Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2009 8:47 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hell Yeah welcome back Robin Chan! It was wonderful seeing her smile and doing not so cruel things to the marines, Franky causes some havoc as well and the fight between Luffy and Lucci is at its peak! (although I confess I was expecting a little more now that Luffy was in second gear)
Jan 24, 2010 5:06 AM

May 2008
are we gonna see the third gear again? and chibi Luffy?! xD

Now that the Buster Call started, Luffy better end his match quick before its too late

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jan 24, 2010 10:59 PM

Oct 2008
Luffy's new moves are pretty awesome.

But crap, now the buster call is occuring on enis lobby.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 30, 2010 2:01 PM

Jul 2009
It's race against time! Will they make it? Of course they will! But how? I'm so excited this is killing me xDD

5/5
Aug 4, 2010 5:45 AM

Jun 2008
wow, that was some of the best filler dialogue yet, along with some of the worse animation, haha. but at least the filler attempted to deepen the drama and not simply run out the clock, good jorb Toei!
Dec 20, 2010 3:27 AM

Jul 2007
ddd

Feb 17, 2011 5:21 AM

May 2010
I didn't expect the marines to be to ruthless to their brethren.. there going to just blow up enies lobby without any questions or evacuate their allies.. shhzzzz. Anyway we finally know the secrets of gear second :-D but luffy's fight is starting to drag.. finish him off i would say!
Apr 18, 2011 2:41 PM

Jun 2009
reinwald said:
I didn't expect the marines to be to ruthless to their brethren.. there going to just blow up enies lobby without any questions or evacuate their allies.. shhzzzz. Anyway we finally know the secrets of gear second :-D but luffy's fight is starting to drag.. finish him off i would say!

You're kidding right? They nearly blew the hell out of Spandam's father on Ohara, so I expected this.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 8, 2011 9:52 AM

May 2010
I agree with reinwald, it is pretty ridiculous. I guess the really ridiculous part is that Spandam is in power, but it seems kind of weird that there's no taking back pressing the button. Like, seriously, the marines never even considered the possibility that someone could press the button by mistake? You could literally press a button like that simply by dropping it. Hell, an enemy could sneak onto your base and press the button, destroying the whole base no questions asked. If I were an enemy of the government, I would steal one of these and just press it when I got close to any of their bases. Someone didn't think this one through...
“Money can't buy dere”
Jul 22, 2011 11:37 PM

Aug 2010
Bad animation in luffy's fight scene in this episode. I expect more next episode
Sep 20, 2011 4:32 PM

Mar 2008
the whole thing with luffy shortening his life (when using gear second+) worries me a little, i hope when one piece ends (if that even happens..xD) he wont die ! ; )
Jan 30, 2012 3:25 PM

Jan 2012
yes an explanation for second gear! but the thing about shortening life span just made me sad. oh luffy.

i always felt like robin was reacting more to her trauma from the buster call and that it was something the crew could deal with (meaning she shouldn't have made the whole complicating deal). but seeing it in action, i do see how devastating it is - the warships have range and thus are way off shore, luffy's not going to be able to take even one down by just punching it.
Oct 20, 2012 4:41 PM

Mar 2010
The buster call is looking mighty dangerous, and the bombing has just started.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 17, 2013 12:00 PM

Feb 2012
The pumping blood around his body faster using his legs is a nice explanation and also explains why he's red and steaming.... cool ability.
May 17, 2013 12:41 PM

Oct 2010
Seabury said:
I agree with reinwald, it is pretty ridiculous. I guess the really ridiculous part is that Spandam is in power, but it seems kind of weird that there's no taking back pressing the button. Like, seriously, the marines never even considered the possibility that someone could press the button by mistake? You could literally press a button like that simply by dropping it. Hell, an enemy could sneak onto your base and press the button, destroying the whole base no questions asked. If I were an enemy of the government, I would steal one of these and just press it when I got close to any of their bases. Someone didn't think this one through...

Apparently the Buster Call can be reverted (I recently read this part at the manga, and it's mentioned). Spandam didn't do so because he's an overly arrogant prick who can't allow that people point his mistakes, specially if it's Nico Robin, so he makes up the thing as if he actually did ask for it.
Jul 30, 2013 10:48 AM

Apr 2012
robin and franky kick some ass in this episode and its pretty satisfying.
the luffy vs lucci fight has been dragging, but we know now about his gear second/ whats behind it.
but how are the ones going through the tunnel gonna survive? especially during the buster call?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 6, 2013 11:15 PM

May 2009
I hope Luffy finds a way to stop gear second from shortening his lifespan :(

Also, the buster call's existence is questionnable. Why would the marines have something like it? A measure to destroy an island no questions asked. I dunno, sounds illogical if you ask me.
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Jan 12, 2014 10:10 AM

Dec 2012
Luffy's gear second is awesome but when I see him red and steamy I feel like he suffers from a severe sunburn X( yikes... And also, I hope that he won't overdo it and damage himself!!! Let's hope he will manage to master it!
Feb 28, 2014 5:55 PM

Mar 2008
I love Franky!

Franky Centaurus XD
Jul 23, 2014 12:14 PM

Oct 2013
Again with the fillers :/

Jun 2, 2015 10:18 AM

Jun 2015
things are getting dangerous now
Aug 25, 2015 5:51 AM
Sep 2014
Luffy as usual has the most powerful man to fight & the final battle.
Mar 29, 2016 5:58 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
greenmush said:
are we gonna see the third gear again? and chibi Luffy?! xD

Now that the Buster Call started, Luffy better end his match quick before its too late

I want chibi luffy as well XD

May 25, 2016 8:39 PM

Jun 2015
Robin manages her emotions very well I wouldn't just slap that guy

And the next one it's a filler :(
Jul 21, 2016 6:59 AM

Mar 2015
Franky is awesome
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 28, 2018 5:40 AM

Jun 2016
People are questioning why the buster call exists and why it would be given to a man who doesn't revert the call due to his own arrogance and pride. This is why ever since it was introduced to have been given to Spandam I've been questioning it. Aokiji authorized it, remember this. And now, in this attack, he has his hands dirty again making a deal to kill all but Robin. Spandam got to his position through his dad, yes, but Aokiji was still the one who gave him the buster call. Aokiji who KNOWS and despises the brutality of the buster call itself, or at least did 20 years ago. He was the one who scoped Robin out to confirm she was with the Straw Hats and gave Spandam the ability to threaten her to come along with something that she was most afraid of. He also seems to have not even explained to Spandam that by calling it his life would be on the line too! There is so many questionable things going on here that ever since the start I've been viewing Aokiji as a puppet master of sorts, I referred to Spandam as if he was a puppet being controlled by those above him(Aokiji) and those below him(CP9) all while giving him the illusion that he has any kind of respect or control. To answer why the buster call exists in the first place- it's for the times they need to nuke a place that's out of control essentially. Recall, they used it to get rid of the scholars and those who knew them so that no one could know the truth about the world government. It's for times like those, or perhaps a time where they locate a serious enemy group and feel like taking out the entire island as to take them all out with no doubt is the way to go. It seems Spandam is obviously using it at a poor time here but Aokiji would know that that was a possibility!

I suppose Aokiji could have authorized the buster call purely to get Robin with them because he knew she would act along with them out of fear. That's the simplest answer to why he would authorize Spandam with the buster call, Spandam getting the position to chase after Robin both from his past with Tom and his dad. However, I would not be surprised if there was something even crazier going on! For, there is a lot of confusion.

I love how Zoro and Sanji were concerned for Usopp's life and had a little tsundere moment after they realized he was alive right after they showed some pretty big despair over losing a friend. The problem with shounen's predictability in how everything will end up going in the good guy's favor to a pretty big degree is that from the moment the tower was shot to Usopp's landing I was casually eating spaghetti and waiting with 100% confidence for the scene that showed how he ended up being okay. This isn't really a problem, it's just the sense of stakes can fade and moments like this can leave me bored whereas their intention is to be intense.

The navy marines running from Franky centaur was a hilarious sight. I was laughing pretty hard. I'd run too!

I didn't notice Chopper on Kokoro's back?! Wasn't she carrying him?! Did she drop him?! Am I misremembering?! Choppy where are you!

Someone actually explained to me that Luffy was blood doping and it's something awesome, really. It's a technique that pushes his rubber ability incredibly far and it's something only he could do. It's awesome. It's something I've been wanting since Crocodile explained his spheal about mastering your power that a long time ago. However, I still rolled my eyes when Lucci and Luffy teleported around like super saiyans. It's really not that Luffy can do it that bothers me. We saw similar stuff with garbage villains like Bellamy. Instead what makes me roll my eyes is that Lucci's shave doesn't come from his power. It's just something everyone can do. And the only reason Luffy can do it is that he's emulating that. I love that Luffy can emulate stuff, he's instinctual and a great fighter it makes sense, but the inclusion of superhumans like this that doesn't play off of devil fruit strategy bothers me. I'd much prefer if Lucci's speed was due to his zoan fruit and he had super good strength because of it too. And if Luffy had increased strength and speed but to a lesser degree. I hope when we go forward villains use smart uses of devil fruit powers that can be countered with good thinking, or train their bodies in a way that still feels believable in a One Piece setting, or we god forbid get someone who doesn't have crazy strength but instead has great wisdom and tactics. If in the future all the fights devolve into DBZ style teleporting fights between super strength, super speed, iron bodied meatheads I'll be really sad. The six powers inclusion alone is what takes us to this territory. I want to stress this isn't necessarily bad but it's in the opposite direction of what I've loved from One Piece fights.

I did love the crazy face Luffy had while confronting the claim that he's killing himself by using the form. The line he gave is a reminder on why I love him so much.
"It's better than losing all sorts of things right before my eyes!"
The straightforward and stubborn approach he has to maintain his values and protecting those he cares about is always great to see.

But, I also loved Lucci's response to this by calling him overly ambitious with his words.. and actions. Him flooding the tunnels was a way of showing him in every way he could that Luffy was wrong. That no matter how much work he puts in, all his friends will still die, and he will end up killing himself for no reason. Lucci is as brutal as ever and it spoke volumes about how much he disagreed with Luffy there. That was my favorite part of the episode. The brutality and the meaning of filling the tunnels.

I can't wait to see Spandam's face when he realizes the buster call isn't on his side.

Lastly, this episode was noticeably ugly a lot and none of these pictures were in-betweens.
Jun 10, 2020 11:42 AM

May 2016
Even just one cannon ball from a battleship summoned by the Buster Call's seriously bad news... I wonder if the knocked out bodies of the members of CP9 would be able to survive this onslaught. I hope that the cannon fire would end up hitting Spandam directly in the face kek

Lucci explaining how Gear Second definitely reinforced how awesome it is but it can also shorten Luffy's life so that's a really big price... He has a point in wanting to prevent to the loss of everything he holds dear to him before his very eyes though. He better defeat Lucci quick since his friends will be in big trouble if he takes too long.

Aug 19, 2020 1:22 AM

Mar 2017
how tf they gon escape this
Nov 4, 2020 2:24 AM

Jun 2017
I couldn't help but jolt when Lucci deliberately flooded the place. He was after all, a devil fruit user. It made sense when his intention was to drown Luffy's friends in the tunnel though.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
May 21, 2021 3:17 AM

Jun 2019
Buster Call has been started.
Sep 9, 2022 9:49 AM
Feb 2022
Comienza la Buster Call. Hora de irse.
Nov 2, 2022 11:20 AM
Dec 2019
so epic, buster call! ! ! :O:O whoa
May 15, 2023 12:07 AM
Oct 2019
Oh no the Battleship is already here 🤦‍♂️
Jul 13, 2023 9:03 AM

Oct 2019
Lucci made the water flow into the tunnel... I hope Luffy deals with him as soon as possible because they really need to escape already >.<
Jul 21, 2023 2:50 PM

Mar 2017
Some good Robin and Franky action this episode, but I don't know why either of them haven't just killed Spandam already. With all the crap he gave Robin and all the history he has with Franky, you'd think one of them would just finish him off. 

Luffy seems to be struggling still even with second gear. That power up reminds me of the Shingeki No Kyojin. If you know, you know. I don't want to spoil anything.

And damn I hope our Nakama can make it through the tunnel after Lucci decided to flood the damn place 
Sep 21, 2023 6:41 AM
Jun 2020
Very Good!!!!!!!
Oct 9, 2023 12:11 PM
Jul 2023
Fire i loved luffy
Oct 28, 2023 1:36 AM
Aug 2019
tired of this freakin boss luffy stuff
Dec 6, 2023 12:41 AM

May 2019
First time they talk about an ability shortening lifespan... I think as Luffy fights harder and harder battles he will need to resort to more and more extreme measures, maybe... then he will be doomed to die except Chopper to the rescue ;)

Aokiji letting the buster call happen is bizarre to me. Maybe Robin really is that important.
Apr 11, 2:23 PM

Dec 2022
the power of alcohol is amazing huh? LOL well said Chimney
woot woot more filler next ^_^ i bet filler really annoys the people who haven't read the manga though because they keep shoving it in at climactic points in the story LOL

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 229 Discussion

VARIAchan - Jan 5, 2010

42 by kejora »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 390 Discussion

enkil - May 5, 2009

40 by gannoncannon55 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 389 Discussion ( 1 2 )

VK11 - Feb 15, 2009

60 by gannoncannon55 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 388 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Somebody - Feb 8, 2009

99 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 387 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Sennin_Darkissa - Feb 2, 2009

59 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.