Forum Settings
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 13, 2016 11:03 PM

Sep 2015
I don't know if this is recent or not, but I noticed on a manga site I use that Vinland Saga is dropped by Kodansha Comics. So if this is true, does that mean there won't be any further omnibus volumes to buy in the U.S.?

They currently have up to volume 7 available to buy.
Jan 13, 2016 11:17 PM

Mar 2014
Kodansha said they'd drop it if the volume sevens sales were poor as the rest of the volumes.
Jan 13, 2016 11:28 PM

Sep 2015
ziggy_Z said:
Kodansha said they'd drop it if the volume sevens sales were poor as the rest of the volumes.

Well that sucks, I thought it was a successful manga in the U.S.

Will another company pick it up?
Jan 13, 2016 11:57 PM

Jan 2015
I haven't seen any official statement from Kodansha though. If they were really dropping it, wouldn't they at least post something on Twitter?

My Manga / Light Novel Collection: EN | FR | LN
Jan 14, 2016 12:17 PM

Jun 2015
If it's true that's bad news because I was planning to read it at some point. I liked the theme and the drawing.
Jan 29, 2016 10:42 PM

Dec 2015
Amazon isn't showing a listing for volume 8, so it doesn't look to good.

To be honest, I wasn't completely surprised. I was one of the (apparently many) people who dropped it - the storytelling just wasn't doing it for me, and the releases were fairly expensive.
Jan 29, 2016 10:44 PM

Nov 2014
Are you talking about physical copies? Or translations? (I plan to start reading soon)

Jan 30, 2016 3:18 PM

Jan 2010
ExTamplier said:
Are you talking about physical copies? Or translations? (I plan to start reading soon)

It's about the physical releases in English, not about the scanlations, they just continue.
Jan 30, 2016 4:07 PM

Nov 2014
chomio said:
ExTamplier said:
It's about the physical releases in English, not about the scanlations, they just continue.
Sucks for those who want to buy it.

Jan 31, 2016 7:07 AM

Jan 2010
ExTamplier said:
chomio said:

Indeed, I'm also an victim from it, because I'm also buying the manga.
Feb 23, 2016 9:56 AM
Apr 2013
darkbirt said:
ExTamplier said:

any news on this I cant find anything...... I wanted to start buying it.....
Feb 23, 2016 10:36 PM

Oct 2013

Thread moved from Manga Discussion to the Vinland Saga Series Board.
For discussions relating to a specific manga, please use the manga specific series board.
Feb 24, 2016 6:29 AM

May 2014
I thought that the 8th volume wouldn't come out for now since the translations have caught up. Or am I wrong?
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Feb 24, 2016 6:38 AM
Feb 2016
Horkus said:
I haven't seen any official statement from Kodansha though. If they were really dropping it, wouldn't they at least post something on Twitter?

I sure hope not, because that would be very unfortunate.
ExTamplier said:
chomio said:

Yeah....T_T

Feb 24, 2016 7:31 AM

Jan 2014
Really, this need to be animated soon. EMERGENCY
Feb 24, 2016 11:23 AM

Sep 2015
HiatusXHiatus said:
Really, this need to be animated soon. EMERGENCY

Yeah I'm actually hoping for that as well.
Feb 24, 2016 11:42 AM

Jun 2013
Even if they continue the english release, they'll release volume 8th and then stop for a while since there are only 17 volumes out in Japan, and the books in english are 2-in-1, the 8th book would be the last.
Feb 24, 2016 1:28 PM
Apr 2013
in the end I decided to buy first 4 books :D and its alrdy shipped :D
Feb 25, 2016 1:07 PM

Dec 2015
LK09 said:
Fengwu said:
Amazon isn't showing a listing for volume 8, so it doesn't look to good.

To be honest, I wasn't completely surprised. I was one of the (apparently many) people who dropped it - the storytelling just wasn't doing it for me, and the releases were fairly expensive.

Yep, I think people were hyping this series too much, in order to hopefully keep it in print.

Dropped it after 6 volumes. Shit was too fictional for me. The dude chucking that spear a mile across a valley did it for me. I don't know, guess I was expecting something more realistic and not so action-comic-like.

I don't know about hyping it up too much. I honestly felt like the series was just poorly written. It had some good ideas and a practical basis, but things would happen seemingly out of nowhere and the character arcs weren't fully developed, leading to jarring shifts. I haven't read the Vinland Saga itself, but I feel like a 700 year old poem needs a bit more work to create a modern narrative than what Yukimura-sensei put it. It's a shame because this manga and the TV show Vikings (and a lot of similar books/tv shows/movies) have a lot of similar problems but I just really want something about vikings...! -clenches fist dramatically-
Apr 5, 2016 10:58 AM

Sep 2015
Fengwu said:
LK09 said:

Yep, I think people were hyping this series too much, in order to hopefully keep it in print.

Dropped it after 6 volumes. Shit was too fictional for me. The dude chucking that spear a mile across a valley did it for me. I don't know, guess I was expecting something more realistic and not so action-comic-like.

I don't know about hyping it up too much. I honestly felt like the series was just poorly written. It had some good ideas and a practical basis, but things would happen seemingly out of nowhere and the character arcs weren't fully developed, leading to jarring shifts. I haven't read the Vinland Saga itself, but I feel like a 700 year old poem needs a bit more work to create a modern narrative than what Yukimura-sensei put it. It's a shame because this manga and the TV show Vikings (and a lot of similar books/tv shows/movies) have a lot of similar problems but I just really want something about vikings...! -clenches fist dramatically-

You guys are putting too much emphasis on realism. The author even said that this work was inspired loosely by the ancient Saga, but its mostly fiction. It's suppose to be entertaining, and the sagas themselves talked about unrealistic things happening, with gods and all that jazz. The action sequences are not 100% realistic but you are forgetting this is a manga, and for that the action is more realistic than the majority of manga out there.

The t.v. show vikings is just that a T.V. show depicting the saga of Ragnar. They are going to spice it up without a doubt. Sure they add mystical things like visions and seers and prophecy... but the reason why they show this on the history channel is to gain insight into viking life and culture, as well as some other important figures during those times so the show is actually about 50 to 60 percent accurate. Also remember that originally the Sagas were passed on by word of mouth, so they aren't as reliable as some would like to think. When things get passed on by word of mouth there are key things that are likely to change.

I don't think Vinland Saga was overhyped at all, especially when I look at other manga that a lot of people are reading. I enjoyed the art style very much and i was happy that there was finally a viking themed manga out there.
Apr 8, 2016 11:17 AM

Dec 2015
Dzutqo said:
Fengwu said:

You guys are putting too much emphasis on realism. The author even said that this work was inspired loosely by the ancient Saga, but its mostly fiction. It's suppose to be entertaining, and the sagas themselves talked about unrealistic things happening, with gods and all that jazz. The action sequences are not 100% realistic but you are forgetting this is a manga, and for that the action is more realistic than the majority of manga out there.

The t.v. show vikings is just that a T.V. show depicting the saga of Ragnar. They are going to spice it up without a doubt. Sure they add mystical things like visions and seers and prophecy... but the reason why they show this on the history channel is to gain insight into viking life and culture, as well as some other important figures during those times so the show is actually about 50 to 60 percent accurate. Also remember that originally the Sagas were passed on by word of mouth, so they aren't as reliable as some would like to think. When things get passed on by word of mouth there are key things that are likely to change.

I don't think Vinland Saga was overhyped at all, especially when I look at other manga that a lot of people are reading. I enjoyed the art style very much and i was happy that there was finally a viking themed manga out there.

The problem is, the series holds itself as being at least more realistic than the average manga, especially in its art and goals. And inspired or not I, as a historian and medievalist, am going to critique your work. I'm not saying the TV show should not have used seers - I'm saying it should know its history well enough to know that Ragnar Lodbrok was not the first Scandinavian to think England existed. And sagas, like all histories, are generally reflective of the time they were recorded, not necessarily just what they're telling.

And as I said, my umbrage with both of these series is more that the poor storytelling and character development made the mistakes so much more obvious, and unforgivable. I want a Viking manga, but I'm not going to like something just because it's about Vikings if it doesn't work as a strong story.
Apr 8, 2016 10:01 PM

Sep 2015
Fengwu said:
Dzutqo said:

The problem is, the series holds itself as being at least more realistic than the average manga, especially in its art and goals. And inspired or not I, as a historian and medievalist, am going to critique your work. I'm not saying the TV show should not have used seers - I'm saying it should know its history well enough to know that Ragnar Lodbrok was not the first Scandinavian to think England existed. And sagas, like all histories, are generally reflective of the time they were recorded, not necessarily just what they're telling.

And as I said, my umbrage with both of these series is more that the poor storytelling and character development made the mistakes so much more obvious, and unforgivable. I want a Viking manga, but I'm not going to like something just because it's about Vikings if it doesn't work as a strong story.

It never made the claim that Ragner was the first Scandinavian to think England existed. Sure there were people before him. However, the story is of Ragner and that period during the Viking age. In fact it was typical that history wasn't properly recorded and maybe the vikings during that period didn't know everything about the vikings before them... well whatever the case that isn't important nor the point.

I find both Vikings t.v. show, and Vinland saga to be entertaining, and they accomplish what they set out to do imho. I do appreciate the art style of Vinland saga. There is a lot more worse manga out there that receives credit where it is not do. The only part I didn't like was the farming part in vinland saga. I didn't care for that. It isn't perfect, but then again I don't consider anything perfect.

It also doesn't bother me that they made Leif Erikson look like a modern day hipster.

Anyways, I didn't see anywhere where the manga author claim its more realistic than other manga. While I myself believe it is a lot more realistic than a lot of manga's out there.

If there will be something fully realistic about vikings it won't be in a T.V. show, and especially not a manga written by a Japanese dude. On the History channel they did have programs that talked about the viking age significantly and accurately, but that isn't really a t.v. show where people act. Its a bunch of historians talking about history.
DzutqoApr 8, 2016 10:32 PM
Apr 8, 2016 10:04 PM

Sep 2009
I can see why it'd be dropped. Way too slow, for what it had to offer.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 8, 2016 10:35 PM

Sep 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
I can see why it'd be dropped. Way too slow, for what it had to offer.

Well the NA license version, its still going to go on in Japan. But there is nothing definite about Kodansha dropping it for NA.
Apr 9, 2016 2:21 PM

Dec 2015
And after all that: it looks like Kodansha's publishing the next volume Stateside this fall.

http://kodanshacomics.tumblr.com/post/142501272561/emerald-city-comicon-announcement-2-vinland-saga

I hope this manages to answer OP's question.
Apr 9, 2016 2:24 PM

Jun 2014
Hardcover releases are expensive and that's likely why they were thinking about cancelling it. If Attack on Titan, for example, had hardcover releases they would continue releasing it like that no problem due to the high sales. But Vinland Saga is much more niche and they need demand to maintain the cost.

But good news that it's not cancelled, I was thinking about buying the releases soon.
Apr 9, 2016 7:08 PM

Sep 2015
Fengwu said:
And after all that: it looks like Kodansha's publishing the next volume Stateside this fall.

http://kodanshacomics.tumblr.com/post/142501272561/emerald-city-comicon-announcement-2-vinland-saga

I hope this manages to answer OP's question.

That is great :D, I'm happy they decided to continue it.
Jun 2, 2016 9:53 PM

Dec 2013
The farm arc killed this series for a lot of people and the sales seem to show that. Honestly the farm arc isnt as bad as what people make it out to be but it is a 180 for the reader.
Jun 20, 2016 1:34 AM
Jan 2015
ScapaFlow47 said:
The farm arc killed this series for a lot of people and the sales seem to show that. Honestly the farm arc isnt as bad as what people make it out to be but it is a 180 for the reader.

+1
I began to read Vinland Saga last week (and caught up to the last chapter) and it was so good !
I don't understand people who complain about "no more big fight, blood and whatever", "Thorfinn not badass anymore" ... I think it's pretty good to see a character evolve or change. A lot of manga out there do it badly or after 400 chapters so....
Jun 20, 2016 1:08 PM
Mar 2014
So is there any hope left for this manga?
Jun 20, 2016 4:39 PM

Mar 2014
Lust said:

What do you mean? Hope for what?
Jun 21, 2016 9:12 AM
Mar 2014
ziggy_Z said:
Lust said:

What do you mean? Hope for what?

It seems like it has been 1+ years since the last chapter released, i've only read 5 chapters so far and i'm realy intrested in it but if the manga is dead i'm not gonna bother reading it even if it is realy good i don't want to be left with a empty feeling.
Jun 21, 2016 11:06 AM
Apr 2012
Lust said:
It seems like it has been 1+ years since the last chapter released, i've only read 5 chapters so far and i'm realy intrested in it but if the manga is dead i'm not gonna bother reading it even if it is realy good i don't want to be left with a empty feeling.

A new chapter came out late last month bro.

They mean't that the English volumes got dropped, but recently it's has been announced for a comeback.

English Vol. 8 will be out December 2016
Jun 21, 2016 12:17 PM
Mar 2014
Fumito said:
Lust said:

They mean't that the English volumes got dropped, but recently it's has been announced for a comeback.

Oh i see, that's awsome!
Jun 21, 2016 12:55 PM

Nov 2014
darkbirt said:
ExTamplier said:
Take my condolences.

Jun 21, 2016 8:19 PM

Mar 2014
Lust said:
Fumito said:

Oh i see, that's awsome!

It's a monthly release. Chapters actually do come out :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 191 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BigPPFumiya - Feb 25, 2022

74 by jgreene »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 209 Discussion

ryzxgum - Feb 23

22 by TheMangaManiac »»
Apr 15, 4:41 PM

» vinland saga manga is ending soon

deg - Apr 13

6 by Hei316 »»
Apr 14, 9:31 AM

» Some great music to listen to while reading?

Ghoultulhu - Aug 26, 2015

8 by enigmasauce »»
Apr 5, 8:10 AM

» vinland saga 210 release date?

CRG - Apr 2

1 by deg »»
Apr 2, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.