Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2009 10:46 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
You people are crazy!

Wow what an episode... Luffy continues his struggle against Lucci, Zoro Vs. the Axeman and the other marines, Franky gunning down more marines, Nami, Usopp and Robin go at it as well... just wow.
Jan 25, 2010 1:32 AM

Oct 2008
I really enjoyed the fighting scenes in this episode. :3
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jan 26, 2010 3:41 AM

May 2008
LUFFY!!!!!
Oh! Usopp ja neka sashiburi!

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 30, 2010 3:48 PM

Jul 2009
Luffyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Intense as hell!

5/5
Jul 22, 2010 4:01 AM
Jul 2010
I wonder sbout Usopp's plans...
Aug 11, 2010 4:10 PM

Jun 2010
Whoa Usopp is actually Sogeking, didnt see that coming.
Dec 21, 2010 4:21 AM

Jul 2007
SkyFade said:

Are you serous?? lol

Man this just keeps getting more and more intense.

I have to say, i didn't really consider all the action against the CP9 members to be all that epic like everyone else says.

But the moment the marines came and initiated the buster call on ennies lobby, that is when it truly got epic. This whole war surrounding the island is just amazing. I just realized one damn thing to. Sure luffy before could easily destroy ships so i didn't think the buster call was that much of a threat. But HOLY SHIT, look at the size of those damn ships. There like 20 times the size of the Going merry. With luffy's gear third, he was barely able to destroy one of them.

Also im starting to think that the "vice admirals" are actually more of a threat that i originally thought. I don't believe luffy has even went toe to toe against a vice admiral yet, has he? the only person he fought was an admiral but he easily lost in seconds.

I hope these vice admiral's get to fight some to, that would be cool. In any case yeah, that is definitely a huge threat and even with the combined powers of all the straw hats, i don't believe they would be able to handle 10 warships of that size and magnitude all by them selfs.

This is the true power of the "buster call" Truly a horrible nightmare i tell you.

Also luci's and luffy's fight is just becoming so intense now. Damn i swear the fighting in this anime is up to like dbz action now. I guess thats because both of them can move at like lightening speed. It feel's similar.

Dec 21, 2010 4:26 AM

Jul 2007
This is the same feeling i got after watching the end of arabasta. now i have to sleep like this? With gun fiire, explosions just ringing in my ears.

Man i can't wait to see how this all ends.

Mar 6, 2011 5:29 PM

May 2010
I was shocked that those marines were captain/commander level.. haha the crew just mowed them down!
still can't get enough of usopp fighting style! LOL :-)))))))))))))))))
May 4, 2011 3:45 PM

Jul 2010
Omg noooooooooooooo Luffy stand up!!!! OTL
Jul 23, 2011 4:27 AM

Aug 2010
POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!!!!!1111
Sep 8, 2011 8:51 PM

Apr 2010
So i was watching this episode and at one point franky uses his left hand to shoot and he says "Weapons *derecha*" which in spanish means Right not Left haha it my be my mistake tho
Jan 30, 2012 5:10 PM

Jan 2012
i loved seeing the crew fighting against the marines. why did sanji disappear again? but it was cool seeing franky and zoro mowing down the commanders, it really shows how their power has progressed in these 300 episodes.

nami and robin were defending against normal marines (edit: or maybe they were captains too?) and nami was impressive once again. looking at them fighting side by side, i'm beginning to wonder if i overestimated robin's strength. her bounty didn't mean she was stronger than zoro - it represented the threat of her knowledge. nami's attack has awesome area of damage and she seemed more effective than robin, which is something i never thought would happen.

because i love ranking things, my opinion on combat goes more like this now:

luffy + zoro
sanji + franky
robin + chopper
nami + usopp
NinahJan 30, 2012 5:14 PM
Jan 31, 2012 3:54 PM

Oct 2010
SkyFade said:
Apr 14, 2012 5:56 AM

Mar 2012
SkyFade said:
I CANT BELIEVE IT WHAT A BRILLIANT DISGUISE
Apr 14, 2012 5:57 AM

Mar 2012
And i overestimated robins strength too, i thought she could take down 6 marine battleships with her powers
but i was mistaken shes still cool tho
Apr 23, 2012 8:36 PM
Apr 2010
I'm getting sick of luffy and rob going around in circles...it's making me dizzy,someone just win already..
Apr 26, 2012 10:53 AM

Aug 2010
Homolust said:
POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!!!!!1111

Friendship is Magic!! lol

Intense...extremely intense..my heart is beating like crazy. Next episode!
Jul 1, 2012 3:54 PM

Apr 2012
OiAaron said:
And i overestimated robins strength too, i thought she could take down 6 marine battleships with her powers
but i was mistaken shes still cool tho

Actually they brought that up towards the end of the mini-arc about Robin's past. I believe that the whole story behind her sinking the battleships was something that the CP9 director, Spandam's father - whatever his name was, made up to add to the idea that she was a "demon" and a threat to the world.

I definitely agree with you about her still being cool though.
Aug 13, 2012 7:35 PM

Sep 2009
SkyFade said:
Are you luffy lol!
Sep 10, 2012 2:47 PM

Jul 2012
SkyFade said:

LOOOL!
Oct 21, 2012 9:37 AM

Mar 2010
Lucci is lasting longer than I expected, seems the side affects of the third gear have left.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 9, 2012 2:14 PM

Oct 2010
On Robin, I think it was clear that it was a strategy to make her look like a threat and justify the reward. She is completely unable to sink a ship alone, her power is effective against people, not against structures.

link9us said:
I have to say, i didn't really consider all the action against the CP9 members to be all that epic like everyone else says.

I found those fights more funny and dynamic than epic. And maybe that's why I ended up loving those scenes. Now Luffy vs Lucci seems to be the contrary, a really intense fight, but lacking the dynamism and comedy of the other ones (what a great character Kaku was). They are both great in their way.

This episode was awesome too (Nami got absurdly overpowered), but I do really want Luffy's fight to end.
Jul 30, 2013 2:30 PM

Apr 2012
so much good fighting in this episode! zoro seems so much more... aggressive.
SANJI Y U GOTTA DISAPPEAR ALL THE TIME
and luffy.. noo... D: usopp is taking off the mask for this one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2014 1:15 PM

Dec 2012
Well I am guessing Sanji will be again at a strategic position that we are gonna find out after few episodes...? Come to think about it Zoro is the cold hearted sense and Sanji the think-in-advance mind. Both very useful for a crew.
Also Usopp is gonna tell Luffy his identity to boost him up?
As for Robin power is very handy and dangerous for a fight. I think she is just overwhelmed and exhausted...
Jul 25, 2014 12:10 PM

Oct 2013
Next up.

Jun 8, 2015 10:26 AM

Jun 2015
LUFFY!!!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2016 7:59 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Dramatic end scene .____.

Jul 21, 2016 10:15 AM

Mar 2015
Seriously? There are marines who still say Luffy "isn't a rookie after all!!" when he's got a 100m bounty on his head and saved a kingdom? The fuck man

Woohoo looks like things are bleak for Luffy, this one-track minded child needs to taste defeat more
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 4, 2018 3:03 AM

Jun 2016
Franky calling for Luffy in the recap made me tear up again. It's such a strong and heartbreaking moment.

I really feel like Water 7 may be the best One Piece has been but I can get into that more when the arc is actually finished. For now, I want to bring up the one major problem I have with it that may be outshined and turned to a nitpick on further retrospection due to how great everything else is. At the very least I can perhaps say Water 7 is better but Arlong is more consistent. Anyways, my problem is as follows: the DBZ-esque might is right, unexplained and not built up to super powers, power levels, and uninspired villain fighting wise(Lucci is pretty good apart from that). I don't mean gear 2 or 3, or devil's foot, or Zoro's Asura one shot. Now, those would be better if they were built up to more before hand but I still love them. Specifically, Luffy's gears are beautiful in concept, they're all I've wanted from Luffy, to master his power to a level the major villains do. The problems for me lay in the rule of cool nature of the fighting, specifically with Lucci but it also had undertones in the other fights. The problem is with these Dragon Ball Z-esque teleporting fights with people who don't have any great reason to be that overpowered apart from the added in "six powers", the power levels we were given, and the fact that to combat this the characters have to pull out wins out of their butts. They're awesome but often unsatisfying. This, to me, says it was an attempt to one up Skypiea with the cast fighting a pseudo-god. I felt this from the CP9's fighting introduction. Luckily this problem has only been massive with Lucci. I just think without pushing the limits to one up past arcs we could have had powers that stayed extensions of what we knew or things that were built up to in a satisfying way, and villains, specifically a major villain who could have trained to be fast, strong, good at dealing with pain, but to a lesser degree than that of a literal demigod and the extra part of their strength could be great use of a devil fruit power on top of that. I love this arc to death but I honestly think that this is the one major criticism I have with it and it all starts with one upping characters strength too far and creating a subset of humans that are boring in how they break the rules of strength and the solutions the main cast has to do to reach them.

Seriously, the Lucci fight would be so much more epic if Lucci was avoiding the attacks through a mix of his innate skills and his zoan fruit giving him increased speed and power, more so like 50/50. That definition alone would solve the bad taste the fight gives me now, but we've already seen Lucci do everything he's doing now in human form.

Chopper had a super interesting line this episode. It felt meta-narrative almost.

"You know, I sometimes feel that Luffy always seems to know whom he has to fight from the start."

Something I freaking adore about this is how it made me realize that it's more than shounen formula that puts Luffy against the major villain every time. He is the one himself who decides from the get go that he will fight the head of the villains. He instinctually knows who it is. He declares "I WILL PUNCH CROCODILE IN THE FACE" before he even meets him. Or likewise with Lucci this time. What kind of a captain wouldn't take the biggest battle for himself to protect his nakama? Sure, it would be nice to get a break from this formula, have Luffy lose and have someone like Zoro take over, but Chopper's observation made the formula sit well with me. I wouldn't have it any other way really.

"[Luffy] won't die will he?" - Usopp
"Are you an idiot?" - Zoro
I loved this interaction. It was adorable. Blunt. And powerful. To even think that Luffy won't make it, to not even put your full faith and trust in him after 300 freaking episodes must mean you are an idiot Usopp-kun. I let out a jolly laugh at how brilliant the response was and with how it came out immediately like Zoro didn't even have to think about it.

The scene where everyone called down to Luffy to tell him that there's nothing to worry about anymore warmed my heart. Now, all that's left is wiping the floor with Lucci so give it your all. In another way they were confirming to him that his trust in them making it out was rightful. Sadly, Lucci's line about that smile leaving his face soon enough was truthful as well...

The fighting off the navy scenes were pretty fun. It was a reminder that if you don't have a name or devil fruit power you are not going to be even a challenge to the Straw Hats. Even Nami can beat up hordes of navy men now. The Straw Hats have all grown in strength so much since the start of this anime, they're looking like a legendary crew like the likes of Shanks crew at this point... I can certainly see them going down in history especially after being the first group to tear through Enies Lobby ever.

Sanji disappears just in time to be away for an episode or two and pull off his background clutch magic to save the day again... I get it Oda!! I love that Sanji is the one who quietly holds everything together but let's not have him do so as bluntly as he does all the time. It takes away from the magic!

It was pretty funny to contrast Franky grappling a navy soldier in the air with his extended hand and whipping him into the ground with Usopp's "look over there! gun powder star!". I also laughed so hard at Usopps:

Overall it was great to see Zoro take charge as second in command and order everyone to stand their ground no matter what until Luffy makes it to the ship. He was showing some decisive and great leadership in lieu of Luffy.

Finally, the Luffy and Lucci fight and the end of the episode. It's clear Luffy's blood doping is slowing down. Lucci can dodge him once again and he isn't getting harmed anymore despite the slugfest earlier. You could just tell there was no way for Luffy to win in the state he was and is in...
I'm worried for what the inside of his body even looks like right now!

The impact shot of Lucci's secret technique was

And when Luffy was finally knocked to the ground for the second or third time and he didn't get up the tension was so deep it was reminiscent of a boxing match. Everyone looked to Luffy, waiting through the countdown to 10, seeing if he could stand once more...

And Sogeking sees this in what had to be my favorite ending to a One Piece episode. It was so freaking sad and meaningful and I couldn't take it. Zoro saves him and tells him not to zone out, about to call him Sogeking, until he notices the mask is off and stops. In that moment Zoro realized what that meant. He realized the severity of the situation. Sogeking who once put on the disguise so that he could honorably fight at Luffy's side and belong with the Straw Hats because he felt Usopp was too pathetic has been removed. He's no longer the mysterious sniper warrior who is fighting for fellow people out of pride and courage but Usopp, Luffy's nakama, who is seeing one of his best friends and captain who he cares so much about in a puddle of his own blood nearly knocked out cold. And, I think Zoro could tell that this is what was going on. Usopp had to revert back to himself out of respect. To show his concern not as a mysterious warrior but one of Luffy's best friends. That moment where Usopp held his mask out of burning concern, where he finally took off his mask, that got to me!

That scene was so well done. Usopp's back and this is what it took.

As for the Luffy-Lucci fight, I'm honestly not sure how he can make a comeback. I suppose Usopp could inspire him to gear 2 even further but with how much it's probably already destroying his body I don't think Luffy will get out of this anywhere near healthy no matter what occurs.

You know an episode was good when you end up writing a small essay on it. This climax is great.
Jun 12, 2020 4:39 AM

May 2016
Everyone's doing really well against the Marines who fortunately can't blow all of them up with their massive cannons thanks to Robin being in the same area as they are.

Luffy might be down for now but he'll let Lucci win no matter what!

Jan 13, 2021 11:11 AM

Jun 2017
Where the heck did Sanji wander off to when it's about time to face the navy army! I would like to expect that he will save Luffy at the last moment, but he couldn't; the bridge was destroyed.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Feb 9, 2021 1:59 AM

Jan 2019
Cool fighting but the progress of the fight didn’t really go anywhere except luffy falling over in the literal last minute and the gang fighting some captains
May 21, 2021 5:00 AM

Jun 2019
There's no way Sogeking is Usopp. What a plot twist. XD
Aug 8, 2022 8:12 AM

Dec 2018
this fight sucks and has dragged on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long
god damn this series would be a masterpiece if it was condensed to 10 percent or less
Aug 10, 2022 1:02 PM

Apr 2018
Oh, man. I wonder how Luffy will defeat Lucci. Sogeking/Usopp screaming 'Luffy' at the end got to me.
Sanji has disappeared once again; I wonder what he is up to now.
Sep 13, 2022 6:43 PM
Feb 2022
Los sombreros de paja luchando juntos contra el gobierno mundial. Y lo mas importante. ¿Cómo que Usopp es Sogeking?
Jan 10, 2023 8:51 AM
Jan 2021
primeira vez q vejo a chimney com medo
Feb 10, 2023 6:00 AM
Dec 2022
اهخخخ سقوط لوفي مسبب ربشه وقلق
May 16, 2023 12:12 AM
Oct 2019
Luffy Second Gear one last time!!
Fight sequences was Amazing.

Lucci was too powerful? 😱

No way, Sogeking is actually Usopp?
Plot Twist of the decade 😂
Jul 13, 2023 12:36 PM

Oct 2019
wait wait wait SOGEKING IS USOPP???

Sanji's gone again. How many times does that make it now? :DDD
Jul 23, 2023 3:17 AM

Mar 2017
Great action packed episode. A big seed of doubt thrown in at the end there with Luffy vs Lucci. Lucci really is strong asf. 

Sanji-kun, where you at?????? I wonder what kind of cunning plan he has this time.. 

Apr 11, 11:45 PM

Dec 2022
classic Dynasty Warriors video game style platform battle against dozens of goons complete with miniboss
Apr 12, 8:49 AM

Jun 2017
glad the pigeon guy wan't nerfed to oblivion.Sanji to the rescue probably or Luffy taps into a new power

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1101 Discussion ( 1 2 )

phantom346 - Apr 14

53 by AlexoYuki »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 242 Discussion

Kaito__Kid - Dec 2, 2009

39 by IvanTheWalker »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 397 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HydraA - Apr 19, 2009

91 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:36 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 396 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Somebody - Apr 12, 2009

195 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:15 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 395 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Somebody - Apr 5, 2009

76 by gannoncannon55 »»
Yesterday, 11:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.