Forum Settings
Forums

The attitude towards overweight people and fat acceptance

New
Jan 21, 2016 8:37 PM

Apr 2014
What is your opinion on the 'fat acceptance' movement?
In my opinion, all it does is promote laziness. I'm fine with people being overweight as long as they are actually trying to get in shape and haven't tricked themselves into believing it's actually healthy to being overweight. The overweight aren't the ones with have to deal with their family member dying because they were 300lb.
I'm sure I'm going to piss plenty people off with this, but whatever.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 21, 2016 8:38 PM

Jul 2012
Chantez said:
I'm sure I'm going to piss plenty people off with this, but whatever.
You just projected the most popular opinion in the MAL community. So there's nothing to expect...
Jan 21, 2016 8:39 PM

Jun 2014
I'm not really attracted to overweight girls, but why not accept them? Its their life!
Jan 21, 2016 8:41 PM

Apr 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
I'm not really attracted to overweight girls, but why not accept them? Its their life!

Like I said, it promotes laziness. And alot of them who become parents end up with kids in the same shape too. (No, I'm not saying ALL of them do)
Jan 21, 2016 8:43 PM

Jun 2014
Chantez said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Like I said, it promotes laziness. And alot of them who become parents end up with kids in the same shape too. (No, I'm not saying ALL of them do)

If they want to be lazy, go for it. Though, I know what you're saying.
Jan 21, 2016 8:43 PM

May 2013
"I'm fine with people being overweight as long as they are trying to lose weight" is such a fucky sentence-like, you're only okay with everyone who is currently overweight, trying to lose weight? Or, are you okay with people becoming overweight and then just trying to lose wight immediately after? Either one makes no logical sense. As to your OT, Fat acceptance is rationalizations pure and simple. Deep down they know it too. Of course, instead of being assholes we could try and help but I don't do that shit, I judge the fatties who sit around and do nothing but eat.
Jan 21, 2016 8:45 PM

Apr 2014
khunter said:
"I'm fine with people being overweight as long as they are trying to lose weight" is such a fucky sentence-like, you're only okay with everyone who is currently overweight, trying to lose weight? Or, are you okay with people becoming overweight and then just trying to lose wight immediately after? Either one makes no logical sense. As to your OT, Fat acceptance is rationalizations pure and simple. Deep down they know it too. Of course, instead of being assholes we could try and help but I don't do that shit, I judge the fatties who sit around and do nothing but eat.

I worded it wrongly. I mean I can accept/respect them more if they are trying to cut it.
Jan 21, 2016 8:46 PM

Nov 2013
Fuck I don't know

These days I don't even understand how fat people can be fat. Do they just eat all day? I eat nothing but shit lately and I can't gain a single pound.
Jan 21, 2016 8:46 PM

Aug 2015
If it raises their self confidence then I'm fine with it, but encouraging people to get/stay overweight is pointless. Should be encouraging them to try to lose weight..
Jan 21, 2016 8:47 PM

Apr 2014
Themisto said:
Fuck I don't know

These days I don't even understand how fat people can be fat. Do they just eat all day? I eat nothing but shit lately and I can't gain a single pound.

Fast metabolism probably. A few of my friends ate like shit too and didn't gain any fat.
Jan 21, 2016 8:48 PM

Apr 2012
I view it as a plague since it increases load on the medical system that could very easily(compared to surgery) be prevented.
If a person cannot exercise, then his diet should be one that will make him become fat in the slowest way possible.

Fat, alcohol and smoking in general are things I'll never accept. I don't want to pay the medical bills of people who willingly destroy their bodies.

俺とお前との違いが何だ?!
Jan 21, 2016 9:01 PM

Jul 2012
Alright here is all my thoughts on this sort of thing Its not going to be very organized.

I don't hate people just because they are overweight or Obese.
I dislike it when people that are chubby or slightly over-weight say they are just out of shape and insult overweight people.
I think obesity has a lot to do with computers and depression in todays society.

The fat movement was originally supposed to like help people see that there is a person behind inside that body its turned into a whole other things. People get together and promote having a body positive life. Ok after you all have got everyone to except that yes your a person and yes you are comfortable in your skin its time to take action!

I mean many people really do hate fat people and insult them and this IS a problem..

Thread example
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128850651

Until the last few hundred years being a little overweight was considered attractive for girls and was a sign of having money.

I understand their reasoning they are healthy and just a little overweight but if your at the point where it affects your health then sure respect is deserved but you really need to take action if you want to feel better.

So many people are overweight people don't even know what skinny looks like I mean they have a vague idea based on Hollywood.

A lot of families look like this

People really need to promote a healthy life style at a young age instead of just saying their kids are big boned and such.

Fat acceptance is getting more and more normal its not even really an acceptance anymore its just assumed that some people are fat some aren't now.

There are people who actually like getting fat and other people that gain weight I mean we have sites like this
stufferdb.com

Fat acceptance is perfectly fine for people that are slightly over-weight but when your getting obese I mean all your doing is giving yourself pep talk

In the end its your body treat it the way you want its hard in the world we live in today to look and feel healthy even most underweight people are skinny-fat.

MiraniaJan 21, 2016 9:09 PM
Jan 21, 2016 9:02 PM

Dec 2014
Man, what is it with these weight threads today? I know this is normal for MAL, but c'mon guys...
Jan 21, 2016 9:10 PM

May 2013
Coolspot said:
Alright here is all my thoughts on this sort of thing Its not going to be very organized.

I don't hate people just because they are overweight or Obese.
I dislike it when people that are chubby or slightly over-weight say they are just out of shape and insult overweight people.
I think obesity has a lot to do with computers and depression in todays society.

The fat movement was originally supposed to like help people see that there is a person behind inside that body its turned into a whole other things. People get together and promote having a body positive life. Ok after you all have got everyone to except that yes your a person and yes you are comfortable in your skin its time to take action!

I mean many people really do hate fat people and insult them and this IS a problem..

Thread example
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128850651

Until the last few hundred years being a little overweight was considered attractive for girls and was a sign of having money.

I understand their reasoning they are healthy and just a little overweight but if your at the point where it affects your health then sure respect is deserved but you really need to take action if you want to feel better.

So many people are overweight people don't even know what skinny looks like I mean they have a vague idea based on Hollywood.

A lot of families look like this

People really need to promote a healthy life style at a young age instead of just saying their kids are big boned and such.

Fat acceptance is getting more and more normal its not even really an acceptance anymore its just assumed that some people are fat some aren't now.

There are people who actually like getting fat and other people that gain weight I mean we have sites like this
stufferdb.com

Fat acceptance is perfectly fine for people that are slightly over-weight but when your getting obese I mean all your doing is giving yourself pep talk

In the end its your body treat it the way you want its hard in the world we live in today to look and feel healthy even most underweight people are skinny-fat.

Were all those girls supposed to be considered overweight? If so, I guess I like fat chicks.
Jan 21, 2016 9:13 PM

Jul 2012
khunter said:

Were all those girls supposed to be considered overweight? If so, I guess I like fat chicks.

I was trying to make a point that a lot of guys and such insult people when they are like 5-25lbs overweight so the body positive movement has its place people hate fat people its true I was trying to say I can see why someone would be part of it its when your obese I see a problem.
Jan 21, 2016 9:43 PM

May 2013
Coolspot said:
khunter said:

I was trying to make a point that a lot of guys and such insult people when they are like 5-25lbs overweight so the body positive movement has its place people hate fat people its true I was trying to say I can see why someone would be part of it its when your obese I see a problem.

That would be pure crap then. All those girls were pretty. I mean, they'd be dicks insulting girls that are quite large too but they'd at least be correct in their insults.
Jan 21, 2016 9:57 PM

Oct 2014
Fat people are similar to people who smoke, they're killing themselves with bad habits and we should stop it but in the end it's their choice to make even if it makes them disgusting and ultimately dead.
Jan 21, 2016 10:30 PM

Oct 2015
My cousin is fat as fuck and he has hoes for each day of the month. So I don't really know, I'm leaning towards the idea that this is more for people who are both fat and unlikable. Shitty to say, but oh well.
By the way, I'm nearly 300 pounds in mostly muscle lol.
Jan 21, 2016 10:33 PM

May 2012
I don't hate fat people. They do have a health problem but that is not my concern. If you are a smart fat guy, I will like you. And I like a girl with a phat ass. Skinny girls are gross.
Jan 21, 2016 10:35 PM

Jun 2012
idc, free country, eat 400000 cheeseburgers, drink literal acid shakes and take a thousand tokes of any and all drugs you like until you have more boobs than Benicio del Toro in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas if it makes you happy.

Someone else's laziness doesn't concern me and it should not concern you unless you have a vested interest in that person getting healthier and if they also have that vested interest.
Jan 21, 2016 10:36 PM

Mar 2014
I don't hate fat people and I think the basic idea of the fat acceptance movement – that there is a person inside of that body and that they shouldn't be discriminated based on their weight – is great

The problems begin when fat/obese people refuse to acknowledge that overweight is a problem because "muh oppression" and even start to insult thin people

Do you see people preaching how good anorexia is except for some weird mags and (indirektast) clothing store posters? You don't

So why should we preach obesity when that also is bad?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 21, 2016 10:48 PM
Jul 2018
If the movement gets them in a more positive mindset then it might help them lose weight if they choose to do so later, so that's the good part. But at the end of the day it's pretty much on them whether or not they acknowledge the health concerns. I'll stay out of it.
Jan 21, 2016 11:19 PM

Jan 2016
I think people like the OP are misunderstanding the "fat acceptance" movement. In fact, it's not really a fat acceptance movement. Most people probably don't think that this is okay:

What they're saying is that overweight people shouldn't be discriminated against or feel ashamed of themselves. Rather, they should love their bodies. That does not mean that they have to accept their bodies. They just shouldn't feel immense pressure to fit a certain body type.

This movement is mostly targeted toward those who doesn't have a supermodel figure, who are a bit overweight, and who don't have an hourglass figure or a toned body. They aren't talking about the people in the picture above.
Jan 22, 2016 1:12 AM

May 2015
I think it's good. I think people who are against it are hilarious clowns who think people have some moral obligation to lose weight.

The world doesn't revolve around you. No one has to lose weight so they'll fit your stupid standards of 'health' (Not as simple as thin or fat) or 'beauty'.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 22, 2016 1:38 AM

Aug 2009
I wouldn't mind if it didn't burden the healthcare system and waste taxpayer dollars.

On one hand I guess you could say it's a form of population control. Might not die immediately, but their poor health choices will catch up to them eventually.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 22, 2016 6:17 AM

Apr 2013
You can be fit as fuck, scrawny or even fat as hell, I don't care if you are a stranger. Obviously if it was someone in my family, I would tell them to lose weight or eat more..
Jan 22, 2016 6:19 AM

Feb 2015
Fat acceptance is hilarious. Where's the anorexia, smoking or self harm acceptance?

There's a lady who's sure
All that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
When she gets there she knows
If the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for
Oh oh oh oh and she's buying a stairway to heaven

Jan 22, 2016 6:26 AM

Jan 2016
"fat acceptance", seriously, what is this crap now? it shoud never be accepted, its a embarrassment for our specie, those people should be ashamed of themselves. it is ugly, and one can only wonder about how much waste they must produce to maintain their "status". we should never let it pass, plus, its a hideous sight, its a waste, and they spoil the scenery. instead of "acceptance" we should be focusing on a world wide ban on them, shame them in the streets, state forced detention for weight correction, media campaigns, etc. as specie, fix this crap once and for all, improve ourselves and have respect for the environment.
Jan 22, 2016 6:32 AM
Jan 2015
Whoresome-Jack said:
Fat acceptance is hilarious. Where's the anorexia, smoking or self harm acceptance?

True. I also can't stand the fact that my taxes has to go to keeping these fat fucks alive.
Jan 22, 2016 6:41 AM
May 2009
I could care less. As long as they aren't blocking my way, I pay no attention to them. just like the rest of the mob characters around me.
Jan 22, 2016 6:49 AM
May 2015
Being fat really makes you miss out alot of cool things. So fat(obese) people, I don't know what makes you accept yourself being like this. Like, everyone has a potential to improve, and look in his/her best case. But you know what? I won't treat you bad. It's your life, not mine. What makes you comfortable is a thing decided by you. There's many things to say about this topic. As long as you're in the friendzone, all I care about is your personality. Though being fat doesn't make you immune to criticism. People can judge and state what's wrong. You shouldn't get upset if you are actually content with yourself.
Jan 22, 2016 7:07 AM

Oct 2011
Some overweight people accepted that that's the way they are, no need for them to seek acceptance from other people and just act like just another ordinary person.
Jan 22, 2016 7:08 AM

Apr 2013
fat acceptance is pure bullshit and it will always be
Jan 22, 2016 7:10 AM

Mar 2013
Fat acceptance basically means letting fat greasy cunts to die lmao
Jan 22, 2016 1:12 PM
Feb 2014
Lux_Lucis said:
mafia_princess said:
As long as you're in the friendzone, all I care about is your personality.

We are the champions, my frieend! And we'll keep on fighting till the end!

truth hurts doesnt it

fat chicks got standards too fam
Jan 22, 2016 1:15 PM

Mar 2014
"it's okay if your fat, you're still beautiful" is the wrong mindset
"you're fat so you're a goblin, dorito eating, weeaboo praising, loser of life" is also the wrong mindset

'the fat acceptance movement' is pretty silly. Being fat has numerous health problems, that should be the focus. It's not wrong to say someone should lose some weight to benefit their health. That's a relatively good thing to say, actually, but all fat people already know they are fat but don't change it, because it's hard.
Jan 22, 2016 1:18 PM
Dec 2015
Sakuraoka said:
"fat acceptance", seriously, what is this crap now? it shoud never be accepted, its a embarrassment for our specie, those people should be ashamed of themselves. it is ugly, and one can only wonder about how much waste they must produce to maintain their "status". we should never let it pass, plus, its a hideous sight, its a waste, and they spoil the scenery. instead of "acceptance" we should be focusing on a world wide ban on them, shame them in the streets, state forced detention for weight correction, media campaigns, etc. as specie, fix this crap once and for all, improve ourselves and have respect for the environment.

Excuse me, but some fat is moe as fuck~

Jan 22, 2016 1:26 PM

Apr 2009
i literally couldn't give less of a shit about whether someone is fat or not.
leave them alone, somebody else's body and health are none of your business.
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Jan 22, 2016 1:34 PM

Apr 2008
a fat adult? ... not my problem

a fat adult with a fat child? ... they're a piece of chit and should be held responsible for abusing a child.
Jan 22, 2016 1:38 PM

Apr 2009
NudeBear said:
kawaiiyuris said:
i literally couldn't give less of a shit about whether someone is fat or not.
leave them alone, somebody else's body and health are none of your business.

It kind of is. Obesity (at least in the US) increases the cost of health care. The deterioration of the overall well-being of a population should be a concern to the average citizen.

Though I don't condone the level of hostility some people display towards the obese, it doesn't mean that we should ignore or even encourage the problem altogether. It is an illness, so it's only logical that we should encourage people to fight against it.
mnhhhh most of what i see just seems to be plain irrational hate towards fat people.
and if you seriously want to fix the costs of healthcare, then the root of the problem isn't even obesity itself, it's nutrition.
so i mean, if an average citizen wants to get pissed at something, they should get pissed at the way the food industry works.
but honestly, just laying out my opinion here and not looking for a debate because i don't care enough about this issue
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Jan 22, 2016 1:50 PM

Jul 2013
What is it with ppl's hatred for and obsession with overweight/obese ppl these days? If someone feels confident with their size, who the hell cares? It's their bodies. Yeah, it's unhealthy, but you can't help someone who doesn't wanna be helped.
Often said:
Man, what is it with these weight threads today? I know this is normal for MAL, but c'mon guys...

Ikr. This is the fourth one I've seen this week. Guess ppl feel the need to prioritize the issue above all else.
Demi_VJan 22, 2016 1:59 PM
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 22, 2016 1:57 PM

Apr 2015
this girl's so fat, she makes sumo wrestlers look anorexic.
I'm feelin' normal, I'm feelin' myself ♪♪
Jan 22, 2016 2:17 PM

Nov 2012
Letting people do as they please with their body is one thing, promoting unhealthy lifestyles is an other, it's disgusting. Child obesity makes me incredibly sad.
Jan 22, 2016 2:32 PM

Aug 2012
Generally, I think obesity/being overweight should be frowned upon no matter what. However, that doesn't mean you should be an asshat about it and call people out.
Jan 22, 2016 2:38 PM

Jan 2015
You don't fool me, OP. I know you dig the chunky monkeys.
Jan 22, 2016 2:41 PM

Jan 2016
you gotta have at least 1 fat friend
so you know what shops are the shit
Jan 22, 2016 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
Fat acceptance is generally just an excuse for a 500 pound lardtard who can't fit in an airline seat, or almost any seat, for that matter, to try and justify being a lug who won't get up off their ass.

It's also often used as an excuse by 3rd wave femnzai women and the general delusional extremist crowd to demean people more than they already do, because" ZOMG NO ONE WILL DATE ME EVEN THOUGH I LITERALLY SPILL OVER THE BOUNDARIES OF A BIG CHAIR ZOMG IM SO OPPRESSED".

If you get to 500 lbs from uninhibited amounts of eating, and eating far more than your recommended daily amount of calories at that, you have a problem, and that problem needs to be fucking addressed. That excess weight is literally life shortening. You will die far earlier due to the sheer composition of body fat you have. It's not a joke. And if you think you have the right to complain about paying five bucks extra for your infinite number (x) shirts and outfits, just remember that you likely did this to yourself.

I have no sympathy for people actively spouting fat acceptance banter. The majority refuse to actually do anything to change their habits, and aim for health, but instead try and promote obesity as health. Okay, not everyone is blessed with a perfect metabolic advantage or a perfect system, but that doesn't stop the majority of the population, or at least, what was the majority before westerners became so fat by worldwide obesity standards.... from mostly being under 300 lbs with the ability to fit decently in most normal sized chairs and clothing....
Jan 22, 2016 8:02 PM

Jan 2014
Unhealthy things shouldn't be encouraged, and neither should insulting people just for the sake of it.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jan 23, 2016 1:24 AM
May 2015
Nico- said:
Lux_Lucis said:

We are the champions, my frieend! And we'll keep on fighting till the end!

truth hurts doesnt it

fat chicks got standards too fam
Woah, an unfunny and rude bait. And no I'm not.
Jan 23, 2016 1:55 AM

Jun 2014
Bernkastel said:
A reasonable analogy is if suddenly we had an alcoholic acceptance movement that preached being alcoholics are OK. It's not like fat people or alcoholics deserve derogatory responses thrown at them all the time, but at the same time, it's irresponsible to tell others those are good things.

I agree with this wholeheartedly and view education and cheaper healthy food alternatives as being more beneficial as a whole, than calling someone a 'lard ass' or other such things.

@OP I view acceptance and tolerance as two different things. What I mean by this, is everyone has certain rights and I can not by means of force and/or intimidation in good conscience make them follow a certain lifestyle. However, that is different than acceptance, as it's an unhealthy lifestyle and one that should and can be addressed, but setting out with a derogatory mindset, doesn't accomplish anything.

There's also the argument they put a strain on the medical system and that gives us a right to say w/e we would like because it has a direct impact on society at large. To some extent this is true, however, it's also a very hypocritical stance in most cases, as we all do things that put a burden either on society, the medical system, or the environment. Diabetes and the prevalence of processed foods in the average persons diet being two examples. That is in no way excusing obesity, but rather just highlighting that there are many health related issues that could be circumvented by taking the proper steps via education, more activities for children, cheaper alternatives to processed foods, and in some cases mental health services where needed, etc. I also think we should take a tougher stance on parents with obese children, but that is a very sensitive issue and has to be handled in a proper manner. Not necessarily by taking the children away, but by a service to educate parents on diet and lifestyle changes that can improve the families health. Follow up's would be required of course to ensure expectations are being met, but the child's health should be of utmost importance not only on the macro level but the micro level of family and friends.

Sakuraoka said:

This is so beyond reasonable, I can only hope it is an attempt at trolling.
retiring_animeJan 23, 2016 2:02 AM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Would you ever be interested in going on a blind date?

Thy-Veseveia - 1 minute ago

0 by Thy-Veseveia »»
1 minute ago

» Would you consider becoming a vegatarain, maybe Vegan ? ( 1 2 )

SyrupPastryNice - Apr 10

67 by SwordBreaker36 »»
2 minutes ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Apr 19

26 by SwordBreaker36 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk? ( 1 2 )

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

59 by Noboru »»
6 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

68 by SwordBreaker36 »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.