Forum Settings
Forums

Untold sexism of growing up and work roles in early adulthood.

New
Jan 12, 2016 12:46 AM

Aug 2013
Do you ever find it odd that most men, women as well when they're teenagers/first few jobs always seem to land themselves as males taking menial physical labor roles and as females having to take shop jobs. Almost all men at some point in their lives have had to work that job, the one where you carry the boxes, work the machinery, work in a packing plant or as a builders apprentice. Typical man roles, meanwhile young women tend to get roles in stores or in places of care.

Why is it we're fulfilling outdated stereotypes still in the majority. Is it truly men and women picking their early jobs many of which cerement them in a gender stereotyped role for the rest of their lives. Or is society making them take jobs assigned to them by their gender and this isn't speaking of the people who want to go into these jobs or careers but the general population that feels compelled to take these jobs. I doubt I was the only young man ill equip for the roles presented to me but assumed right because of the gender of the participant. Now thats not to say that when times are tough you should be ready to assume many roles and im not saying a man should shy away from manual labour but when you have education in something completely different yet are told the only work you can do is say dock worker, builder, factory worker as a young man to earn your pay. I began to realize that most boys of 16 and up into late teenage years all had to take similar jobs no matter how weedy, nerdy or defiantly not suited to the role it seems all boys had to cut their teeth so to speak working the docks or the factory and usually they did horribly been ill suited to the role their gender assumed fit them. It can't help but seem you're been fitted for a future role based on your gender, not your education.

SpooksJan 12, 2016 1:20 AM
Jan 12, 2016 1:00 AM

Nov 2014
Sorry, but Too long didn't read brother.

Jan 12, 2016 1:16 AM

Nov 2011
Personal choice is sexism! We should force women into combat roles, mining jobs, and sewage disposal!
The Art of Eight
Jan 12, 2016 1:18 AM

Jul 2013
dankickyou said:
Personal choice is sexism! We should force women into combat roles, mining jobs, and sewage disposal!
He's not saying that in the slightest. If you bothered to read the post you'd see that he's arguing on behalf of both sides.

Personally I don't see this taking effect where I live. In my area I see more teenage males going into further education rather than onto labor work.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 12, 2016 1:21 AM

Sep 2009
I wouldn't go so far as to call it sexism, but gender roles are ingrained into pretty much all societies. It's kinda "just there" the way guys don't wear skirts/dresses, and girls do.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 12, 2016 1:25 AM

Jul 2014
Spooks said:
It can't help but seem you're been fitted for a future role based on your gender, not your education.

Apart from some romanticism about the son deciding to go into the same line of work as the father, literally nobody is encouraged to do manual labor. That's why we get educated in the first place. Who the fuck wants to dig ditches for 40 years? Not any men or women I know. I think that initial manual labor is like a warning: this is what is going to happen to you if you don't upgrade yourself.
Jan 12, 2016 1:25 AM

Oct 2014
As a man even on mal you will get told to suck it up.

People say they want equality but only actually want the good parts.

Raising questions like are we really equal, does hard work pay off or are some simply going to be at advantage regardless(options wise)?

A grim look at things but this is our reality.

Even you may get looked at as being "unfair" when treating everyone the same,
do it anyway, you will be better off or at least feel so.
I have a self destructive disease inside that eats away at me,
there is no place for it in this world,
this disease is righteousness.
Jan 12, 2016 1:28 AM

Aug 2013
Fuchsia said:
Personally I don't see this taking effect where I live. In my area I see more teenage males going into further education rather than onto labor work.

Yes a lot of people do tend to go into further education I can only speak for what Ive seen in general but most young men Ive met their first or first few jobs were manual roles even if they were studying computing, art ect they'd all end up working factory/warehouse jobs to make ends meet whilst studying, myself included.

the problem tends to be the first work a lot of guys can only get is in those places and after that people start hiring based on your work experience over your general education they see you worked warehouse so you land even more warehouse work and you have to make ends meet. Before long you have a list of manual jobs on your CV and only getting that work its happened with a few people I used to know. It set them up going forward to work jobs that society expected of them and they found it harder to break away. You only take those jobs because they're the only ones hiring you all the manual jobs tend to hire you just because they need more men but it stereotypes you. Not everyone but Ive seen my fair share of college guys fall into the same trap end up having to work MAN jobs when all they want to do is something totally different but society needs them as factory staff so they're factory staff for life.

Your first job if you're not careful can really set you up in the not good way. Especially if you don't land a job before you leave higher education. Experience is king its like an rpg don't go putting your exp into swords even if the game makes it easier and almost a necessity to survive early on with swords if you ever intend to use the bow later on because you'll be stuck as a warrior forever. The problem is the jobs that are easily available for young men are all gender stereotyped roles other jobs are mostly closed off to them or available mainly to women to the point its not worth guys even applying. Vice versa for women wanting to go into mainly male roles although some effort has been made changing this dynamic for women.
SpooksJan 12, 2016 1:50 AM
Jan 12, 2016 2:21 AM

May 2014
Fuchsia said:
dankickyou said:
He's not saying that in the slightest. If you bothered to read the post you'd see that he's arguing on behalf of both sides.

He is just joking man , lighten up ...

@OP im not sure how much of this is true, but i think at a young age you dont have much to offer (no degree) so naturally you will land a job that fits your demographic.
I did some household appliance maintenance (which required some heavy labor) with my dad when i was younger.
Jan 12, 2016 3:06 AM

Jul 2015
i washed tombstones as a kid
was thought that jobs like carpenter, engineer, fireman were the dream jobs
ended up having job sitting in office tapping on a computer keyboard all day
in the end, it's one's own interests which will determine future job
Jan 12, 2016 6:16 AM

Sep 2014
I can't say I've ever really noticed this myself. As ZA_WAYD said, when you're young you usually don't have many qualifications or job experience, so you just have to take what you're given.

Men being more commonly tasked for manual labour work is more to do with actual biological differences between the sexes I believe. Men, in general, are physically stronger than women, especially in upper body strength, so it makes sense to employ more men in these roles than women.
Of course not all men will fit the "criteria", and some women may be more suited to the task than some men.

I think when it comes to gender roles, a lot of people just choose to adhere to them regardless of whether or not they're "forced" to, either because it's easier for them as that gender to get into that role, or it's something they genuinely want to do.
Jan 12, 2016 7:49 AM

Feb 2015
any kind of prejudice is bad, but what are you going to do about it? all of it just boils down to respect, and that's all out of willpower and willpower alone. you can't make a person respect anything/one he or she does not want to respect.

i'm not saying sit down and let women get run over; at least on a legal way. legally, i believe women can (eventually) get what they want. but morally? yeah, nice try. i'll be the first to kill your feet if it happens but i seriously doubt it.
Jan 12, 2016 8:10 AM
Jul 2018
I pick up rebar and forms that are thousands of pounds a day

tis a struggle but I make money so idgaf
Jan 12, 2016 8:20 AM

Jan 2016
Spooks> I don't know where you live, but in the U.S., yes it does feel like traditional gender roles still apply. Whether or not they are cemented is another story. I don't know how we compare to all the other countries. To other countries, any disruption of gender roles may seem radical, and we may appear progressive here.

Speaking from personal experience, I am a female and I started out bussing dishes at restaurants and working outdoors, which wasn't my first choice, but was all I could get to work through college at the time. I may be the odd lady out, though.
Jan 12, 2016 8:26 AM

Aug 2013
Veneficia said:
I pick up rebar and forms that are thousands of pounds a day

tis a struggle but I make money so idgaf

Something told me you were a transformer....
Jan 12, 2016 12:18 PM
Feb 2014
Milo is that you?

Go back to Twitter fam

More topics from this board

» I got spooked by a water bottle

tsukareru - Yesterday

21 by tsukareru »»
8 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

22 by JaniSIr »»
19 minutes ago

» Fill this thread with the most questionable statement or two you can think of!

IAmOdie - Apr 20

34 by Zarutaku »»
32 minutes ago

» I'm currently on a keto diet.

scarydragon - Apr 18

16 by GinIonSui »»
34 minutes ago

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

44 by Smugdear »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.