Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 2016 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
Aoto is one interesting character!

I can't believe Aoto's parents treated Aoto like that!
Jan 8, 2016 11:24 AM
Jan 2015
Well, it seems like the anime takes the game art very heavily, with all the shading and such

Hopefully they won't change the in-game story too much but they probably will :v

OP is 10/10, hopefully they'll switch focuses on characters later
Jan 8, 2016 11:26 AM

Apr 2015
A bit confusing, but this series has promise. It kept my attention throughout.
Jan 8, 2016 11:41 AM

Aug 2013
Based on a mobile game right? Interesting...
Jan 8, 2016 11:58 AM

Apr 2014
Hm...kind of interesting, but still have a bit of question with this introduction episode.
First expression, it's okay and with some kind of dark past which make it more interesting.
So far so good IMO.
OP and ED are meh.
Jan 8, 2016 12:09 PM

Oct 2013
Average at best. Giving this a chance as well.
Jan 8, 2016 12:10 PM
Jan 2014
I wish the show could progress without dropping those "deep" monologues every two minutes... damn that boy is edgy as hell.

Otherwise, great OSTs and the action scenes seem good enough.
Jan 8, 2016 12:13 PM

Aug 2011
Decent. But got bad feelings about this...
Jan 8, 2016 12:26 PM

Jul 2007
Fucking brilliant art. Holy shit.
Fucking brilliant character designs. holy shit.
Fucking Brilliant OST. Holy shit
Very good directing.

The story on other hand can go to trash REAL FAST and i nothing special so far, but if anything this one might be worth for visuals alone.
Jan 8, 2016 12:26 PM
Feb 2015
I just can't understand all this hate is it because of the studio or because they don't like it. And don't say because it cliche lol every fucking anime is cliche and are all the same with some little difference. I loved the first episode and can't wait to see more as the story progresses
Jan 8, 2016 12:34 PM

Feb 2015
Well that was a utter car crash of an opening episode. It was a confusing mess of storytelling with some piss poor dialogue. The visuals are the only plus, it just felt like a load of scenes thrown together.

I'll give this one more episode but that was one of the worst opening episodes i've ever seen.
Jan 8, 2016 12:35 PM

Aug 2013
Z4k said:
rsc-pl said:

So.... I watched different show, right?

Yes.. you sure did.

https://rascal.pl/anime-manga-japonia/seriale-anime-zima-2016/#Divine-Gate
You are telling me that THOSE are good visuals? Please tell me that you are joking :D One of the worst looking shows of last years. Watch Musaigen no Phantom World and tell me again that Divine Gate looks even average.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 8, 2016 12:37 PM

Dec 2013
Tbh I was not expecting much from an anime that was based on a mobile game, but until now they managed to leave me mildly interested in the world, plot and Edgyoto.

The choice of VAs was very good and the opening was very beautiful. Quite liked the animation too.

3/5, let's see what will come from this.
Jan 8, 2016 12:44 PM

Nov 2009
Although I found the readhead guy and the green haired girl mildly annoying, it was decent enough, so I'll keep watching this.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 8, 2016 12:47 PM

Jan 2015
So Aoto killed his parents but at the same time he didn't huh. I had a theory about that but when I saw how he lived :/ Let's just say I was wrong .. :/ Hmm but It could be that he saw his little brother kill them and he could've saved them, but he didn't?? Something along those lines.
Jan 8, 2016 12:49 PM

Aug 2008
Way too much cheeze. The whole family backstory was so far-fetched it was harder to watch than what someone already called "emo poetry". Despite this, I think I'll check one or two more episodes before dropping it. Characters are pretty bad but maybe story itself will carry it for a while. I don't expect it to hold for long though.

mr_sam21 said:
And don't say because it cliche lol every fucking anime is cliche and are all the same with some little difference.
No, not every anime is cliche. Some are actually original and innovative and some repeat the same old story but do it well. When will people learn the difference between topos and cliche. Cliche is something done so badly it breaks immersion. There's a lot of cliche anime but it's not because they contain well known tropes, it's because they suck in telling a story, building the world and developing characters.
AntanaruJan 8, 2016 12:55 PM
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 8, 2016 12:53 PM

Apr 2014
Pretty fun, but Í want to know where this is going, 7/10
Jan 8, 2016 12:54 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Great visuals. Pretty good OST.
So far thats pretty much it.
That MC needs to calm the fk down with the edginess tho.
rsc-pl said:
Z4k said:

Yes.. you sure did.

https://rascal.pl/anime-manga-japonia/seriale-anime-zima-2016/#Divine-Gate
You are telling me that THOSE are good visuals? Please tell me that you are joking :D One of the worst looking shows of last years. Watch Musaigen no Phantom World and tell me again that Divine Gate looks even average.
Ofc Musaigen no phantom world is pretty much the best looking oen so far, but saying that that first episode of Divine Gate wasnt even average is pretty laughable imo.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 8, 2016 1:04 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Not bad, not good either. Too simplistic imo. The main character seems to pretentious and melodramatic.

3/5
Jan 8, 2016 1:06 PM

Aug 2013
DatRandomDude said:
but saying that that first episode of Divine Gate wasnt even average is pretty laughable imo.

It wasn't IMO. Every show from this season which I watched looks SUPERIOR comapring to this one. This kind of visuals are the worst thing which I can imagine. The only thing missing for total trash grade are characters in 3D
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 8, 2016 1:28 PM

Sep 2015
Divine_Gate said:
Pitter, patter, the rain starts to drop.
While the water may fill up the holes on the road,...
it will never fill up the hole of one's heart.

The droplet trickling down his cheek flows into the boy's heart,...
and while that may create a ripple,...
it will never become his tears.

aaaaaand dropped.

wow that was fast

ps: Saito Soma is probably one of the worst seiyuus for male roles
Nigami_ShinJan 8, 2016 1:33 PM

Jan 8, 2016 1:44 PM

Jan 2013
This episode was so heavy.... starting with so much drama. I'm curious how they'll develop Aoto's character, although I'm afraid it will develop in a cliché direction. And can I say that i find the character designs really boring? Does everyone really dress & has hair and eyes the same color associated w their power?
Jan 8, 2016 1:55 PM

Jul 2015
The animation and the rest was nice, but what really stand out is some of the character design, they are really some great one !
Jan 8, 2016 2:10 PM

Jun 2014
Well this one is off to a decent start. I am really liking the MC Aoto and he had one fucked up family! No wonder he is so depressing!

I can definitely relate with him considering that he was probably compared to his brother constantly and when it was found out that he wasn't as talented they neglected him. Which is something that no child should have to experience, so I really feel for him there!

Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out! The whole Arthur and the round table concept, the three races, and the whole Divine Gate concept intrigues me. Hoping they really develop this show and give us some depth.

Really enjoyed the colors and the art style, plus the OP/ED were also really good!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Jan 8, 2016 2:13 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
TheNaturalPerm said:
Main character's inner monologues are the most pretentious stuff I've heard in a while.

I'm not entirely sure if it's the main character's inner monologues because they're voiced by different VAs, but it does seem to be framed that way.

Of course there's no rule saying that the inner thoughts and the character has to have the same voice, but it would be a really odd choice to make, unless it's another version of the character (like say an older Aoto narrating), but the narrator's voice isn't deeper than Aoto's voice...but uh yeah, just wanted to suggest to other people as well that maybe the "emo poet" isn't Aoto. Maybe.

I did really like the art style though, it's kind of on the cute side but not super cute and instead looks quite awesome. I like the shading and the character designs, doesn't look like there are any outfits that look like the character designer is trying too hard to make the clothing unique, yet. I would agree though that the background visuals are alright, with lots of 3DCGI that could probably be blended in more. But nothing to complain about I guess, since I don't have lots of expectations for this. Did I mention that the OP was super awesome? That's one thing Studio Pierrot usually doesn't disappoint on (no I haven't forgotten about Tokyo Ghoul second season's, although it was rather unique).

As for the content of the first episode, it definitely had some melodramatic moments. Aoto's backstory is pretty heavy, although maybe too exaggerated to make us feel bad for him. Or it could've been done in a better way, I guess. Only reason I'm trying this out is for the VAs, particularly Kakki and Saito Soma. We'll see how this goes I guess, after that cliffhanger.
Jan 8, 2016 2:16 PM

Nov 2013
Lol so much hate for this anime, what happened to this community? everyone becomes so negative even this is only the first episode? the story isnt that generic, mc is a killer he admit it himself, that golden hair guy trying to give driver unit seems like a bad guy gathering all adapter in a place,

plus the poet they recite in this episode is in japanese, of course it will be funny if translated in other language. just like english poem that sounds stupid if translated to other language. sigh.

i can see this anime going dark real fast, dark anime always good.
blitz_21xJan 8, 2016 2:30 PM
Jan 8, 2016 2:17 PM

Dec 2014
I guess I was pretty bored for a majority of the episode, but it wasn't too bad. The opening song and visuals are really great though, so I know I'll stick around for that... as long as this doesn't get too boring.
Jan 8, 2016 2:21 PM

May 2011
It's not bad but it's not good either . It's just ... average, I will keep watching it to see what it will turned to ...
Jan 8, 2016 2:27 PM

Jan 2012
That was pretty good. I liked the visuals quite a bit, and the three main characters seem likable enough so far.
Jan 8, 2016 2:27 PM

Sep 2014
Not sure how to feel about this yet, I didn't like this episode but it was far from being bad. I find myself wanting to know more about Aoto.
Jan 8, 2016 2:28 PM

Sep 2013
Weeeelp it got really ridiculous and the writing was really wonky and all animu-like, but it's so close to how the game's written, can't help but like how they managed to get that DG feeling in the anime, oh the narm charm! (Apparently no protag is allowed to have an umbrella in this anime? Or is Aoto too poor to get one?)

I liked:
-The artstyle and visuals, I especially like how they did the three fairies with the effects around them.
-The BGM, though that sad one every time Aoto got into "Melancholy mode" got annoying
-The world, I imagined the DG world more fantasy-like, but now I'm glad they took the modern setting route.
-The voices
-The opening (well ending in this case)
-Tristan <3 Kay <3 Breunor <3

That was meh:
-The "Academy" setting. On one hand I understand they needed something to get the heroes together (because they almost never meet in the game and act separately, which is cool IG but would have been really confusing in the anime unless they got multiple seasons), on the other hand that's...pretty much a magical school isn't it? Not something fresh or new.
-The focus on Aoto/Akane/Midori, the heroes aren't really the most interesting characters of the story by themselves, it was their interactions with their own group that was fun to follow, that made them more than "character archetype N°x" imo , but none of them kept their group in the anime so...

Didn't like:
-How dramatic they made Aoto. Holy shi- yeah Aoto's story is sad but was it really necessary to make him so freaking edgy? (Ice-cold mackerel ramen? Really Aoto? )
I hope for him that the anime will stop trying to drill in our head that "Aoto is really sad ok?!".
-Metabon. Was a mascot character truly necessary? Is it going to be relevant in the plot in any way, or is it just yet another annoying and useless critter like we've seen countless of times before?
-A small detail, but the use of the game's sound effects in the anime (the "Ready to Move On" and the "Quest clear") seriously annoyed me. Why bringing game mechanics when the story really doesn't need it?
-Hikari, Yukari and Ginji as just background characters </3

People who didn't like the first ep probably won't like the rest, don't see how it can really get better honestly. As for me I expected that writing so I'm not surprised nor disappointed (except for Aoto's "Edge Lord" status, sheesh they really made him such a loser in the anime)
Jan 8, 2016 2:35 PM
Jul 2018
The setting is interesting and the animation of the elements is pretty cool but it dragged on for me, hopefully the rest are way better than this.
Jan 8, 2016 3:05 PM

Dec 2014
Though the series seems to have some potential, and i'm that the fire guy with no filter in his brain (aka natsu / naruto / every shounen MC) isn't the main character even if he just swapped positions with sasuke, uhh i mean my heart is so cold i put ice in my ramen guy. The first episode seemed kinda bad, not only 'cause it failed to hype me up for te series but because it felt like they didn't even try.. it as like here are some characters, here is some setting i'm not gonna explain to you right now (though this is something i actually counted as positive) aaaand... fin see you next week... maybe
kinda disappointed not gonna lie
Jan 8, 2016 3:14 PM

Aug 2015
Thought that Akane guy was the mc. lol I thought it was ok, wasn't impressed to be honest.
Jan 8, 2016 3:23 PM

Jun 2013
It wasn't half bad. I don't mind his emo indifferent personality.
And hearing Kakihara Tetsuya is always nice.
Jan 8, 2016 3:25 PM

Mar 2014
Hmm... I feel a bit disapointed with this first chapter, but well... I'll continue with a lot of hope! ^^.
Jan 8, 2016 3:35 PM

Jan 2008
The flashback was sad as hell, and pretty fucked up situation as well. It wasn't surprising that there was an underlying circumstance with that "parent-killer" thing, but now I don't feel sorry that the parents are dead for how they treated Aoto.
Jan 8, 2016 3:40 PM

May 2015
Not bad, it was an interesting first episode. Visuals were decent. That was a pretty painful past. Well, let's see how this one will be.

Jan 8, 2016 3:53 PM

Jan 2013
Well it was alright, I like the art style. Also the OP is ok.

Studio Pierrot pls, don't f*ck up everything like usual.
Jan 8, 2016 4:08 PM

Dec 2012
The setting is so lame.
Jan 8, 2016 4:14 PM

Jul 2015
Looks okay, I'm wondering how this'll turn out.

Jan 8, 2016 4:28 PM

Apr 2015
That was a crappy first episode. It's full of cliche lines, scenes and of course characters. If it continued this way, it will probably end up in the trash can
Jan 8, 2016 4:30 PM

Apr 2015
Nigami_Shin said:
Divine_Gate said:
Pitter, patter, the rain starts to drop.
While the water may fill up the holes on the road,...
it will never fill up the hole of one's heart.

The droplet trickling down his cheek flows into the boy's heart,...
and while that may create a ripple,...
it will never become his tears.

aaaaaand dropped.

wow that was fast

ps: Saito Soma is probably one of the worst seiyuus for male roles

You're absolutely right. What the hell is wrong with that cringe shitty line
Jan 8, 2016 4:33 PM

Sep 2015
It looks very interesting, good animation, story, art and great opening

Jan 8, 2016 4:41 PM

May 2011
Front-loading that angst, eh? I sort of like the character designs and I sort of don't. But the rest of it I know I didn't enjoy. The lead character makes me roll my eyes so hard at his internal dialogue. And then what felt like just being cryptic to be cryptic and not actually having depth moments, yikes.
Jan 8, 2016 4:52 PM

Apr 2015
Liking the OP. Seems like Aoto has to get through his emotional turmoil first before he joins Akane and Midori. Setting/world is okay so far, so maybe the next episode will save it a bit.
Jan 8, 2016 5:03 PM

Mar 2014
boring only liking the art style of the shadow
Jan 8, 2016 5:10 PM

Sep 2015
Kinda hard to follow. To be honest, this first episode feels like it's actually the nth episode, or even the climax. The background song at the end is nice, though. Reminds me a lot of the song used at the very end of Hakkenden season one.
Jan 8, 2016 5:11 PM

May 2015
This looks like a pretty bad ass anime, cant wait for it. Also, anyone know how long the sires will be? just curious, ill still watch it
Jan 8, 2016 5:14 PM

Apr 2014
SilentSuicideHD said:
This looks like a pretty bad ass anime, cant wait for it. Also, anyone know how long the sires will be? just curious, ill still watch it

Probably 12 episodes since they already announced 6 volumes for the BD/DVD.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Divine Gate Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

140 by Jonas-K »»
Mar 29, 8:43 PM

Poll: » Divine Gate Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

50 by Jonas-K »»
Mar 28, 10:10 PM

Poll: » Divine Gate Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 15, 2016

134 by Jonas-K »»
Mar 27, 2:50 PM

» End of Franchise

klakson188 - Nov 24, 2021

6 by HikarieChan »»
Dec 20, 2023 10:11 AM

» Didn't hate nor did I really like it

lola_ - Oct 21, 2021

3 by Br3dWinn3rs »»
Jul 1, 2022 10:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.