Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 10, 2016 7:31 PM

Jul 2013
Something improved in this episode. Something visual. Not sure if the animation or the artysle? But definitely something improved. Maybe because it's the first episode of the year? lol

Hope Luffy would just kick his ass already. This arc has been going on for waaaaaay too long.
Jan 11, 2016 1:27 AM
Jan 2016
just deal with the 5 mins of intro and recap.. its usual.. that said..

gear fourth made me all giddy and happy.. i love it... im thinking akumas wrath style lol
Jan 11, 2016 5:21 AM

Dec 2014
finally gear fourth..everybody is like ..finally lol
Jan 11, 2016 5:33 AM

Jan 2014
Can't wait.Next week it so hard, maybe.
Jan 11, 2016 9:32 AM
Jul 2015
This episode is a preview of a really interesting episode. Waiting 726 HYPE
Jan 11, 2016 12:23 PM

Jan 2010
my god, 2 weeks for this awful 12 minuts slide show quality episode
Final Fantasy VII is a shitty game.
Jan 11, 2016 4:50 PM

May 2014
Fuck. Have to wait to next week for gear fourth. LOl, when the voice actor said it, it made me laugh. Well, it didn't come as a shock or exciting since I got the whole shit spoiled. -.-'

Still, gonna be epic how he is gonna defeat Mingo with it and what new moves he has up his sleeve. xD
Jan 13, 2016 12:05 AM

Oct 2011
GEAR FOURTH OMG!!!!!!
Jan 13, 2016 8:01 PM

Jul 2014
Hopefully next episode has good animation.
Jan 13, 2016 8:30 PM

Apr 2014
Quite dissapointed with the pronounciation of ' Gear Fourth" because Luffy trying to say it in engligh, I clearly thought it's gonna be spoken way more japanese when I read the manga, like the previous 2, "Sekando" and "Saardo", so it would be "Foordo".
And Luffy voice acting is kinda 'bad' this episode, it lacks dynamic that he usually had, he usually manage to deliver the speech in a calm tone even though he is super angry, in this episode, all he does is screaming, screaming and more screaming, devoid of dynamic like he usually has.
The animation was pretty sluggish most of the time when it comes to fighting scene BUT i glad they put some special effect to their attack, it adds to the flashiness and the intense of the fight that didn't particularly showed in the manga.

BUT THE GODDAMN PREVIEWS SURE IS HYPE AS FUCK!!!!
Jan 15, 2016 10:12 AM
Sep 2010
At first I was just joking, you can't beat Mingo, just make something up invent gear 4 :D

At the end I was wut? O_O
Jan 16, 2016 6:25 AM

Oct 2014
Finally caught up it's taken me ages to binge watch all 725 episodes but damn was it worth it and just when he's about to use Gear Fourth it cuts out forcing me to wait a week for the next episode
Jan 19, 2016 6:23 AM

Jan 2012
finally, i liked the part when i heard gear fourth.

Jan 22, 2016 7:48 PM

Jan 2014
Pretty much just build up for Gear Fourth, so let's see if they saved enough to give the following episodes the special treatment.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jan 24, 2016 9:38 AM

Apr 2013
The animation was very Toei this episode.
Jan 31, 2016 8:19 PM
Aug 2011
Need Law X Cavendish doujins pls.
Feb 11, 2016 1:45 PM

Jan 2013
Cabbage ... what a man!
"If you're going to die, it's got to be after me"

OH DAMN! ... GEAR FOURTH!
The way he said fourth ... something about it.
Feb 17, 2016 9:15 AM

Mar 2014
holy shit i am way too hyped right now
Apr 30, 2016 4:40 AM

Oct 2012
Boundman Gear Fourth!
I'm waiting you for so long! xD
"Signature removed"
Aug 17, 2016 7:54 PM

Mar 2015
Whoa whoa whoa gear fourth! Soon he'll have gear reverse just like any good old manual car
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 22, 2016 9:42 AM

Sep 2014
good episode since got to see some actions. come on gear 4th really hype :)
Jan 1, 2017 1:23 PM
Mar 2015
Again. I only see complaining here. Useless site.
Mar 5, 2017 9:01 PM

Mar 2012
Luffy's about to go hard :o
May 12, 2017 6:35 AM

May 2014
Given Doffy's abilities it's pretty easy for him to evade Luffy's stronger attacks, but finally 4th gear is happening so I'm excited to see what it is! Maybe a mixture of 2nd & 3rd?

Also, major respect for Cavendish this episode- he really is a knight despite his rather shallow side. Not only did he save Robin, but he also chose to stay with Law to see the outcome of the fight he's been waiting for for 13 years!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2017 6:25 PM

May 2010
omg omg omg omg gear...fourth!
Dec 24, 2017 10:44 PM

Dec 2014
HOLY SHIT
I knew he was going to say "fourth gear" during that dramatic pause. It felt too natural
Nov 24, 2018 2:12 PM
Aug 2017
Doflamingo was turned into evil, but even now, being the "charismatic evil", he says some things that make you doubt Luffy. Straw Hats don't really care about the casualties, they're just pursuing their dreams and the only thing that bothers them is those who stand in their way. Just like Zoro who cut the statue guy and didn't care about the rocks hitting his comrades, just like King who repelled the rocks not thinking about the civilian casualties.

As much as I love everyone (except Luffy) in One Piece, you can't deny that they don't care about common folk, so Doflamingo is on the right here. I think, if Doffy wasn't spoiled by his stupid parents and then the "family", he could have turned out better than Luffy who, even at such a crucial time, doesn't seem to care about anything unless it "stands in his way".

The episode was good, though. I just wish they'd fasten up the pacing.
Also you don't have to like recaps. Recaps are there to remind you what's going, in case if you're watching OP on a weekly basis, and like it or not but you can't remember everything that happened a week ago. If you're binging like I do, just watch a recap at the beginning of the session and then skip it with the next episodes.
Nov 24, 2018 2:24 PM
Aug 2017
Strawberrycake48 said:
Given Doffy's abilities it's pretty easy for him to evade Luffy's stronger attacks, but finally 4th gear is happening so I'm excited to see what it is! Maybe a mixture of 2nd & 3rd?

Also, major respect for Cavendish this episode- he really is a knight despite his rather shallow side. Not only did he save Robin, but he also chose to stay with Law to see the outcome of the fight he's been waiting for for 13 years!

I wouldn't say that Cavendish is shallow, he just happened to love popularity just like Luffy loves meat, for example. Also it's not the only time when Cavendish put his popularity-rush on hold to help someone out, I'd even say that Cavendish's intention and motivation are more pure than, say, Bartolomeo which doesn't help anyone except Straw Hats.
Jan 7, 2020 8:03 PM
Aug 2017
Yooooooo!!! I didnt expect gear 4th to appear this early, proly cuz ik binging lmaooo. HYPE!!!!
Mar 20, 2020 1:46 PM

Jun 2016
A strong question arises as we watch Dressrosa. Who is best boy? Is it Cavendish or Bartolomeo? I am also somewhat annoyed by both as their static gags get too much screen time in my mind. However, both are endearing. Both of them are built on two contrasting sides which are both funny and admirable, and both can be a blast. Cabbage has constantly reminded us of how great he can be ever since he yelled at the crowd for insulting Rebecca. As he defended Robin, as he had a sense of obligation to take Doflamingo down, as he defended the hurt Bartolomeo or now defends Law while respecting and understanding his wish. He has a sense of honour which at times overpowers his overwhelming sense of vanity. The smile he made after telling Robin to leave wasn’t a smile that represented his vanity, I think it was a smile which represented him holding true to his values. I think Bartolomeo is more comedic than Cabbage, but he’s such a blast when he’s being an insufferable asshole, and I find it beautiful that Oda made a conduit for the audience like Barto. The fact that I can relate so strongly with someone in universe is amazing to me. But then again he’s shown distaste for the crowd of the colosseum, he’s loyal, and he’s strong willed, arguably naively or childishly defending his former enemy Bellamy. He’s definitely more than how he appears on the surface.

However, the true answer to who best boy of Dressrosa is for me comes down to the Wano samurai. This episode was a reinforcement of their sense of duty or obligation and gratitude, and their courage. Zoro asked his fellow swordsmen for help and without hesitation they agreed. And with how Kanjuro has only really made the balloon for Usopp, I bet he’s going to get a decent role in what’s coming. Overall, they give me hope for Wano. They make me excited for the day we can see it. I feel the Wano people, if anything like Kanjuro, Kin’emon and Momonosuke, will be a strong willed and kind people.

Meanwhile as Luffy and Doflamingo fought, despite it being the worst part of the episode in my opinion, full of trading blows without much sense of purpose other than setting it up so fourth gear is our only hope while Doffy laughed, there was one part of it I deeply enjoyed. That is, Doflamingo’s speech about how he’s kept his eyes on Luffy. He was suspicious that his boy Crocodile was taken down by a marine, he checked wanted posters and recognized one that went up in bounty at the same time and cracked the case. Before anybody’s eyes were on Luffy, before Enies Lobby, before the Celestial Dragon, before the War of the Best, Doflamingo was fully aware of Luffy. He was cautious of the D. in his name, as if this was fate, the boy he was worried about and saw first hand at the War of the Best, barreled forward for years and has now met Doffy in combat. That and the fact that we brought up the distinction of a pirate and a hero again… But, to Luffy, taking everything upon himself to fight for his friends and his crew, that is what being a pirate is all about and I don’t think that’s so different from some of the greats like Roger or Whitebeard.

Lastly, Luffy’s line about not letting anyone die is so much more powerful than if he had said that pre-Marineford. In a world where people only die in backstories, that sounds like a given, that it is a reality whether Luffy fights hard or not. But after the trauma and pain Luffy suffered and the work he put in, it’s now a constant test to see if Luffy can uphold that ideal. It’s not the first time he’s uttered that phrase either, if I recall he totally has in the past and I probably responded in the same way, this has become a big motivator for Luffy. For that is the freedom he fights for.
Sep 10, 2020 8:10 AM

Mar 2020
GEAR......... FOURTH!
May 26, 2021 5:35 AM

Apr 2021
OMG YES YES YES AAAAAAAA im hyped uppp
“I am the Dark Flame Master. Perish, enveloped in the flames of darkness!”
Jun 7, 2021 9:10 AM

May 2016
Cabbage is a true gentleman. Enough said!

Luffy's fight with Doflamingo's already thrilling enough, with the clashing kicks reminding me a lot of Rayleigh and Kizaru, but I never expected him to unleash Gear 4th in this fight, damn!

Aug 14, 2021 2:10 PM

Jun 2019
OH HELL YEAH!!! GIMME THAT GEAR FOURTH....
Aug 28, 2021 10:09 AM

Aug 2021
wtf Oda never ceases to amze me .... Luffy did it with gear 2 and 3rd at ennies lobby and now surely he will amaze me with 4th gear omfg!!!!
Jul 20, 2022 6:10 PM

Jan 2021
When Luffy said Gear Fourth I immediately got Goosebumps
Dec 25, 2022 10:37 AM

Dec 2021
OH MY GOD 4th GEAR MY ADRENALINE IS PEAKING MY BLOOD IS BOILING I'VE NEVER BEEN SO PUMPED ABOUT NEXT EP
Aug 6, 2023 7:18 PM

Nov 2012
Forgive me if I've said this before but the pacing of this arc in the anime is SO bad. It's an absolute slog to get through. Stuff like this makes me tell people to just read the manga, no matter how wonderfully animated some other parts of the series are.
Sep 8, 2023 9:27 AM
Oct 2019
Respect Cavendish!!

Oh shit, WTF!!
Fourth Gear??
Sep 11, 2023 9:10 AM
Mar 2023
GEAR 4TH!!!!!!!!
Dec 20, 2023 9:06 AM
Feb 2022
So Dressrosa is pretty much the arc when fans started to complain. Waiting a week for little progress really must be paintfull, but when you watch it all at once is really good. Just wait for the remake people.
Feb 27, 8:58 AM

Oct 2020
Looks like we're finally gonna see gear four !!!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» I miss the old fights.

NeutralSide - Sep 14, 2023

25 by NeutralSide »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1062 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AhriTheS3xyFox - May 20, 2023

328 by mihirmishra »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 229 Discussion

VARIAchan - Jan 5, 2010

42 by kejora »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 390 Discussion

enkil - May 5, 2009

40 by gannoncannon55 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 389 Discussion ( 1 2 )

VK11 - Feb 15, 2009

60 by gannoncannon55 »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.