Forum Settings
Forums

At this point RWBY should be added to the database

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 22, 2016 9:55 PM

Jan 2016
NO it should not.
Feb 23, 2016 12:32 AM

Jun 2014
People have used monty's death as an excuse to try and get it on the mal database.. Like: out of his respect for him, do it and consider it anime.

Feb 23, 2016 12:42 AM

Jun 2013
DraynaRue said:
Well that's your opinion, we'll just have to see what the rest of the site thinks.

Judging from the replies here, the 'rest of the site' thinks RWBY should NOT be added.
And that includes me.

An American production is NOT an anime. Even if it looks so much like an anime, RWBY is NOT AN ANIME.
~Where's Gnasty Gnorc? I'll torch him!~
Feb 23, 2016 12:49 AM
Nov 2011
DraynaRue said:
True I used to be the one to say that RWBY isn't anime and could never become anime but the fandom's influence and the success of the show have proven otherwise.

So what makes an anime an anime is the success of the show? That logic is so flawed.

I agree that RWBY should be added but not for the same reasons. Cartoon fans view it as anime, anime fans view it as cartoon. If anything the style is closer to anime. . It's like a half asian kid. Doesn't quite fit in with the asian's doesn't quite fit in with the caucasian's

Feb 23, 2016 1:27 AM

Jun 2014
Mvsk said:
DraynaRue said:
True I used to be the one to say that RWBY isn't anime and could never become anime but the fandom's influence and the success of the show have proven otherwise.

So what makes an anime an anime is the success of the show? That logic is so flawed.

I agree that RWBY should be added but not for the same reasons. Cartoon fans view it as anime, anime fans view it as cartoon. If anything the style is closer to anime. . It's like a half asian kid. Doesn't quite fit in with the asian's doesn't quite fit in with the caucasian's

Hi guys, I just made a cartoon series on youtube with common anime style looking characters.

May it get added to mal?
Feb 23, 2016 2:38 AM
Nov 2011

chrlimitchrlimitchrlimit

Feb 23, 2016 2:40 AM

Sep 2014
Spyro said:
An American production is NOT an anime. Even if it looks so much like an anime, RWBY is NOT AN ANIME.

So, I guess if a pizza wasn't made in Italy, then it shouldn't be called a pizza? Because that's what this whole thing boils down to.

Basically the only argument against RWBY being included on MAL, is that it hasn't been made in Japan, geographically. Everything else about this production screams "anime". Granted, not a really good one, but still anime.

Sure, I bet the elitist weebz are more scared about the slippery slope than anything else, because if you include RWBY, then what's keeping MAL from including Rugrats, Snoopy or Boondocks, and forever tainting their sacred shrine of "pure" Japanese animation with dirty, plebeian Western scribblings. Ack, to even insinuate...

But sarcasm aside, MAL is a database, not some holy temple of Japanese-only animation. IMDB has anime, stop-motion works, hell, even video games and a ton of other productions that can barely be called "movies". They have no qualms about including works in their database that are not even "movies" in the classic definition, made with live actors, recorded on film reels in a Hollywood studio.

Oh well, I guess there is no point in arguing this. Genre-defying works like RWBY or Avatar, even though they looks and feel like anime, I guess they deserve their own genre it seems. Pretty weird, but whatever.
"You know, when people make you feel angry or sad, it's usually because it matters to you what they think. The opposite of love isn't hate, it's apathy. Face it, if you didn't care about what they thought, you wouldn't hate them..." ~Planetes
Feb 23, 2016 2:43 AM

Jun 2014
Playbahnosh said:
Spyro said:

So, I guess if a pizza wasn't made in Italy, then it shouldn't be called a pizza? Because that's what this whole thing boils down to.

Basically the only argument against RWBY being included on MAL, is that it hasn't been made in Japan, geographically. Everything else about this production screams "anime". Granted, not a really good one, but still anime.

Sure, I bet the elitist weebz are more scared about the slippery slope than anything else, because if you include RWBY, then what's keeping MAL from including Rugrats, Snoopy or Boondocks, and forever tainting their sacred shrine of "pure" Japanese animation with dirty, plebeian Western scribblings. Ack, to even insinuate...

But sarcasm aside, MAL is a database, not some holy temple of Japanese-only animation. IMDB has anime, stop-motion works, hell, even video games and a ton of other productions that can barely be called "movies". They have no qualms about including works in their database that are not even "movies" in the classic definition, made with live actors, recorded on film reels in a Hollywood studio.

Oh well, I guess there is no point in arguing this. Genre-defying works like RWBY or Avatar, even though they looks and feel like anime, I guess they deserve their own genre it seems. Pretty weird, but whatever.

Mal is not imdb though.

Mal is not run by pizza chefs or imdb admins.

Using imdb in your argument is thus irrelevant.
Feb 23, 2016 3:00 AM

Sep 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Mal is not imdb though.

MAL is not run by airplane mechanics or coal miners either, so I guess everyone's argument is irrelevant then?

Flat out dismissing other people's arguments with BS reasons is rude.

IMDB is also a database for motion pictures and visual art style genres, so it DOES have a lot to do with MAL. Only MAL is narrower in scope, it doesn't mean the two are not connected on a thematic level.
"You know, when people make you feel angry or sad, it's usually because it matters to you what they think. The opposite of love isn't hate, it's apathy. Face it, if you didn't care about what they thought, you wouldn't hate them..." ~Planetes
Feb 23, 2016 3:32 AM

Jun 2014
Playbahnosh said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Mal is not imdb though.

MAL is not run by airplane mechanics or coal miners either, so I guess everyone's argument is irrelevant then?

Flat out dismissing other people's arguments with BS reasons is rude.

IMDB is also a database for motion pictures and visual art style genres, so it DOES have a lot to do with MAL. Only MAL is narrower in scope, it doesn't mean the two are not connected on a thematic level.

Imdb has absolutely nothing to do with mal though. Using what imdb admins do with their website as proof on why mal should add rwby isn't a strong case since they operate differently and are run by different people.

They are both databases, true. Though, different websites with different approaches.
KagamiFeb 23, 2016 4:23 AM
Feb 23, 2016 3:44 AM

Dec 2012
RWBY uses that god awful cellshaded style that needs to be frowned upon more. It's only picked up this many followers due to RT's influence :P
Feb 23, 2016 3:45 AM

Jul 2013
RWBY can wait in line.

I and many others couldn't give less fucks about guidelines, add TOG to the database pls.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Feb 23, 2016 3:50 AM

Dec 2013
Then we need to delete all chinese and korean anime. They are not made in Japan.
Feb 23, 2016 3:53 AM

Jun 2014
Objurgo said:
RWBY uses that god awful cellshaded style that needs to be frowned upon more. It's only picked up this many followers due to RT's influence :P

Its horrible, though people can like what they like.

I promise you if this was a seasonal anime, barely anybody would care about it.

Feb 23, 2016 4:11 AM

Jun 2013
puella_magi said:
Then we need to delete all chinese and korean anime. They are not made in Japan.

Ehm.. no. Have you even read the guidelines for adding anime to the MAL database?

I second:

1. The following entries are allowed in the anime database:
Professionally produced, animated works created:
◦in Japan for the Japanese market;
◦in Korea/China for the Korean/Chinese market;
◦as a joint production between Japan/Korea/China and another country.
Note: This does not include productions where only the animation is outsourced.

Full guidelines can be found here

Which means the Korean and Chinese anime can stay where they are. Which is in the database of MAL
Feb 23, 2016 4:13 AM

Dec 2013
@Spyro oh crap, sorry. Forgot.
Feb 23, 2016 4:22 AM

Jun 2013
@puella_magi

That's okay :) No worries
Feb 23, 2016 5:45 AM

Oct 2013
If RWBY gets added then we should just add Korean Webtoons in the mix like DICE: The Cube That Changes Everything, The Gamer, The God Of High School and Dead Days etc etc etc
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Feb 26, 2016 7:05 AM
Nov 2011
Playbahnosh said:
Spyro said:

Ding ding ding

Correcto~

I don't know why you say that paragraph was sarcasm when people like Kagami truly do protect "anime purity" like it is their virginity.

The spoon i am using was made in China. Well, it must be a fkn chop stick then.
00001111qmpzFeb 26, 2016 7:09 AM

Feb 26, 2016 9:26 AM

Nov 2008
Geeze.....if it ain't from a Japanese staff, it AIN'T ANIME.

Why is this so hard for people to grasp?

Feb 26, 2016 9:32 AM

Mar 2015
Chiibi said:

because anime = style. that's what most people who want RWBY is added to databese disregarding anime it self have extreamly wide style.

style is subjective, and what used on database for now is not. if i am a mod, i prefer something that has aboslute value (true or false) EX: people who made it, where made it, and to whom than things that has probability (maybe true, myabe similiar, maybe right, exception to the rule) EX: style, character design, animation, story type, ETC.

the rule is already pretty good as the way it is.
KumaFeb 26, 2016 9:35 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 26, 2016 9:35 AM

Nov 2008
But anime DOESN'T equal "style". It's defined by its origin.

For example, Avatar looks more like 'traditonal anime''s style than Crayon Shin-chan....but that doesn't mean Avatar IS anime and Crayon Shin-chan ISN'T anime.

Feb 26, 2016 9:39 AM

Mar 2015
@chiibi exactly that's example of my post.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 26, 2016 10:10 AM

Apr 2015
If an asian was born America but his parent are Japanese, he's still an American citizen...

same concept
Mkim said:
I only beat off to 180 year old woman,
that's like 10 times legal age so I'm 10 times a good citizen who's not going to jail.
Kyubey said:
◕ ‿‿ ◕ do you want to be a mahou shoujo?
Feb 26, 2016 10:57 AM
Nov 2011
So if a Japanese person paints a painting it is anime and not a painting. Stellar logic guys.

Feb 26, 2016 11:01 AM
Aug 2014
I think this stoic definition of what is an anime and what is not is a little bit silly, i wont call Avatar an anime because i know people will get pissed but i dont mind if somebody else calls it anime
Why do people get so defensive here when people use the term a bit broader? Some people act like you insulted their mother if you call this RWBY show an anime
Feb 26, 2016 12:19 PM

Jul 2015
Take baby steps. Start off with Cory in the House and slowly work up to RWBY.
Mar 10, 2016 9:52 AM
Mar 2016
(excuse my english it's not good)

how is rwby not a anime exactly?
Mar 10, 2016 10:09 AM

Sep 2014
seinen-lover said:

Because certain people say so. I don't agree with it one bit, but as I see it, this is only a clash in the definition of what anime is.

One group of people define anime by geography, as in animation made exclusively in Japan, regardless of actual style.

The second group defines anime by genre, as in a certain distinct art style (or group of styles) in animated works, usually not caring about where exactly it was made.

This is why animated works, such as Avatar, RWBY, Boondocks and even series like Panty&Stocking and a few others are kinda delicate subjects when it comes to calling them "anime" or not.

In the absence of one single authority on the subject, the definition of "anime" is different depending who you ask. I don't think this dispute will ever be settled...
Mar 10, 2016 10:10 AM
Dec 2015
seinen-lover said:

Because the western definition of Anime, unfortunately, states that only Japanese Animations can be considered Anime...unfortunately this means that even if a show looked like Anime, like RWBY does, it won't be Anime by definition unless it was made in Japan. RWBY is American so by western definition it isn't Anime...even though it now has an Official Japanese dub and a Manga series. A lot of people still consider it Anime though which is why I made the OP, unfortunately Anime Purists disagree and for some reason think that if we added RWBY we have to add things like Cory in the House...which isn't even animated so it seems stupid that Anime Purists think that, bit extreme don't ya think. I mean tbh this whole thing was futile anyway, this is the internet after all and as we all know the internet hates to change.
Mar 10, 2016 10:13 AM
Mar 2016
That sounds dumb, us japan people anime fans don't discriminate by nationality. To me RWBY is just as "anime" as gundam or HunterxHunter.
Though typically not anime fan Japanese people, call all animation anime. XD
Mar 10, 2016 11:06 AM

Sep 2014
seinen-lover said:
That sounds dumb, us japan people anime fans don't discriminate by nationality. To me RWBY is just as "anime" as gundam or HunterxHunter.
Though typically not anime fan Japanese people, call all animation anime. XD

EXACTLY! I keep telling that people, but no one listens. Even the Japanese are way more inclusive with animation, but the west needs to segregate and pigeonhole everything for some f-ed up reason. Ridiculous.

RWBY should be on MAL, there is no valid reason it shouldn't be.
Mar 10, 2016 11:08 AM
Mar 2016
there is also anime from Korea , plus lot of anime from west definition are animated in korea
Mar 10, 2016 1:55 PM

Jul 2013
Why does it matter? Why the hell does RWBY have to be treated like an anime?

It is what it is. It is well liked, so what? Why do you NEED this that people keep bringing it up? It is NOT anime, so why should it be on here? If it is on all those other sites, give me a legit reason why MAL should bend its rules for ONE half-assed show!

There is NO reason.
Mar 10, 2016 2:44 PM

Jul 2012
DraynaRue said:
seinen-lover said:

Because the western definition of Anime, unfortunately, states that only Japanese Animations can be considered Anime..

There is no "western definition." Anime is a borrowed word from Japan. Hence when people outside of Japan use the word anime they use it to describe the Japanese animation medium. If westerners were to talk about Pixar cartoons they wouldn't call it anime they would simply call it an animation.

I would rather put the Korean web toons like Tower of God on the database than add RWBY. It's unnecessary plus a good majority of people here dislike RWBY anyway so even if it got added there would be no meaningful discussions.
Mar 10, 2016 2:58 PM
Dec 2015
jaesuk97 said:
DraynaRue said:

Because the western definition of Anime, unfortunately, states that only Japanese Animations can be considered Anime..

There is no "western definition." Anime is a borrowed word from Japan. Hence when people outside of Japan use the word anime they use it to describe the Japanese animation medium.

Actually there is a western definition. The Japanese define the word Anime as a means to describe anything animated whereas we, for some odd reason, define it as a way to describe Japanese animations. Same word, yes, but they have slightly different meanings.
Mar 10, 2016 5:14 PM
Mar 2016
why do westerners make things complicated? @_@
Mar 10, 2016 5:17 PM
Mar 2016
jaesuk97 said:
DraynaRue said:

There is no "western definition." Anime is a borrowed word from Japan. Hence when people outside of Japan use the word anime they use it to describe the Japanese animation medium. If westerners were to talk about Pixar cartoons they wouldn't call it anime they would simply call it an animation.

I would rather put the Korean web toons like Tower of God on the database than add RWBY. It's unnecessary plus a good majority of people here dislike RWBY anyway so even if it got added there would be no meaningful discussions.

Well not all anime is well liked, I think credit must be given when credit is due :D
Mar 10, 2016 5:36 PM
Mar 2016
Chiibi said:

I'M AN ANIME!? O_O
Mar 10, 2016 5:40 PM
Dec 2015
seinen-lover said:

Yeah us westerners be weird like that, haha. We're just a buncha baka gaijin :'D
Mar 10, 2016 5:44 PM
Mar 2016
DraynaRue said:
seinen-lover said:

Yeah us westerners be weird like that, haha. We're just a buncha baka gaijin :'D

buncha? What is buncha?

well, I believe in here I am the gaijin.
Mar 10, 2016 5:51 PM
Dec 2015
seinen-lover said:
DraynaRue said:

buncha? What is buncha?

well, I believe in here I am the gaijin.

Buncha = bunch of
Mar 10, 2016 5:54 PM
Mar 2016
mangaka-ish said:

It is what it is. It is well liked, so what? Why do you NEED this that people keep bringing it up? It is NOT anime, so why should it be on here? If it is on all those other sites, give me a legit reason why MAL should bend its rules for ONE half-assed show!

There is NO reason.

Because it's anime? and what's MAL and half-assed? (again sorry)
Mar 10, 2016 6:03 PM

Oct 2014
If you look at the page for the RWBY manga you'll notice that it says "Adaption:" without providing a link to anything. This is likely in reference to the fact that there is an anime adaption, but it doesn't fit the database rules. The My Little Pony manga does not have this. The anime is produced in the United States and the primary audience is people from there. Plenty of other animations are dubbed into Japanese. Frozen is targeted at children in general regardless of their country of origin, but since it was created in the US it cannot be considered anime. Pokemon is also simply targeted at children and it was made in Japan so it's considered anime.
Mar 10, 2016 6:13 PM

Sep 2015
It's not made by the Japanese, bruh. Why is that so hard to understand?

Masterpiece from start to finish. Truly byoutiful.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Mar 10, 2016 6:34 PM
Mar 2016
-Senpai- said:
It's not made by the Japanese, bruh. Why is that so hard to understand?

Masterpiece from start to finish. Truly byoutiful.

As a Japanese foreigner, I tell you being japanese doesn't make it not anime, the japanese population is declining so if you want your great grandchildren to watch anime, start make it yourselves :P

I would rather have my descendants to enjoy foreign anime, than no anime at all
Mar 11, 2016 5:55 AM

Nov 2014
@seinen-lover - I don't know if anyone has told you this before, but this site has it's own set of rules regarding what is and isn't allowed in the database.

Please read the Anime DB Guidelines thoroughly first. They won't change based on the opinion of a few.

The point in question isn't whether RWBY is an anime or not.
Mar 11, 2016 12:36 PM

Jul 2013
seinen-lover said:
mangaka-ish said:

There is NO reason.

Because it's anime? and what's MAL and half-assed? (again sorry)

MAL is MyAnimeList. It is basically an abbreviation of the site's name. Lol, and half-assed is something done without a lot of thought and effort.
Mar 11, 2016 7:39 PM

Jul 2012
YayaChibi said:
Mayuka said:
No, the Anime was not created in Japan.

It wasn't created in Japan but there is an official Japanese dub.
So does Frozen, Twilight and Divergent.
Mar 11, 2016 7:47 PM

Jul 2012
YayaChibi said:
Mayuka said:
So does Frozen, Twilight and Divergent.

My point exactly. In japan if you ask someone what is Frozen they will answer anime. Becuse Anime translates directly into Animation. So therefore if the show is an animationand it has a Japanese dub it is an anime.
Do you have actual proof of this or...
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8680 by Mister_Kay »»
10 hours ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

685 by Una_Sama89 »»
Yesterday, 6:00 AM

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GanjiTheDude - Mar 30, 2023

756 by YoshiYogurt »»
Apr 20, 1:12 PM

» Could we stop having Justin Cook at the start of every anime entry's staff list?

El-Melloi - Jul 29, 2023

10 by MadanielFL »»
Apr 20, 11:44 AM

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Official French/German/Spanish Titles Here

Kineta - Nov 10, 2021

45 by Vaturna »»
Apr 18, 3:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.