Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 15, 2016 5:02 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
We have done a significant recruitment for the Anime Moderator team and would like to welcome the following new faces:

To help facilitate quick and better training of eager beginner mods (10 at once is a lot!), you'll see them slowly getting mod powers individually over the next two weeks or so.

Considering how much the Anime Moderator job has expanded in the last six months – episodes, cast/staff to episodes, PVs, seasonal information, etc. – I'm hoping that our new team of 18 moderators (in total) will be able to effectively balance the load of all your submissions. If not... you may see a few more nicks pop up.

A BIG thank you to everyone that applied. Regretfully, we could not take every applicant (twice this amount applied). Please take note of the suggestions we gave you to improve your submissions and maybe there will be a spot on the team waiting for you in the future :)

I hope everyone will take a moment to congratulate and welcome the individuals who will now work hard for you!

Review Mods are finally next!

Interested in a different moderator position?
Check out the How to Become a MAL Moderator thread.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 15, 2016 5:03 PM

Mar 2008
Congratulations and welcome to the team! Looking forward to work with all of you :D
Jan 15, 2016 5:04 PM

Nov 2008
Congrats and welcome aboard :D
Jan 15, 2016 5:08 PM
Jul 2018
Congrats to the ones chosen.
Jan 15, 2016 5:09 PM

Feb 2010
Hello guys, looking forward to working with you and I hope I can be of help :)
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 15, 2016 5:30 PM

Mar 2012
I've only seen like halve of the new mod here. Please make MAL a better place.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jan 15, 2016 5:30 PM

Aug 2015
Congratulations!
"More than the cherry blossoms,
Inviting a wind to blow them away,
I am wondering what to do,
With the remaining springtime."

-Asano Naganori
Jan 15, 2016 5:32 PM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
New blood!

Jan 15, 2016 5:35 PM

Nov 2011
Wow. I'm surprised that I know three of the people listed at all, let alone three that are amongst my favorite people on MAL.

Congrats to tingy, Pullman, and Max. :D
Jan 15, 2016 5:40 PM

Mar 2010
Congrats guys. Valoon Since I know/talked to you a bit.. I'll make you my go to guy.. Or something.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 15, 2016 5:55 PM

Jan 2014
Thanks everyone!

Happy to be of assistance.
Jan 15, 2016 5:57 PM

Nov 2011
Welcome to the team! Happy to see new anime mods on board.
Jan 15, 2016 5:59 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Congrats to everyone and I look forward to working with you guys! I hope I can be of help to the team.

I was sort of surprised to see Max and Jicetus on the list, since I got to work with them before. And thanks TripleS X)
Jan 15, 2016 6:00 PM

Jan 2009
congrats to the new staff
Jan 15, 2016 6:00 PM

Jul 2012
Congratulations all of you! I wish you all good luck! Its awesome seeing MAL so active lately.
Jan 15, 2016 6:01 PM

Oct 2014
Congrats new mods.. ^^

read from right to left
Jan 15, 2016 6:08 PM
Mar 2014
I look forward to expanding MyAnimeList's database and making it a better place.
Jan 15, 2016 6:38 PM

Feb 2013
Together with Sailor Venus, Jupiter, Mars and Mercury, they'll make MAL a better place for all people. :D
Jan 15, 2016 6:49 PM
Mar 2014
Congrats' to all.
Jan 15, 2016 7:03 PM

Dec 2015
Congratulations to all the new Moderators!!
Jan 15, 2016 7:08 PM

May 2008
It'd be nice if those of us who got rejected were at least given some kind of reason why. I at least didn't get any kind of suggestions.

You also gave a mod position to someone on semi-hiatus, even though a requirement was being active --or at least I thought as much. And one of them doesn't even have any forum posts. Surely it'd make more sense to give the positions to people who are always around, since one of the biggest complaints people have is that the mods aren't active enough.
Jan 15, 2016 7:54 PM

Nov 2011
Zazie122 said:
...since one of the biggest complaints people have is that the mods aren't active enough.

That's mostly in relation to forum mods, though.
Jan 15, 2016 7:58 PM

May 2008
TripleSRank said:
Zazie122 said:
...since one of the biggest complaints people have is that the mods aren't active enough.

That's mostly in relation to forum mods, though.

Nope, anime mods too. It's a common complaint in the anime DB forum.
Jan 15, 2016 8:05 PM

Apr 2014
Yeeeeeee congrats. Plz grow up to be lax mods though.
Jan 15, 2016 8:09 PM

Mar 2012
Congratulations, new anime moderators. I wish you all the best as you moderate anime.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 15, 2016 8:19 PM

Mar 2014
Congratulations to new mods~
Jan 15, 2016 8:59 PM

Jul 2009
Congratulations, and welcome to those who passed.

Zazie122 said:
You also gave a mod position to someone on semi-hiatus, even though a requirement was being active --or at least I thought as much. And one of them doesn't even have any forum posts. Surely it'd make more sense to give the positions to people who are always around, since one of the biggest complaints people have is that the mods aren't active enough.

Forum posts are not a singular determinant of activity. It can certainly contribute to the selection process, but we have other ways of tracking activity as well.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Jan 15, 2016 9:01 PM

Jul 2012
Congrats, all! I look forward to seeing things done faster xD
Jan 15, 2016 9:04 PM
Jul 2018
Please don't betray my hope.
Jan 15, 2016 9:06 PM
Jul 2018
Congratulations to our new mods! Thanks for volunteering ~
I see familiar faces up there, good job!
Jan 15, 2016 9:29 PM

May 2008
arsonal said:

Forum posts are not a singular determinant of activity. It can certainly contribute to the selection process, but we have other ways of tracking activity as well.

While that's fair, several of the requirements involve forum activity, such as helping out in the database forums. There's also an emphasis on teamwork and the like, and I fail to see how you can gauge someone's personality if they don't use the forums at all. Interacting with users is a big part of being a moderator (even a DB mod), so I don't understand why someone who doesn't interact with the majority of users would get the job. That's just my viewpoint though.
Jan 15, 2016 10:34 PM

Feb 2014
Congratulations and welcome to the team! Maffy will lead the initiation.

Jan 16, 2016 12:34 AM

Jan 2015
Wow I don't recognize a single person, lol.

Congratulations!
Jan 16, 2016 12:37 AM

Sep 2015
Sock Puppets!

I look forward to future 'thread locked' pm's from you all!
Jan 16, 2016 12:56 AM

Jan 2015
Zazie122 said:
It'd be nice if those of us who got rejected were at least given some kind of reason why. I at least didn't get any kind of suggestions.

Mmmmhhh, they told me why I got rejected
(even if I wouldn't be surprised if they just wrote a message and then copied and sent it to every rejected person)
Jan 16, 2016 1:04 AM

Jul 2012
doki-doki said:
I look forward to future 'thread locked' pm's from you all!
they're not forum mods.
Jan 16, 2016 1:16 AM

Jan 2015
Congrats guys!!!
Jan 16, 2016 1:33 AM

May 2008
Xenocrisi said:

(even if I wouldn't be surprised if they just wrote a message and then copied and sent it to every rejected person)

I got a very generic one, lol.

Which doesn't give me any indication whatsoever. It doesn't tell me I did anything wrong, but it also doesn't say that I did things right. I'd at least like to know for future reference so that I can do things better next time.

Mod Edit: I don't post your PMs on the site, so please don't post mine :(
KinetaJan 16, 2016 6:57 AM
Jan 16, 2016 1:41 AM

Nov 2014
Congratz, now GIT 2 WRK!
Zazie122 said:
Xenocrisi said:
Which doesn't give me any indication whatsoever. It doesn't tell me I did anything wrong, but it also doesn't say that I did things right. I'd at least like to know for future reference so that I can do things better next time.
You did not send them nudes.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
KinetaJan 16, 2016 6:58 AM

Jan 16, 2016 1:43 AM

Jan 2015
I don't think the amount of forum posts are great predictors in their activity (or their ability to work as a moderator); anime moderators are more behind-the-scenes type folks, so it certainly comes down to being able to fulfill the duties required rather than being popular on community boards.

Congratulations.
Jan 16, 2016 1:47 AM

May 2008
Dan said:
I don't think the amount of forum posts are great predictors in their activity (or their ability to work as a moderator); anime moderators are more behind-the-scenes type folks, so it certainly comes down to being able to fulfill the duties required rather than being popular on community boards.

Lots of posts =/= popular, lol.

I know it's not the only factor, but as I said I personally think it's the best way to get a feel for somebody's personality. If you hire someone with no forum posts and they turn out to be a huge asshole, what're you gonna do then? At least if someone already interacts with users (which is stated in the requirements as being important) you know what you're getting, and you can weed out those who are obviously trolling/have no idea how to deal with people.
Jan 16, 2016 1:50 AM

Jul 2015
Welcome to the team! I'm sure they'll do a great job :)
Jan 16, 2016 1:53 AM

Nov 2014
Zazie122 said:
Dan said:
If you hire someone with no forum posts and they turn out to be a huge asshole, what're you gonna do then?
Kineta prefers clean souls.
The less they post the more work is done.

Jan 16, 2016 1:57 AM

Aug 2015
Congrats to the chosen ones, now do your job while it's hot :D
Jan 16, 2016 2:12 AM

Jan 2015
Zazie122 said:
Xenocrisi said:

Here's mine

I guess you had enough knowledge to become an Anime DB Moderator, but perhaps there were people who has done the application better(?)
And well yeah, I'm surprised that you didn't become a Anime DB Moderator.

Mod Edit: I don't post your PMs on the site, so please don't post mine :(
KinetaJan 16, 2016 6:58 AM
Jan 16, 2016 2:14 AM

Jan 2015
Zazie122 said:

Lots of posts =/= popular, lol.

I naturally find individuals with many forums posts to be quite popular on MAL; this is not always the case since it is merely a correlation.

Zazie122 said:

I know it's not the only factor, but as I said I personally think it's the best way to get a feel for somebody's personality. If you hire someone with no forum posts and they turn out to be a huge asshole, what're you gonna do then? At least if someone already interacts with users (which is stated in the requirements as being important) you know what you're getting, and you can weed out those who are obviously trolling/have no idea how to deal with people.

There's also IRC. Individuals that may not be active on the forums can be active over there. Since staff members are required to idle, they can probably gauge the individual in terms of how they're interacting with the community generally. Also, individuals that send submissions quite frequently prior to moderator applications are probably noticeable already.

I certainly think there are good reasons and intentions on why an individual with absolutely no forum posts (as of this moment) to join the staff.

Anyway, I don't know your application (and I never applied), so I cannot genuinely speak about this. I'm also not Kineta.
Jan 16, 2016 2:18 AM

May 2015
yeah whatever

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Jan 16, 2016 2:36 AM

Jul 2012
Congratulations!
Jan 16, 2016 2:37 AM

May 2008
Dan said:

I naturally find individuals with many forums posts to be quite popular on MAL; this is not always the case since it is merely a correlation.

There are several trolls with thousands of posts, though it really does depend on how many posts we're talking about here tbh.

There's also IRC. Individuals that may not be active on the forums can be active over there. Since staff members are required to idle, they can probably gauge the individual in terms of how they're interacting with the community generally. Also, individuals that send submissions quite frequently prior to moderator applications are probably noticeable already.

True, I'm not an IRC user. But the forums have a much bigger userbase, and it's also a different kind of interaction.

I've submitted several corrections (which get ignored for no good reason half the time) and info changes. While entry submissions themselves are important, I've hardly seen any of the new mods in the anime database forum, which is where corrections go. Of course, that's not to say they don't post there, it's just that no usernames stick out to me.

I certainly think there are good reasons and intentions on why an individual with absolutely no forum posts (as of this moment) to join the staff.

Anyway, I don't know your application (and I never applied), so I cannot genuinely speak about this. I'm also not Kineta.

It's just fishy to me. You don't hire very active community members who help out a lot, yet you'll hire someone who shows no indication of such simply based off an application? Sure, the application itself is the most important thing, but how are regular users meant to know that they've previously contributed in any way and know what they're doing? I'm not saying there's anything bad about any of the new mods, because I have no problems with them, I just find it all a bit strange.

Xenocrisi said:

I guess you had enough knowledge to become an Anime DB Moderator, but perhaps there were people who has done the application better(?)
And well yeah, I'm surprised that you didn't become a Anime DB Moderator.

I'm not even mad that it's not me, honestly. Only slightly annoyed. I'd just like some sort of indication as to why I wasn't chosen. That's all. And maybe some reasons why the staff that they did pick were chosen, so I know that thought actually went into this and it wasn't all bias.
Jan 16, 2016 2:40 AM
Mar 2015
Congratulations to everyone. I hope that the new blood will bring some major improvements in quality of anime DB of MAL. Never say die; you can do it, guys!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by mushfik002 »»
9 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

422 by Hayukoo »»
Yesterday, 8:30 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3332 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.