Forum Settings
Forums

Forum Index Redesign and Notifications for Forum Quotes/Mentions!

New
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 18, 2016 12:05 AM
Anime Moderator
᠎ Master Öqvily᠎

Aug 2014
I actually don't mind the forum change. (I'm not used to it yet but I'll give it time.) And I love that the pm's have been increased to 1k! And let's not forget one of the best feathers that have been added, quotes and mentions~

Forum set made by my
secret santa, Nate!
Jan 18, 2016 12:06 AM
Apr 2013
TsundereHeart said:
Just curious how do quote towers work?

If A say something
Then B quotes A
Then C quotes B and A
Then D quotes C, B and A

Does A get 3 notifications? o_O
Or is it designed to only notify the outermost quote

I got notified when ziggy quoted kineta's post that quoted me.
Jan 18, 2016 12:08 AM

Feb 2008
Comic_Sans said:

MAL is a big website. It is very difficult for the staff to take workable feedback from the forums since most posts are highly emotional in content and read more as ranting than advice, and most of the changes users propose are often rejected by other users in the very same thread -- there is no consensus. The staff does follow these threads and take as much of the feedback as they possibly can, but it's a bit unreasonable to require all users to approve of potential changes before they can go live. Nothing would ever happen if this were the case. I also don't think that polling people with a "yes" or "no" is a reasonable alternative either since a number is not productive feedback and most MAL users do not browse the forums on a regular basis.

That said, I don't pretend to know everything that goes on with regards to the dev team. They largely keep to their own discussions while moderators just do their own duties. What happens there is behind closed doors. I also think it would be beneficial if there was more of a dialogue going on between the dev team and other parts of the site, but that's up to them.
Jan 18, 2016 12:09 AM

Mar 2013
@elkensteyin Testing these apparent new mentions
Jan 18, 2016 12:11 AM

Mar 2008
worldeditor11 said:
I take that it works as it should? Unless of course you were flooded with user mentions by my post.
Yes if you were notified by just my @ thing. I was not flooded with multilple messages.

worldeditor11 said:
Preferences I suppose. As you might have guessed, I prefer each thread to be opened on each tab separately instead of one. More productive and less loading time as I filter through each notification. Maybe we could make a poll out of this.

And yes, an active notification system seems to be the next step after this.

I already have over 100 tabs open. I only keep MAL open 3 at most. If you want it to open in a new tab all you have to do is set that as your browsers action for opening links or are you saying it does not respond to that browser setting?
Jan 18, 2016 12:11 AM
Apr 2013
Comic_Sans said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Its a forum where you'll see it all! Its full of anime fans in which 95% of them have waaaaay under 300 completions, the website itself is extremely outdated and most of the banners have been there since 08, the new admin is delusional af and she really believes the site is active, the veteran admins are all lazy and make empty promises they don't keep, they moderated FIVE newbies who joined in 2015 and they all can't do anything, its ugly af, the new admin is a tyrant.

I'm a mod there, but all the staff despise me and I shitpost there. Like, my personality there is 100% different.
Ouch... Sounds terrible indeed

But I'd still like if @Kineta & c:o could try listening to the community more, because communication really has been pretty poor the last six months

If you guys stop acting like spoilt children, maybe they might be more willing.

@traed

Cool.

worldeditor11Jan 18, 2016 12:14 AM
Jan 18, 2016 12:12 AM
Jul 2018
1000 yay.
Jan 18, 2016 12:15 AM
Jul 2018
tbh now the forums look more ugly and "very small" in the left side. the right side of the forums looks kinda empty..
other than that, love the notification feature.
Jan 18, 2016 12:17 AM
Apr 2012
the cancer is real
Jan 18, 2016 12:17 AM

Aug 2014
Loving this update ^^

The inbox increase is especially useful for me!
Jan 18, 2016 12:19 AM

Nov 2009
Nico- said:
If you're going to re-design this site, please provide an option that allows us to switch back to things if we need to. Forcing this upon users who aren't comfortable with this is not at all commendable on the administration end. In fact, it's just short of what I like to call tyranny.

Know thy users.

They are not forcing you, they are updating their website like all big websites do and should do. It is important to keep up to date and MAL has bin standing still for a few years..
Jan 18, 2016 12:22 AM

Mar 2014
To all those hating the layout and loving the notifications, remember the lesson the highest rated anime has taught us: sacrifices are necessary.
Jan 18, 2016 12:24 AM

Jan 2009
i dont like the new look of the forums but i will get use to it, i just like seeing changes being done now instead when CraveOnline was the owner of this site
Jan 18, 2016 12:28 AM

Mar 2014
Veronin said:
MAL is a big website. It is very difficult for the staff to take workable feedback from the forums since most posts are highly emotional in content and read more as ranting than advice, and most of the changes users propose are often rejected by other users in the very same thread -- there is no consensus.
It doesn't matter if some posts are highly emotional/ranting, because even those posts are an indication that something has gone wrong. And even if a lot of posts ARE ranting/emotional, that still doesn't change the fact that I often see you ignoring legit criticism that everyone (or at least an overwhelming majority) agrees with. The thread about the new profile update was terribly handled, I barely saw any of you respond to "workable feedback"
The staff does follow these threads and take as much of the feedback as they possibly can, but it's a bit unreasonable to require all users to approve of potential changes before they can go live. Nothing would ever happen if this were the case. I also don't think that polling people with a "yes" or "no" is a reasonable alternative either since a number is not productive feedback and most MAL users do not browse the forums on a regular basis.
I never said anything about asking ALL users. However, the same people who visit the update threads are most likely going to visit the "we want feedback!" threads if you make a big announcement, just like when you announce a new update. The people who actively visit those threads might not be representative of ALL MAL users, but more than often the majority represent the general opinion (e.g. if 165 out of 200 users say they don't want a new update and the rest say they want it, then that is probably pretty much what the rest of the MAL community thinks – the majority doesn't like it. That's at least the impression I've gotten before)
That said, I don't pretend to know everything that goes on with regards to the dev team. They largely keep to their own discussions while moderators just do their own duties. What happens there is behind closed doors. I also think it would be beneficial if there was more of a dialogue going on between the dev team and other parts of the site, but that's up to them.
Explain the current situation and ask them for updates once in a while

@worldeditor11 Fewer people would be acting like spoilt children if there was more communication between the two groups
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 18, 2016 12:32 AM

Mar 2008
I noticed where you get linekd to when clicking the notifiction seems to depend where you clicked on. If you click on the username it takes you to their profile, if you click on where it says "your name was metioned" it takes you right to the post, if you click on the thread name it takes you to the front page of the thread.

May 2015
Don't see why this was needed...

Jul 2012
Lol, I always love looking at all the people senselessly bashing over every little thing acting is if they're accomplishing anything.

I'm quite fine with the new layout. It is a little cluttered but it doesn't really bother me.
Jan 18, 2016 12:33 AM
Apr 2013
Comic_Sans said:
Fewer people would be acting like spoilt children if there was more communication between the two groups

I don't see the communication thing ever happening in MAL.
Jan 18, 2016 12:36 AM

Mar 2014
worldeditor11 said:
Comic_Sans said:
Fewer people would be acting like spoilt children if there was more communication between the two groups

I don't see the communication thing ever happening in MAL.
I've seen multiple people wishing for better communication between the users and the staff, so it's not an impossibility
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 18, 2016 12:36 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Nice update! Probably don't need the userscript anymore (plus it's been working on and off anyways). Thanks for the updates!

As for the forum layout, it looks sort of cluttered and not as easy on the eyes as before, but I can get used to it.
Jan 18, 2016 12:42 AM
Mar 2015
The new forum design does look messy, but I guess I will get used to it soon.

Fumito said:
the cancer is real

C'mon, it is not that bad.
Jan 18, 2016 12:44 AM
Apr 2013

Just a quick cleaning on the current design.
Jan 18, 2016 12:50 AM

Mar 2008
I figured out what the quote/mention thing needs. We need a button on the threads for unfollow or silence quotes or some label like that. How it should work is when you reply in a thread the first time it will automatically set you up to be notified of replies to when you are quoted and if you wish to no longer get notifications on the topic you can unfollow it with a button somewhere. Replying on the silenced thread again will not turn on the notifications again, you should have to do it manually. As for the mentions, if the mention is not limited to if you replied in a thread or not it should be a setting that can be changed universally in settings so you can tell it to not notify you if you do not want to be bothered by people trying to get your attention.
Jan 18, 2016 12:51 AM

Nov 2014
Why does this exist? No one cares about this:

Jan 18, 2016 12:54 AM

Mar 2014
the top anime & manga also changed
Jan 18, 2016 12:56 AM

Nov 2014
ziggy_Z said:
Good lord, finally I can see the status of the title.

Jan 18, 2016 1:00 AM

Feb 2015
Well,it's about time. :)
Jan 18, 2016 1:05 AM

Jul 2015
So after 1000 messages we can't send/receive a message?
Jan 18, 2016 1:06 AM

Jul 2012
orion_gospel said:
So after 1000 mwssages we can't send/receive a message?
The same as before.

You can always receive more messages though. It forces you to delete some if you want to reply to any of them.
Jan 18, 2016 1:06 AM

Jul 2015
Undim said:
orion_gospel said:

Without deleting old ones.

Oh ok. Thanx :)
Jan 18, 2016 1:07 AM

Jul 2015
Mayuka said:
orion_gospel said:
The same as before.

You can always receive more messages though. It forces you to delete some if you want to reply to any of them.

i see. not that i have a problem, i just didn't know that there was a message limit
Jan 18, 2016 1:10 AM
Feb 2008
Really happy about the 1000 messages thing, now I don't have do deal with a constantly full inbox for a while.
Jan 18, 2016 1:21 AM

Dec 2011
This will take a bit of getting used to...

Shame there's no way to get rid of the "Popular New Threads" thing. Do I really need to see that there are hundreds of people posting in some braindead thread in a section of the forum that I never visit? And have that right at the top of the page? (heck I even have the board in question set as "ignored").
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 18, 2016 1:24 AM

Aug 2014
Yeah there's a bit too much going on with the new forum layout out and it ends up looking clustered compared to how it looked before.
ExTamplier said:

I mean just look at all this. Why is there this giant section dedicated to the mods?

ziggy_Z said:

Looks like they ripped the look from IMDb charts however managed to make it worse looking.
FoxfireJan 18, 2016 1:32 AM
Jan 18, 2016 1:26 AM

Mar 2008
I noticed the forum index has two threads displaying for each thread. Im not really sure if that is necicary but it really seems to make it so you have to scroll wayyyyyyyy farther down a page almost twice as much as you normally would need to and it creates a lot of blank space in the first row on the left. So it would be better if it was back to just one new thread reply or for the two threads to be made smaller to take up the space of one.

kuuderes_shadow said:
This will take a bit of getting used to...

Shame there's no way to get rid of the "Popular New Threads" thing. Do I really need to see that there are hundreds of people posting in some braindead thread in a section of the forum that I never visit? And have that right at the top of the page? (heck I even have the board in question set as "ignored").
It would be helpful if every individual section had a hide option.
Jan 18, 2016 1:31 AM

Jun 2014
Whatever, I don't even care about the crappy changes you make.

Ublock origin will block the garbage I don't want.
:3
Jan 18, 2016 1:32 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
traed said:
I noticed the forum index has two threads displaying for each thread. Im not really sure if that is necicary but it really seems to make it so you have to scroll wayyyyyyyy farther down a page almost twice as much as you normally would need to and it creates a lot of blank space in the first row on the left. So it would be better if it was back to just one new thread reply or for the two threads to be made smaller to take up the space of one.

I agree with this. And I don't think the avatar of the last post is necessary, although it's not that bothersome.
Jan 18, 2016 1:33 AM

Jul 2009
ExTamplier said:

It highlights which forum moderators are online, which may help new users in identifying who to contact for help.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Jan 18, 2016 1:39 AM

Mar 2008
arsonal said:

It highlights which forum moderators are online, which may help new users in identifying who to contact for help.
Oh so thata is why some of their avatars were brighter and others dim. I did not figure that out. Would be cleaner if it was just a username with an indicator light rather than full avatars.
Jan 18, 2016 1:39 AM

Mar 2009
Been waiting since forever for quote notifs, really good update.

Test: @HaXXspetten: Lolicon
Jan 18, 2016 1:43 AM

Mar 2014
tingy said:
traed said:

I agree with this. And I don't think the avatar of the last post is necessary, although it's not that bothersome.
It looks attractive.
Jan 18, 2016 1:45 AM
Mar 2015
ExTamplier said:

http://imgur.com/6diNwnn

Long time ago they did it for news mods as well. I guess there might be users that don’t know about their existence, the users who have just joined MAL, so it should help them to solve their issues faster.
Jan 18, 2016 1:45 AM

Mar 2008
Okay I just ran a test changing my settings to work mode to hide forum avatars and signatures. It changes absolutely nothing on the index page. So there is no longer a real work mode on MAL. I like avatars and whatnot on posts but on the index its a more of an eyesore to me.
Jan 18, 2016 1:47 AM

Aug 2014
arsonal said:

I see. However does it really have to take up so much space and look like some hall of fame? You could perhaps do what traed suggested and have a small section near the side under forum statistics or something.
Jan 18, 2016 1:59 AM

Mar 2014
I like it. Thanks.
Jan 18, 2016 2:00 AM

Dec 2011
alpha_shadow said:

Ublock origin will block the garbage I don't want.

Thanks for that. Just blocked the annoying parts.

Anyway, the quotes/mentions thing is very useful.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 18, 2016 2:01 AM

Feb 2011
The quest of ruining this website is progressing steadily
Jan 18, 2016 2:01 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
ziggy_Z said:
tingy said:

It looks attractive.

We all have our preferences, but like I said, it's not a big deal. Good to know that other people like it though ^^
Jan 18, 2016 2:04 AM

Jan 2012
Definitely like receiving notification when someone quotes you, a very helpful addition.
Jan 18, 2016 2:07 AM
May 2007
Fumito said:
the cancer is real

right-side panel
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by Shin_016 »»
4 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Today, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3332 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.