAL because they center on the PSYCHOLOGY of his characters?

Its easy to be a snarky dick but it's obviously much harder to actually read the 9 post long thread and comprehend what kind of a discussion we're actually having..

ShockedJan 24, 2016 10:49 AM
Jan 24, 2016 6:22 AM

Aug 2008
Here are top psychological anime according to MAL rating.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/40

Never thought Death Note is a psychological anime.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jan 24, 2016 6:25 AM
Nov 2014
Zapredon said:

In that TOP there are series like: Elfen Lied, Mirai Nikki, Psycho-Pass, Tokyo Ghoul, Higurashi and Madoka Magica...
Conclusion: MAL is PLEB.
Jan 24, 2016 6:30 AM

Nov 2015
Zapredon said:

There are a lot of anime in there that aren't psychological..
I don't see how Tokyo Ghoul is anyway.
I guess it owes to the fact that the definition of psychological itself is pretty loose..
Jan 24, 2016 7:35 AM

Feb 2013
Zapredon said:

the mal definition is..
Psychological - Often when two or more characters prey each others' minds, either by playing deceptive games with the other or by merely trying to demolish the other's mental state.

http://myanimelist.net/info.php?go=genre
Jan 24, 2016 7:40 AM

May 2012
Psychology is the study of human behavior and mental processes. Psychological anime usually go more indepth about the reasons why characters behave in a certain way. The anime usually goes into the thoughts and beliefs of the characters.
Jan 24, 2016 8:26 AM

Oct 2010
4blaze2it0 said:
Why do stuff like NHK and watamote feel so different than any other romance, drama or slice of life anime?

It's because a big deal of them happens in the realm of the subjective perceptions of the main characters, and this aspect of the narration is what gets the focus.

I can agree and all that the tag is misused in MAL, after all we are talking about the same site that doesn't consider Perfect Blue a thriller or invents a tag that makes absolutely no sense like "dementia", but precisely WataMote and Welcome to the NHK! are undeniable examples.

Edit.- And the moment I write this, I see that WataMote is not tagged as psychological despite the whole series is built around delusions and fears of the main character. MAL pls
jal90Jan 24, 2016 8:29 AM
Jan 24, 2016 8:27 AM

Feb 2010
4blaze2it0 said:
Pullman said:

The question is whether you want to discuss the consistency of MAL tags or what the term psychological means in a narrative.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 24, 2016 8:32 AM

Dec 2015
Higurashi is a perfect example I can really think of for an extreme psychological anime.

It puts the characters into an emotional state constantly, has some heavy dialogue and internal monologue of how the characters know something wrong is happening, there is extreme dissonance between external environment and internal perceptions. I feel like this is what makes a psychological anime.

As stated above me though, psychological can be on the lesser side as well. There are things like Serial Experiment Lain and Higurashi and then there's things like psycho-pass that deal with societal issues on a psychological level. The genre really does vary from the anime that is being portrayed from slightly psychological to complete madness and chaos.
Jan 24, 2016 9:12 AM

Jan 2014
It's what some plebs have tried to make synonymous with "2deep4u."
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jan 24, 2016 10:20 AM

Jan 2013
Have you watched Eden of the East.
That's considered Psychological By Many, and I think it does it right.
Jan 24, 2016 10:45 AM
Sep 2011
Cejara said:
there is extreme dissonance between external environment and internal perceptions..

That's the nicest explanation of the term "mindscrew" I've ever heard.

It gets even more screwy when the trope "Magic Realism" is put into a show, where a supernatural aspect is put into a show that's otherwise grounded in reality. It really makes one question what is real and what isn't.

Not to mention shows that rely heavily on symbolism also tend to be categorized as psychological, as the use of said symbolism can sometimes be used to convey the character's mental state without having them explain it.
Jan 24, 2016 10:47 AM
May 2010
Any anime that provokes your mind. Note the difference between this and anime that provokes your emotions/heart. Most confuses this (moe/feels) with psychological anime.
Jan 24, 2016 10:55 AM

Jan 2010
If an anime makes a conscious effort to get in-depth into the personality and thoughts of its characters, or if it tries to get into the heads of its viewers to make them think about how they act, think, and behave, it would at least be attempting to be psychological. It doesn't have to be a mind screw series either, it just has to ask a lot of "why." At least, that's how I'd go about it.
Jan 24, 2016 10:57 AM

Feb 2015
PoeticJustice said:
Psychology is the study of human behavior and mental processes. Psychological anime usually go more indepth about the reasons why characters behave in a certain way. The anime usually goes into the thoughts and beliefs of the characters.

So Your Lie in April is psychological? Because Arima Kousei has some metal issues he tries to overcome relating to his dead mother.
Jan 24, 2016 10:59 AM

May 2012
You_Go_Now said:
PoeticJustice said:

So Your Lie in April is psychological? Because Arima Kousei has some metal issues he tries to overcome relating to his dead mother.

Yeah it is psychological, but it is still a very bad show.
Jan 24, 2016 11:03 AM

Apr 2015
Kara no Kyoukai is the most psychological anime but doesn't even have a psychological genre.
conclusion: genre tags are inaccurate in MAL.
Jan 24, 2016 11:03 AM

Mar 2010
Having an inner conflict resulting from some past event doesn't make a show psychological. That term would be meaningless if that was the case.
Jan 24, 2016 11:11 AM

Dec 2015
RLinksoul said:
Cejara said:
there is extreme dissonance between external environment and internal perceptions..

That's the nicest explanation of the term "mindscrew" I've ever heard.

It gets even more screwy when the trope "Magic Realism" is put into a show, where a supernatural aspect is put into a show that's otherwise grounded in reality. It really makes one question what is real and what isn't.

Not to mention shows that rely heavily on symbolism also tend to be categorized as psychological, as the use of said symbolism can sometimes be used to convey the character's mental state without having them explain it.

That term you used magic realism is like the basis for Umineko (another psycholoigcal anime). Never heard of that term before, is it an anime or manga term or is it something you came up with it to define things?
Jan 24, 2016 11:15 AM

May 2012
TonyTheme said:
Having an inner conflict resulting from some past event doesn't make a show psychological. That term would be meaningless if that was the case.

It has to be the focus of the show. Look at Evangelion, the reason why it is psychological is because it focuses on how past events effected the behavior of the characters. Psychological anime focus on how the trauma effects the characters involved.
Jan 24, 2016 11:24 AM
Sep 2011
Cejara said:
[That term you used magic realism is like the basis for Umineko (another psycholoigcal anime). Never heard of that term before, is it an anime or manga term or is it something you came up with it to define things?

Actually it comes from TV Tropes, a website all about literary devices with lists of examples spanning all kinds of media.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicRealism
Jan 24, 2016 2:42 PM
Feb 2014
I always think it's heavy on dialogues and inner dialogues, mental struggles or simply some mental wrecking stuff idk
Jan 24, 2016 3:10 PM
Dec 2014
Inner monologues are a key aspect of this genre. It has to reflect on the character and his emotional traits. The show has to be focused on the character and its characterization or development. Battle shonen also have lots of inner monologues, but they are usually thinking about tactics or wasting their views time by some other shit. These don't count. The content matters.
Jan 24, 2016 3:13 PM
Dec 2014
4blaze2it0 said:
TonyTheme said:

Pullman said:

Don't know why people would say that shin sekai yori is psychological. The characters were pretty unimportant, almost plot devices for the great story and world building.
Jan 24, 2016 5:02 PM

Jan 2016
Add some real life stuff then It will be directly psychological.

Why are you crying? Why are you sobbing?
You choose to be hurt rather than to hurt others right?
That isn’t kindness. That’s just being weak.

- From Rize Kamishiro to Kaneki Ken
Jan 24, 2016 5:19 PM

Dec 2015
plasma38 said:
4blaze2it0 said:

Don't know why people would say that shin sekai yori is psychological. The characters were pretty unimportant, almost plot devices for the great story and world building.

Shinsekai Yori does have psychological factors to it. It deals with societal issues and what humanity is as its main themes and issues such a group think. These two themes are a big part of psychology. Source: two degrees in psychology/minor in sociology.
Jan 24, 2016 7:25 PM

Jun 2010
It plays with you head. Sometimes it might question your own sanity.
Jan 24, 2016 8:37 PM

Mar 2012
4blaze2it0 said:
Zapredon said:

There are a lot of anime in there that aren't psychological..
I don't see how Tokyo Ghoul is anyway.
I guess it owes to the fact that the definition of psychological itself is pretty loose..

Tokyo Ghoul concentrates on moral dilemmas and identity crisis.
Jan 24, 2016 11:43 PM

Dec 2015
TheGeniusBaka said:
a psychological anime is psychological if it really affect your mind .

this, very simple indeed

gottalove30characters
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Jan 24, 2016 11:52 PM
Jul 2015
Usually when some/most part of the action takes place inside viewer and MC head.
They normally put the MC into stressful situations and make him take difficult decisions.
It's very difficult defining this genre.

Jan 25, 2016 12:00 AM

Mar 2015
not really fans of this genre, but when the main theme of anime is exploring the personalities and though of character (not always MC) and how it goes along with series, than it is psychological.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 25, 2016 12:04 AM

Jan 2013
Kuma said:
not really fans of this genre, but when the main theme of anime is exploring the personalities and though of character (not always MC) and how it goes along with series, than it is psychological.

Wouldn't that literally be every anime though?
Jan 25, 2016 12:22 AM

Mar 2015
TitanAnteus said:
Kuma said:

Wouldn't that literally be every anime though?
not really. if the main theme of the series it slef is showing how the character as main trait. the stories is following around character react and though. it's showing how character react and why and how to deal with event. it's not always using monologue, or dialogue. it can be many ways.

maybe it's kinda confusing, but when it focus to character attitude, what they do and why they react that way, how is mental state and what probably they think and the story is presented around it, than it is psychological. IE: character psychological focus story.

to differentiate it with most anime, they presented their story with character, not event. event there also presented with how character react with that event.

how about to differentiate with another character focus story?
simple, if we get moment showing the way why character react that way, not only what character do.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 25, 2016 8:49 AM

May 2015
Psychological is when the psychology - how the characters view the world, their reactions, what shapes their worldview/personality, how it changes is the focus.

Surrealism and inner monologues look psychological, but aren't necessary.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 25, 2016 8:25 PM
Jul 2015
How it differs from slice-of-life, romance and drama anime? Much more interesting aim in the story and more intense. You just can't stop seeing the extreme distress and emotions that the characters are facing. Also tends to be deeper and darker.
Jan 26, 2016 7:20 AM

May 2015
noodleeater21 said:
How it differs from slice-of-life, romance and drama anime? Much more interesting aim in the story and more intense. You just can't stop seeing the extreme distress and emotions that the characters are facing. Also tends to be deeper and darker.

Distress and negative emotions are also present in cheap Slasher films. What's so psychological there?
Jan 26, 2016 2:58 PM

Sep 2015
You should watch Monster. It's literally the best psychological anime.
Jan 26, 2016 3:04 PM

May 2015
TheNamelessDemon said:

That's bait for a certain genius baka.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jan 26, 2016 3:08 PM

Sep 2015
RainyRai said:
TheNamelessDemon said:

That's bait for a certain genius baka.

He certainly makes it known to everyone he hates Monster. Literally everyone on MAL knows he hates it. He says it more than Trump saying he wants to deport Muslims.
Jan 27, 2016 8:48 AM

Apr 2010
Overthinking? It really shows all the complicated train of thoughts, and not just one thought. And even though it can be seen in other genres. here you see it more. I didn't watch much so I'm most sure

Jan 27, 2016 8:58 AM

May 2015
EfiChan said:
Overthinking? It really shows all the complicated train of thoughts, and not just one thought. And even though it can be seen in other genres. here you see it more. I didn't watch much so I'm most sure

How do you show complicated trains of thought?
Jan 27, 2016 9:00 AM

Jul 2013
The psychology needs to be super in the face and forced. There has to be constant shots of your characters looking angsty and depressed. Because that means your characters are deep and psychological.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

32 by Zimmu »»
1 minute ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

62 by Zimmu »»
4 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

51 by LostSpectre »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 6 hours ago

26 by Zimmu »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 5 hours ago

9 by TRC_Randy »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.