Forum Settings
Forums

'Shounen Ashibe' Gets New TV Anime Adaptation in Spring 2016

New
Jan 20, 2016 2:27 AM

Nov 2011

A new anime adaptation of Hiromi Morishita's gag manga Shounen Ashibe has been announced to air on NHK ETV from April 5. The series, titled Shounen Ashibe: Go! Go! Goma-chan, will air on Tuesdays at 6:45 p.m. in the time slot currently occupied by Omakase! Miracle Cat-dan.

Staff
Director: Nobuhiro Kondou (Keroro Gunsou)
Series Composition: Toshimitsu Takeuchi (Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold)
Studio: Bridge

Shounen Ashibe, serialized in Young Jump magazine between 1988 and 1994, follows the daily life of first-grader Ashibe Ashiya and his spotted seal pet Goma-chan. At the time, Shounen Ashibe changed the direction of 4-koma manga with its rich character drama. It sold five million copies among six collected volumes as of 1992 according to The Anime Encyclopedia. Shueisha eventually published eight volumes of the manga, while Futabasha later published a two-volume selection of chapters.

Pony Canyon released an OVA adaptation in 1990. Television network TBS later produced two series, Shounen Ashibe (1991) and Shounen Ashibe 2 (1992), animated by Life Work.

Source: Comic Natalie

Shounen Ashibe: Go! Go! Goma-chan on MAL
arsonalJan 20, 2016 7:10 PM
Jan 20, 2016 2:41 AM

Oct 2013
This definitely would've been my type of series......... if I was still five years old! Lol
Jan 20, 2016 2:53 AM

Jul 2013
Interesting title > clicks on the link and sees the screenshot > 1 second later> closes page down
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2016 2:59 AM

Mar 2013
Osomatsu-san looked lame just like this at first glance and ended up being a damn blast to watch every week. So I won't say anything until it begins airing. I might take a look.
Jan 20, 2016 3:15 AM

Feb 2010
keragamming said:
This definitely would've been my type of series......... if I was still five years old! Lol

It's a seinen anime though.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 20, 2016 3:53 AM

Jul 2014
Osomatsu-kun turned into Osomatsu-san. Shounen Ashibe will be renamed Seinen Ashibe!!

ok I'll leave now I haven't even watched Osomatsu-san yet
Jan 20, 2016 3:58 AM

May 2013
Renaultclio101 said:
Interesting title > clicks on the link and sees the screenshot > 1 second later> closes page down

#30bitchessitonmysoftdi
Jan 20, 2016 4:01 AM

Jan 2011
Stark700 said:
At the time, Shounen Ashibe changed the direction of 4-koma manga with its rich character drama.
Colour me intrigued.
Jan 20, 2016 5:40 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Is that Nobita in different hairstyle?

I wouldn't watch this since this seems 2deep4me

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 20, 2016 5:46 AM

Aug 2014
I like how everyone immediately dismisses it after watching the art. Well I'll give it a try for sure, not gonna judge a book by it's cover.
Jan 20, 2016 5:58 AM

Feb 2012
Little man's fade on point tho, can't front on that.
Jan 20, 2016 7:01 AM

Nov 2008
Yeah this is for preschoolers, it doesn't seem to even be on a 1st grade level, pass.

Jan 20, 2016 8:13 AM

Jul 2014
mirana said:
Osomatsu-san looked lame just like this at first glance and ended up being a damn blast

No it didn't.

And Osomatsu-san had a diamond-studded cast, and staff from Danshi Koukosei no Nichijou, Nichijou and Gintama. The average MAL user was just incredibly slow at realizing.

First 500 PTW club represent
Jan 20, 2016 8:24 AM

Mar 2015
Hoppy said:
Yeah this is for preschoolers, it doesn't seem to even be on a 1st grade level, pass.

For your information,It's a seinen manga..

Shounen Ashibe, serialized in Young Jump magazine between 1988 and 1994

Young Jump is a seinen magazine.
Jan 20, 2016 8:30 AM

Nov 2008
nemya said:
Hoppy said:

Shounen Ashibe, serialized in Young Jump magazine between 1988 and 1994

The whole magazine/demographics thing is misleading at times and doesn't always reflect it's content. It's in a Seinen magazine but it may not be for adults.

Jan 20, 2016 8:45 AM

Mar 2015
Hoppy said:
nemya said:

The whole magazine/demographics thing is misleading at times and doesn't always reflect it's content. It's in a Seinen magazine but it may not be for adults.

No it's not about the content; Being published in a Seinen magazine is the only thing that makes a manga a seinen manga,it doesn't need to be full with violence to be a manga for adults.
Jan 20, 2016 9:10 AM

Mar 2015
look at those try hard to look mature. this series seinen, so does chii's sweet home, crayon shin-chan, gon, ETC.

children look it literaly and enjoy it as it is, and mature watch it with different prespective and enjoy it in different ways. just because looking childish, doesn't mean it literaly childish.

only watch it if subbed in my native thou. things like this rarely subbed.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 20, 2016 9:38 AM

Jul 2012
I like kids shows so this is my kind of thing.

Red_Tuesday said:
mirana said:
Osomatsu-san looked lame just like this at first glance and ended up being a damn blast

No it didn't.

And Osomatsu-san had a diamond-studded cast, and staff from Danshi Koukosei no Nichijou, Nichijou and Gintama. The average MAL user was just incredibly slow at realizing.

She's referring to the cover photo.
Jan 20, 2016 10:30 AM

Oct 2013
I can't believe some people are legitly trying to start a argument over some pre school tier anime. I watch spongebob up to this day, so it has nothing to do with trying to look mature. Lmao! But there is a limit to what I would consider to be entertaining. And this is one of them.

nemya said:
Hoppy said:

No it's not about the content; Being published in a Seinen magazine is the only thing that makes a manga a seinen manga,it doesn't need to be full with violence to be a manga for adults.

Yea, it was published in a seinen magazine, and yes a series doesn't need to have gore or violence to be considered mature.

My question is, are you implying that this series has mature themes for a mature audience? Just because it's in a seinen magazine? I think you are the one that's confuse here.

Anyways you guys can enjoy this anime where you will do activities such as saying the alphabet and learning how to count. :) XD for the people that will be watching this, more power to you.
keragammingJan 20, 2016 10:36 AM
Jan 20, 2016 11:22 AM

Oct 2013
keragamming said:
I can't believe some people are legitly trying to start a argument over some pre school tier anime. I watch spongebob up to this day, so it has nothing to do with trying to look mature. Lmao! But there is a limit to what I would consider to be entertaining. And this is one of them.

nemya said:

Yea, it was published in a seinen magazine, and yes a series doesn't need to have gore or violence to be considered mature.

My question is, are you implying that this series has mature themes for a mature audience? Just because it's in a seinen magazine? I think you are the one that's confuse here.

Anyways you guys can enjoy this anime where you will do activities such as saying the alphabet and learning how to count. :) XD for the people that will be watching this, more power to you.

It doesn't even need to have "MATURE THEMES" to be for a mature audience. And no you're the one that is totally confused here. Demographic has nothing to do with content. Also the magazine says everything. If the magazine is made for adults, what sense would make to put a series for kids? None.
Why do you use toilet paper when you go to the toilet and not a pages of a book? Certainly is not because of difference of content in the two, but of purpose. The magazine takes this "purpose" into consideration.

About the type of drawing? Is like that because is a Gag Manga.
About the type of manga? 4-koma(series made of chapters with just 4 panels).
The Genre? Is slice of Life and drama. Did you read the post? The series is famous because of its drama.
Popularity? In 5 years, released 6 volumes and in average each one of them sold 833,000 copies.
Adaptations? This series already had 1 OVA and 2 TV series, making a total 62 episodes of 25 minutes. This adaptation will just be of 10 minutes shorts, similar with Sgt. Frog that recently got also a 10 minute adaptation.

Normally 10 minute series don't get releases in the west, unfortunately. Nor official nor fansubs. Depending on how many people know about this series or get interested in it, we might get a release.

This Is also a Seinen Slice of Life: https://s.livechart.me/anime/poster_images/000/001/555/ff0639e1623ae63a18c56d489dae6ea573acb499.jpg
bigivelfhqJan 20, 2016 11:34 AM
Jan 20, 2016 12:02 PM

Oct 2013
When did I say demographic has anything to do with content? I've known that since finding out k-on was a seinen lmao! Please show me, because I never said that.

This is a small part what nemya said. "doesn't need to be full with violence to be a manga for adults."

After re reading his comment, I may have misunderstand what he was saying. But when i initially read it, he said it doesn't need to be a violent series to be considers for a adult audience, which I agree on since there is a lot of mature manga with mature themes that doesn't have violence in it. To me, it felt like it he was implying this series has mature themes in it, which it does not, since it seems like a family show, my argument was whether it has mature theme or not, I wasn't saying anything about the magazine. So it was all a misunderstanding, and the alphabet part of my comment was just me exaggerating. you and the others can breath easy now. I was being half serious in this thread.
keragammingJan 20, 2016 12:18 PM
Jan 20, 2016 12:35 PM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:

I just wanted to point out that It's a seinen manga,since I thought some of you didn't notice and assumed that it's a kindergarten children targeted show.I won't blame you thought;It's the first thing someone would think after reading that Synopsis.
sure the theme may not sound mature for some adults,but this doesn't change the fact that this is a seinen series( aimed at adults).
Jan 20, 2016 12:46 PM

Oct 2013
nemya said:
keragamming said:

I just wanted to point out that It's a seinen manga,since I thought some of you didn't notice and assumed that it's a kindergarten children targeted show.I won't blame you thought;It's the first thing someone would think after reading that Synopsis.
sure the theme may not sound mature for some adults,but this doesn't change the fact that this is a seinen series( aimed at adults).

I understand what you were saying. My question is..... Is it a family type of series? Because if that's case I don't consider it a series that aims specifically for adults, I would rather call this series a series aimed for all audience. A series that is specifically made for adults would not have themes ect that kids would be able to understand or apreciate.
Jan 20, 2016 1:17 PM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
nemya said:

I understand what you were saying. My question is..... Is it a family type of series? Because if that's case I don't consider it a series that aims specifically for adults, I would rather call this series a series aimed for all audience. A series that is specifically made for adults would not have themes ect that kids would be able to understand or apreciate.

I didn't read the manga,but the anime is probably family friendly.
I got your point, But since the manga was in a seinen magazine,then it is aimed at adults,yes anyone can enjoy it,but it's made for adults, because I don't think a seinen magazine is expecting elementary school children to be reading the magazine.
Jan 20, 2016 1:35 PM
Jul 2018
SHONEN ASHIBE.

IM IN.
Jan 20, 2016 6:03 PM

Jul 2014
Mayuka said:

Red_Tuesday said:

No it didn't.

I know... And still disagree. Osomatsu-san just has a stylized art style, but anyone who's seen for example Nichijou or Senyuu knows that amazing anime can look simple.
This however, is in a different league of simple, and has the design language of a kids' show. Osomatsu-san never had that design language.
Jan 20, 2016 6:05 PM

Jul 2012
Red_Tuesday said:
Mayuka said:

I know... And still disagree. Osomatsu-san just has a stylized art style, but anyone who's seen for example Nichijou or Senyuu knows that amazing anime can look simple.
This however, is in a different league of simple, and has the design language of a kids' show. Osomatsu-san never had that design language.
Those shows are cute girls and the second one doesn't look that different.

Osomatsu-san looks like Sazae-san or Doreamon more.

More topics from this board

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 50 minutes ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
50 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 3 hours ago

3 by trinitroglycerin »»
59 minutes ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 2 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
1 hour ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
2 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

3 by Etherius_ZS »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.