Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 20, 2016 4:43 AM

Jan 2015
Lets say there is some great anime, which you like, everything fine with it except.... you HATE/dislike the main character, or just find him annoying. -It can be either the main main, or just one of the mains -like e.g in battle shounens there are several main charas in theory, but in reality there is only 1 main- but as far as i noticed hating the main MC can have a greater effect.

Shows / characters that got ruined/made me like it less by the MC for me:
Fsn ubw: everytime shirou was on the screen i just got pissed... dont know the reason, but his whole being annoyed me
KHR: it wasnt as bad as at fsn, but having 2 personalities didnt fit tsuna, personally i didnt like his dying will personality, his original one was better.

Thats it for me atm, cant think of others.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 20, 2016 4:49 AM

Aug 2015
It ruined Mahouka for me. So I guess it kinda does.

However , I still liked the Fate series despite disliking Shirou. In this case , I liked Gilgamesh and Archer to hold on to the series.

So while the MC is important for a show , I think you'll have to like some of the other characters too to enjoy the show
Jan 20, 2016 4:49 AM
Jun 2015
11eyes - Yuka Minase was a terrible female MC
Guilty Crown - Shuu was also trash
Corpse Party: Tortured Souls - Love the game series. Hate the anime. Mainly because the GENIUSES who made the anime decided to make Satoshi the main character.. And he's a fucking ass.
Oriemo - Ha ha.. Fuck Kirino.
Seraph of the end - A bit of stretch but Mikaela..
Sword Art Online - One of my problems was how I disliked Kirito and Asuna.
Jan 20, 2016 4:52 AM

Jul 2013
Depends. I don't like Mikado from Durarara very much, but I still enjoy the show very much. Shuu Ouma, on the other hand, was unbearable and ruined Guilty Crown even more >_>
Jan 20, 2016 4:53 AM

Jan 2015
Z-Dante said:
It ruined Mahouka for me. So I guess it kinda does.

However , I still liked the Fate series despite disliking Shirou. In this case , I liked Gilgamesh and Archer to hold on to the series.

So while the MC is important for a show , I think you'll have to like some of the other characters too to enjoy the show

Yes, thats true, if Gilgamesh and Kirei wouldn't appear in fsn, I would've drop it right away. I enjoyed the scenes with them, also every other scene shirou wasnt shown. But it still made me like fsn less than without shirou.
Jan 20, 2016 4:54 AM
Jun 2015
Illyricus- said:
Depends. I don't like Mikado from Durarara very much, but I still enjoy the show very much. Shuu Ouma, on the other hand, was unbearable and ruined Guilty Crown even more >_>

These are literally my thoughts on both shows and MCs.
Jan 20, 2016 4:56 AM

Aug 2015
Not really to be honest. I've watched a few anime with MCs I dislike and still enjoyed them.
Jan 20, 2016 4:56 AM

Jun 2015
Dropped Mirai Nikki 3 episodes in because of Yukki. So yeah, it can.
Jan 20, 2016 4:58 AM

Sep 2015
Yes, definitely. When you have a terrible MC and the show revolves around said MC, it can ruin what would be an otherwise great anime for me.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jan 20, 2016 4:59 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Not really.

I can always focus on other things I enjoy more, like side characters. I did that while I was watching Nagi no Asukara, as I dislike Hikari,
.........and DxD, as I dislike Rias and Akeno.

But there are anime I refuse to watch at all because of MC, like Mirai Nikki, because of Yuno.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 20, 2016 5:00 AM
Jun 2015
RayAdha said:
I dislike Rias and Akeno.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN
Jan 20, 2016 5:02 AM

Apr 2013
Oh hell yes. Zero no Tsukaima had a great setting, a great story and great side characters but these two dushbag protagonists ruined everything...

RayAdha said:
...and DxD, as I dislike Rias and Akeno.

But... but... how... why... what? ;_;
Jan 20, 2016 5:04 AM

Jun 2014
That's simple.
A horrendous main character can definitely ruin a show.
Character design is just as important as storytelling.
Jan 20, 2016 5:05 AM

Aug 2015
JewellTH said:
RayAdha said:
I dislike Rias and Akeno.

DAAAMN
You could just say that you dislike watermelon.

Well , I don't like them either . 😋
Jan 20, 2016 5:05 AM

Sep 2014
Of course it can, lol. MC is one of the most important things, in majority of anime at least, if you dislike them the whole experience can be ruined.
Jan 20, 2016 5:06 AM
Mar 2014
In the vast majority of cases, no. It's hard for me to really dislike an MC regardless, but if I actually do dislike one I usually know why and then it's either the actual narrative's fault for not handling that character right or something that gets dealt with later on.

also kill urself 4 shittalkin shirou
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Jan 20, 2016 5:06 AM

Aug 2015
i did not watch accel world because mc is fat
Jan 20, 2016 5:07 AM

Jan 2016
Yep. But to an extent.
Other characters from the said show can make it salvageable...

That's what happened with my enjoyment of Infinite Stratos...
Ichika Orimura's blandness was saved by Charlotte and Laura! I even watched the second season because of them.
Jan 20, 2016 5:08 AM

Jul 2013
If it's a show that gives characters equal screentime like DRRR!!!, I can deal with it. The majority of them don't, which causes me to really not enjoy the series like Aldnoah Zero and The Irregular at Magic High School.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 20, 2016 5:08 AM

Jul 2014
It depends.
*most cliche answer ever but w/e*

Koyochoco said:
i did not watch accel world because mc is fat

Not watching a show because of the MC's body type is a bit... Idk. But you're not missing out on much anyway, Accel World was pretty bad even disregarding the MC
Jan 20, 2016 5:09 AM

May 2015
It really depends on how tied said character's flaws (and consequent struggles to overcome them, or lack thereof >_>) are to the main story. Romcoms are an obvious target: Banri pretty much killed Golden Time by himself in my opinion.
Yukki is harder to digest as a MC, yet I found him easier to ignore since I could always focus on other stuff.
Jan 20, 2016 5:10 AM
Nov 2014
The fat pig in Accel World is worse than Hitler.
Jan 20, 2016 5:13 AM

Jul 2008
Hajime from Gatchaman Crowds is the most annoying character I have encountered yet. I'm not saying I would've liked it more if she wasn't there, but she sure made it worse.
Jan 20, 2016 5:17 AM

Feb 2013
Deppens, because it can happen that I dislike the MC but really love secundarys (SNK, Index...) in that case, disliking the MC doesnt exactly ruin the anime for me

Jan 20, 2016 5:18 AM

Apr 2015
YES. I dropped numerous shows because of MCs. Saekano and Classroom Crisis would be some recent examples.
Jan 20, 2016 5:19 AM

Nov 2015
Yep. I'll bet I'd be really into psycho pass.... if it weren't for that shit female MC. Causing me to drop the series after4 or 5 episodes.
Jan 20, 2016 5:20 AM

Oct 2015
I can't totally enjoy a show when the main character pisses me off. There are shows I like despite strongly disliking the main character, such as Evangelion with Shinji or Fate S/N with Shirou, but it'd have been better if they were .. Different
Jan 20, 2016 5:39 AM

Jan 2015
Nyarlathothep said:
I can't totally enjoy a show when the main character pisses me off. There are shows I like despite strongly disliking the main character, such as Evangelion with Shinji or Fate S/N with Shirou, but it'd have been better if they were .. Different

Or just wouldn't exist :P That would be better. :)
Jan 20, 2016 5:41 AM

Aug 2014
Saitama, Arita Haruyuki, Sora, Tatsuya. yes
sup
Jan 20, 2016 5:44 AM

Jul 2013
Definitely, if i'm going to be watching an anime i don't want to be annoyed the whole way through.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 20, 2016 5:56 AM

Jan 2015
Nagirah said:
Sometimes. Like people earlier said, I still love durarara despite not being a fan of Mikado. However...

I couldn't say the shirou part better myself ;) +1.
Didn't see the other 2.
Jan 20, 2016 6:03 AM

Nov 2009
Alternative point of view: You know, these forums could be a lot better if not for the people who write here. So I guess the same applies to shows.

For example, MC from Charlotte was so bad he made me drop it after about 1/2 of the first episode. (by the way, my friends convinced me to watch the second episode anyway, and while it was less annoying, it didn't make me change my decision).
Jan 20, 2016 6:05 AM
May 2009
Yes it can. But it all depends on whether the story is really focused on the Main.
Jan 20, 2016 6:20 AM

Sep 2015
CapitalistGod said:
Yep. But to an extent.
Other characters from the said show can make it salvageable...

That's what happened with my enjoyment of Infinite Stratos...
Ichika Orimura's blandness was saved by Charlotte and Laura! I even watched the second season because of them.

Just think of how amazing IS could have been if Ichika wasn't in it.
Or if he didn't have the IQ of a brick.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jan 20, 2016 6:25 AM

Jun 2015
One piece is ruined for me because of Luffy. And Naruto to some extend.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Jan 20, 2016 6:25 AM

Jan 2008
It's very possible, yes. I can't stand characters like Naruto, so I can't watch shows with that type of MC: loud, annoying and obnoxious.
Jan 20, 2016 6:26 AM

Aug 2014
Mirai Nikki was a trainwreck, but I think I would have enjoyed it ALOT more if Yuno and Yukki weren't the MC, so yes.
Jan 20, 2016 6:46 AM

Apr 2015
Yes. Aisaka taiga destroyed Toradora for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2016 6:54 AM

Jul 2015
Dunno how disliking an MC alone can ruin a show for someone .

If the show actually got ruined then it meant that there was never really much else keeping you to it .

Disliking an MC alone isn't enough .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jan 20, 2016 7:15 AM

Apr 2015
EvilDragon16 said:

If the show actually got ruined then it meant that there was never really much else keeping you to it .

It is enough for me. For example I would have watched Saekano definitely if it weren't for the MC because I liked Katou very very much. It was the MC and only the MC that ruined it because I couldn't stand a minute passing with him on the screen. No offense to his fans.
Jan 20, 2016 7:23 AM

Jul 2015
Man_Lanz said:
EvilDragon16 said:

It is enough for me. For example I would have watched Saekano definitely if it weren't for the MC because I liked Katou very very much. It was the MC and only the MC that ruined it because I couldn't stand a minute passing with him on the screen. No offense to his fans.

But then the way you're putting it makes it seem like Katou was the only reason you liked it .If only one girl is why you watched a show and not the plot or characters as a whole then that means there isn't much tying you down to it .You might as well say that Katou would have saved the show if not for the MC .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jan 20, 2016 7:34 AM

Jun 2015
EvilDragon16 said:
Man_Lanz said:

But then the way you're putting it makes it seem like Katou was the only reason you liked it .If only one girl is why you watched a show and not the plot or characters as a whole then that means there isn't much tying you down to it .You might as well say that Katou would have saved the show if not for the MC .

You don't understand. The MC(s), by definition, has/have the most screen time by a landslide. Even if the show is decent, constantly seeing something you dislike can ruin the whole mood. It's not like you can "avoid" the MC.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Jan 20, 2016 7:34 AM

Aug 2015
Haruhi Suzumiya made it too irritating for me to complete any of the franchise.
You've done nothing but spout meaningless prattle. - Yukino Yukinoshita.
Jan 20, 2016 7:39 AM

Aug 2014
EvilDragon16 said:

Because the MC is the one person that will have 99% of the screentime. If you absolutely hate someone so much, that you wish they would burn up in hell, I doubt you'll be happy to see them having even 1 second screentime. Or Amano Yukki from Mirai Nikki, the show itself may have been good to some, but the spineless pussy that can't do shit on his own and is in need of protection 24/7 can be annoying and get on your nerve.
Jan 20, 2016 7:39 AM

Apr 2015
EvilDragon16 said:
Man_Lanz said:

Err, no, because I liked the other girls and the art and the concept as well.

Also I don't have to like the show for it to be ruined by a character. An anime can be average without a terrible character but his presence may still ruin it.
Jan 20, 2016 7:40 AM
Jul 2018
yufa from ragnarok the animation ugh
Jan 20, 2016 7:42 AM

Dec 2012
Of course. One of the most common reasons if I dislike a show since they naturally have a lot of time and affect the story.
Jan 20, 2016 7:46 AM

Jun 2015
I guess Eren from AOT or just characters like him such Alibaba in Mag(happens to be the same voice actor)i are annoying to me, yet the shows are still great because of the plot and other characters such as Levi, or Sinbad from Magi
Jan 20, 2016 7:47 AM

Dec 2015
I think it depends on how good the anime is.
For example: Gon of hunterxhunter, I really don't like him but because hunterxhunter was good I still watched it.
and also if there are lots of interesting characters then it may give me another reason to watch.
Jan 20, 2016 7:54 AM

Oct 2014
Yes shirou and touma manages to do that everytime that say their bs hypocritical naive ideals it makes me hate the anime even more
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

37 by Strayfe »»
18 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

26 by Lizsaki »»
20 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 8 hours ago

33 by TRC_Randy »»
21 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 10 hours ago

42 by Vendicator »»
28 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

42 by TRC_Randy »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.