Forum Settings
Forums

Do you like it when Openings and Endings are dubbed in your language?

New
Jan 6, 2016 2:14 PM

Dec 2015
A long time ago , anime was so big that there were many dubs of tons of golden series. There were lots of version of just the 1st opening and the 1st ending .

Do you actually like when songs are translated and dubbed in your language? Or do you prefer the original Japanese songs.

For me , while i mostly prefer Japanese and subs , i would also love to hear a version in my language. I remember back then there were very beautiful themes that were translated and turned out , imo , better than the original but tha's just me.

And example , not going so far , is Sailor Moon. I like the original Japanese version of the ending Heart Moving but , the Latin American version is one of the best versions of that theme in my opinion , even sounding sweeter than the original to me at least.

Bias aside of course .

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 6, 2016 2:15 PM

Apr 2015
Whichever one sounds best, I like most. Doesn't matter what language It Is in.
Jan 6, 2016 2:20 PM

Nov 2015
I love them both. It deepens if I'm watching dub or sub. If I'm watching dub, I want a dub op. DB has awesome ops in Portuguese. Digimon Tamers as well. The first series of Pokemon even has better OP in English and in Portuguese than in Japanese.
Jan 6, 2016 2:21 PM

Apr 2014
I loved it when I was a kid and my country still dubbing a lot of anime back then but they stop doing those kind of things now.

Apr 2014
I'm not a huge fan of Ingrish, so Japanese is usually the way to go unless you actually sound good like the OP of Serial Experiments Lain.

Jul 2012
No, oh god no.

American versions make it worse :S

So many Japanese bands/singers that can't be "replicated" in English >_<
Jan 6, 2016 2:24 PM

Apr 2015
Yesss! But sometimes the accent of the singers makes it sound Japanese even if its sung in English. But more often than not, I love English OP'S and ED'S so I can sing along!

Example: See if you can tell the difference between

The English version Just Awake. The first ED of HXH.

And the Japanese version

I don't care if you don't listen
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2016 2:24 PM

Aug 2014
I hate english dubs of Japanese songs as someone who enjoys Japanese music.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jan 6, 2016 2:26 PM
Jul 2015

A masterpiece. Someone bring the Holy Water so I can clean my hears.
hi
Jan 6, 2016 2:27 PM

Feb 2013
the romanian opening for shaman king first lyric, "uite-te-n jur" sounded a lot like "uite te injur" which means "i swear at you"

otherwise, with my friends, whenever i start the first lyric of pokemon opening or shaman king, someone always follows up, so i'd say i like them since they're pretty iconic
but we didn't have many dubbed anime, and i think it's for the best; dubs work best for kids series imo
Jan 6, 2016 2:27 PM

Apr 2015

Obligatory text here.
Jan 6, 2016 2:33 PM

May 2015
Tylaen said:

Obligatory text here.

+1.
I don't mind an OP in a different language if it's still good. Of course this is why no official dubs do this, but when good artists do English covers of songs like this one here, I like them better then the original song.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jan 6, 2016 2:35 PM

Aug 2015
Doesn't matter to me in what language they are.
Jan 6, 2016 2:41 PM

Mar 2015
i loved it as my childhood. more familiar with my memories, lOl.

hay, baling baling bambu. LMAO

Jawabnya ada di ujung langit. LMAO

dragon screamer (why i do 3x), ahahahahahaha.
KumaJan 6, 2016 2:45 PM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 6, 2016 2:45 PM

Feb 2013

抬头望望天,月亮在笑。
低头看看地,浪花在跳。
这个世界,我们多么渺小。
只要努力,就会心比天高。
Jan 6, 2016 2:46 PM

Aug 2013
In general no but I do like the english version of the Dragon Ball Kai opening Dragon Soul. Spanish is not my native language but I prefer the DBZ openings and endings dubbed in Spanish than in Japanese.
Jan 6, 2016 2:48 PM

Jul 2015
Absolutely no. it sounds... strange to me.
I'm like NOPE NOPE NOPE BRING THE JAPANESE SQUEALING BACK
nimushyJan 6, 2016 2:52 PM
-
-

「 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘵𝘩 𝘪𝘴, 𝘐 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘥. 𝘉𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘵𝘰 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘵𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘨𝘳𝘦𝘺. 」
◐ -

-
Jan 6, 2016 3:32 PM

Mar 2014
No

I am neither American nor 100 % from a "dubbing country" so I do not feel the need to hear one of my native tongues wherever I go
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 6, 2016 3:40 PM

Jul 2014
The only dubbed anime i've watched in my language is Crayon Shin chan..... and well,.... No OP.....

btw, i dont limit myself, if the dubbed is better then i'm fine with it.
Jan 6, 2016 4:05 PM

Sep 2015
Depends on the song, the latin version of the Digimon Adventure 001 opening is even better than the japanese one.
(This statement may be bias cause digimon was my childhood)
Anyway, here's the song if anyone is interested:
-Senpai-Jan 6, 2016 4:11 PM
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Jan 6, 2016 4:10 PM

Nov 2015
-CallMeSenpai- said:
Depends on the song, the latin version of the Digimon Adventure 001 opening is even better than the japanese one.

I loved the Brazil' version when I was a kid. But after i grew up, I saw that was actually bad. Still like it though (nostalgia and all) but I can't compare for real with Butterfly.
Jan 6, 2016 4:12 PM

Sep 2015
phmmoura said:
-CallMeSenpai- said:

I loved the Brazil' version when I was a kid. But after i grew up, I saw that was actually bad. Still like it though (nostalgia and all) but I can't compare for real with Butterfly.
Yeah, well, the lyrics are kinda silly but what do you expect from a kids show.
NasalShark said:

Jan 6, 2016 4:43 PM

Sep 2015
I am not native English speaker nor can speak/understand Japanese.

I prefer OP/ED that i have got used and familiar with, for example i listened to Indonesian version of Doraemon, Dragon Ball and Captain Tsubasa (btw Indonesian version of Tsubasa OP is awesome) at my childhood, later on Dragon Ball got aired again last year and they used original OP, i surprisingly found it weird. Same goes with same HunterxHunter OP, i prefer my native language version.

As for Asian Kungfu Generation, i knew them way before i learn about FMA. Thus i prefer the original version rather than the English version there.
UpperCatJan 6, 2016 5:28 PM

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Jan 6, 2016 4:45 PM

Nov 2015
-CallMeSenpai- said:
phmmoura said:

Yeah, well, the lyrics are kinda silly but what do you expect from a kids show.

Pokemon was the same, and the the lyrics are awesome dub (Portuguese and English)
Jan 6, 2016 4:59 PM

Jan 2008
4kids. Oh the childhood memories of their now cringy OP English songs. Still like the Shaman King OP, don't hate.
Jan 6, 2016 5:04 PM

Jan 2013
Yeah I hate English dubs of any song, 9 times out of 10 sounds absolutely terrible. I specifically go out of my way to support studios that don't dub the music
Jan 6, 2016 5:09 PM

Jun 2015
Has no one mentioned Pokemon's dub song? That was like the most popular one lol
Jan 6, 2016 5:10 PM

Nov 2014
Yeah, I liked some studio dubbed russian openings.

Jan 6, 2016 5:12 PM
Dec 2015
Personally I do not think that any dubs are good. Usually the lyrics or scripts don't sound right.
Friend of Davey, the rubber duck pirate!
Jan 6, 2016 5:16 PM

Jun 2012
The only thing this thread did is make me realize how I need to catch up with the Digimon franchise.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jan 6, 2016 5:37 PM

Oct 2014
-CallMeSenpai- said:
Anyway, here's the song if anyone is interested:

Most opening in spanish are good.

I like not only Digimons but Pokemons, Dragon Balls, Slayers, Captain Tsubasa, Shaman King, Candy Candy, Ranma 1/2

Jan 6, 2016 5:45 PM
Dec 2015
No, not even if it is good. Pokémon openings were great back in the day, but I don't like them much these days... Not to mention that Japanese Pokémon has ending themes that are sometimes done by famous artists, while American Pokémon doesn't.
Jan 6, 2016 5:45 PM
Jul 2018
Depends - German sounds really weird in most dubs. I still cringe every time I hear Asuka's weird interpretation of "Zurück" the first time we see her with Shinji in her Evangelion Suit.
However childhood-shows like Digimon and Moster Ranger that actually aired back then are dubbed absolutely gorgeously.

Jeez. After watching these I realize that I still know them from the top of my head. After.. what? Like 16 years? Really says something about their quality.

Modern dubbed anime (OP/ED doesn't matter) I avoid like the plague though. Mostly because of the lack of acceptable voice actors.
removed-userJan 6, 2016 5:52 PM
Jan 6, 2016 5:53 PM

Oct 2014

Bulmas spanish seiyuu sang it.

Jan 6, 2016 5:58 PM
Jul 2018

I think both sound really good, in different ways. The Japanese version is a bit more rocky ^-^
Jan 6, 2016 6:53 PM

Oct 2015
I prefer whichever one sounds the best though it's mostly only kids anime these days that gets the songs get dubbed over like Yo-Kai Watch and Pokemon for example.

I usually prefer the Japanese version though I do prefer the English version of the original Pokemon theme, that's the only English theme I prefer, I haven't heard a ton anyway.
MattKitsune96Jan 6, 2016 7:03 PM
Jan 6, 2016 7:09 PM

Dec 2015
LordPerucho said:

She didn't.

IIRC is the same singer that sang Sailor Moon's opening and ending in Latin Spanish.
Jan 6, 2016 7:20 PM

Oct 2015
depends , a lot of dubbed openings gave me goosepumps and some until now but some were horrible and/or Bland .
I might add thatv some openings/Endings lose their meaning if its not translated in a proper way
Jan 6, 2016 7:58 PM

Apr 2015
For me, it just depends on how well it's done. I've heard dubs that are incredible and just as good as the original, to the point that it even sounds like the same person singing, only in a different language. When it's like that, I absolutely love it. However, even with a 'perfect' dub, I still like to listen to the original, simply because I tend to prefer the originals and give due respect to the culture that the song came from. I also happen to be of the opinion that most of the time, the original language will sound better than then dub.

In some way, you might say that a dub version of a sub is not much different from when one singer covers the song of another. Sometimes the cover is better than the original. Sometimes (usually) it's not. If you like both, then there's no problem with that. It's all personal preference, but even so, it's nice to listen to the original every so often just as a matter of respect if nothing else.

Also, sometimes English slaughters the original message and feel of the song. when that happens, I absolutely hate the dub version and will refuse to listen to it.
"You babble on about how you want to know, but you're never prepared to handle it. To know means to be prepared to know. Once you find out the truth, there's no going back. You can't ever go back to being the way you were, blissful and unconcerned.'' -Nezumi; No. 6 (Light Novels; Volume 2, Chapter 5)
Jan 6, 2016 8:58 PM

Dec 2015
nope,not at all, I 've seen it couple times and it was a nightmare
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Jan 6, 2016 9:17 PM

Nov 2009
JustArsan said:
Depends - German sounds really weird in most dubs. I still cringe every time I hear Asuka's weird interpretation of "Zurück" the first time we see her with Shinji in her Evangelion Suit.
However childhood-shows like Digimon and Moster Ranger that actually aired back then are dubbed absolutely gorgeously.

Jeez. After watching these I realize that I still know them from the top of my head. After.. what? Like 16 years? Really says something about their quality.

Modern dubbed anime (OP/ED doesn't matter) I avoid like the plague though. Mostly because of the lack of acceptable voice actors.
Don't forget about this masterpiece that you guys gave us:
Jan 6, 2016 9:22 PM

Jan 2015
UpperCat said:
I am not native English speaker nor can speak/understand Japanese.

I prefer OP/ED that i have got used and familiar with, for example i listened to Indonesian version of Doraemon, Dragon Ball and Captain Tsubasa (btw Indonesian version of Tsubasa OP is awesome) at my childhood, later on Dragon Ball got aired again last year and they used original OP, i surprisingly found it weird. Same goes with same HunterxHunter OP, i prefer my native language version.

As for Asian Kungfu Generation, i knew them way before i learn about FMA. Thus i prefer the original version rather than the English version there.

agree with that,
sometimes yes sometimes no, many occasion it was silly especially as i grown up....
dragon ball OP in indonesian version was one of memorable for me....impact

there're many of it
karambiaJan 6, 2016 9:41 PM

la critique de l'intention pure
Jan 6, 2016 9:24 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Depends.
Like with Space Dandy when i tried the dub i was pissed that the OP was ... pretty much nothing.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 6, 2016 9:33 PM

Aug 2015
OP & ED : Subbed - Maybe,Yes . Dubbed - Hell no. The only exception would be Dragon Ball kai. Their English OP&ED is better than the original one !
Jan 6, 2016 9:33 PM

Aug 2015
OP & ED : Subbed - Maybe,Yes . Dubbed - Hell no. The only exception would be Dragon Ball kai. Their English OP&ED is better than the original one !
Jan 6, 2016 9:35 PM

Apr 2015
Do you like it the feeling of swallowing some vomit when you finished vomiting? That's how I feel about it.
Jan 6, 2016 9:45 PM

Jun 2007
I don't mind them too much. If there's a particularly bad song in an otherwise listenable dub, I can generally switch the audio to Japanese for the OP/ED, and then back to English for the remainder of the episode. Though some discs with locked audio and subtitle options (i.e they have to be chosen on the menu, and can't be changed with remote control buttons) may make that difficult.
Jan 6, 2016 9:46 PM

Sep 2015
LordPerucho said:

Well, that was cringy, never heard it before (i'm not a DB fan) but the lyrics are just weird. La letra es tan rara, mas siendo de un programa de accion :S
NasalShark said:

Jan 6, 2016 10:00 PM

Jul 2009
Aside from nostalgic ones from when I was a kid..then no, not really. It's hard to hate stuff that made my childhood though: Case Closed, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors, Dragon Ball/Z/GT, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon... I could never listen to and enjoy the Japanese openings for those shows as much as I enjoy the English ones.
Jan 6, 2016 10:03 PM

Mar 2015
Neh........ it sounds better in the original language.
Gin-chan said:
Anime - it's not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

83 by Atashi_Agatha »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

200 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

65 by Atashi_Agatha »»
8 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 5 hours ago

9 by Spunkert »»
10 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

20 by shin0by »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.