Forum Settings
Forums

What music artists do you think who are popular but don't really deserve to be?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 7, 2016 1:03 PM

Mar 2012
Altairius said:
truisms said:
what modern pop doesn't have hooks? hell, what modern rap doesn't have hooks...?
in any case if you don't see what's good about his music that's fine. for me it's primarily his lyrics and singing - on a technical level his delivery is way more interesting than most music of his time on songs like subterranean homesick blues. his lyrics are thematically interesting and elegant and evocative. but i also like his arrangements and think a lot of music is pretty tuneful... just like a woman for example

Of course the songs will have what are supposed to be hooks, but they aren't catchy or memorable. There are exceptions, but even then a decent hook doesn't make a good song. Modern rap? No, it plainly is not memorable, for the most part. The most hooky of it is stuff like Kanye West's MBDTF, because it's basically pop.

well, if you think modern rap is plainly not memorable we can't really speak. i think young thug's work this year has been full of hooks, more than kanye ever was, and pretty memorable also. his feature on good times as an example. chance the rapper on acid rap. rich gang are super hooky. but if you disagree that's cool.
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Jan 7, 2016 5:39 PM

Apr 2014
For my money, the hookiest straight hip hop is classic G-funk and some of the Southern stuff. Dre, Snoop, Geto Boys and UGK can be pretty addictive when I'm in the mood. Deltron 3030 was great too.
Jan 7, 2016 5:53 PM

Jan 2015
Altairius said:
Deltron 3030 was great too.
Deltron 3030 is probably my favourite hip hop group. Del the Funky Homosapien is pretty underrated for what he does, tbh.
Jan 7, 2016 5:54 PM
Jul 2018
Altairius said:
For my money, the hookiest straight hip hop is classic G-funk and some of the Southern stuff. Dre, Snoop, Geto Boys and UGK can be pretty addictive when I'm in the mood. Deltron 3030 was great too.

And what do you think of people like Guru (especially for his "Jazzmatazz" stuff), A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots or De La Soul ?
Jan 7, 2016 6:14 PM

Apr 2014
I was into the jazzy stuff for a while (mainly Tribe), but it's not very catchy in general. East Coast does have its catchy music though. "C.R.E.A.M.", a few tracks off Illmatic, etc.
Jan 7, 2016 6:15 PM

Mar 2012
Altairius said:
snoop and ugk are dope. my tastes tend towards the modern though.
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Jan 8, 2016 2:36 PM

Dec 2015
I'd have to say Chris Brown. He's got a lot of talent but he isn't doing anything with it anymore.

OT I'm loving Chance the Rapper. It's like I'm listening to a cartoon character rapping about real shit sometimes. Wish he had more attention
Jan 8, 2016 2:42 PM

May 2015
NudeBear said:
Eminem said:
The wankers who don't write their own songs.

Haha what? The whole point of musical entertainment (at least in popular music) is performance. Why should a great performer be punished for not being able to compose?

Because the performer does fuck all and takes all the credit?
Jan 10, 2016 2:51 AM

Aug 2011
M_Parabola said:

+1

Miley Cyrus, JB and every other teen popper there is. Also, every boyband ever: repetitive, unoriginal and bland.
死ねカス国に帰れ
Jan 10, 2016 10:20 PM

May 2015
Eminem said:
NudeBear said:

Haha what? The whole point of musical entertainment (at least in popular music) is performance. Why should a great performer be punished for not being able to compose?

Because the performer does fuck all and takes all the credit?

No. The performer is the name of the product only.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 11, 2016 6:36 AM

Apr 2015
Every people who does POP...
Rihanna and all the stuff do not deserve at all what they got.
Jan 11, 2016 6:38 AM

Apr 2013
Lady Gaga, saw a video of one of her life performances... she sounds like crap.
Jan 14, 2016 3:31 PM

Feb 2014
Altairius said:
Whenever someone covers a Dylan song, they improve it.

Even if you believe this is true then surely you've got to acknowledge his song-writing abilities?
Where the fuck did Monday go?
Jan 15, 2016 2:44 AM

Mar 2014
Nirvana ... can't stand their music nor the attitude they promoted.
Jan 15, 2016 8:31 AM

Jun 2013
ACDC. I generally find that their songs sound the same and aren't particularly creative. There were a lot of other bands back then doing the same sort of thing ACDC was doing, just much, much better. They contributed a few decent songs, but not enough to get the credit they do.
Jan 15, 2016 8:47 AM

Jun 2015
So many of them...

Justin Bieber
1 Direction
Adele
Lana del Rey
Kanye West
Nicki Minaj
and many more

traed said:
Calling things you don't like overrated is overrated.

Overrated =/= something I don't like.
Overrated = something that's more popular than it objectively deserves

I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
Jan 15, 2016 8:56 AM

Jun 2015
Jay-Z (used to be a legitimate artist before his songs became all about money)
Rozay (nothing he says is original. Even his stage name was stolen from someone else)
Miley (the sole reason twerking has become so popular. A disgrace to the music industry period)
Bieber (I've always hated the man because of his terrible singing, his massive following, and so much more. His transition to "bad boy" has made him more popular but he'll never be truly respected. Ever.)
Beyoncé (Like Jay-Z, to look at the music she used to put out and to compare what she has now is downright depressing)
Lorde (her voice just doesn't stand out period. A true copy-and-paste singer if there ever was one)

...and let's save the best for last...

Drake (his following is legendary, every song he makes is instantly on the airwaves, but is this man good? At all? Forget the (absolutely true) stuff you hear about this man not having "street-cred". Forget the Grammys and the record deals and the concerts and the stacks and stacks and stacks of money. Think about this. Is there one song of his that actually has some substance, where he actually sounds like he cares about what he's saying? Is there one song of his where he's not singing or doing some ridiculous dance but rapping for once? Here are the facts: his one noteworthy song was "Forever" and everybody knows that song was only immortal because Eminem destroyed the mic at the very end. His career (and his life) has been all about success for the most part so what would he know about "startin' from the bottom,"? Drake, what do you know about failure? Everybody loves you, and defends your sob story of a career, and they'll probably ignore this long-winded paragraph here.)
Jan 15, 2016 8:57 AM
Jul 2015
People are different -> tastes are different -> if someone is liked by many people, it means he deserves to be popular regardless of my opinion.

For example I don't like Bieber and most of the pop singers out there there, but the masses of stupid teenagers are hooked with them, so what can I do about it? It isn't them who are weird for liking them, I am the weirdo because normality is dicated by the majority. That means that if most of the people think that some idiot deserves to be popular, then so be it.
Jan 15, 2016 8:58 AM
Mar 2011
most monden hip hop
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 15, 2016 9:23 AM

May 2015
daky-kun said:
So many of them...

Justin Bieber
1 Direction
Adele
Lana del Rey
Kanye West
Nicki Minaj
and many more

traed said:

No, overrated only means that you disagree with the majority.
Jan 15, 2016 9:26 AM

Jan 2016
IMO anything you get on the radio. Green Day needs more attention!

Green Day! *clap clap clap* Green Day! *clap clap clap* Green Day! *clap clap clap*
Jan 15, 2016 9:42 AM
Jul 2015
Kurohakase said:

Green Day! *clap clap clap* Green Day! *clap clap clap* Green Day! *clap clap clap*

Haha. Tbh I never heard a band I liked on the radio.
Jan 15, 2016 9:46 AM

Feb 2014
daky-kun said:
So many of them...

Justin Bieber
1 Direction
Adele
Lana del Rey
Kanye West
Nicki Minaj
and many more

traed said:

Objectively deserves? And how can one define what objectively doesn't deserve to be as popular as it is?

Let's be honest here - Overratted is one of the most over-used words on the Internet - not being a fan of an artist / band just gives people an excuse to use this word hence why all artists get classed as overrated and then it just becomes a circle jerk for people that don't particularly like a certain band or artist.
Jan 15, 2016 10:17 AM

Nov 2011
Kurohakase said:

Green day is pretty dreadful :/
Jan 16, 2016 12:48 AM

Jan 2016
Waifu_Strangler said:
Kurohakase said:

Green day is pretty dreadful :/

Have you listened to their earlier stuff? The new stuff is good too but I will admit Green Day haven't been the same since American Idiot. Dookie, Insomniac, and 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours are my favourite.
Jan 17, 2016 2:42 AM

Jan 2016
everyone except ed sheeran.
“Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end.”
― Ed Sheeran
Jan 17, 2016 4:58 AM

Oct 2013
This thread is going to be one of those "my opinion is better than your opinion" threads so I will stay away from it.
May 24, 2016 9:45 PM

Apr 2014
DarkStarr96 said:
Altairius said:
Whenever someone covers a Dylan song, they improve it.

Even if you believe this is true then surely you've got to acknowledge his song-writing abilities?

Not really. His chord progressions are uniformly bland, and the melodies are just standard folk, made worse by his terrible voice.
May 25, 2016 4:53 AM

Feb 2014
Altairius said:
DarkStarr96 said:

Not really. His chord progressions are uniformly bland, and the melodies are just standard folk, made worse by his terrible voice.

I'm referring to his lyrics.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7554 by 0arche »»
4 hours ago

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Yesterday

5 by Zayvex »»
7 hours ago

» Favorite childhood TV shows?

56709 - Apr 17

17 by GoddessLove »»
8 hours ago

» AI generated OP/ED themes from imaginary anime that I came up with. (Over 20 songs and counting!)

FFandMMfan - Yesterday

2 by FFandMMfan »»
11 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3379 by SilentAssassin88 »»
Today, 3:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.