Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 26, 2008 1:16 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
not really as good as the last three episodes, but its still interesting to see the founding of Aria Company
Feb 26, 2008 7:16 AM

Dec 2007
It was interesting, yeah, but not nearly as lovely as the last few episodes.

Ah well. ARIA is ARIA, and even if it's more about stuff and less about pleasantness, it's still very relaxing and gentle :)
Feb 26, 2008 1:36 PM

Nov 2007
I really liked this one. D:
Feb 26, 2008 7:37 PM

Jan 2008
Yeah, not the best episode but still good. One thing was bugging me though, Grandma was too busy as an employee of a company, so she decides to open her own company? Yeah, not a very smart solution, talk to any small business owner and they will tell you of the workload that it entails.
Feb 27, 2008 5:22 PM

Jan 2008
So we finally get to find out how Grandma started the company. But, I still don't really understand why. Did she just want to start her own business or make President ARIA a president or just so she could share the same view with him or give him something to do? hmm...
Mar 18, 2008 3:21 AM

Jan 2007
i really enjoyed this one as well. it was great to learn the history of Aria Co. and the passing of the torch to Akari.
Jun 30, 2008 1:41 AM

Jan 2008
We get to see how Aria Company started! But the reason for starting it seemed too unreasonable :/

But anyway, still a good episode.
Nov 16, 2008 3:36 PM

Jan 2008
I enjoyed this episode~ :)
It was pleasant to see the way Grandma started Aria company and how President Aria influenced her. Although it was an unreasonable start - it was still a nice episode ^_^

Amazing sig set thanks to -DraGonZ-
Mar 10, 2009 10:35 AM

Jul 2007
I wept when I saw Aria sitting there all lonely.
Apr 21, 2009 9:44 PM

Aug 2008
What an amazing episode, we get to learn of Aria's founding and the the line of succession from the beginning. And to think it all started from a single plump martian cat!

Jun 24, 2009 3:51 PM

Apr 2008
sweet episode =D
Aria president so quiet long time ago hahas~

Aug 28, 2009 11:22 AM

Feb 2008
Aria was really working that raincoat.
Nov 22, 2009 1:57 AM

Jun 2009
Weird, thought this episode was one of the best of this season. Unreasonable or not.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 23, 2010 11:44 PM

Jan 2009
Interesting ep...

Mar 17, 2010 6:06 PM

Oct 2008
Grandma looked so beautiful when she was younger.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Mar 20, 2010 5:01 PM

Aug 2009
The fuck is up with this poll? This episode is one of the best out there. I don't know about you guys but I really liked or should I say loved this episode just like the others. Aria doesn't have any bad episode y'know? :)

Few things I loved in this episode were:
1. Neo-Burano. It's good to see a place other than Neo-Venezia. It's also good to see Anna and her family. I guess she was the one who thought of the pole idea but didn't get to finish it.
2. Grandma. Oh that past sure was lovely. Teenager Grandma sure was hot, she's in the level of Alicia or even better, lol. I wonder how she got her height now. She's like less than double of her size when she was young.
3. Aria. Damn son how old are you now, lol. I wonder why Aria stayed in that one spot back then and didn't say a thing to Grandma. I wonder what's up.

I think this episode is foreshadowing something. In the end when the "Aria" girls talked about Akari's own Aria company, I guess Akari's going to become a prima and teach a junior also. Ai maybe? GOSH I CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT. D:<
Mar 29, 2010 6:06 PM

Oct 2007
Wow, grandma shrunk by like 2 feet from her prime.

I didn't realize that Aria Company had 2 employees, in addition to Grandma, at one time. But why do I get this feeling that Alicia has to leave when Akari becomes a prima?
Apr 12, 2010 4:20 AM

Jun 2008
BRS_CHIYO said:
So we finally get to find out how Grandma started the company. But, I still don't really understand why. Did she just want to start her own business or make President ARIA a president or just so she could share the same view with him or give him something to do? hmm...
It's very simple what happened. She was working so much and hard at Himeya Company that she never got to enjoy what was around her. She she ran into President Aria she saw in him what she was missing, and it dawned on her when she saw the Martian sunrise. One does not live to work, but work to live (yeah, I know that sounds cliche'). Thus Aria Company was born for her to do what she loves (gondolering) but without all the work. She could focus on what's around her, about what's around the city and can work however she wants.

I did love this episodes because of seeing all four employees of Aria Company. I didn't know there was one between Grandma and Alicia. Grandma actually trained two Undines. :). Akira is now the next in line to run Aria when Alica leaves.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

May 12, 2010 11:29 AM

Dec 2007
Watching this episode on my 3rd run through of the series, I realised plenty of flaws with this episode.

1) When Anna left the company, Alicia was already a Prima, which could not have been the case according to Aria the OVA Arietta, because she supposedly made a selfish remark that did not want Grandma to sta. In other words, when Alicia became a Prima, Grandma already left, meaning it would have been impossible for Anna to apologise for her selfishness!

2) Aria was with the company when founded, which was when Grandma was a 17 year veteran of the business. Judging by the Primas' ages, this would mean that that was when she was around her mid 30s. By then, Aria was already a grown car, ie, not a kitten, meaning that as of this episode, Aria is well over 30 years old. Downright impossible if you ask me. This also means that Aria is actualy a perverted old man chasing after Hime like that, and that Maa has a weird crush on an old man.

3) Of course, the inconsistency of Grandma's height continues, with this episode being the most obvious. In previous seasons, she is shown to be shorter than Alice, obviously very different from what this episode has shown, possibly being as tall as Akira.

4) Alicia was handed down the company by Grandma. So, in other words, since its existence, Aria company has 5 known employees, Grandma, Alicia, Akari, Anna, and the unknown one that made the palina plans back in Natural. So, why did all the other Undines leave the company? Grandma must have been one hell of a slave driver to get the other Undines out of the company. This also means that in 30 years of its establishment, Grandma could not find a successor till Alicia, which was not logical again, because Anna was supposedly better/more popular than Alicia. meaning she would have been the better successor.
May 12, 2010 12:36 PM

Jan 2010
not really good!? O.o,this is i think the 3rd best episode of all the 3 seasons...Aria the origination is just unbelivable :)

1.Aria the animation...ep9 i think(the one where they meet grandma)
2.Aria the origination...ep6
3.Aria the origination...ep7
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
May 12, 2010 12:36 PM

Jan 2010
not really good!? O.o,this is i think the 3rd best episode of all the 3 seasons...Aria the origination is just unbelivable :)

1.Aria the animation...ep9 i think(the one where they meet grandma)
2.Aria the origination...ep6
3.Aria the origination...ep7

5/5

PS:i forgot to mention the amazing insert song:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0pF8YJ2peE&feature=related
clannad4everMay 12, 2010 9:12 PM
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jan 2, 2011 12:24 PM

Nov 2007
Despite being an "Anime Only" episode which doesn't follow the manga with anime only characters as Anna and her family is introduced, it was a very good episode none the less. I didn't enjoy it as much as I did for the last 6 episodes and seemed to have some flaws in it, but it sure was good to see Grandma in her younger days yet again.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 15, 2011 2:15 AM

Feb 2011
Aria doesn't have any bad episode doesn't it and it's interesting to know how ARIA Company is founded. I totally enjoyed this one too :)
May 18, 2011 11:27 AM

May 2010
I love this Anime so much
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 9, 2012 6:33 AM

Sep 2012
rabbitpoets said:
Wow, grandma shrunk by like 2 feet from her prime.

I didn't realize that Aria Company had 2 employees, in addition to Grandma, at one time. But why do I get this feeling that Alicia has to leave when Akari becomes a prima?

I get this feeling more and more through this season. It seems she's going to leave after Akari become a Prima, it will be sad.
Nov 3, 2012 5:39 PM

Aug 2011
Scud said:

Same here. :'(

And I feel that the whole marriage situation foreshadows what will happen to Alicia. Maybe she's going to meet someone in the next few episodes? Akari's Aria Company definitely hints that Alicia is going to move on soon.
CrimsonPhantomNov 3, 2012 5:43 PM
Jan 6, 2013 5:35 AM

May 2012
That was an amazing episode! Really loved the backstory of aria and Grandma!
Sep 29, 2013 5:39 PM

Dec 2012
Another nice episode. It was interesting to catch a glimpse of the past, Grandma was gorgeous. Also like how it showed how she met President Aria. What I got from this episode is that Grandma was a very busy prima at Himeya and often was too busy to just enjoy herself to the fullest. It was because she met Aria that she was able to realize the simple enjoyment of savoring each moment and experience and decided to open up her own very small business in order to do so.

Next episode looks silly, Alice and Athena are always amusing to watch together.
Dec 8, 2013 12:50 PM

Mar 2009
So what was up with President Aria? Was he depressed? Lonely?

President Aria remains an enigma.
Jan 1, 2014 4:52 PM

Nov 2013
HalRyder said:
Watching this episode on my 3rd run through of the series, I realised plenty of flaws with this episode.

1) When Anna left the company, Alicia was already a Prima, which could not have been the case according to Aria the OVA Arietta, because she supposedly made a selfish remark that did not want Grandma to sta. In other words, when Alicia became a Prima, Grandma already left, meaning it would have been impossible for Anna to apologise for her selfishness!

2) Aria was with the company when founded, which was when Grandma was a 17 year veteran of the business. Judging by the Primas' ages, this would mean that that was when she was around her mid 30s. By then, Aria was already a grown car, ie, not a kitten, meaning that as of this episode, Aria is well over 30 years old. Downright impossible if you ask me. This also means that Aria is actualy a perverted old man chasing after Hime like that, and that Maa has a weird crush on an old man.

3) Of course, the inconsistency of Grandma's height continues, with this episode being the most obvious. In previous seasons, she is shown to be shorter than Alice, obviously very different from what this episode has shown, possibly being as tall as Akira.

4) Alicia was handed down the company by Grandma. So, in other words, since its existence, Aria company has 5 known employees, Grandma, Alicia, Akari, Anna, and the unknown one that made the palina plans back in Natural. So, why did all the other Undines leave the company? Grandma must have been one hell of a slave driver to get the other Undines out of the company. This also means that in 30 years of its establishment, Grandma could not find a successor till Alicia, which was not logical again, because Anna was supposedly better/more popular than Alicia. meaning she would have been the better successor.

I know you posted this a while ago, but the majority of the "flaws" you pointed out are not flaws. I'll just address your points as a favor for the lurkers browsing this forum:

1. In this episode, Anna, who was a Prima, left the company soon after Alicia became a Prima. We also saw that Grandma was still there. Then in the OVA, we saw Grandma retire, leaving Alicia (as a Prima) in charge of the company. Anna had already left. So in summary, when Alicia became Prima, Anna left, and then Grandma eventually retired and left as well. I'm not seeing any inconsistencies here.

2. Dude. Aria is a work of fiction. It's can't be "impossible" for a cat to be over 30 years old. I mean, Cait Sith has been the king of the cats for over 100 years, so for all we know, he may be several centuries old. And the interactions between the company presidents are primarily for comic relief, so don't take them too seriously.

3. The "inconsistencies" in height that you see are just Grandma being shown at different stages of her life. She clearly grows shorter as she ages. As a Prima, she was probably as tall as Akira like you said. When she retired, she was slightly shorter than Alicia. Now, she is much, much shorter than Alicia. Nothing surprising here.

4. Anna left because she married the fisherman. She may have been more popular than Alicia, but she left by choice (for a selfish reason, like you said). She's still on good terms with Grandma. Besides, if Grandma had been a slave driver back then, she wouldn't have let Anna go. We can presume that the other employees left by choice as well, because I doubt every employee of Aria Company intended to pursue a career as an undine. Alicia was the only one serious about becoming one, so she became the successor.
Jun 11, 2014 1:12 AM

Mar 2013
That guy tried to be so rational, but his comment was ridiculous. Old people being short is a common trope in manga and anime. And on top of that, if we was able to watch until this episode, I wonder how he didn't have any problem with all the fantastic background in The Natural. You can't explain that dead lady taking Akari to some graveyard, only to be saved by a cat the size of a grizzly bear.

The problem is, when you try to act smart you normally reveal you're not precisely the most brilliant kid on the block.

The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.

Dec 10, 2014 4:05 PM

Jul 2012
Scud said:

Omg so was i
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Jan 6, 2015 6:33 PM
Jul 2011
Aria shachou T_T
Mar 12, 2015 8:05 AM

May 2010
Gotta love how Anna was teasing her son.

Grandma used to be hawt! She still is cute tho.

Dat insert song <3

That was a rather vague reason to open Aria company tho. I mean, she saud it was entirely due to Aria shachou but never told how or why. One of the weaker episodes considering that point.
Apr 9, 2015 1:34 AM

Mar 2015
Animefreak17a said:
Scud said:

Omg so was i

Count me in on that :(

Great episode.
May 6, 2015 2:10 PM

Nov 2013
Mormegil said:
So what was up with President Aria? Was he depressed? Lonely?

President Aria remains an enigma.

just braindead

Pleasant ep, nice scene for Akari at the end :>
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 22, 2015 5:48 AM

Aug 2011
Wow Grandma used to be hot and one of Himeya's best undine i'd say.. but age really matters heh. Also Grandma's name is revealed, Akino! another A-name eh, i couldn't find an undine without 'A' in their first name, even those who works on special traghetto.
Also cheers to the seiyuu, no change for a young Grandma.

**☾**
Nov 11, 2015 12:45 PM
Nov 2014
Sweet episode, Grandma was so damn pretty when she was younger.
Nov 20, 2015 3:25 AM

Nov 2010
Nice to see everyone together for the first time.
I wish there a whole anime about Grandma. oh, well ... :)
Dec 6, 2015 7:02 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Anna's son looks reminded me of Misty from Pokemon lol.

And we finally know how Aria company was started. This one to me deserves to be in the top 5 episodes of the entire Aria series.

Grandma shrinks by like 2 ft? Young Grandma was beautiful, imo more than Akira but wow now she's like small. Idk if bones shrink since I've never seen a person shrink in real life.

Oct 1, 2016 10:05 AM

Aug 2015
Grandma was quite pretty when she was younger! So we finally learned the origins of the Aria Company, which all started from her fateful meeting with President Aria.
Dec 3, 2016 5:24 PM
Feb 2015
definetely favourite episode of this season. Damn i love Aria and Grandma
Dec 18, 2016 9:14 PM

May 2016
A++ episode for me, hit me on a personal level. One of the best in this season.

Just seeing a big reunion of most of the Aria employee's on its anniversary was so great to watch. I also enjoyed seeing Neo-Burano and its unique culture even if it was just a glimpse.

So, why was President Aria sitting there the whole time? I think the ragged coat implied he was there for quite a bit waiting for Grandma to notice. Considering there's like a secret cat society in the background guiding/helping the people, I'm starting to think they noticed Grandma's busy performance over the years and started to worry about her so they planted one of their own. I hope this is the case... it really seemed like Aria has just given up on life for a bit but he swayed her towards choosing a new life so clearly he was just trying to show her something else. It's quite ambiguous with how they showed it, it's pretty nice they did it this way as anybody can internalize to why Aria was sitting there.

Also, yeah opening up a small business is really hardcore by yourself in reality, but I'd like to believe the technology Neo-Venezia has reduced the heavy burden of the tasks needed plus it's like Sci-fi lol.

I really enjoyed the use of that insert song, it was really fitting because of its use in the OVA signified watching things change in the setting. Here it's used to establish the change from Grandma's employment at Himeya to forming Aria Company. Thought it elevated the scene and my love for it grows even more.

Overall, hearing about the history of the company and its origins as "hey man, just chill and enjoy life to the fullest." Feels really nice.
Jan 8, 2017 7:34 AM

Feb 2013
A beautiful episode!
I loved it!
It was great seeing all the undine from Aria Company in the same room, and a bit sad too thiniking that Grandma and Anna retired a long time ago, and Alicia will do that in the future too.
Mar 30, 2017 2:30 PM

Jun 2016
Another nice episode. I like how new characters are being introduced so often in this season.

Aria shachou really let himself go over the years! He was pretty slim back in the day.

Pet theory/head canon: Martians, a dying species, took the form of intelligent, cats in order to co-exist with and study the newly arriving humans. They zeroed in on interesting subjects and won their trust by imitating cute animal behaviour. Currently they subject some of the humans to the occasional experiment, and monitor how they react (e.g., Akari going back to the past temporarily). Someday, maybe, they will reveal themselves for what they truly are. Meanwhile, they enjoy the free food and belly rubs. Life as a pet cat might be the way to go.

Aria-shachou, after taking a while to get used to his new form (hence staying stuck in one place), chose to study Grandma, and played to her weaknesses/possibly used Martian mind control (remember Akari coming under Cait Sith's spell?) to get her to build a separate house (might also explain where the funds came from) for isolated study. Cait Sith, the leader of the Martians, is especially interested in Akari as a subject.
May 31, 2017 9:42 PM

Oct 2012
I don't understand why Aria Shachou is just staring at the sky without moving an inch
I thought he's waiting for someone or something.. But apparently not

It was a nice episode though
Grandma backstory was pretty nice!
"Signature removed"
Oct 2, 2017 12:46 PM

Nov 2016
Loved it to see the founding of Aria company.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 27, 2017 9:27 AM

Nov 2011
LOL, how old is Aria, he looked gangsta in the rain.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Feb 6, 2018 4:11 PM

Jun 2014
The last minute of this beautifully changes the meaning of the whole episode. Whoever wrote this is a brilliant person.
Jun 22, 2019 7:39 PM

Dec 2018
This OST.... This scene.... I dont have words

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aria the Origination Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dtshyk - Mar 31, 2008

318 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Mar 6, 6:50 AM

Poll: » Aria the Origination Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

radiantfire - Jan 7, 2008

98 by Nius1 »»
Nov 9, 2023 1:50 PM

Poll: » Aria the Origination Episode 3 Discussion

StarCreator - Jan 30, 2008

38 by Jungle_Warrior »»
Sep 9, 2023 1:38 AM

Poll: » Aria the Origination Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dtshyk - Mar 24, 2008

90 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Aug 30, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Aria the Origination Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - May 5, 2008

51 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Aug 30, 2023 1:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.