Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 26, 2010 11:42 PM

Apr 2008
The ending really disappointed me. I appreciated how all through the series Erin was independent and I had hoped she would continue that way. But, like every other woman in this show, she had to get married (presumably) and have a kid. It seems unnecessary and takes away from her as a character.

Also, goddamn Seimiya is dumb.
Mar 13, 2010 11:54 PM

Aug 2007
lol
Are you a feminist? Of course she would get married and have a kid, that's what every normal woman would do. Especially if she was intelligent, beautiful, healthy and found a good partner and candidate for father. Could you elaborate why does it take away from her character? Do you think she became Ial's slave?
Mar 14, 2010 5:45 AM
Apr 2008
It's also quite clear that many of the people she looks up to are parental figures. Also considering that the first 1/3 took place when she was a kid, it kinda neatly brings things full circle.

By the way, this series was almost as epic as Legend of the Galactic Heroes, or 12 Kingdoms. And that's saying a lot. I enjoyed it. My main quibles would be some visual flaws here and there, though generally pretty minor. Also why didn't all her other classmates voices deepen? All those guys still sound like they're in grade school :P. Does becoming a Beastinarian inhibit your voice from breaking?
Mar 14, 2010 5:32 PM

Jun 2009
It's been awhile since I've seen the ending… so I've had time to think about it a bit. Overall, I enjoyed the show, and thought the ending wrapped things up nicely in terms of the Lilan and Erin relationship. The scene of Lilan picking up Erin and the music was well done.

Beyond that, I thought more could have been done for completion. To me, it felt like they were trying to fill the time span by showing the yellow figures of people at the end and the scenes of nature in the beginning. Also, the scene with Kiriku and Wadan at the end could have been replaced with something like Erin and Saju talking (to show that Saju knows that Erin is alive). That was one of my biggest hopes: getting some closure to Erin and her village rather than having to assume she did/didn't reconnect, since they showed us the grown-up versions of Ake's people. Other small things that I hoped were wrapped up better were what specifically happened with Erin after this incident (instead of warping to the future), and also Soyon's involvement with the Kibas' deaths. True, Nason claims she did it to obey the code but that contradicts what Soyon was telling Erin in the bath about how she gave up the Mist People code.

Also, I still don't get why Soyon told Erin to stay silent about her observation right after their deaths. I always thought there would be some big reveal where the 'gifts' that Damiya presented to Ake were the real cause of their deaths, hence making him even more of a bastard (and more of a reason for Erin to dislike and go against him). In that sense, it would make sense for Soyon to say that since it would risk publicly showing early on that someone in the Queen's quarter is conspiring against the Grand Duke, thus hastening the internal turmoil of the country (and Soyon didn't want to see that happen). Maybe this issue is addressed in the following two novels? I also agree that seeing the Mist People's reaction to Lilan's intervention would have been nice.

I still think this show is a hidden gem among today's anime and I'm glad to not have passed it up. It did a great job with keeping an interest in the story, developing the main characters, and making (most) people actually care about the heroine. I'll miss seeing the younger Erin. The disappointment in seeing the older Erin with her kid is out of not being able to see what happened in-between. It's also bittersweet in the sense that, if there is a sequel, her kid will probably take over the role as main character while an attachment to Erin is still there for the viewer.
Currently blogging: Kemono no Souja Erin
http://blog.thepechinator.com
Mar 14, 2010 9:15 PM

Nov 2007
Great pick wasn't it? I am glad to be one of the very few, (when MAL showed the number of Erin viewers was 200ish) who loved the story right from the beginning and I am glad that I wrote that short review after episode 14, which was a creation from my urge to repel other reviews that time, those that claimed the anime to be a mere children's anime. And I am glad to think that many actually PMed me later on for my review that made them watch this anime.

Putting that aside, its great to see Erin is inside Top 120 Anime TV Series in MAL. And almost 800 fans actually finished it and almost 2800 fans are still watching it, or have plans to watch it. I can only wait and see where the ratings hit in near future, because the anime is worth much more than what its actually being rated at the moment.

As for the anime, a 10/10 as it is, will remain my all time favourites. It was a warm anime with admirable characters and a powerful storyline. While many has complains about how the anime ended, i would ask them to actually show me 10 anime that rounded up so nicely like Erin. You'll see people getting heads over hills with many anime, which have nothing more than fan service shots and iffy story lines. while moe and tsundere are taking away the majorities' interest from anime based on beautiful stories like Kemono no Souja Erin, I can't really blame majority of anime fans for NOT loving this show, let alone, give it a try.

That being said, I won't be a man of guts and admit in all honesty that this anime made me cry, number of times, not only with heart-wrenching moments but also for the times when i felt warmth through the anime. This anime will remain a real gem, in the history of anime.

As for episode 50, just to clarify, who the boy is, Jess (Jessie) is the fruit of the love developed between Erin and Iaru (Ial). It was revealed with the yellow character shots. While very few are concerned whether it was Iaru or Tomura that Erin ended up with, you can clearly see that while Tomura is being shown with the Kazalm's group, Iaru was shown separately who finally found his happiness and working as a craftsman of harps. Also, episode 46, 'Their Bonds' revealed that love developed between those Erin and Iaru.
shanimebibMar 14, 2010 9:31 PM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 14, 2010 9:32 PM

Jun 2009
You'll see people getting heads over hills with many anime, which have nothing more than fan service shots and iffy story lines. while moe and tsundere are taking away the majorities' interest from anime based on beautiful stories like Kemono no Souja Erin, I can't really blame majority of anime fans for NOT loving this show, let alone, give it a try.

Exactly! There are a lot of shows with that type of stuff. That's why I found this series so refreshing and a nice change of pace. Not much to add... just glad to see others feel the same way ^_^.

Well, Erin didn't make me cry, but it got me closer than any other anime. After episode 7 I couldn't sleep/finish my dinner for the rest of that night.
Currently blogging: Kemono no Souja Erin
http://blog.thepechinator.com
Mar 15, 2010 4:27 PM

Jul 2008
The ending was a bit predictable, but awesome nonetheless. It was such a pleasure watching Erin turn into such an strong willed and kind woman. It was also wonderful to watch her ever evolving relationship with both Lilan and Iaru.

I'm so glad she was able to live out the final words her mom left her, "Live and be happy." From the last few scenes, in which she looks so beautiful in, we can see that.

More so than the anime being licensed, I hope the novels are brought over. Getting both would be fine, too. ^^;
Mar 31, 2010 8:24 AM

Aug 2007
ThePechinator said:
Well, Erin didn't make me cry

Wh-wh-what? Well, I can live with that. I had to cry multiple times during the show. The bond between Erin and Lilan is wonderful. I really liked the way they showed the relationship with Erin and Ial in the end, well, with 'Jessie!' and a young boy appearing near to Arrow. There are still some questions left indeed, but all with all, this was a great show. Too bad it had fillers, otherwise it'd give it an 9. They stretched a bit too much with the last few episodes, but okay. Also, the Touda vs. Touda battle looked pretty awkward with the animation. Geh. Another minus: repetitive animation. Anyhow, back to the good points.

Awesome story is awesome. I'm glad they wrapped it up like this. I hope they won't turn the other two novels in an anime, because I'm sure I'll cry my eyes out if that were the case.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
May 29, 2010 3:09 AM

Aug 2008
it was a nice anime i liked it
desolatoApr 13, 2011 1:14 PM
click me plz
Jun 17, 2010 9:14 PM

Nov 2008
Plate said:
The ending really disappointed me. I appreciated how all through the series Erin was independent and I had hoped she would continue that way. But, like every other woman in this show, she had to get married (presumably) and have a kid. It seems unnecessary and takes away from her as a character.

+ 1

I dropped this series because this is definitely targeted towards 12-15 year olds. I was expecting something more mature like Spice and Wolf and Mushishi but this is nothing more than another re imagined version of Heidi. A kid's show for kids.
Jun 18, 2010 9:35 PM
Mar 2009
arimakenshin said:
I dropped this series because this is definitely targeted towards 12-15 year olds. I was expecting something more mature like Spice and Wolf and Mushishi but this is nothing more than another re imagined version of Heidi. A kid's show for kids.

But... but... where's the magic?
Yeah, that may be a show mostly directed to a young audience, but this show has such a spirit! And for a show directed to kids, it is so much full and complex. Yeah, finally a show that don't treat the kids as idiots.

Personally, I have really liked the animation, which was so nicely done, and the atypical design, closer to cartoon but not too much. The story was also very complex, and if it bears plot hole, it will probably be solve with the next season, if it ever sees light.
Sep 11, 2010 8:08 PM

Nov 2008
Tonyy55 said:

But... but... where's the magic?
Yeah, that may be a show mostly directed to a young audience, but this show has such a spirit! And for a show directed to kids, it is so much full and complex. Yeah, finally a show that don't treat the kids as idiots.

Personally, I have really liked the animation, which was so nicely done, and the atypical design, closer to cartoon but not too much. The story was also very complex, and if it bears plot hole, it will probably be solve with the next season, if it ever sees light.

Your view is hyperbolic. As a kid, I remember reading many books and watching (albeit close to 1) TV show that did not treat me like a kid and expanded my imagination.

You give too much credit to this anime series. Of course, this series is different from the moe garbage always shown on TV and it's great for kids whose parents want them to see a different show with Japanese animation. That's all there is to it. It's very creepy to find other members stating how they cried several times during the anime, which even a kid would find as a very extreme reaction.

Maybe many MAL members watched so much garbage that their standards have dropped so low that they rated this show as high as it's currently sitting. Then again, many rated Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood as the top 10 shows of anime, which is quite sad.
Sep 17, 2010 12:52 AM

Sep 2008
I'd like to add somthing I've been itching to say since I finished this series a long time ago. I read this comparison between the TV show and the two light novels, and I was shocked. They toned down pretty much everything that was mature about the books, turned Jon into a farting idiot, introduced the uncle-nephew pair for the humor, and stuffed the whole show with painful fillers, unnecessary flashbacks for the senile and scenes that seem to drag on forever just so they could reach the 50 mark.

Now if they had retained the light novels version and been true to it, and made the show like 25 episodes, I would have given it a much higher score.

I also felt that the fans were being hypocrites when they denied the show was for kids. My post above is enough to prove them wrong, apart from the obvious kiddy animation (I'm in love with the background art), the kiddy action, kiddy flashbacks

...the fact is that the light novels theme was toned down for kids. That doesnt make it bad, but the show could have been whole lot better if it followed in the footsteps of seirei no moribito and made the show more adult friendly.

I've also heard that the next two novels are quite tragic and dark. Now how will they make an adaption on that and call it a sequel to a show that was tailor made for kids :S
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Sep 27, 2010 4:45 AM

Jul 2009
arimakenshin said:

I don't think you should have posted. It serves as nothing more than flame-bait to post on the last episode discussion of a series to say you dropped it. To say the show is targeted at people around 12-15 (Specific much?) is false, the show has been made to be accessible for people of all ages and that's why it doesn't cater to your tastes, it isn't going to be incredibly complex as that would deter anybody under a certain age from viewing it comfortably. It's a family series for everybody to enjoy.

Spice and Wolf is NOT complex. It is clever, but it is in no way superior to Erin. Thought I'd throw that in there.

I also felt that the fans were being hypocrites when they denied the show was for kids. My post above is enough to prove them wrong, apart from the obvious kiddy animation (I'm in love with the background art), the kiddy action, kiddy flashbacks

Like I said in my reply to arimakenshin, the anime has clearly been made with families in mind. It works well that way. I'm 19 years old, almost 20, and without a doubt enjoyed the method of story telling for this. Even if it had its childish moments, it also has its mature moments. I will most definitely have to read through the novel in the future as I'm all for dark and tragic (Which the anime was at times) but I'm fairly sure if it's dark and tragic, my experience with Berserk will just take a poo all over it. I doubt the show would be MUCH better if it followed the novel to the tick IF it's as different as you say, but would fit your preferences more, therefore maybe being much better for you.

Plate said:

I can pretty much agree with this post entirely but I won't be so quick to judge. I don't think it takes away from her character to want to continue her family and live a normal life, however I believe the way they just throw it in your face in the last 5 minutes is questionable and the reason for it feeling out of place.

I liked the last episode but it was disappointing, it feels like they may make a second season. I say this because of the loose ends that came with episode 50, it doesn't actually go into any depth with the characters and what they may go on to do, who is Erin's lover, and generally what happens from here on? I'd love to read the novel.

Still, a 10/10 from me. The series is unique in it's storytelling and it was very heartwarming. The artstyle had me hooked from the get-go, the hand-drawn backgrounds are gorgeous and the fact that the whole thing looked pretty much like a sophisticated childs fairytale or story book was a big winner. The music was amazing from start until finish and all of it is memorable.
Sep 27, 2010 11:06 AM

Sep 2008
Psychodrake said:

Like I said in my reply to arimakenshin, the anime has clearly been made with families in mind. It works well that way. I'm 19 years old, almost 20, and without a doubt enjoyed the method of story telling for this. Even if it had its childish moments, it also has its mature moments. I will most definitely have to read through the novel in the future as I'm all for dark and tragic (Which the anime was at times) but I'm fairly sure if it's dark and tragic, my experience with Berserk will just take a poo all over it. I doubt the show would be MUCH better if it followed the novel to the tick IF it's as different as you say, but would fit your preferences more, therefore maybe being much better for you.

I would actually disagree with the last bit. Its not just about preference. Take serie no moribito for instance, a light novel by the same author and adapted by IG. Use the same animation that was in Erin, turn Jiguro into a farting idiot, bring in tons of flashbacks so your tiny memory retains the story until the very end, and brng in a stupid pair of buffoons who're actually more retarded than the great barney himself. Make it at least twice as long as it should be. Remove the blood and violence, and the awesome set-pieces. People like you would still enjoy it, but its not the same thing...its more like you're degrading something and making an inferior version of a decent story.
I dont know if you're seen moribito; but if you haven't, I'd highly recommend it. Its an epic fantasy by the same author. Moribito was not toned down, and its still something I would have enjoyed as a kid. The stories in the novels were meant for all ages in the first place, there was no need for toning it down any further, except for the violence.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Sep 27, 2010 12:07 PM

Jul 2009
eyerok said:
Psychodrake said:

I would actually disagree with the last bit. Its not just about preference. Take serie no moribito for instance, a light novel by the same author and adapted by IG. Use the same animation that was in Erin, turn Jiguro into a farting idiot, bring in tons of flashbacks so your tiny memory retains the story until the very end, and brng in a stupid pair of buffoons who're actually more retarded than the great barney himself. Make it at least twice as long as it should be. Remove the blood and violence, and the awesome set-pieces. People like you would still enjoy it, but its not the same thing...its more like you're degrading something and making an inferior version of a decent story.
I dont know if you're seen moribito; but if you haven't, I'd highly recommend it. Its an epic fantasy by the same author. Moribito was not toned down, and its still something I would have enjoyed as a kid. The stories in the novels were meant for all ages in the first place, there was no need for toning it down any further, except for the violence.

I know where you're coming from. I'm still slightly annoyed that the anime was toned down, I dislike it when a novel or manga is simplified for a larger audience, but you have to think of it from a different perspective every now and then. If you say the novel is intended for all ages, that's enough for me, I was starting to think it may have been a more mature light novel hearing it was considerably darker and more tragic than the anime. Still, the anime managed to capture me. It was a very enjoyable watch and never felt like a waste of time, there were a lot of flashbacks but they were usually short scenes with only two full recap episodes throughout the series. Let us compare that to Gundam Seed where they run out of ideas and spam nothing but flashbacks for almost 10 episodes (Maybe even more).

I can't comment on the story itself being degraded - It has a nice story, if it's a downgraded version of novels story, that is even more hype for reading the novel. The world of Erin from the anime felt alive, lush and busy, something a lot of longer anime series fail at in my opinion. The production values aren't too shabby either apart from the random 3D scenes that don't look too good.

I really hope the novel gets published in English, I feel like I'm missing out. I'll also be giving Moribito a go, after hearing it was the same author I couldn't hold myself back.
Sep 28, 2010 12:20 AM

Sep 2008
Its not that the story itself was changed or anything actually, just a couple of minor changes not significant individually but taken together they did help in changing the tone of the story. The sequels to the adapted material are a bit darker, according to dtshyk.

There's a little anime-novel comparison done by someone, its for the first light novel (the anime version adapts the story of the first two light novels, the two sequel novels that follow are based around the grownup erin, from what I gather)

http://blog.lhyeung.net/lang/en-uk/2009/09/16/kemono-no-souja-erin-novel-and-anime-comparison-vol-1/
Oct 6, 2010 2:23 PM
Nov 2008
It. Was. So. Friggin. Slow.
A length of around 36 ep would've made this show better. I'm all for slow pace when it's actually meaningful and builds up the athomsphere, but there were episodes that didnt really have anything happen and all those superlong scenes of scenery and silent moments got a bit tiring.

Otherwise nice, especially the first 20 or so episodes that centered around Erin's growth and not the country... And the OST became a bit repetitive by the end.

Even though the middle of the show was so slow this ep kind of felt too short to resolve everything. It omitted Ial+Erin moments, the side-characters reactions to the events and, uhm what happened with Ngan?

Still enjoyed the series but I expected more after Seirei no Moribito :/. 7,5/10
May 4, 2011 8:00 PM

Feb 2009
koreye said:

I have seen Moribito, and it is a sack of shite. The prince is an annoying idiot for 12 episodes. Then you have two stupid orphan kids which the show focusses too much time on. A pansy doctor who has obviously castrated himself. The awful "political" plot, where nothing is complicated. Let's not forget random stargazer guy who also does nothing throughout the entire show except read. That's right, for 4 episodes you watch him reading. Then 8 episodes explore the prince's character now that he's not in a palace. Then the ending - don't get me started, it was godawful. I find it's in exactly the same mould as Erin actually, very bad story with some pretty good ideas, except Erin realises that the plot is extremely simple and aims to be a children's show instead. That's why I rate Erin.
Jun 12, 2011 6:02 AM

Sep 2007
I am sure, no-one is going to read/care about this, but I still want to reply:
ThePechinator said:

Also, I still don't get why Soyon told Erin to stay silent about her observation right after their deaths.
Soyon died trying to abide by her tribe's code. She couldn't however withstand her daughter getting eaten alive by Touda, so she breaks the code to save her daughter, which would be very risky if her daughter broadcasted her tribe's powers, since everybody would be all over Mist People for the mystical powers which are confirmed (People would be less likely to act if it's a mere rumor rather than confirmed). The code stated the skills of renditioner be secret, so that heaps of people dying (which is the reason why Mist People are acting like they do now) does not happen again.
Jun 26, 2011 11:22 AM

Apr 2009
Nice ending to a incredible anime.
9/10.
Sep 15, 2011 6:33 PM

Jun 2007
siberstorm27 said:
I went ugh through much of the episode, hoping it would finally end. I still don't know what the relationship between Erin and Lilan is anymore. I went ugh when Nugan reared his ugly head, a one-dimensional character full of contradictions that make this a children's show. I also went ugh at Erin thinking she could just stand there threatening suicide so easily, and went ugh when they all gasped that Mr. Evil Uncle actually had a plan and wasn't going to just stand there like they all hoped, this being in the prior episodes. I went ugh when the horsemen shot at Erin, when the Ohju clearly had saved Shunan's life by immobilizing Nugan's entire army, and they could so have easily shot Shunan in the process or enraged the Ohju when he was on Lilan's back. I went ugh when they skipped the latter half of the battle when clearly the two touda armies were still fighting each other and completely ignoring Seimiya or Shunan, with or without flag raised or Lilan flying around. They shouldn't have killed Damiya. Instead, Lilan should have eaten Nugan alive, limb by limb. That guy is the slowest anime character I've ever known. I'm not even sure if this is an anime only ending. 5/10 for the last episode.

koreye said:
I'd like to add somthing I've been itching to say since I finished this series a long time ago. I read this comparison between the TV show and the two light novels, and I was shocked. They toned down pretty much everything that was mature about the books, turned Jon into a farting idiot, introduced the uncle-nephew pair for the humor, and stuffed the whole show with painful fillers, unnecessary flashbacks for the senile and scenes that seem to drag on forever just so they could reach the 50 mark.

Now if they had retained the light novels version and been true to it, and made the show like 25 episodes, I would have given it a much higher score.

...the fact is that the light novels theme was toned down for kids. That doesnt make it bad, but the show could have been whole lot better if it followed in the footsteps of seirei no moribito and made the show more adult friendly.

Malestel said:
It. Was. So. Friggin. Slow.
A length of around 36 ep would've made this show better. I'm all for slow pace when it's actually meaningful and builds up the athomsphere, but there were episodes that didnt really have anything happen and all those superlong scenes of scenery and silent moments got a bit tiring.

Yes, yes and yes.

Episode 50 was pretty bad, as lady episodes go. Instead of starting with some new animation, the tight-fisted bastards decided to re-use the last few minutes from the previous episode. And then they had the OP track play alongside some utterly worthless images of the sky, to waste another minute or two. I felt dejected before the episode had even managed to get going--hardly the way someone should be made to feel at the start of the final episode of a lengthy series such as this!

Instead of Erin telling wolf-birdy to bugger off and leave her, as SHUNAN'S OWN FUCKING WELL HORSEMEN SHOT ARROWS IN HIS DIRECTION - AT HIS SAVIOURS - AS THEY JUST STOOD THERE, why didn't Erin get the hell out of there with them?... Oh, I know: to create some extra drama as Lilan decided whether to go back or not! (And what happened to the horsemen after Shunan was rescued from the clutches of his own army, exactly?)

The only highlight of the episode was the horribly one-dimensional pantomime villain of the piece FINALLY getting killed... but, even then, because the show was aimed at kids, they avoided showing Ial slicing him. Action without the blows being shown is as exciting as... well, no action at all.

Episode 46 and 47 were surprisngly good, in comparison to the last three episodes, as those added chunks onto the characters; Seimiya FINALLY stopping being a silly little spoiled bitch with a God(ess?) complex. But then, even after she knew that THE UNCLE THAT SHE PLANNED TO MARRY wasn't a nice guy, she had to wait until the very last minute to raise the blue flag of lower class marriage acceptance. The reason? For extra drama yawndowm, of course!

Moribito wipes the floor with Erin, as far as the anime adaptations go. Nothing of note outside of animal slice-of-life occurred occurred until the last ten episodes, and the political drama was ruined - to a certain extent - by a one-dimensional villain without clear reasons behnd his evilness manipulating a cast of idiots. I mean, what in the name of all that is holy was Ngan doing attacking his own people, AFTER the queen had accepted Shunan? HE HAD NO BRAIN AND EXISTED ONLY TO APPEAR AT THE LAST MOMENT. (And what the hell happened to him after his failure!?) I just couldn't fully immerse myself in a tale of political intrigue and betrayal where a dick without a motive toyed with brainless cardboard cutouts.

Without all of the poor attempts at AMVs / flashbacks wherever possible, kidification, filler and the needlessly lengthy wolf-birdy saga, the series could have been fitted into 25-35 episodes. At the very least, I'd say that 25% of the content could've been cut without it hurting anything whatsoever. When a series opens with five straight fillers and moves onto farting/bee slice-of-life, something is very wrong...

...In spite of my negativity, I'm still going to give it 7/10 (edit: 6/10, after going over my thoughts). If it was THAT bad, I wouldn't have lasted for 50 episodes. But, the thing is, having watched Moribito and been impressed by its mature execution/tone, as well as seeing the Erin novel-anime comparison post, I'm well aware that the series could've been brilliant, had it been handled better, and that's what's really getting under my skin. I'd probably like the novels A LOT more; if only because I wouldn't have to endure vocal track repetition x100.
AironicallyHumanSep 16, 2011 7:48 AM
Sep 17, 2011 7:11 AM

Sep 2008
Maybe there were lots of inconsistencies like siberstorm27 said, but to me this anime could not have been wrapped up any better. (Well, I would have liked to see the Mist Tribe people's reaction, too, and I would have liked Erin's kid to have been cleared pointed out as being Ial's, but y'know... Can't have everything! Especially not with a limited number of episodes!)

The animation was great, too. I actually thought the more 3D-ish moments were integrated really well, and didn't seem to stick out at all. Lilan's saving Erin was a very pleasant surprise. I actually thought that relationship had been damaged to the point of no return, as evidenced by Lilan's repeated flashbacks of the time when Erin used the whistle.

Damiya got what he deserved. And, arguably, Seimiya and Shunan got what they deserved - each other and a little "happily ever after". (I don't actually think Seimiya really deserved that, seeing as she spent so much time being ignorant and blind to everything that was occurring in her own country, and arguably Shunan deserved better... But they both seem happy so whatever.)

Blahblahblah. Anyway I loved it. :) Enjoyed the series from start to finish (excluding a large majority of the Nukku and Mokku moments).
Nov 29, 2011 8:38 AM
Feb 2010
Great series, had a few flaws, but since I hardly come across an anime like this, I still gave it a perfect score. Worth to mention that I don't do that often.
Jan 31, 2012 6:30 PM
Aug 2007
This anime is probably one of the fastest I've ever finished. Absolutely loved it.. Perfect score from me.

I've noticed its been 3 years since the anime finished, and there is no sequel :'(

I think I'll have to look in to the novels..

EDIT: Tried looking for the novels, but are they even translated? Can't find anything..
RaiteiFeb 1, 2012 7:25 AM
Feb 19, 2012 2:44 PM

Jan 2008
I re-watched the series after listening to the soundtrack again one day. The harp melody is so beautiful. I do think this is a good anime with a good story despite the constant flashbacks, simple character designs, and mediocre conclusion. I forgot that they don't show Iaru in the final scenes but as a yellow portrait. Well, at least he is smiling and with a harp.

Still sticking with my 8/10 rating. I'm also interested the novel and hope that someone can translate it one day (along with many others). I can say that I will probably watch it again in the future like 12 Kingdoms or Gankutsuo (I've watched both at least 3 times).

I've seen Serei no Moribito but it didn't move me like Kemono did and I haven't had the urge to re-watch it.
Feb 21, 2012 9:02 AM

Sep 2009
ThePechinator said:
...That was one of my biggest hopes: getting some closure to Erin and her village rather than having to assume she did/didn't reconnect, since they showed us the grown-up versions of Ake's people...

Yes. I was waiting all throughout this anime for something like that but it just did not deliver.
May 23, 2012 1:43 PM
Jul 2010
Just finished it, I am biased with this show for now so I can only pass a good mark when I watch this series for a second time. This anime just touched me emotionally, despite the obvious flaws this show has.

However, there was some great character development for this series. You might expect it with a 50 episodes arrangement, I still liked to watch Erin grow up to a responsible girl. Everything she learned along the way it just touched me at the end.

For my feelings its 9/10 right now, but I'm still too biased right now.
May 30, 2012 10:29 AM
Feb 2012
I thought this was a beautiful series over all! Though there was one thing I was confused about. The way that I was introduced to this series was that me and my friend saw it on TV in Japan at the end of January....the only thing is, we spent the semester watching the entire series and didn't come across the episode we had originally seen...

...and that we could only find it with french subtitles originally, so I definitely want to rewatch it again, but with English subtitles. ^.^

Raitei said:

I think I'll have to look in to the novels..

EDIT: Tried looking for the novels, but are they even translated? Can't find anything..

Me and my friend were looking for them and we only found them in French and Japanese... One day I hope to get them in Japanese and try to translate them.
epobbpMay 30, 2012 11:27 AM
Jun 10, 2012 9:06 PM

May 2010
Yup I am just going to take my injured owner and take a round in the sky. I hope internal bleeding doesn't kill her!

But still, I think it would have made a much better impact if Erin had died. I think I know who the father of Jessie is lol
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 2, 2013 1:27 PM

Jul 2011
AironicallyHuman said:

Episode 50 was pretty bad, as lady episodes go. Instead of starting with some new animation, the tight-fisted bastards decided to re-use the last few minutes from the previous episode. And then they had the OP track play alongside some utterly worthless images of the sky, to waste another minute or two. I felt dejected before the episode had even managed to get going--hardly the way someone should be made to feel at the start of the final episode of a lengthy series such as this!

Instead of Erin telling wolf-birdy to bugger off and leave her, as SHUNAN'S OWN FUCKING WELL HORSEMEN SHOT ARROWS IN HIS DIRECTION - AT HIS SAVIOURS - AS THEY JUST STOOD THERE, why didn't Erin get the hell out of there with them?... Oh, I know: to create some extra drama as Lilan decided whether to go back or not! (And what happened to the horsemen after Shunan was rescued from the clutches of his own army, exactly?)

The only highlight of the episode was the horribly one-dimensional pantomime villain of the piece FINALLY getting killed... but, even then, because the show was aimed at kids, they avoided showing Ial slicing him. Action without the blows being shown is as exciting as... well, no action at all.

Episode 46 and 47 were surprisngly good, in comparison to the last three episodes, as those added chunks onto the characters; Seimiya FINALLY stopping being a silly little spoiled bitch with a God(ess?) complex. But then, even after she knew that THE UNCLE THAT SHE PLANNED TO MARRY wasn't a nice guy, she had to wait until the very last minute to raise the blue flag of lower class marriage acceptance. The reason? For extra drama yawndowm, of course!

Moribito wipes the floor with Erin, as far as the anime adaptations go. Nothing of note outside of animal slice-of-life occurred occurred until the last ten episodes, and the political drama was ruined - to a certain extent - by a one-dimensional villain without clear reasons behnd his evilness manipulating a cast of idiots. I mean, what in the name of all that is holy was Ngan doing attacking his own people, AFTER the queen had accepted Shunan? HE HAD NO BRAIN AND EXISTED ONLY TO APPEAR AT THE LAST MOMENT. (And what the hell happened to him after his failure!?) I just couldn't fully immerse myself in a tale of political intrigue and betrayal where a dick without a motive toyed with brainless cardboard cutouts.

Without all of the poor attempts at AMVs / flashbacks wherever possible, kidification, filler and the needlessly lengthy wolf-birdy saga, the series could have been fitted into 25-35 episodes. At the very least, I'd say that 25% of the content could've been cut without it hurting anything whatsoever. When a series opens with five straight fillers and moves onto farting/bee slice-of-life, something is very wrong...

...In spite of my negativity, I'm still going to give it 7/10 (edit: 6/10, after going over my thoughts). If it was THAT bad, I wouldn't have lasted for 50 episodes. But, the thing is, having watched Moribito and been impressed by its mature execution/tone, as well as seeing the Erin novel-anime comparison post, I'm well aware that the series could've been brilliant, had it been handled better, and that's what's really getting under my skin. I'd probably like the novels A LOT more; if only because I wouldn't have to endure vocal track repetition x100.

All my thoughts in one post. The show had potential too. It's a pity.
There is not enough closure for me. I wish they had shown Kazalm, Erin's village or even the aftermath of that battle.

Seirei no Moribito was good thanks to Kamiyama Kenji. I've read the novel it was based on (I loved the anime ALOT), and the anime adaptation is much better. If anyone else had directed it, the anime would honestly be crap.

6/10 for me as well for this series. Too many flashbacks and some other things.
May 18, 2013 8:24 PM

Feb 2010
The anime could have been much shorter if it weren't for all those flashbacks. I was hoping they do at least a montage of where the rest of casts are now, instead they just showed their faces in gold. Had high expectations but overall this anime was okay, not really worth the 50 episodes watch though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2013 7:54 AM

Jul 2010
I'd rather have an epilogue tat showed how life went on after the events. For everyone.

I would've liked to see how the touda are treated and used after the marriage of the duke's son and the queen. Or how people trained as a whole as the Queen is obviously no longer regarded as a deity (or is she?! - both are possible)

I would've preferred to see what happened to all the students from Kazalm and their lives. The poisoner can just do what he wants - one such scene for every secondary character would've made an incredible last episode.

I would have loved to see something more than how Erin got a child, although I understand that this is a show about the growing up of a girl into a woman and having a family is the logical continuation of her story. Nonetheless, we don't even see the father.

Last ep - disappointment.
Rest of the show - meh.

Aug 9, 2013 5:19 PM

Nov 2011
Great series overall, I rated this a 9/10

I find the way that Erin progressed through her character of growing up from child and adolescence as part of a journey that I find admirable. Obviously, her bond with her mother was strong and when she died (in episode 7), it left a big scar in her life. Now as the series progressed, she became a guardian for the Ohju and now is in the role of a 'mother'. I like how the series also adapts a natural outlook on the creatures as well as the overall setting. Furthermore, the show itself depicts the dangers of dealing with beasts of nature along with guardianship itself. The amount of violence at various times also surprised me as well as the stronger appeal to emotions regarding Erin's life.

Surprisingly, the OST of this show is also quite strong and imo memorable. I had my headphones' volume set as high most of the time...and enjoyed the hell out of this.

So yeah, great series overall. I may reconsider re-watching this in the future.
Dec 23, 2013 5:27 AM

Aug 2012
Well, a series that's extremely simplistic, yet extremely lovable that way. I never minded the pacing, because I know this show was made with kids in mind. This series is all about character development and decisions, and there are many times that it uses up many implausible moments and events, all in exchange for that development. And I don't mind it, because it's succeeded into executing that purpose, even if it lost other things in the process.

Ending didn't wrap everything up too perfectly. I wish Erin met her friends back at the Touda village she was in. I wish they showed the aftermaths more with all the related supporting characters more. I'm still wondering if the old man (with the Touda that Erin saved when she was a kid) died during the battle. The anime forgot about all of Damiya's troops surrounding Seimiya and funnily enough, Shunan. How were the remaining Touda taken care of? Were they just left there? And did Lilan just leave behind her family back at Lazal or Kazalm? Again, so many unreasonable and implausible moments, but that never destroyed the fun or the purpose of the series.

I've haven't enjoyed a series like how I enjoyed this in a long time. 10/10, would ErinxIal again.
Dec 23, 2013 9:19 AM

Nov 2013
Kemono no Souja Erin had so much potential. I loved the fantasy setting and the scale of the plot that emerged in the last 15 or so episodes, but several things prevented the show from landing in my list of favorites, namely the constant recycling of scenes and the childish elements implemented in the show.

That being said, the show had its strengths. Again, the plot was solid, especially for a so-called kid's show. Erin herself became a thoroughly fleshed out character by the end, and I enjoyed her interactions with Lilan, Ial, Jone, her mother, and many others. Also, the OST was beautiful and very fitting for the anime, and the art style was unique.

I plan to watch Seirei no Moribito next. Hopefully it will suit my tastes better.
Feb 19, 2014 5:55 PM

Apr 2012
Besides the over usage of flashbacks/ insert songs, I loved every moment of this show. Everything from the lighthearted moments to the darker elements of the show, was perfectly mixed. Erin's development and interactions with all the other characters from childhood to motherhood was simply fun to watch. Her relationship with Lilan was especially heartwarming even though there were moments of fear, anxiety, doubt that tested their fragile relationship.

I would recommend this anime to all age groups despite it being broadcasted by NHK. Great series by the creators of Seirei no Moribito.

9/10

Mar 7, 2014 1:57 PM
Apr 2013
I think that the important thing that I realized from the start, despite reading many reviews that said that Erin looked like a children's show but wasn't a children's show, was that this anime was created with children in mind. Two, something that I've felt with almost every single anime that I've watched (and, compared to many people, I haven't watched any. Most shows I drop within the first few episodes), is that visual media will never hold the total complexity that written works do. Third, what makes up that complexity is different for everyone. Anyone can come in here and say that this or this or this was stupid and makes the overall inferior. Yeah, that's totally okay.

But for me, when I started watching Erin, I didn't want complexity -- I wanted a story about a little girl who grows up to be a woman and has to face down difficult decisions and decide for herself where her morals lie. I wanted a grand fantasy adventure that was slow paced and took time for itself. Erin was all of that for me, and is in fact a show I want to share with my niece when she's a little bit older (or maybe a lot, she's only going to be four this year, haha). I agree that this show was built for a family dynamic, there were a lot of obvious moments meant to reassure the viewer that things were okay (episode 8 was the biggest one, imo). So in that perspective, I can understand why some people would feel that their expectations were somehow betrayed.

Even so, I am so sad for those who were not able to slow down enough to enjoy the pacing of this show, because it really took me back to when I was a young girl, and a teenager, and the struggles and choices all of us face. In that respect, Erin is, to me, allegory the whole way through. Because yes, sometimes you do need to be reminded that even though difficult, taking the difficult road in pursuit of the right thing can lead to happiness. In the meantime, if you want complicated political fantasy, proooobably a better idea to watch something that is more obviously aimed at an adult audience. ;)

(yeah yeah there's tragedy in the latter two books, but considering true change takes centuries and lots of death with many martyrs, it's to be expected)

edit - oh yeah, considering one of the major themes was family bonds, especially between mothers and their children, I think that is part of why they chose to make it more of a family-type show. Ratings being the way they were, I think it was a financially sound choice to make. Maybe not the best thing that could have been done with the source material, but a solid and respectable choice, imo.
Mar 24, 2014 5:35 PM

May 2012
Damn I'm pretty amazed by all the events in this epic and most lovely ending! We've seen the whole development from child to becoming a parent herself and I must say I sure loved the whole development to this point! It had lesser good moments but it also had it's very epic moments and that what makes this anime pretty unique together with the great story telling, pace and art!

I must say I didn't expected all too much when I started this anime but I'm sure blown back by the quality of this anime in the end and while I can't give this a 10/10 rating I must say it scores very high for me at least a 9.75!

All by all I sure loved it and the ending was just way too wonderful! 9/10
Jun 24, 2014 2:34 AM

Aug 2013
Maaan when Lilan swooped down to rescue Erin, shivers ran up and down my spine. That was amazing. And the look on Lilan's eyes...it's 2D but I felt warmth omg O__O It's not the warm fuzzy feeling type of warmth, more like safe and comfortable warmth. Congratulations Lilan, you're the first anime character to ever make me feel this way.

I'm going to go with "that's Ial and Erin's child." The background doesn't look like they're back in Kazalm so I'm going with the idea that the queen and king gave Lilan, Eku and Aru to Erin. Yep yep, I'm happy with that canon in my mind haha.

Yuuyan and Kashugan got together! Kiriku lives and is now a good man! I wish there was more but I understand only the first two books were adapted meaning there's no way they could have included an epilogue...because you know you can't put an epilogue to a story that isn't finished yet (when the anime was created that is).

10/10. Wish I found this sooner.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 22, 2014 1:28 AM

Sep 2013
I will take this as the end of the series. I read some spoilers about the novels and didn't like them.

This experience was fantastic. I really don't get why some people complained about it being slow or too calm, that's the big thing behind Kemono no Souja Erin. Anyway, this was amazing; magical, I would say. A happy ending is the perfect ending for this series.

I hope other anime will make me feel amazed just like this one did. I really do.
Sep 17, 2014 11:53 AM

Apr 2011
Hmm, the epilogue was rushed. We only learn that Erin was a parent, and not much else...plus the rest of the cast is forgotten. Otherwise, this last episode hit the emotional moments excellently. Overall a good show, although the million flashbacks and recaps are too much, and the repetitive sing-alongs got old. I agree it could've been shorter. Still high quality though.
Oct 17, 2014 11:20 AM

Nov 2009
Ahhhh, it's over T_T . . . Well, I really enjoyed this series. I mean really enjoyed it. Erin is probably now one of my favorite characters, and the story itself was great. I loved the scenery, the creatures, and the themes going on through it. And the ending >.<, so happy, also looked it up, so Erin did end up with Ial, which was a nice touch.

My only complaint would be that they didn't make another episode to truly wrap things up, but other than that I loved this series, 8/10.
Jan 15, 2015 5:28 PM

Sep 2013
Pretty predictable ending. There were far better eps than this one. I dont understand why this series was drawn in childish style. This is definitely 16+ or even 18+ anime for me. Lot of killing. Overall very good anime. Wish there were more similar fantasy series.
Feb 10, 2015 7:43 PM

Feb 2014
Decent closure for the final ep. Loved how Lilan came to the rescue :3 I wished Ia-Lu appeared in the time-skip tho ;(

10/10 for this ep, 9/10 overall, being a classic for me :) Only thing that bothered me was the narrator, "Okaa-san", and repeated cgi

Erin will always be one of the best characters imo, dat development too op. The ending left things open tho I'm doubting a sequel will be animated it's been like 5 years now :/ plus it'll flip everything upside down with the amount of tragedy :/

Anyhow, srsly was a classic for me, destroying any age-boundaries and being able to portray so many things you'd want from a normal show, all the while being labeled as a "children's show" :D
GenocyberFeb 10, 2015 7:47 PM

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Feb 15, 2015 11:55 AM
Aug 2014
And that is that; felt like the ending was a bit abrupt, which shouldn't happen if you have 50 episodes to tell your story. A few too many flashbacks, didn't care much for the two comic relief characters, but very good music and a very good main character. 8/10
Mar 20, 2015 5:38 AM

Apr 2009
Wow. My first forum message. Just wanted to get my feelings out. Finished this yesterday! I love the fact that Lilan forgave Erin and even saved her on own will (I kinda wished Lilan should show remorse for biting Erin's fingers off but then again she's a beast). I cried on that part (actually I shed a lot of tears on this series)! This pretty much shows that Erin must be the first person to befriend and earn the goodwill of a beast, and the strongest beast at that.

I wished they should have shown more clips than those nature and character scenes. I want to see what happens after that incident. And why is everyone so sure that Ial is the father? The boy doesn't look like him; the hair color is different that it's almost like Tomura is the father (although I would love Ial to be the dad). Damn, somebody need to translate the other novels... Anyway, I think the little boy would live a better life since she doesn't have her mom's eyes and hair color so no one would suspect him to be of the Mist people and discriminate him.. Erin looks wonderful as a mom!

All in all, I am glad I watched this show. I remember the first time I watched it I was kind of put off by the cartoonish/childish background, but I had to give it a chance since I loved Seirei no Moribito. Very memorable indeed. I am actually listening to the OST right now, and it always give me the goosebumps in a good nostalgic way. I would give this episode an eight and the series a nine!
May 30, 2015 5:51 PM

Dec 2013
Pretty awesome ending. The scenes of Erin flying on Lilan were always beautiful but this time it was even better. So it all ends well and Erin is raising a kid and Kirik is now a good guy. Damiya is finally dead. Very uplifting ending.

Overall not as good as SnM but still a very good adventure with some fitting drama.
AizixMay 30, 2015 5:55 PM
Jul 8, 2015 2:36 PM

Jul 2008
Well I have to give this a 9/10. This anime was a real slow burn but the development that it allowed each character is a rare thing.

That said some of these characters were woefully naive and some were just useless. I wished Damiya got smacked around a bit more an had a slow death so he could wallow in his mistakes more.

Glad things did work out for Erin and Ial.
Jul 23, 2015 12:35 AM

Mar 2015
Lol what? Just when I was really starting to dig Erin x Ial, she randomly shows up with a kid with black eyes and dark brown hair? That is such a troll.

I'll give the entirety 6/10. I think the source material was mostly good, but the adaptation's low budget really showed and rather than try to stretch it out across 50 episodes, they maybe could've improved the art across less.
HalkenburgJul 23, 2015 12:45 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 36 Discussion

wakka9ca - Sep 20, 2009

26 by Rob7 »»
Nov 15, 2023 4:58 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 42 Discussion

DeathfireD - Nov 1, 2009

31 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 41 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 25, 2009

37 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:03 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 40 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 17, 2009

39 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:27 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 39 Discussion

Ahohime - Oct 11, 2009

40 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.